The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Dv-218
Futurian

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by Dv-218 »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:28 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:08 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 1:59 pm Minor thought: with no disrespect to anyone, there is probably a big distinction between people who are just interested in the Godzilla movies as movies you watch, and people who are interested in all the production and behind the scenes stuff.
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with just being a fan and not knowing which art director did the composites for All Monsters Attack or whatever, but when you position yourself explicitly as "weird about Godzilla" and spout incorrect information, that's where it becomes annoying.
Executive Hamster wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 2:22 pm RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!!!!!!
Love LPOTL. What episode is that?
https://podcastaddict.com/last-podcast- ... /134844043
I’m so glad I stopped when I got frustrated about the Shin suit stuff. Because that stuff in the 2nd paragraph in your previous post would have drove me up the wall. And since Henry isn’t a big Godzilla fan there was no one there to correct or challenge him.

He positions himself as a picky ultra Godzilla nerd, and he has experience in the SFX industry, and yet he doesn’t know baseline facts about Godzilla. Shin not being a suit is common knowledge, not obscure by any means. This is the kind of stuff I get frustrated by. An “expert” of a subject shouldn’t get basic facts that even most normies know wrong. It’s like if someone claimed to be a medical expert and then tells you that the gallbladder is a reproductive organ, you’d raise an eyebrow.

I’ve noticed a general trend that the pickier and more stuck up a fan is, the less likely they are as into it as they say they are. This isn’t true all the time but it’s a trend.

Also nice to see other LPoTL listeners here. The Shane episode is the only one I haven’t lol.
This. In the end it’s all fictional media but people who proclaim themselves to be armchair fan-experts only to continuously talk absolute drivel they could have easily rectified with a basic Google search are just annoying lol. Especially with stuff like this, where we literally have dozens upon dozens of behind the scene footage showing the production material.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed May 17, 2023 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Yeah it’s not like “if you’ve read the 1975 guidebook that’s never been released outside of Japan, you’d know that Ghidorah is actually from a different dimension where time flows in reverse, you pleb (you guys know I made this up but leaving this here in case someone actually thinks I believe this)” type stuff. It’s a “literally type your question into google, finding your answer should take less than 10 seconds” situation.
Last edited by gottatalktothefake on Wed May 17, 2023 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

I just remembered something, back in the early days of the Godzilla subreddit there was a guy who would constantly put a huge paragraph in every one of his comments about how in the future he would direct Godzilla movies and that Krysta and Pips agree. He’d include his age and IRL full name in the comments like a signature.

Turns out Krysta and Pips are those fairies from Ferngully. Needless to say this guy wasn’t ok. We thought he was a troll at first but nope. He still has a Twitter account that posts very weird things, but it seems like he mellowed out over the years and no longer talks about Ferngully characters as if they are real and his friends.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 11:52 am I just remembered something, back in the early days of the Godzilla subreddit there was a guy who would constantly put a huge paragraph in every one of his comments about how in the future he would direct Godzilla movies and that Krysta and Pips agree. He’d include his age and IRL full name in the comments like a signature.

Turns out Krysta and Pips are those fairies from Ferngully. Needless to say this guy wasn’t ok. We thought he was a troll at first but nope. He still has a Twitter account that posts very weird things, but it seems like he mellowed out over the years and no longer talks about Ferngully characters as if they are real and his friends.
Oh Jesus... reminds me of all the YouTube fan cast videos with stuff like Ariel as this character or Tarzan as this character....
Are those paragraphs still there?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Mr. H's homophobic tweets. Absolute bruh moment.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Saw no less than 3 people say that Shin was a suit in the same comment section with only 40 comments

Added in 55 minutes 20 seconds:
Literally within an hour of waking up
Last edited by gottatalktothefake on Sun May 28, 2023 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

It's been over a year after this happened, and I've moved+changed jobs, so I think it's okay to finally discuss this. I thought about writing about it when it happened, but I didn't want to seem like a shitty person complaining about a coworker. I can finally process it all, and I'm writing it out for my own sake too. Apologies for the long story, but I think a few of you will find this interesting.

