The Paleontology Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: The Paleontology Thread

Post by JAGzilla »

Bold of them to put up a skeleton they'll have to completely rebuild every year.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-GGGY8 ... umentaries

I just got done with this really great episode of PBS Nova from 1991, The Hunt For China's Dinosaurs. It has a ton of transitional Dinosaur Revolution charm, and is just a cool historical piece, recording the first paleontological expedition by western scientists into the Gobi Desert since Roy Chapman Andrews in the '20s. They made a lot of amazing finds, and it's kind of striking how straightforwardly scientific it is as a documentary. I watched the 2014 Nova episode about Spinosaurus and it was overdramatic dumbed-down junk by comparison. The old stop-motion and 2D animation used to bring the dinosaurs to life were so much more appealing and effectively utilized than typical TV CGI, too. I'm definitely going to dig into the other Nova dinosaur material from that era.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

JAGzilla wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:13 am Bold of them to put up a skeleton they'll have to completely rebuild every year.
Every fossil mount hanging up in a museum has something wrong with it, so I don't think the Field has to worry too much!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Noble Saber wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:40 am
JAGzilla wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:13 am Bold of them to put up a skeleton they'll have to completely rebuild every year.
Every fossil mount hanging up in a museum has something wrong with it, so I don't think the Field has to worry too much!
This is Spinosaurus we're talking about, though. It changes more often than the weather. :P

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

In their defense, it was Irritator that was struck with the bizarro hammer this time
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

I'm not convinced that this isn't "merely" an individual of some pre-existing species that's been afflicted with some form of gigantism, tbh (I say "merely" as though that wouldn't be a significant find in and of itself).

An entire species of fat Blue Whale-sized pinheads living an unsustainable & impossible lifestyle in coastal shallows is really, really hard to buy.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The mammal and dinosaur fossilized together is beyond incredible. One in a million. You can't ask for finds like that.

The whale... is probably an exaggerated estimate. Those are routine with newly discovered big prehistoric animals. Every one gets the same song and dance. "Oh boy, guys, this might be the new record!" And then it very rarely is.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

The Perucetus remains and basis on classifying a new species are very much legit, the methodology however…not quite. The choice to purely use a Manatee as the model indicator due to the bone density while ignoring other Cetaceans (especially other known Pachycetine Basilosaurs like Aeticetus or Pachycetus) is baffling beyond belief, and in part why the estimates ended up being so overbloated.

While there is no official rebuttal yet a couple of people with a decent amount of GDI knowledge did their own estimates based on a model that’s more inferred from actual Pachycetine anatomy and ended up with a more expected result, somewhere around 70-75 tonnes I reckon. Which is still impressive given it would make it the largest Basilosaurid and second biggest known Cetacean, but definitely not the colossus the paper suggested lol.

Regarding the head, it’s still small proportionally as inferred from other members of Basilosauridae but doesn’t look as comical as in the overbloated model- similar to the likes of Pachycetus proportionally. Iirc there hasn’t been any skull material from Peru itself aside from one tiny jaw fragment uncovered yet so this is mostly just an inferred educated guess.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

An interesting video on the growing list of gigantic ichthyosaur specimens being discovered and how many of them are now theorized to have been active hunters.

Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

What is y'all's 6 favorite dinosaurs?

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Gojira1604 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:46 pm What is y'all's 6 favorite dinosaurs?
1. T. rex
2. Maip macrothorax
3. Regaliceratops peterhewsi
4. Therizinosaurus cheloniforms
5. Deinocheirus mirificus
6. Siats meekerorum

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Gojira1604 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:46 pm What is y'all's 6 favorite dinosaurs?
1. Triceratops
2. T. Rex
3. Gigantoraptor
4. Hesperosaurus
5. Supersaurus
6. Microraptor
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Eel221
GPN Volunteer

Post by Eel221 »

Dilophosaurus, scelidosaurus, plateosaurus, spinosaurus, barosaurus, therizinosaurus

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

In no particular order...

Tyrannosaurus
Stegosaurus
Kosmoceratops
Edmontosaurus
Apatosaurus

CamtheGodzillafan
E.S.P.Spy

Post by CamtheGodzillafan »

1: Spinosaurus
2: T Rex
3: Utahraptor
4: Giganotosaurus
5: Majungasaurus
6: Carnotaurus
Last edited by CamtheGodzillafan on Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

1. Allosaurus sp.
2. Ankylosaurus magniventris
3. Euoplocephalus tutus
4. Tyrannosaurus rex
5. Daspletosaurus torosus, horneri, wilsoni
6. Triceratops prorsus, horridus
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image