IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Post by kaijukurt »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:26 am This, on the other hand, looks extremely hokey, sloppy, and ugly. Honestly, I think they could draw Godzilla in a pink bunny outfit, and some of you would still defend it for having "variety/experimenting."
Well, any Godzilla scenario would always depend on context. :P For example, "King Ghidorah in sunglasses & bowties" may sound like an indefensible idea on paper but it works in the clearly non-serious Godzilland.

Still, I like variety in in my comic book art styles but I won't just "consume" and praise everything that I read.

For example, I like how Jake Smith's colorful art seems to draw from stylized vinyl figures and designer t-shirts but I don't like how Godzilla's facial proportions are too stylized.
Or for another artist, like Jeff Zornow, I like how the detailing that goes into his monsters (very reminiscent of horror poster art!) but I don't like how "rough sketch" his humans can be.

Point being, people can like art styles not just for the sake of liking it/just because it's "different" but because they actually like elements in what they see or like what creative inspirations the artists seem to be drawing from.
ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:26 am Regardless, I genuinely hope neither this nor Here There Be Dragons bombs so we can continue getting future series.
I'm glad you're still keeping this mentality though, the creators need all the support they can get.
Last edited by kaijukurt on Tue May 30, 2023 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:26 am Honestly, I think they could draw Godzilla in a pink bunny outfit, and some of you would still defend it for having "variety/experimenting."
Don't tempt me. :pelops2:

But that's the thing: I view the comics as a great platform to show things the movies will never show, and express things in a way the movies can't.

It's also worth reiterating that this "expirementation" isn't an American trend. All sorts of Japanese Godzilla comics, specifically the Godzilla Comic, Godzilla Comic Strikes Back, and the Big Comic, have a variety of stories and themes, ranging from historical reinterpretations, to dark fantasies, to even light erotica. I like seeing the range and style of these comics. If these were just "battle comics" then things would get stale quickly.

That being said, I wouldn't mind a world where Rulers of Earth kept going to issue 50 or something, so long as other miniseries and expirementation were going on concurrently.
kaijukurt wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:52 am Still, I like variety in in my comic book art styles but I won't just "consume" and praise everything that I read.
Agreed.

There are art styles I haven't liked, but I just never felt the need to really go after the artist because I sort of accept it's not really my thing. There's also been a lot of covers, and indivudal comics, that I think are flat out ugly/bad/not my thing.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:07 am Image

Um, wow....so this artist has indeed decided to actually go with this art style for drawing Godzilla and company for the entirety of this series.........wuuuuuut daaa fuq :freak: X_X

Judging from the past hilarious attempts at defending Andrea Bell's B covers for All Hail the King and just the entire Monsters & Protectors series in general, it's going to be rather entertaining to hear the inevitable defenses of this "stylistic choice" here. Getting my popcorn prepared :godzilla2021: :Hedorah:

Hope Bubba Blue from Forrest Gump doesn't sue Godzilla for trademark infringement...
I’m not seeing a problem? This looks cute and cartoony and fun. And isn’t this comic targeted at a youngish audience? This looks right at home with art styles in some of the comics my elementary school aged kids absolutely devour and totally love.

But regardless of the target demographic, it’s not bad art. You don’t like it. Cool. I do like it and say it’s good cartooning. And if the story is lighthearted and fun, this art style should compliment it quite nicely.

How is this any different than Chibi Godzilla Raids Again or Goji-ban on YouTube? Both of which my kids also really enjoy and I find entertaining enough to watch with them.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

canofhumdingers wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:02 am
How is this any different than Chibi Godzilla Raids Again or Goji-ban on YouTube?
Yup...and that sums up the problem in a nutshell.
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:46 pm
It's also worth reiterating that this "expirementation" isn't an American trend.
Who said it was?

All sorts of Japanese Godzilla comics, specifically the Godzilla Comic, Godzilla Comic Strikes Back, and the Big Comic, have a variety of stories and themes, ranging from historical reinterpretations, to dark fantasies, to even light erotica.
Yeah, no shit. Thanks for enlightening me though.

As I said, I'm fine with "experimentation" (GvsMMPR, Half Century War, Godzilla in Hell, Rage Across Time, Gangsters & Goliaths, and a lot of these Rivals VS comics have been pretty "far outside the box" and I've enjoyed them...they're vastly different stories and artists. And I'm open to this "Godzilla/pirates" concept coming up as well). But when experimentation falls off the rails with silly off-putting artwork or juvenile writing, then you end up with junk like Godzilla: Oblivion & Monsters & Protectors/All Hail the King. And the profit margins on these comics are razor thin when compared to a few bad films.

kaijukurt wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:52 amThere are art styles I haven't liked, but I just never felt the need to really go after the artist because I sort of accept it's not really my thing. There's also been a lot of covers, and indivudal comics, that I think are flat out ugly/bad/not my thing.
Again folks, what's with this "people just have different opinions and tastes in regards to X,Y,Z" that everyone seems to love falling back on around here? That's not the issue here. My concern stems from a QC standpoint...when these standards go down for the sake of "experimentation/something different", that's how something like Godzilla Oblivion and Monsters & Protectors come to fruition.