At my last job I had another American coworker that was twice my age. I tried being friendly to him on numerous occasions. It quickly became very clear that there were numerous political, philosophical, and just cultural differences between us, contrary to how Japanese people (and other non-Americans) generalize Americans. I accepted this, knowing that there was an age gap, and I'm from New York and he was from Utah. I had a belief, at the time, that it was important for me to maintain and endure good communication with this person, despite our differences, so that work would be okay.

Over time talking to him, more and more became clear. While growing up I had an interest in Japanese movies, art, and other random things, it was clear that this person didn't choose Japan. They came to Japan in the 1990s, as a missionary. I'm not accusing them of not liking Japan, and you don't have to like where you live, but there was always this weird aura of feeling slightly above Japan and Japanese things/forcing differences into the conversation.

Why bring this up in a "Godzilla Cringe Thread"? Well, on numerous occasions I tried to discuss movies and TV with him. To me, it was sort of a way of bringing up something that I knew wouldn't be controversial or cause issues, or at least I somehow thought. He was surprised I knew a lot about classic movies (with an aura of KIDS THESE DAYS DON'T KNOW) and that seemed to be okay. Until I professed my love for classic films.

One of the major red flags for me, was when I talked about liking older Japanese films, specifically the kinds of Toho films we all watch on here.
After asking him what Japanese films he liked, I was met with,"Oh, I don't like Japanese films."
I asked him why, and he responded, I kid you not, "Japanese people can't act".

I swear that this actually happened, and it was something mind numbingly stupid for someone to say. What do you mean Japanese people can't act? A country, that despite recent output of anime-films, is known for incredibly classic and important film directors? What? It's incomprehensible. And over time, it became clear that this person had weird opinions on Japan. I'm sure he'd profess,"I can't be racist, I have a Japanese wife", but he'd constantly make weird comments about how Japanese men, and Asian fashion idols, are not "real men" and making weird comments about women. Constant output that seemed to stretch differences between cultures, and demean people, despite similarties existing too.

I sort of kept my mouth shut, and stopped really talking to them about my interests in Tokusatsu.

I didn't need another American to validate/invalidate my feelings on Tokusatsu media, and if it were just that, I wouldn't be writing this post here. I've confided with a lot of Japanese coworkers and friends over the years about Tokusatsu, and it's paid off. Some older men I know will discuss their admiration for the older Godzilla films. Others, usually younger men, have reccomended me whatever tokusatsu series was popular with them when they were younger. For example, recently a coworker of mine reccomended me to watch "Kamen Rider W" after stating I saw Shin Kamen Rider and loved it. On occasion, people have gotten me Godzilla related gifts on their travels. Another coworker of mine from my past job, won a Godzilla 2019 plushie from a claw machine when he took a trip to Tokyo and gave it to me. Bear in mind, I'm not going around obnoxiously discussing Toho or Godzilla. It just inevitably comes up when people ask what I'm interested in regards to Japan. I think it might stick out a bit more compared to many people they're used to interacting who like anime and whatnot. Talking about Tokusatsu, and conversely American movies, usually has always worked as a great way to move conversations beyond the "HEY WHERE ARE YOU FROM/DO YOU LIKE NATTO", conversations that endlessly permeate my life. It's a way of finding mutual understanding through art.

However, we cut to around the time of Shin Ultraman's release.

I wasn't in a great situation when Shin Ultraman came out. I became a father, but my wife was living in another prefecture. Due to work BS, I couldn't move/transfer until my job transfer came through. Long and short of it, at that time I was on a work visa not a marriage visa. While I made as much time and effort to visit my wife and daughter as I could (whom I now have been living with for over a year, so everything is lovely now), it was incredibly depressing and made me feel incredibly lonely. Nevermind the continuing pandemic, or other factors. In Winter 2021 and the Winter of 2022 I had really bad depression and became an alcoholic. Everyday, I'd be at work or in my tiny apartment waiting for the summer to come, where my current working agreement would end, and I'd be able to move in with my wife and daughter. Literally counting the days, and anticipating the end, for months.

