Talkback Thread #16: The Return of Godzilla

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Talkback Thread #16: The Return of Godzilla

Post by Legion1979 »

It's a dreary film and there's nothing upbeat or whimsical about it. Those are strengths but it doesn't really make it family friendly. Also, if your kids love Godzilla the ending could be rough.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I would say there's no reason kids wouldn't be able to watch it. I first saw it when I was about seven or eight, and I got through it fine... right up until the end, at which point I ran bawling to find my mom because Godzilla was dead. So it's definitely going to depend on the kid in question.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Follinollante
Interpol Agent

Post by Follinollante »

Eh, sounds like that'll be fine.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:18 pm It's a dreary film and there's nothing upbeat or whimsical about it. Those are strengths but it doesn't really make it family friendly. Also, if your kids love Godzilla the ending could be rough.
How is the original any different?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:32 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:18 pm It's a dreary film and there's nothing upbeat or whimsical about it. Those are strengths but it doesn't really make it family friendly. Also, if your kids love Godzilla the ending could be rough.
What does that have to do with anything?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:45 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:32 pm
What does that have to do with anything?
I think it's strange that one would complain as to why someone would complain about G84 being too dark, when the original, the most highly regarded entry in the franchise made its name by being dark and somber in tone.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Who is complaining? The question was if G84 could be considered family friendly. I explained why it might not be and was sure to say its darker subject matter are the film's strengths. It's just not a Godzilla film I'd be so quick to show to my child. That's all.

What does any of this have to do with G54? It's not even part of the conversation. No one asked about it. No one brought it up.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:16 pm Who is complaining? The question was if G84 could be considered family friendly. I explained why it might not be and was sure to say its darker subject matter are the film's strengths. It's just not a Godzilla film I'd be so quick to show to my child. That's all.
I know what you mean now. This movie scared me at a young age too.

Follinollante
Interpol Agent

Post by Follinollante »

Just to clarify, by "family-friendly" I mean more stuff like swearing and sex that are instant no-go's for young ones, as opposed to themes or concepts which "may be disturbing for younger viewers."

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I'd day all Godzilla films are friendly friendly.

TOMG has the fake breasts.
Gojira might not hold kids attention
Shin can be a little grotesque
And a few if tge films have swearing.

Other than that all the films more or less are family outings.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

This is why ratings systems and definitions of what is family friendly are a bit bogus. Apologies for stating the obvious, but different people will have different beliefs of what is suitable for children and even in that range, a wide range of age gaps are supposed to be taken into account. A five year old is different from a ten year old. Tone sometimes is more important than what is shown, and I'd make an argument that because Godzilla 1984's tone is pretty bleak it may be off putting and nightmarish to children.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:57 pm TOMG has the fake breasts.
Gojira might not hold kids attention
Shin can be a little grotesque
And a few if tge films have swearing.
The uncut version of Godzilla vs Megalon has pinups of topless women in the cab of the truck.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Spacegodzilla has its infamous shower scene full of graphic nudity meant to bring in the female viewers. That one might traumatize kids for life.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Follinollante
Interpol Agent

Post by Follinollante »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:31 pm This is why ratings systems and definitions of what is family friendly are a bit bogus. Apologies for stating the obvious, but different people will have different beliefs of what is suitable for children and even in that range, a wide range of age gaps are supposed to be taken into account. A five year old is different from a ten year old. Tone sometimes is more important than what is shown, and I'd make an argument that because Godzilla 1984's tone is pretty bleak it may be off putting and nightmarish to children.
Naturally. There are, though, fine lines in certain areas. For example, which is more family friendly, a movie about an alien invasion with no violence, swearing, sexual content, or alcohol usage, or a movie about unicorns that has all of the above?

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

I'm pretty sure I grew up in the only household that was more worried about violence than sex. I wasn't even allowed to watch Godzilla vs. Gigan until I was 9 thanks to a scene involving a certain doofus lunging headfirst into a buzzsaw. One time, my aunt got mad at my Dad because he let me and her two daughters watch an 80s movie that briefly had a topless woman onscreen. My Dad said something along the lines of "it's just breasts," then immediately called her out for letting her kids watch Jaws when they were 6 and 4. Different values indeed. I also had a friend raised in a ChrisCon family whose parents let him watch Saving Private Ryan at 7 but wouldn't let him watch any movie with a sex scene at 16.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Follinollante
Interpol Agent

Post by Follinollante »

Well, just watched it last night.
I've never seen a Godzilla film like it. It was incredible.
My only two gripes were Godzilla's head design, and the fact that the Super-X felt like it was somewhat shoehorned into the movie.
The Super-X, though, I think I can give a pass since the point is that we're getting shown how Japan is trying to deal with Godzilla.
I think one of the film's highlights is the effects work; the movie is clearly shaking off the low quality of the Showa era's digital effects (not that Showa was epitomized by bad effects) while still looking good. The pyrotechnics are great, the animatronics neat, and the miniatures awe-inspiring. I've never seen such detailed, realistic, and MASSIVE miniature sets. Why they decided to make Godzilla bigger is beyond me.
All in all, one of the best Godzilla movies I've ever seen. His head is just a little ugly.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Follinollante wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:08 am Why they decided to make Godzilla bigger is beyond me.
Taller buildings. We can't have a Godzilla that looks small compared to the surrounding city.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

edgaguirus wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:01 pm
Follinollante wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:08 am Why they decided to make Godzilla bigger is beyond me.
Taller buildings. We can't have a Godzilla that looks small compared to the surrounding city.
It’s funny because even then the skyscrapers of Tokyo still tower over Godzilla. It’s something they must have realized because then in Godzilla Vs King Ghidorah they size him up once more.

Godzilla went from easily towering over everything in 1950s japan, the only things being about his height were large radio towers, to being a shrimp comparatively.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

I’m not gonna take the time to multi quote but responses to a few of the latest posts here.

Pretty sure there are no digital effects in the Showa series.

The Diet Building model was intentionally under scaled so it would not be taller than Godzilla in 1954. So there were buildings taller than him even back then (if only just)

And finally, Godzilla 1984’s head is a beautiful piece of art. The cybot… ehhh. But the suit? Magnificent.

Follinollante
Interpol Agent

Post by Follinollante »

canofhumdingers wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:08 pm Pretty sure there are no digital effects in the Showa series.
I'm think you know what I mean. The hand-animated lasers, atomic beams, lightning, etc. Besides, it's an effect created in post production applied directly to the footage. That's digital effects (in my personal opinion—this should not start a war).
And finally, Godzilla 1984’s head is a beautiful piece of art. The cybot… ehhh. But the suit? Magnificent.
Gotta disagree. From some angles, yes, it looks good, or even great, signaling the suits for the next few movies which, in my opinion, represent peak suit designs for Toho.
From other angles? Not so much. Hell, sometimes Godzilla's eye's aren't even in focus, or looking at anything whatsoever, or both. I don't care if he's supposed to be on a cadmium trip or whatever. His head is just hard to take seriously sometimes.