I'm glad you're still keeping this mentality though, the creators need all the support they can get.

I hope these books do continue for a long time. Again, it comes down to basic quality/QC question for me. Notice I don't really mind that some seem to really like Rodan vs Ebirah or Biollante vs Destoroyah...while I didn't care for those particular issues, they were at least drawn and written competently and not in an embarrassing manner.

I heard the exact same type of retorts/lecturing a few years back when expressing similar reservations in regards to Godzilla: Oblivion...and look how that turned out. The fallout from that book bled over into the Rage Across Time...sales went way down, and we got nothing as a result for quite a few years. So I'm not trying to be Debbie-downer for those who like Monsters & Protectors /All Hail the Kingor this new War for Humanity book....just very concerned about history repeating itself when shoddy work seeps through and could potentionally sink everything.
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Here's another cover for War on Humanity 1. To appease ebirahmeg1 I think Godzilla looks ugly.
Spoiler:
I believe this might be a reference to that very bad artwork for Godzilla vs. the Seamonster by Kraken? I can't tell if that's supposed to be Ebirah or Ganimes.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I’ll give you that one, that’s the first cover I outright consider ugly. Looks like that one Godzilla toy everyone loves for nostalgia/historic reasons but I wouldn’t be paid to own a copy of it (shogun?)
He Jock it Made of Steel

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:08 am Again folks, what's with this "people just have different opinions and tastes in regards to X,Y,Z" that everyone seems to love falling back on around here?
Because you're not the arbiter of what constitutes good art in a professional setting. You have an arrogant air to you that implies you're the only one who knows what makes good art and frankly people are getting sick of it. You're allowed to dislike the art style but don't go around preaching like its the only opinion that matters.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I'm a fan of the cartoony art styles IDW has used recently. I like cartoony styles because the best ones are clean and aren't too overdesigned. I like them if I find them appealing. Cartoony in of itself is not a reason I like or dislike art styles. I like the cartoony art styles seen in Transformers Animated, or Steven Universe, or some of the more stylized Godzilla Rivals. I'm not big on the cartoony style used in Thundercats Roar. Its just a thing folks have. Some people like it, and others don't. Art is subjective in its nature.

Not big on that new Godzilla War For Humanity cover, but I like the others I have seen so far for this new series. Reminds me of a scaled back, and brighter R. Crumb style. I agree with the stylized sofubi aesthetic the kaiju have here. I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Godzilla vs Fritz the cat when?
He Jock it Made of Steel

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:09 pm Here's another cover for War on Humanity 1. To appease ebirahmeg1 I think Godzilla looks ugly.
Spoiler:
Actually, I think it looks amazing!!! The colors are so pretty! Kids will like it! You know, different people like different things, because some people like this style, but other people like other styles too, and since it’s Godzilla, it’s great! We’re lucky go have this variety/experimentation…

Naah, just kidding :P ;) This cover looks F-U-G-L-Y.

I believe this might be a reference to that very bad artwork for Godzilla vs. the Seamonster by Kraken? I can't tell if that's supposed to be Ebirah or Ganimes.
Agreed, that crossed my mind as well when I first saw this. If the artist is paying homage to old VHS art, they sure picked one of the worst ones.

UltramanGoji wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:00 am Because you're not the arbiter of what constitutes good art in a professional setting. You have an arrogant air to you that implies you're the only one who knows what makes good art and frankly people are getting sick of it. You're allowed to dislike the art style but don't go around preaching like its the only opinion that matters.
Wasted arrows.
Jetty_Jags wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:25 am I’ll give you that one, that’s the first cover I outright consider ugly. Looks like that one Godzilla toy everyone loves for nostalgia/historic reasons but I wouldn’t be paid to own a copy of it (shogun?)

Actually, I agree with you 100% on this. While I do respect it for its historical value, let’s just say that acquiring it has never been nor will be on my bucket list.

Godzilla vs Fritz the cat when?
Get Freddie Williams and Bunn to work on this, and I’m there :godzilla1962:
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:09 pm Here's another cover for War on Humanity 1. To appease ebirahmeg1 I think Godzilla looks ugly.
Spoiler:
This is by Tom Scioli, who's work is meant to invoke (well, Kirby, of course) but also weird, off model art like you'd find on the packaging of a licensed product. He made a comic that's presented as an '80s comic book adaptation of a nonexistent Joe vs. Transformers movie. That's the wavelength of this guy.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Angilasman wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:42 pm
Spoiler:
This is by Tom Scioli, who's work is meant to invoke (well, Kirby, of course) but also weird, off model art like you'd find on the packaging of a licensed product. He made a comic that's presented as an '80s comic book adaptation of a nonexistent Joe vs. Transformers movie. That's the wavelength of this guy.
And for this reason I can like it. Glad to know that’s his thing though. I also like comic book art as a way to be introduced to artists I otherwise might not know.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The VHS art that Ebirah cover is CLEARLY copying was done by Video Treasures, not Krakken.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Didn't Kraken use the Japanese theatrical release poster for Ebirah, Horror of the Deep for the front cover of its DVD/Blu-ray releases of the film? I don't remember anything from the Video Treasures VHS slipsleeve box being on it.

