If a Lost Godzilla Film Were Found... Which Era?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

What era would you like a fully complete but lost Godzilla film to be from?

Showa
81%
Heisei
15%
Millennium
2%
Reiwa
2%

Total votes: 47

Follinollante
Interpol Agent

If a Lost Godzilla Film Were Found... Which Era?

Post by Follinollante »

Imagine the situation: Toho announces that they have unearthed a 100% complete Godzilla film that was ready for the theaters, but, for whatever, was never actually released. Toho is now releasing it to the public. The specifics of this hypothetical movie aside, from which era would you hope the movie would be?

UltramanGoji

Re: If a Lost Godzilla Film Were Found... Which Era?

Post by UltramanGoji »

Showa, bar none.

So many of the cast and crews who made those movies have left us so to see an all-new creation from them unearthed all these decades later would be so utterly emotional and monumental. A brand new Tsuburaya/Honda/Ifukube or Nakano/Fukuda/Sato film in the current year? Would be an absolute dream come true.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I voted Showa just because that era had the most variety and we'd have legit NO idea what to expect when watching it, although I'd totally be up to see whatever the Heisei and Millennium era was hiding too.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Showa is obvious, but it's funny because I've had this happen to me. While not as great as the movies, that's exactly what watching the Zone Fighter episodes with Godzilla in them felt like. Seeing new footage of Gigan, Ghidorah, and Godzilla, with new monsters, directed by Honda was a bizarre experience after so long.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Given the illusion of tight continuity of the Heisei era, it'd be fun to throw a curveball in the middle that disrupts the narrative we're used to. In terms of the actual film a lost Showa film would probably be more interesting, I'm well aware, but I think a Heisei film would be more of a shake-up.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

JVM wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:07 pm Given the illusion of tight continuity of the Heisei era, it'd be fun to throw a curveball in the middle that disrupts the narrative we're used to.
Hadn't considered that at all. Yeah, because of how fast and loose the Showa series handled its continuity, if a new film were to miraculously appear, it really wouldn't change how we view the events surrounding it. That's exactly what happened with my viewing with Zone Fighter.

But, if for example, a film were to surface about Godzilla fighting Angurius and some other monster in late 1993 or late 1994, it would be pretty earth shattering.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Showa, mainly because the quality and diverse talent across the board assembled for this entire era of films (Directors Honda/Fukuda/Banno, Composers Tsuburaya/Sato, SFX directors Tsuburaya /Nakano/Arikawa, Suit actor Harou Nakajima / Hirose / a young Satsuma, not to mention all of the great actors/actresses/cast members throughout the era), and the fact that when reading about "Lost projects", the SHOWA lost projects are easily the most interesting & fascinating unmade concepts to read about. Even a "bad" Showa film is rarely boring/uninteresting, something that can't be said about the Heisei / Millennium films (sorry folks, I'm still not considering "Reiwa" a true era yet :kingkong1962: ). With all the above taken into account, a sudden "lost" showa film stands the chance of being the be the most fun and entertaining...
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Follinollante
Interpol Agent

Post by Follinollante »

I'm gonna be that guy and say Millennium for two reasons.
First, it would almost be guaranteed to have a new kaiju (it would, perhaps, even be another "Godzilla vs.").
Second, the Millennium era is so small, another movie would be very likely to shake things up.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Showa, not only because I would like that the most but because it's the only era in which such a thing would feasibly happen. With how many tokusatsu films Toho produced from the 50s through the 70s, I wouldn't be horribly shocked if a Godzilla film popped up that had somehow been made under wraps.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Follinollante wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:21 am I'm gonna be that guy and say Millennium for two reasons.
First, it would almost be guaranteed to have a new kaiju (it would, perhaps, even be another "Godzilla vs.").
Half of the Mullennium films featured nothing but returning monsters. How would we be guaranteed to get something new?
Second, the Millennium era is so small, another movie would be very likely to shake things up.
Shake things up how?
Last edited by Legion1979 on Tue May 30, 2023 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Unmade Godzilla VS Redmoon, Godzilla VS Nessie, let's go!

Quite an interesting topic here. Variation from the "which unmade project", which I like. I'm gonna go with Showa because of the variety. It could be a Godzilla movie. It could be a disaster movie. It could be a sci-fi/fantasy tokusatsu adventure.

That said, a Millennium project would probably be quite a spectacle for the eyes. The two Kiryu movies were top tier sfx reels. Something matching that level of sophistication would be quite a thing to see.

I think what is much likelier to happen in the real world?

Lots of concept and test shots for Godzilla/Toho tokusatsu movie pitches being discovered.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Voted Heisei purely out of rose-tinted bias, but there's no way I'd be disappointed no matter what era it popped up in. Showa's a very, very close 2nd.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Follinollante
Interpol Agent

Post by Follinollante »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:29 am
Follinollante wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:21 am I'm gonna be that guy and say Millennium for two reasons.
Half of the Mullennium films featured nothing but returning monsters. How would we be guaranteed to get something new?
Shake things up how?
Perhaps I exaggerated slightly. However:
Godzilla 2000 was basically Godzilla vs. Orga.
We also had Godzilla vs. Megaguirus.
There was GAM which was technically another vs. Mechagodzilla, but I think Kiryu is different enough to qualify as an entirely separate foe.
Also, given just how many returning kaiju there were, to me it seems unlikely that they would randomly select a rehashed kaiju to co-star.

As to shaking things up, there's only six Millennium films. One new film alone could easily sway the balance of the era's reputation.

Either way, the Millennium era's growing on me (gooby Goji-spines and all). I wouldn't mind another entry from it.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Follinollante wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:08 pm There was GAM which was technically another vs. Mechagodzilla, but I think Kiryu is different enough to qualify as an entirely separate foe.
Nah.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

I chose Showa. Not just because it's my favorite era, but also because that's the era where something like this could actually happen given how wack the Japanese film industry was during that time.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Showa, for many of the reasons others have said. There were many creative ideas during that time, and some sounded strange.

I'd also include the Heisei era, as some of the kaiju they proposed were interesting on paper.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Follinollante wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:08 pm
but I think Kiryu is different enough to qualify as an entirely separate foe.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Follinollante
Interpol Agent

Post by Follinollante »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:16 am
Follinollante wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:08 pm
but I think Kiryu is different enough to qualify as an entirely separate foe.
Seems like I have a fantastic post for the unpopular opinions thread.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Assuming I'm understanding the question right, Heisei, easily.

Godzilla vs Berserk?
Godzilla vs Barubaroi?
Godzilla vs Bagan '84?
Godzilla 1994?

Hell yes. Berserk and Barubaroi in particular are really interesting concepts to me.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

TGping
Young Farmer

Post by TGping »

Voted Showa, would love to see a post Terror of Mechagodzilla film.