This is all to say that Shin Ultraman was one of the few things that I was actively looking forward to. Shin Godzilla is one of my favorite films of all time. I clearly espouse my appreciation for it a lot on this site. Seeing Shin Ultraman was super exciting, and while I really love it now, it's important to remember when it came out we really didn't know what to expect. Shin Godzilla was six years prior, and there hadn't been another live action Shin film. Shin Evangelion I suppose, but we generally had an idea of what to expect, because its Evangelion. Shin Ultraman's marketing in Japan, similar to Shin Godzilla, showed very little. We saw Neronga, Gabora, and a brief shot of Alien Zarab, but that was really it. We had no idea of what the tone of the film would be, or if it would even be the same quality as Shin Godzilla. Part of me felt, going to the theater, deeply worried that Shin Ultraman would be a disaster. I don't know why, but we really didn't have much to compare it to at the time. I worried it would be bad, cheap, and lame.

The instant the Ultra Q music started playing and Shin Gomess appeared, within the first few seconds of the film, I knew I was wrong. Wrong to be worried or feel so much anxiety. Shin Ultraman provided me ultimate escapism, and delivered a combination of hope, nostalgia, and high octane action. For two hours I didn't think about how misreable I was to be seperated from my family, both back in Brooklyn and in Japan, but I was just content to watch a movie. When I left the theater, I just felt a rush of excitement. I remember it was a late night showing, and outside the theater I was hastily typing in spoilers on here and sending people early reactions. I felt great, and was really excited about finally being able to discuss the film with people.

Once again, why is this in the Godzilla cringe thread? How does it relate to my obnoxious American coworker?

The next day, or maybe after the weekend, I went into work. I needed to discuss something with a Japanese Coworker of mine who sat nearish the American coworker. The Japanese coworker asked me,"Hey did you see Shin Ultraman?". I'm not sure if he was genuinely interested, or just trying to make small talk, but it made me feel happy that someone remembered my interests.

I responded with, "Yeah. It was amazing. I'm thinking about seeing it again".

Instantly, unsoliciated, the American coworker barked, "What are you, five?"

There it was, on full display, full octane, pure cringe. Pure cringe to just say whatever bullshit that pops into your head, and shit on something that was pretty damn good that you know nothing about. Had it just been, "I don't like Ultraman", that would have been fine, but to say something so shitty was jarring to me. It's the type of thing that I didn't take as an insult, but just genuienly felt bad for this person. Like, they're so pathetic and don't even realize it. I remember at this point, I really knew that this person was a weirdo, and already had discounted their opinions on things. However, this interaction is permenantly drilled into my mind. There was an awkward pause, and I just said, "It was a good movie, you should see it" and left it at that.

A year later, living in another part of Japan, and living happily with my wife and daughter I still on occasion remember this interaction. A coworker of mine, an older lady, saw Shin Kamen Rider. She didn't like it as much as I did, but bought me a poster gift from the theater. It made me really happy. I'm very careful now of being dismissive of things that I don't like that others love. I hope this story is coherent, and I'm hoping that all you fellow Tokusatsu fans never feel insecure or bad about talking about what interests you.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed May 31, 2023 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Don't be the ugly American in another country folks (or just be a good guest). Thanks for sharing your story LSD. I bet this dweeb considers himself an Ex-Pat, and not an Immigrant/Migrant Worker.

