Monster Discussion #26: Gabara

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Re: Monster Discussion #26: Gabara

Post by Godzillian »

LamangoKaijura wrote:
Godzillian wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote:Found out recently the 'skull' of Gabara is actually a modified Godzilla head.
Source
Toho.
More specific

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Godzillian wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote:Found out recently the 'skull' of Gabara is actually a modified Godzilla head.
Source
It's mentioned in its Kaiju Guide entry for PS3/PS4 Godzilla: http://www.tohokingdom.com/vg/godzilla_ ... tml#gabara
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

A toad? I wouldn't have expected that.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Came across this recently....never knew Gabara had a cutaway drawn for him before.....Neat.

GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Follinollante
Interpol Agent

Post by Follinollante »

Haven't watched AMA in a long while, but I Gabara has big buttcheeks when viewed from behind, if I remember correctly.
Just thought I'd throw that out there.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

His suit isn't the greatest, maybe, but I've always liked Gabara's design. As an oni, he both fits perfectly into a crowd of Japanese monsters and stands out a bit from this crowd in particular. His roar is actually kind of cool, too.

And cool finds, ebirahsmeg.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Wed May 31, 2023 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:49 am Came across this recently....never knew Gabara had a cutaway drawn for him before.....Neat.

Thanks for sharing.

I'm interested in that frog/toad there. The Godzilla Game from 2014ish mentioned that Gabara was a mutated toad. Never put much stock in that, and it's not mentioned in the film, but it's interesting to consider. I guess an idea would be to have Gabara be much more toad like, to leap up and attack with powerful punches. It's a cool idea and I wish they had done something like that.

Thinking/knowing that Sarunga is more of a monkey, it's easier to see Sarunga more as a different creature.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Follinollante
Interpol Agent

Post by Follinollante »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:27 pm I'm interested in that frog/toad there. The Godzilla Game from 2014ish mentioned that Gabara was a mutated toad. Never put much stock in that, and it's not mentioned in the film, but it's interesting to consider. I guess an idea would be to have Gabara be much more toad like, to leap up and attack with powerful punches. It's a cool idea and I wish they had done something like that.
Easy: a toad gets struck by lightning after being infected by atomic radiation or something. Boom, Gabara.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Know what happens to a toad when it gets struck by lightning? Well, turns out it's actually a fairly unique result, and it's why Homo sapiens went extinct in the year 2000...

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:03 am Know what happens to a toad when it gets struck by lightning? Well, turns out it's actually a fairly unique result, and it's why Homo sapiens went extinct in the year 2000...
The above post takes this by Storm.

To me Gabara's most defining feature is the lack of a tail. Even the alien kaiju have a tail. It makes sense the kaiju would be tailless as Gabara is the monster representation of a human, but it also makes the design stand out.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I've had trouble finding Gabara interesting primarily because he is a creation of the protagonist character meant to reflect his own fears and demons, which he does well and helps the film a lot, but he ultimately does not exist within his original film (he's only in the dream sequences, as we know) or any other film, leaving the feeling his sense of utility or potential has already been maximized. It would be respectable to say him doing the job well makes him a good monster, but for me he feels too outside of the franchise to feel like he fits. That's my mistake.
Last edited by JVM on Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Love this ugly bastard.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Gabara's origins could always be tweaked to "belong in" the franchise. He hasn't been seen for years, unless you count Salunga, so he's easily malleable for a future role.
Last edited by edgaguirus on Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

edgaguirus wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:53 pm Gabara's origins could always be tweaked to "belong in" the franchise. He hasn't been seen for years, unless you count Salunga, so he's easily malleable for a future role.
He's very briefly in Godzila: Monsters and Protectors. He attacks Godzilla in his dreams, but it's unclear if he's a real threat or just a nightmare.

It's interesting to see Gabara be interpreted as a monster that attacks others in its sleep. In Godzilla's Revenge this technically isn't true. By using the same logic, we can say that Ebirah/Kumonga/kamacuras, and even the Giant Condor are all monsters that attack in dreams! Gabara being a dream monster is cool though. It gives him a unique vibe and power set.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Maybe have Gabara attack in dreams because he feeds on fear. If he can cause enough fear, then he can materialize in reality to really cause terror.

wireframemonsters
Ronin

Post by wireframemonsters »

I never thought of Gabara as a monster that only appears in dreams but that actually makes Gabara a badass

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

wireframemonsters wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:51 am I never thought of Gabara as a monster that only appears in dreams but that actually makes Gabara a badass
Gabara is literally the dream personification of the bully Ichiro faces in real life who is also named "Gabara".
Last edited by Legion1979 on Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It's not shocking a boy that likes monsters would imagine a real life tormentor as one.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:00 am
wireframemonsters wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:51 am I never thought of Gabara as a monster that only appears in dreams but that actually makes Gabara a badass
Gabara is literally the dream personification of the bully Ichiro faces in real life who is also named "Gabara".
This, but kaiju Freddy Krueger is a really obvious possibility for a reinterpretation of Gabara if he ever comes back. Salunga showed that the interest is there.

Follinollante
Interpol Agent

Post by Follinollante »

He could honestly be some kind of evil scientist/terrorist weapon; they hook people up to an electric machine that puts them to sleep and plunges them into a nightmarish dream world where they're chased by this giant electric monster until they give the baddies what they want.