Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Post by Legion1979 »

Amp87 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:01 am
shadowgigan wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:40 pm
Amp87 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:46 am I am not but okay, speaking to a few people doesn't tell the whole story.
You are not what? I already said that my statement was anecdotal.
Amp87 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:01 pm The point is, we can't assume the fan base loves the Showa era films.
You have failed to sufficiently demonstrate this. Even if you had, I still am unsure as to what your overall point is. This feels more like a premise than the conclusion to an argument.

Is English not your first language? Maybe some of this is getting "lost in translation" so to speak.

No reason to insult me, but that's fine, you just need to understand that a few people doesn't speak for the whole fan base.
I feel like you're the one who needs to understand that.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Amp87 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:01 am No reason to insult me, but that's fine, you just need to understand that a few people doesn't speak for the whole fan base.
You don't speak for the whole fan base. You shared your opinion that ToMG and Showa in general are unpopular, several lifelong fans and regular users came in here to tell you that's completely untrue based on their own experiences, and you continue to stubbornly cling to your unfounded claims that most Godzilla fans don't like the Showa series.

Also, not sure what your definition of "a few people" is but I feel confident saying that most of us have been to multiple fan conventions, been users on various Godzilla/kaiju message boards, interacted with other fans on social media, have friends who are fellow fans, and have read/watched many reviews of these movies online. That's a hell of a lot more than four or five random people we've all interacted with. If several users with that background in this fandom are telling you that you're wrong about the Showa movies being unpopular, I think it's time to reevaluate your opinion. Or don't, that's up to you, I've spoken my piece on the matter, I'm done now.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

HedorahIsBestGirl, you're my favorite member on this board. Just sayin'.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Amp87 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:01 am
shadowgigan wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:40 pm
Amp87 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:46 am I am not but okay, speaking to a few people doesn't tell the whole story.
You are not what? I already said that my statement was anecdotal.
Amp87 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:01 pm The point is, we can't assume the fan base loves the Showa era films.
You have failed to sufficiently demonstrate this. Even if you had, I still am unsure as to what your overall point is. This feels more like a premise than the conclusion to an argument.

Is English not your first language? Maybe some of this is getting "lost in translation" so to speak.

No reason to insult me, but that's fine, you just need to understand that a few people doesn't speak for the whole fan base.
My apologies, I didn't mean that in an insulting way. I was having trouble trying to figure out exactly what you were saying. Sorry if that came across as rude.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

And moving on to another subject, Titanosaurus has a unique color pattern. The Showa era had some kaiju with bright colors, but Titanosaurus has the most striking, with the mix of red, black, and yellow.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Amp87
Samurai

Post by Amp87 »

edgaguirus wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:11 am And moving on to another subject, Titanosaurus has a unique color pattern. The Showa era had some kaiju with bright colors, but Titanosaurus has the most striking, with the mix of red, black, and yellow.
Titanosaurus was unique we were fooled in thinking he was going to make a return in Singular Point.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Amp87 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:15 am
edgaguirus wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:11 am And moving on to another subject, Titanosaurus has a unique color pattern. The Showa era had some kaiju with bright colors, but Titanosaurus has the most striking, with the mix of red, black, and yellow.
Titanosaurus was unique we were fooled in thinking he was going to make a return in Singular Point.
He did.

As a Godzilla... for some reason.

God that anime was shit.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Wtf weren't hey even thinking with Singular Point?

"Hey, we know you guys like Titanosaurus, Gabara and Varan, so here they are...as monsters who AREN'T Titanosaurus, Gabara and Varan."

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

People like Varan!?

OT, I liked Mosasaur inspired Titanosaurus that wasn't Titanosaurus. In regards to Titanosaurus himself, its probably one of the better single movie monsters ever made. Probably up there with Hedorah and Destoroyah. Very different than what came through the decade.

EDIT: I just remembered Hedorah was in Final Wars! Talk about a non entity!
Last edited by StardustGenius on Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

StardustGenius wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:51 am EDIT: I just remembered Hedorah was in Final Wars! Talk about a non entity!
If it weren't for the recent short, the Godzilla vs. Hedorah 2021 film, I'd be inclined to agree. For some reason that elevated Hedorah beyond being a "one film monster" for me.

Anyways, yeah Titanosaurus has a really nice color scheme. Another monster though that painfully suffers from poor transfers and releases. I always thought Titanosaurus was a muddy shade of red, but he's really beautiful. Same problem MG 1 had with its space titanium green and blue silvery colors. I'm starting to think I need to rewatch EHOTD to see if the figure is really more accurate with it having some black highlights.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Over the years, I've found photos to be the best way to capture the most accurate look for the monsters. Even more than BD screen grabs. There's a reason why artists, and archivists jump at all the photobooks released at the Godzilla Store.
Last edited by StardustGenius on Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:44 am Wtf weren't hey even thinking with Singular Point?

"Hey, we know you guys like Titanosaurus, Gabara and Varan, so here they are...as monsters who AREN'T Titanosaurus, Gabara and Varan."
And let's not forget "You want Megalon? You want Kumonga? Well, here they are fused together!!!"

SP was trash...barely better than the animated trilogy.
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

StardustGenius wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:35 pm Over the years, I've found photos to be the best way to capture the most accurate look for the monsters. Even more than BD screen grabs. There's a reason why artists, and archivists jump at all the photobooks released at the Godzilla Store.
Agreed. They capture a nice level of detail.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Thomas Latimer
Yojimbo

Post by Thomas Latimer »

I know i'm quite late to this, but i just love this film. Just saying.

But yeah, this is my favourite MechaGodzilla film mainly because of the Human story and Godzilla looks so badass with that (then) new head.

Tom.

MogeGoji1994
Monarch Researcher

Post by MogeGoji1994 »

Yukiko Takayama, the write of this film, has unfortunately passed away. If i remember correctly, she was the first (and possibly only? havent checked) woman to write a Godzilla film
Resized Image
You want S.T.A.R.S? I'll give you S.T.A.R.S!
7 minutes. 7 minutes is all I can spare to play with you

Thomas Latimer
Yojimbo

Post by Thomas Latimer »

Rest in Peace, Yukiko Takayama.

And yes and no, she was the only woman to write a Godzilla film ALONE.

There's Kazue Kiba, who wrote SON OF GODZILLA with Shinichi Sekizawa.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

She wrote a good story for this film. She was also a director.

My sympathies to her family and friends.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I learned from Big Action Bill's recent video on the film that Yukiko Takayama meant Titanosaurus to be a female. Despite her wishes, Toho brands the character as male.

Amp87
Samurai

Post by Amp87 »

The last film of the showa era some fans either love it or hate it, and it was the 1970s production values were low and Toho didn't have the massive budgets like they do today. I will always love these films regardless of the end result it was a product of its time and MegaroGoji will always be my favorite incarnation of the franchise, he was a brawler and fighter. He is often mocked and ridiculed for his performances, but he is still to this day second in the all-time wins list, just behind Zilla Jr from the series in 1998 to 2000 with 38 total wins. This also includes him in the Zone Fighter series which he faced off against many different enemies, not just Mecha Godzilla, Megalon, Titanosaurus, and Gigan. To me all Godzilla films have flaws including the original film from 1954, but everyone has their own likes and dislikes, that's expected.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I dont know anyone who HATES this film.