Latest Physical Media Purchase Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
o.supreme
Futurian

Re: Latest Physical Media Purchase Thread

Post by o.supreme »

I purchased the Super Mario Bros Movie (2023) The Blu Ray/DVD/Digital combo from Walmart on Tuesday (6/6/23). It was just there on the shelf. I was totally unaware until just now that this was mistakenly put out a week early :? . I just got this because my kids had seen it and really enjoyed it. When I tried to redeem the digital code this morning, it said the code wasn't "available yet" which i thought was odd... Oh well.... I guess if someone at Universal finds out some stores had the movie early, heads might roll....

I also decided to take advantage of a discount coupon and some points I had on Deep Discount. I picked up Quantumania for around $10 (blu ray/digital combo). Feels odd going back to marvel ad i skipped the entirety fo phase 4. I only saw Black Widow on Disney Plus, but I didn't watch any of the TV series or subsequent movies just basically because I was done after End Game, but something about Quantumania seemed fun enough to suck me back in one more time.

I also got something I had been searching for a long time. I am an unapologetic fan of the Police Academy Franchise (1-4 mostly, but the others are *there*). While I had seem some inexpensive DVDs of all 7 films in a set, I wanted to hold out for a Blu Ray set. Well I guess in North America there still isn't one, but in either the UK or Australia they have one (which DD had at a reasonable $30). My Blu Ray player is all region, so I have no fear of this working, I have several multi region Blu rays.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

canofhumdingers wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:33 pm Had for a few weeks (and watched it recently) but my last physical media purchase was Arrow’s 4K Silent Running release. The film is good (despite those musical interludes… lol). But what I really dig is the atmosphere and all the vintage technology on display. I could easily watch hours of footage of atmospherically lit 70’s computers and crt screens clicking, bopping, and whirring away!
Late reply; I overlooked this when it was first posted. This movie wasn't on my radar, but I looked it up and it actually sounds really cool. I'm turning into an Arrow shill, anyway; if they release anything, my interest is automatically raised a notch. :lol: Definitely going to pick this disk up sometime.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

It’s a good movie, but I’d at least know what you’re getting into. It can be quite slow paced at times. And it has a couple very “late 70’s” musical interludes that feel quite out of place and have some pretty awful singing. But the story is interesting and the effects and the VERY 70’s sci-fi atmosphere are really enjoyable.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Eh, I'm sure the musical bits add their own weird charm.

In other news, I ordered the Warner Archives When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth Blu-ray and the Space Monster Wangmagwi DVD from Amazon. The former is here already, the latter gets here Tuesday. I didn't really want to pay the price they're asking for the SMW BR, and the DVD was only like $13, so. It'll do.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Picked up Branded to Kill, Raging Bull, Lost Highway (all 4K) and Targets (BD) at B&N's Criterion sale, in addition to Arrow's Game Trilogy boxset (a blind buy). There were some other Criterion titles I wanted, but the section at my store has sadly shrank quite a bit.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Recently I got Arrow's Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and Dune 84 on 4K. I also preordered the Vinegar Syndrome 4K of Gorgo that's due out soon. Probably going to pick up Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, Shazam 2 and Evil Dead Rise on 4K within the next week or so.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I picked up the Universal Dracula Legacy Blu-ray set last week, and then just ordered the Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4K, which will be here tomorrow. I've never seen that one, but it's brought up constantly in the '70s and '80s UFO material I've read or watched lately, and it's about time I actually gave it a watch.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:28 am I've never seen that one, but it's brought up constantly in the '70s and '80s UFO material I've read or watched lately, and it's about time I actually gave it a watch.
Great choice. It's probably the single best "UFO" movie ever made.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

UltramanGoji wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:24 pmGreat choice. It's probably the single best "UFO" movie ever made.
Sounds like it. I did watch the first few minutes on TV once, years and years ago, but got it into my head somehow that it was going to be over the top Hollywood junk rather than portray UFOs believably, and turned it off.