UPDATE: Oh, I see, you're talking about a comic book cover. I just looked at it and, yes, Ebirah at least resembles that VHS cover, but Godzilla doesn't. On the contrary, his position's different and he's underwater, not above the water's surface as on the VHS slipsleeve cover.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:24 am The VHS art that Ebirah cover is CLEARLY copying was done by Video Treasures, not Krakken.
Forgive me for mixing up a bad cover to a vhs from so long ago...

But yes, you're right. It seems pretty intentional.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/articles/im ... rah_vt.htm

Honestly, the art, while aesthtically not pleasing, is a pretty cool reference and its grown on me. I think any more similar and it would have been considered plagirism, so there are clear differences.

Only a few weeks until Here be Dragons gets its first issue...tired of waiting so long!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I instinctively want to be contrarian and say you're a bunch of stubborn fanboys that can't accept variety.... but no, that Godzilla is legitimately awful. You can't even blame the angle, because I think it would look even worse from other angles.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:11 am I instinctively want to be contrarian and say you're a bunch of stubborn fanboys that can't accept variety.... but no, that Godzilla is legitimately awful. You can't even blame the angle, because I think it would look even worse from other angles.
For the record, I think it’s aesthetically unappealing, but knowing that it’s possibly intentionally off is appealing to me. I’d prefer a “cooler” cover, but I do like that weirdness.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I’ve never been a fan of Tom Scioli’s artwork. That cover is just…blech.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

UltramanGoji wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:55 pm I’ve never been a fan of Tom Scioli’s artwork. That cover is just…blech.
I'm not the biggest fan either. A bit too derivative, but I get what he's going for and there are certain projects that align with his vibe nicely.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

The following is not "news", but the way that Salda Press in Italy is handling the IDW Godzilla comics is rather unusual and unique. Unlike Phase 6 in Japan, which is basically just publishing the tradebacks of each series similar to hear in the states (usually with the Shinjuku Godzilla Store having Exclusive covers drawn by Matt Frank), Salda Press is basically reprinting all of the IDW ongoing and mini series as just a regular "ongoing" comic for the Italian market called....Godzilla. Straightforward enough. :Godzilla68:

For example, Godzilla #22 in Italy is the Godzilla Rivals: Vs King Ghidorah issue with a cover that I don't believe we ever saw here stateside (Unless I missed something):

Oddly enough, all of the other covers for this series are the standard covers we got back here stateside, with alternative covers as well. Only the above cover appears to be exclusive to the Italian market. Other than the longer Rivals Vs Stories, each issue seems to include 2 individual stories per issue.

Below is a list of issues and what stories are include as reprints in Salda Press's Godzilla (Seems they started back in 2020):

#1 Gangsters & Goliaths 1-2
#2 Gangsters & Goliaths 3-4
#3 Gangsters & Goliaths 5 & Cataclysm 1
#4 Cataclysm 2-3
#5 Cataclysm 4-5
#6 Oblivion 1-2
#7 Oblivion 3-4
#8 Oblivion 5 & Rage Across Time 1
#9 Rage Across Time 2-3
#10 Rage Across Time 4-5
#11 History's Greatest Monster # 1-2
#12 HGM 3-4
#13 HGM 5-6
#14 HGM 7-8
#15 HGM 9-10
#16 HGM 11-12
#17 HGM 13 & Legends 1
#18 Legends 2-3
#19 Legends 4-5
#20 Rivals: Vs Hedorah
#21 Rivals: Vs Mothra
#22 Rivals: Vs King Ghidorah
#23 Rivals: Vs Battra
#24 GvsMMPR 1-2
#25 GvsMMPR 3, 4, 5
#26 KOM 1-2
#27 KOM 3-4
#28 KOM 5-6
#29 KOM 7-8
#30 KOM 9-10
#31 KOM 11-12

Not sure what story they'll be releasing for Godzilla #32 (Half Century War perhaps?). I can't imagine what a huge shock it must have been for a poor Italian Godzilla fan to be subjected to fecal matter like KOM for 6 straight issues following several great issues of Rivals VS and GvsMMPR...it's akin to going from Filet Mignon to fried rabbit turds.

Anyways, just something interesting I came across (Reminds me a bit of what Gladstone Comics did back in the 80s / early 90s with their "Donald Duck Adventures/Uncle Scrooge Adventures" comics in terms of reprinting the longest, most famous stories by Barks/Rosa/Van Horn/ etc. in an ongoing series). Curious to how these Godzilla comics are being handled in other countries beyond just Japan and Italy.

Here's the link if anyone in interested navigating back and forth to see each Salda issue of Godzilla: https://www.comicsbox.it/albo/GODZISALDA_001