Hearing this experience reminds me a lot of the kind orientalism found in all generations, but it was especially bad in the much older ones. Put your best foot forward when interacting with people from other countries, because they will remember that for a LONG long time. I had the priviledge to work with lots of East Asian students when I was in grad school for Asian Studies. Its the best situation to learn from other folks, and I learned a lot during my graduate years.
Last edited by StardustGenius on Wed May 31, 2023 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Fat yikes. This dude reminds me of those "sex-pat" youtubers/influencers I keep hearing about. How cringe.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Sorry you had to put up with a guy like that.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

edgaguirus wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:01 pm Sorry you had to put up with a guy like that.
I’ve worked a lot more intense jobs, and endured much worse. I suppose this caught me a little off guard because it was in Japan, and at the time, I had less of a social safety net, if that makes sense. Like I’ve had to be around sex pests, and obnoxious weirds all the time, as coworkers and customers back in Brooklyn, but they were easy to handle/ignore because I could easily communicate my grievances to them directly, or others around me.
StardustGenius wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:31 pm Don't be the ugly American in another country folks (or just be a good guest). Thanks for sharing your story LSD. I bet this dweeb considers himself an Ex-Pat, and not an Immigrant/Migrant Worker.

Hearing this experience reminds me a lot of the kind orientalism found in all generations, but it was especially bad in the much older ones. Put your best foot forward when interacting with people from other countries, because they will remember that for a LONG long time. I had the priviledge to work with lots of East Asian students when I was in grad school for Asian Studies. Its the best situation to learn from other folks, and I learned a lot during my graduate years.
I read both your and Executive Hamsters’ responses, and there’s a lot I could say/want to say, but it’s a lot to unpackage. A lot of it also directly has to do with my own feelings and plans of living in Japan in the future.

I personally dislike the term “ex-pat”, but I’m not sure if I would consider myself an immigrant, as I could, hypothetically get on a plane and leave japan tomorrow. I think migrant worker might work in my case. I think it’s an interesting discussion that involves a lot of class driven mindfulness and it’s something myself I think about regularly. Different people who have lived in japan a lot longer, or shorter, than me, under different programs and situations might have drastically different responses to my situation. Likewise, it’s also possible I’m currently in flux.

However, to reiterate, my main issue with the former coworker wasn’t specifically them being weird with women/having orientalist views of a country they’ve resided in a long time, but rather just being an ignorant fool and dismissing art just because of stereotypes. The more I think of it though, those are one in the same no?
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

It should be no surprise that I don't like the term "ex-pat". Its a term folks made up to not be considered immigrants/migrant workers, because those people are "the poors and minorities" etc.

The more you think of it, its the one in the same? Of course! You're absolutely right. Its the same kind of nonsense of folks who fetishize Japanese people. A simultaneous pillar or podium, with backhanded appreciation. Its the same kind of nonsense and ignorance that folks think that anime/manga don't "count" or is influential in amount of comics published/sold in the US because "its not Marvel or DC". There are plenty of stories people living in Japan from abroad having a hard time fitting in. There are also plenty of others, who don't see it as a hard time fitting in, and see it more as a playground for their horrible attitudes. "Those Japanese are so polite!"

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I'm very careful now of being dismissive of things that I don't like that others love.
This is one of the reasons I have generally appreciated your presence here a lot, for the record. I do think it serves discussion best when people feel they are coming from a place where there isn't pre-judgement, and the exhausting thing for me about a lot of online discussion about art is how quickly it feels that sort of behavior rears up - the sort of 'only someone who is x can enjoy this' that feel very alienating. If you tell me only children like cartoons, I know to anticipate we probably can't have a good discussion about cartoons where I won't be perceived as childish. I appreciate people who are considerate that others may have positive feelings towards that which they decry and vice versa. I used to keep in mind the same sort of message, but I've broken it hard in the last few years and have fallen deeper and deeper into the 'everybody/nobody feels this way' sort of hyperbole I used to avoid. You're the one doing the right thing though and I appreciate that.

