Should an Indie developer make a Godzilla game?

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Should an Indie developer make a Godzilla game?

Post by LegendZilla »

Hello, LegendZilla here, checking in as we reach the midpoint of 2023. It's an undeniable truth that in today's gaming landscape, high-quality licensed games have become somewhat of a rarity. This, I believe, partly explains why the Godzilla game from Bandai-Namco left something to be desired for many fans. Reflecting on this, I propose an alternative path: What if an indie game developer were to secure the rights to create a Godzilla game? Granted, it would be a significant investment, but allow me to present some compelling reasons why it might just be a worthwhile venture:

1. Flexible Development Schedule: Indie developers, unfettered by rigid corporate deadlines, would have the liberty to devote more time to refining and polishing their game. This flexibility could potentially lead to a superior end product that satisfies both the creators and players.

2. Positive Work Environment: Working outside the high-pressure environment of large corporations, indie game developers could potentially enjoy healthier, more collaborative work settings. This, in turn, could inspire a passionate commitment to their project that shines through in the final game.

3. Innovative Game Design: Free from executive meddling, indie developers are known for their willingness to take risks and think outside the box. This freedom could pave the way for innovative gameplay elements that inject a breath of fresh air into the Godzilla gaming experience.
With these points in mind, I'm curious about your thoughts.

Do you believe an indie developer could do justice to the Godzilla license? If so, which company do you envision taking the reins? Most importantly, do you see any merit in my arguments? As always, looking forward to your responses. Peace out.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Should an Indie developer make a Godzilla game?

Post by Legion1979 »

I think the better question is "COULD an indie developer make a Godzilla game?"

And I'd say no, not with the licensing fees the character costs.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:54 am I think the better question is "COULD an indie developer make a Godzilla game?"

Not to mention the added headache of having to deal with TOHO on a daily basis.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I mean it kinda has happened, at least as close to the situation as I see us getting. Between the official gigabash dlc, and the unofficial Godzilla stem which is more or less it’s own game at this point, (along with at least one other promising fan project on the rise), I’d say we are almost there.
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:54 am I think the better question is "COULD an indie developer make a Godzilla game?"

Depends how how much money indie developers can garner over time.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Sure, I think an indie developer could make a pretty good quality game. WayForward has a succesful track record in making liscenced IP games, and their own original titles. They do it quite a lot. The Shantae games are their most succesful series, and its their own creation. They have plenty of success with Double Dragon, Ducktales, River City Girls, Contra and even doing work for Nintendo such as Advance Wars ReBoot Camp. If there is an indie game company that could make a fun Godzilla game, it would be them.

Also going back to Gigabash, yeah, there kind of already has been an indie game company doing a Godzilla game. Its not 100% a full fledged Godzilla game, but they showed they could do it. So, I think those two would be the best candidates.

Interest and licensing fees would be an issue, though I should note that the company that worked on Gigabash is small and they somehow were able to get a few Godzilla characters.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I feel like indie game developer is one of the most grossly misused terms ever.

If the question is "should a smaller developer make a Godzilla game," the answer is, "sure?"
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

cicada.human
Yojimbo

Post by cicada.human »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:15 am I mean it kinda has happened, at least as close to the situation as I see us getting. Between the official gigabash dlc, and the unofficial Godzilla stem which is more or less it’s own game at this point, (along with at least one other promising fan project on the rise), I’d say we are almost there.
I was going to point out Gigabash too. Although I wouldn't call that game "innovative," it doesn't mean it is a bad game.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

I agree! I think the BEST question is "IS there an indie developer and investor WILLING TO TAKE A FINANCIAL RISK on a non-mobile Godzilla game? I think the past reception for Godzilla games, coupled with their almost-decade-long absence from store shelves answers everything you need to know.

There's no "should" about it, unless the developer doesn't get a choice.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

G1985 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:33 pm

I agree! I think the BEST question is "IS there an indie developer and investor WILLING TO TAKE A FINANCIAL RISK on a non-mobile Godzilla game? I think the past reception for Godzilla games, coupled with their almost-decade-long absence from store shelves answers everything you need to know.

There's no "should" about it, unless the developer doesn't get a choice.
I think if the development team has real passion for Godzilla, let them pursue it.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:07 pm I think if the development team has real passion for Godzilla, let them pursue it.
This is the most important issue right here, imo. You could have all of the money and developers behind the biggest AAA companies congeal behind a new Godzilla title, but if all they are set on is solely turning the financial risk of adopting a license for a predominantly film-based franchise that doesn't have a devoted following/presence in the gaming scene into profit, we would all be disappointed with the final product. We've also witnessed what can result from boardrooms of executives who base what they think gamers want to see from reading/watching corporate game journalist reviews, or by said execs. injecting their own "groundbreaking changes" into a strongly established franchise, too. See also: Halo.

What I'm getting at is, it honestly comes down to the right developers who have the right mindset, and understand exactly what the fandom would want out of a Godzilla game; to which the question is, "what do we expect?" I don't know about the rest of you, but honestly I'd just like to see a spiritual successor to the Atari/Pipeworks games. It doesn't have to be some all-new genre defining gameplay innovation that is unique to a Godzilla game.. Just modernize what worked for a lot of us back in the day, and do it right: better graphics, add as many monsters as Toho would be willing to license, in as many stages as possible; all rounded out by that button-mashing fighting style. To that end, it seems the closest we've gotten is the Gigabash DLC; but as far as a independent full-fledged Godzilla game goes, the 2014 game had the right idea, but from what I've seen (as I never got to play it), bungled a lot of aspects that prevented it from becoming that 'update' to the aforementioned A/P titles.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Missingno. wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:04 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:07 pm I think if the development team has real passion for Godzilla, let them pursue it.
This is the most important issue right here, imo. You could have all of the money and developers behind the biggest AAA companies congeal behind a new Godzilla title, but if all they are set on is solely turning the financial risk of adopting a license for a predominantly film-based franchise that doesn't have a devoted following/presence in the gaming scene into profit, we would all be disappointed with the final product. We've also witnessed what can result from boardrooms of executives who base what they think gamers want to see from reading/watching corporate game journalist reviews, or by said execs. injecting their own "groundbreaking changes" into a strongly established franchise, too. See also: Halo.

What I'm getting at is, it honestly comes down to the right developers who have the right mindset, and understand exactly what the fandom would want out of a Godzilla game; to which the question is, "what do we expect?" I don't know about the rest of you, but honestly I'd just like to see a spiritual successor to the Atari/Pipeworks games. It doesn't have to be some all-new genre defining gameplay innovation that is unique to a Godzilla game.. Just modernize what worked for a lot of us back in the day, and do it right: better graphics, add as many monsters as Toho would be willing to license, in as many stages as possible; all rounded out by that button-mashing fighting style. To that end, it seems the closest we've gotten is the Gigabash DLC; but as far as a independent full-fledged Godzilla game goes, the 2014 game had the right idea, but from what I've seen (as I never got to play it), bungled a lot of aspects that prevented it from becoming that 'update' to the aforementioned A/P titles.
Some people need to stop letting skepticism dictate their judgement.