The Whale God (just acquired by SRS)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Angilasman
G-Grasper

The Whale God (just acquired by SRS)

Post by Angilasman »

Now this is exciting! SRS will be releasing the classic Daiei take on Moby Dick, starring Shintaro Katsu, Kojiro Hongo, Takeshi Shimura, featuring music by Akira Ifukube, and featuring a kind of giant monster at Daiei Studios a few years before Gamera!

https://www.scifijapan.com/news/srs-cin ... -whale-god

JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: The Whale God (just acquired by SRS)

Post by JAGzilla »

Maximum yes. 1960s Japanese Moby Dick with an Ifukube score? That's one of the best premises I've ever heard.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Probably a day one buy. Hopefully it comes with a cool extra. Gotta love SRS.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I've seen a poorly preserved version of this before, flipped through it. It was pretty impressive, and an unappreciated entry in the genre. Lots of good scale with the titular creature and really what seems to be a struggle for survival. I hope this leads more people, myself included, to give it a proper watch. I have a small Whale God figure, so I owe myself a proper viewing.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It looks promising, and a score by Ifukube is a big plus. I want to see this.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I'm going to try to get the Blu-ray release of this film so I can replace my gray market Sinister Cinema DVD-R of it.

I've been waiting a long time for this one. Now, if some company would just release Daiei's 1949 film Rainbow Man officially on Blu-ray, then I'd have most, but not all, of Daiei's major tokusatsu films on Blu-ray from 1949-1999 (the exceptions being Invisible Demon, The Invisible Swordsman and the Yokai Monsters trilogy).

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Oh, and just for the record, the official English-language title used in Japan for this film, according to Wikizilla, is Killer Whale.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Genuinely shocked to see a label like SRS acquire this title. I was holding out for Arrow to release it, but I frankly think it's worthy of a Criterion release. Regardless, I'm excited that more people will get to see this great movie.

If you go in expecting a Kaiju romp, you'll be disappointed, but it's a legitimately great drama. I hope The Demon of Mt. Oe sees a release down the road as well. While it's Tokusatsu elements are also fairly minor, it's a very lavish period piece.

On a lower-brow note, I'd love for SRS to acquire some of Chaiyo's films. The Tsuburaya co-productions and Hanuman and the Five Riders are probably out of the question (Crocodile's rights might be tied up too), but stuff like Tah Tien, Magic Lizard and The Noble War would be awesome.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Another release to look forward to! :D
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

If you want your Whale God blu-ray to be a pressed disc (and maybe have a slipcover and poster) you should pre-order!

https://srscinemastore.com/products/wha ... 5971292294

Some nifty special features and Bob Eggleton cover art? SRS is really showing out!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I recently got this film on Blu-ray and got both a poster and a card with it. and to my surprise, it's titled The Whale God, not Killer Whale.

Now, if someone will just officially release Daiei's film Rainbow Man (1949) on Blu-ray...

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I still need to pick this up. Is it true that the essay about Japanese whaling is littered with typos and plagiarism? It's almost like SRS Cinemas just lets anyone who asks write for their home video releases. It'd be one thing if it this was for something dumb like Konga TNT or one of Hayashiya's garage movies, but why would they want their release of Whale God (which I'm sure they worked hard to get the rights from Kadokawa) look amateurish?

The same dude also wrote things for the new Yokai War Blu, apparently...
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....