It's a great story and it's good that you were able to counter so maturely and neutrally. I can't say I would have handled it with such grace and maturity today.
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 1:59 pmMinor thought: with no disrespect to anyone, there is probably a big distinction between people who are just interested in the Godzilla movies as movies you watch, and people who are interested in all the production and behind the scenes stuff.
This is one of the interesting disconnects about film fandoms. I am definitely someone who leans more into the former category, which is consequently why the tendencies for some communities to focus on the latter can tire me out. I watched science fiction movies as a kid, often based more on special effects and visuals than any kind of meaning. I'm grateful to understand the craftsmanship that goes into movies more and more as an adult, and it's a beautiful thing that kaiju fandom has uncovered so much considering the challenges we face looking into the production of these films, but at times it takes away from what made me love movies rather than enhances it. It becomes too much about evaluating the film as an effective production and less about letting events unfold, which is more where my joy used to be in engaging in media, and it's sort of hard for the latter joy to be shared these days as filmmaking discourse becomes almost obsessively Doyelian. It is sometimes disadvantageous to a piece of fiction to be too hyperaware of the multiple possible meanings something may have.

It's not just a personal thing though -- there are multiple levels of interest and fandom, and there are a lot of people who watch kaiju films recreationally who don't participate in fandom much less on Toho Kingdom. We all know this, but it can be jarring to run into this sort of sentiment in some situations or odd combinations -- I met someone through Star Trek who took that seriously in a very fannish and analytical way, who also liked Jurassic Park, but clearly had a more passive 'dinosaur movies are fun' interest in the latter, completely outside the sort of opinions you expect from fans of the latter franchise, and their passion for the former franchise showed they were not simply someone who didn't understand fandom. I sometimes think a lot of people in fandom spaces have certain interests they have strict feelings about, or where they dig really deep, and some where they can go with the flow and enjoy the ride.
Executive Hamster wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:11 amIts great to see such an in-depth analysis for the behavior shown on that subreddit. I'm a perfect example of the outgroup that JVM describes because I GENUINELY do not HATE a single Godzilla film (there are a few I have little strong opinion on but none of them I outright don't like). I've absolutely noticed all of these behaviors in my years on reddit and its nice to see them properly explained. The "debate me bro" mindset is so prevalent in our society that at this point whenever I make a comment that I feel might lead into a big debate that wont be productive in the slightest, I usually just delete it. Which ultimately means that a lot of the time I just don't comment anymore. That's how bad its become.
Yeah, I'm leaning into that last direction as well. It's not clear at all from my Toho Kingdom postings, but a lot of other places I'm active that's what I am becoming. There are also a lot of debates across every community I'm in that I am so familiar with that I avoid them because I don't want to have to fall back on my same points vs others same points again, because it will be the same debate. There's less and less individual expression and opinion so much as multiple choice option preset arguments that everyone votes on by repeating their favored option.
I should also mention that the "parroting youtuber comments" is a SERIOUS issue when it comes to the channel CinemaSins, because the man who runs that channel is notorious for completely failing to understand films, as well as giving straight up incorrect or ignorant comments that end up getting parroted by the masses. The amount of people who didn't bother watching a film because CinemaSins gave them a negative review is STAGGERING.
I always, always remember when I would talk to people about certain films and they would respond as if they had seen it, and then when pressed later, would admit they had only seen a review, and often they were satirical reviews such as Nostalgia Critic, not even a serious film review.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

I’ve come to appreciate positivity even if I don’t agree with it. I’m not going to try to make someone stop liking something, in fact I’m glad it makes them happy.

The people who don’t get that Mr Plinkett is a character confuse me, he’s a psychopathic serial killer who was old enough to be alive on the titanic, of course he isn’t real. I think the actual criticisms are the ones Mike and Jay hold, but as a character of course he’s fake.

Follinollante
Interpol Agent

Post by Follinollante »

The reason I stopped watching shows like CinemaSins is because I realized that there is literally nothing funny about bitching about every single possible topic. Whenever I write a story of any kind, I'm always meticulously careful about giving the audience (if any) as few opportunities as possible to complain about something. This is extra hard with science fiction; there'll be those people who watch a movie and will be like "but there's no sound in space" and view that as a legitimate critique of the movie rather than an overanalysis of the science in a science fiction film. Multiply that sort of thing to equal the number of scenes in a film, and you end up with the most egotistical, nonsensical opinion of a film you can get. It's like they're trying not to enjoy movies. Makes you wonder what they do enjoy.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