Then recently I found out that J. Allen Hynek was brought in as a consultant and Steven Spielberg actually listened to him and tried to be authentic. That's really cool.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

There's a follow up to that story too. Jacques Vallee tried explaining to Steven Spielberg that the truth might not be as simple as "Aliens From Space", and something closer to consciousness based or alternate realities. Spielberg's response was something along the lines of "That might be true, but people want and are expecting space aliens."

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Eh, we don't know that we aren't dealing with aliens. That's certainly what the phenomenon presents itself as, anyway. And Universal did have a product to sell. No harm in giving the people what they want.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Close Encounters is a phenomenal movie. I think the “Directors cut” or whatever they call it is the best version, but you can’t go wrong with watching the original theatrical cut either. The Special Edition is interesting as an artifact of its time (it was a fairly quick re-release due to the popularity of the film, but with alternate/additional scenes not in the original release) but I definitely would strongly recommend watching either of the other cuts first. The SE ruins some of the mystery, wonder, and awe of the film.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

canofhumdingers wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:56 am Close Encounters is a phenomenal movie. I think the “Directors cut” or whatever they call it is the best version, but you can’t go wrong with watching the original theatrical cut either. The Special Edition is interesting as an artifact of its time (it was a fairly quick re-release due to the popularity of the film, but with alternate/additional scenes not in the original release) but I definitely would strongly recommend watching either of the other cuts first. The SE ruins some of the mystery, wonder, and awe of the film.
Yep, the Director's Cut is my personal preference, even for a first-time viewer. I think it adds a lot of much needed character moments for Roy and his family that the Theatrical Cut omits while also keeping the mystery and awe of that version as well.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

mikelcho wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:31 am
Angilasman wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:35 am ^ Warner Archive blu-rays are actually pressed discs,not recorded!

I think Creatures is on Mill Creek's set of Hammer Films.
Okay, thanks for telling me. I always thought they were Rs.

And I guess getting a separate Blu-ray release of Creatures the World Forgot is definitely out. I'll check it out and get back to you.
I found out that Creatures the World Forgot is part of a multi-film Blu-ray set, not a separate Blu-ray disc after all. Oh well, you can't win 'em all.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Got the Evangelion complete series bluray along with the Ultraman steelbook for about 45 dollars total. Both of them have been on my list for a bit so I’m glad to find them at a good price!
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Picked up the Rio Bravo 4K. It was one of the first (maybe the first?) John Wayne movies I ever watched with my dad. He was a huge western fan and of course The Duke was his favorite. Dad passed away a few years ago but his love of westerns has passed down to my kids, and Rio Bravo is their absolute favorite. Looking forward to watching it in our home theater with my kids and my mom.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

My Aunt Ellen gave me a film on DVD-R and two films on Blu-ray that were all released by Warner Archive for my 60th birthday:

*Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (1973) (remastered special edition (this one's the DVD-R)),
*When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth (1970) (unedited international cut (100 minutes)),
*Frankenstein 1970 (1958) (Boris Karloff's final appearance in a live action Frankenstein film before his death in 1969).
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:24 am, edited 11 times in total.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Shout Factory's 4K + Blu Ray release of Creepshow
Ultraman vs Red King Blu Ray collection
Warner Video Blu Ray release of the original King Kong
Blu Ray Double Feature of The Giant Claw and The Werewolf
Criterion Collection Blu Ray of War of the Worlds
Universal Classic Monsters Blu Ray boxset

I wanted to have some stuff ready to go for the Halloween season in a couple months, so I've been adding to my monster movie collection. I'm really happy with all of these. Especially the Universal Classic Monsters set.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yesterday Guardians Of the Galaxy 3. Today walked into a store to use the bathroom, went browsing to buy something and saw that stupid Ultraman vs. Redking collection I said I didn't plan to buy. I bought it.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Just bought Gravity in a DVD Two-Disc Special Edition.