Latest Physical Media Purchase Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
JAGzilla
Sazer

Latest Physical Media Purchase Thread

Post by JAGzilla »

We have a thread like this for kaiju and related media, but I figure a general-purpose thread is worth having around. Post and discuss the latest movies or series you bought on VHS, DVD, Blu-ray, 4K, or whatever other options are out there.

To start with, I just picked up the Smile 4K from Walmart. It's available on at least two streaming services I have, but I like to try and support physical media releases where I can. I don't have much in the way of modern horror in my collection yet, anyway, so this is a nice expansion. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I keep hearing good things. Films At Home on YouTube recommends it; he's a massive horror fan and says this is the first movie in several years that's actually scared him.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Lecontinentperdu
Monsterland Worker

Re: Latest Physical Media Purchase Thread

Post by Lecontinentperdu »

Recieved today: Ingmar Bergman's Cinema. This by far outshines the Godzilla Criterion! 😁

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Had for a few weeks (and watched it recently) but my last physical media purchase was Arrow’s 4K Silent Running release. The film is good (despite those musical interludes… lol). But what I really dig is the atmosphere and all the vintage technology on display. I could easily watch hours of footage of atmospherically lit 70’s computers and crt screens clicking, bopping, and whirring away!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I just bought a DVD of an old favorite 1970s horror film, It's Alive (1974).

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

My birthday was a few days ago and I got the recent Blu-ray releases of Iron Monkey, Zu Warriors From the Magic Mountain, Magnificent Warriors, The Company of Wolves and the new Australian release of The Warriors.

BTW, if you love The Warriors I'd definitely recommend this release from the Imprint label. Currently, only the controversial director's cut is on disc in the US, but this one has both cuts and is absolutely loaded with extras and it's a region free release! Even if a new US release were announced tomorrow I don't see it getting much better than this.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Haven't bought them yet but I currently have an order waiting in my Amazon cart. Dragonslayer and The Howling in 4K, also Violent Night, The Grand Tour: Disaster in Time, Dragonball Super: Super Hero, and Men At Work on Blu-ray. Last actually purchase was the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade 4K steelbook.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Last weekend when Gruv had their 3 for $30 4K deal I picked up Van Helsing, The Mummy (2017) and Dolittle. I recently got Shout Factory's BD of Razorback and Paramount's 4K of Dragonslayer
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Yesterday I got the new UK Blu-rays of The Bullet Train (1975) from Eureka and the Street Fighter trilogy (1974) from Arrow.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

The DVD of It's Alive didn't look too great after all, so I went to my local fye and bought the Blu-ray box set The It's Alive Trilogy to take its place (see my post on "Lastest Purchases Thread" for details).

I think this box set is out of print. Can anyone please confirm this for me?
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Nope, not OOP. Still available from Shout’s website.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

UltramanGoji wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:55 pm Nope, not OOP. Still available from Shout’s website.
Okay, thanks! I didn't see it in the Horror section when I first went to the website, so I wasn't sure. I'll check again, though.

UPDATE: Found it! Should've known it'd be still around. It was in the Scream Factory section under Horror on the top of pg. 7.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I bought Unwelcome on Blu-ray. Walmart's last copy, so it seems to be selling well. It's in a slightly taller, narrower case than a standard Blu-ray. That's annoying. I do like the blueish spine, though; almost everything else on my horror shelf has a black spine, so a splash of color is always welcome. No pun intended.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

From Discotek/Rightstuf Anime. Filled some holes in my Super Robot collection on Blu Ray:

1. GaoGaiGar Final.OVA series
2. Gunbuster OVA
3. Mazinkaiser vs General Darkness film
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

In the past month a bunch of pre-orders showed up: the In the Line of Duty I - IV set, Police Story 3: Supercop, The Jackie Chan Collection vol. 2, the Sammo Hung movies Knockabout and Millionaires' Express and the Jackie/Sammo flick Heart of Dragon, a double feature of Jet Li's two Fong Sai Yuk flicks, The Brave Archer box set, and (the only non-HK flick in the bunch) the British release of the classic Night of the Demon - region free, packed with extras, and I was tired of waiting for a NA release!

Put the Brave Archer set on the shelf because I'd like to finish the book Legend of the Condor Heroes (recently released in four English translated volumes) before watching an adaptation. I've always heard that the story is so beloved over there that the movies and TV shows adapted from it always assume the audience's familiarity with the story and characters beforehand.

Oh, and I found the Kino release of Metropolis at my local used shop. Been meaning to pick that up for years but never got around to it. Remember catching the new restoration on TCM along with the accompanying documentary when it came out. This is an early printing, too, with the holographic slipcover!

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

I just put in a preorder for the Jaws 2 4K which comes out on July 4th. Really excited for that because its actually a fairly decent sequel. Ironically I've been on a Jaws kick as of late because I started reading a book on the making of Jaws 2.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I just recently bought the KINO Lorber Studio Classics Blu-ray of One Million Years B.C. from my local fye...the one with the unedited international version (100 minutes) and the edited U.S. version (91 minutes) on two discs.

I'm going to ask for the Warner Archive Blu-ray-R of When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth, also the one with the unedited version, for my birthday.

Question: did anyone ever release Creatures the World Forgot on Blu-ray or Blu-ray-R in the U.S.? I thought Warner Archive also did that one as well, but I can't find it on eBay.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ Warner Archive blu-rays are actually pressed discs,not recorded!

I think Creatures is on Mill Creek's set of Hammer Films.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Angilasman wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:35 am ^ Warner Archive blu-rays are actually pressed discs,not recorded!

I think Creatures is on Mill Creek's set of Hammer Films.
Okay, thanks for telling me. I always thought they were Rs.

And I guess getting a separate Blu-ray release of Creatures the World Forgot is definitely out. I'll check it out and get back to you.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Recently picked up 4K UHDs of Carrie and Army of Darkness and the Blu-Ray of George Romero's criminally-underseen Knightriders during a Scream Factory sale. Really hoping for 4K releases of Day of the Dead and The Phantom of the Paradise (provided they restore the Swan records visuals) sometime soon.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Yesterday I bought Hulk (2003) and Terminator 3 on Blu-ray.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You