Follinollante wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:32 am The reason I stopped watching shows like CinemaSins is because I realized that there is literally nothing funny about bitching about every single possible topic. Whenever I write a story of any kind, I'm always meticulously careful about giving the audience (if any) as few opportunities as possible to complain about something. This is extra hard with science fiction; there'll be those people who watch a movie and will be like "but there's no sound in space" and view that as a legitimate critique of the movie rather than an overanalysis of the science in a science fiction film. Multiply that sort of thing to equal the number of scenes in a film, and you end up with the most egotistical, nonsensical opinion of a film you can get. It's like they're trying not to enjoy movies. Makes you wonder what they do enjoy.
As an aside, check out this video/channel. Really shows you how CinemaSins works

https://youtu.be/sGOXHdf-_dM

https://www.youtube.com/@bobvids/videos
Last edited by Chris55 on Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Follinollante wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:32 am This is extra hard with science fiction; there'll be those people who watch a movie and will be like "but there's no sound in space" and view that as a legitimate critique of the movie rather than an overanalysis of the science in a science fiction film. Multiply that sort of thing to equal the number of scenes in a film, and you end up with the most egotistical, nonsensical opinion of a film you can get. It's like they're trying not to enjoy movies. Makes you wonder what they do enjoy.
The writer Jane Wagner once said that man developed language because of " a deep inner need to complain." Maybe they enjoy criticizing because they just do.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Not Godzilla related but the fact that a TK staff member reviewed Shin Kamen Rider without subtitles or dubbing in spite of not knowing Japanese.

I haven’t seen Shin Kamen Rider so I can’t comment on the quality, but why the hell would you review a movie without understanding the language? It’s like a person who doesn’t know how to play a video game reviewing video games, wait that happens often…

Follinollante
Interpol Agent

Post by Follinollante »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:55 am Not Godzilla related but the fact that a TK staff member reviewed Shin Kamen Rider without subtitles or dubbing in spite of not knowing Japanese.

I haven’t seen Shin Kamen Rider so I can’t comment on the quality, but why the hell would you review a movie without understanding the language? It’s like a person who doesn’t know how to play a video game reviewing video games, wait that happens often…
I read that review. To be fair, he did state that he knew enough Japanese to get the gist. All the same, it seems pretty clear that he didn't understand enough, considering how negative he was despite most people saying the movie was good or great.
Of course, his opinion is his opinion, but I do think that people shouldn't form (strong) opinions without fully understanding things.

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:55 am Not Godzilla related but the fact that a TK staff member reviewed Shin Kamen Rider without subtitles or dubbing in spite of not knowing Japanese.

Did you read what Nick edited into his review?

" It has come to my attention that some readers have taken the above disclaimer to mean I don’t understand Japanese, and that I shouldn’t have written a review of Shin Kamen Rider as a result. Honestly, I am very sympathetic to such concerns, which is why I issued the above disclaimer in the first place–but for what it’s worth, I have put a lot of effort into my Japanese studies. I have lived in Japan for over ten years, have read scads and scads of manga in Japanese, read multiple novels and short story collections in Japanese (some of which I have reviewed here on Toho Kingdom), interviewed Japanese in the manga and tokusatsu industries in Japanese, and I regularly meet with my students to talk with them in Japanese as well. It’s true there were parts of this movie I didn’t understand, but I did understand a lot of it, and it doesn’t really have a deeply complicated plot, so I decided to go ahead and write this review. If you as a reader are uncomfortable with this and prefer to wait for reviewers who had access to the film in their native language, I totally get it–I may come back and edit this review later when I can watch the film with Japanese subtitles so I can double check the individual lines. And despite my deeply negative review below, I do hope you enjoy the movie for what it is–whenever I go to a movie, I hope to enjoy it and get something good out of it, but this one just didn’t work for me. I certainly do not wish Hideaki Anno ill-will either, despite my disappointment in hearing of his alleged on-set conduct–I think he is a fantastic artist, and I wish him the best in his future projects. Thank you for reading."
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.