Spiral Studios

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Re: Spiral Studios

Post by king_ghidorah »

Yeah I don’t know. I can afford it but why would and I also would have no where to put it.

I would be interested in getting one or two Legacy figures as centerpieces but these aren’t the sorts of things you collect a whole line of unless you’re insane

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

On FB there are many people who buy each and every one. It’s really crazy. The FOMO on Kg 91 is going to be insane. Begging them to release kits

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

If they’d release model kits of these sculpts at a significantly smaller scale (like, 20 or 30cm scale, maybe even smaller?) I’d be very interested.

As for these enormous statues, no thanks. Regardless of (in)affordability, I just don’t WANT to spend that much on a collectible. I love collecting but I’ve got other things I’d rather spend that kind of money on that I find more value or enjoyment in.

And then there’s the space, to which I feel similarly to the cost. If I’m going to dedicate that large a space in my home for something, there’s other things I’d value over a statue.

Just as an example, I’d we’re talking large expensive Godzilla items, I’d rather drop the money on the Stern Godzilla Pinball cabinet.

And this isn’t to judge anyone who does buy the statues. They are super cool and I’d love to actually see someone’s collection of them in person. They just aren’t something I’d ever see myself going for. Similar to the Gigantic x-plus line. They just cross the line of too big and too much for one item to stick on a shelf for me.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

After a few gigantics, the space situation tends to get tons of dicey, as beautiful as they are. If you collect gigantics regularly I’d assume you will eventually need a dedicated room for them.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I feel like the demographoc for this Spiral Studios stuff are people who have whole houses dedicated to extremely large pop culture memorabilia. Full size Iron Man costume replicas, life size Batman statues, personal movie theaters, that sort of stuff. This new wave of huge Godzilla statues go for thousands of dollars, it's not a collectible just anyone can collect.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:10 pm I feel like the demographoc for this Spiral Studios stuff are people who have whole houses dedicated to extremely large pop culture memorabilia. Full size Iron Man costume replicas, life size Batman statues, personal movie theaters, that sort of stuff. This new wave of huge Godzilla statues go for thousands of dollars, it's not a collectible just anyone can collect.
I'm still just sitting here waiting to hear any sort of justification on why a knockoff Marmit is costing $225 while not being as limited as regular Marmits and announcing multiple color variants straight out of the god damn gate.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:14 am
Legion1979 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:10 pm I feel like the demographoc for this Spiral Studios stuff are people who have whole houses dedicated to extremely large pop culture memorabilia. Full size Iron Man costume replicas, life size Batman statues, personal movie theaters, that sort of stuff. This new wave of huge Godzilla statues go for thousands of dollars, it's not a collectible just anyone can collect.
I'm still just sitting here waiting to hear any sort of justification on why a knockoff Marmit is costing $225 while not being as limited as regular Marmits and announcing multiple color variants straight out of the god damn gate.
Probably because there are people out there who WILL pay those prices. If collectors will gladly give Spiral $1,000+ for their statues, $250 isn't really much, is it? The Godzilla collectors market in general has gotten extremely stupid.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

X plus gigantics started this movement I think, especially when you consider he absurd prices they were going for at the height of the pandemic. There appeared to be some serious untapped demand.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The X-Plus Gigantics are expensive but still within the realm of affordability, but have you seen the prices on the XM Studios statues? Good lord.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:14 am
That's because we know there's only one answer hahaha

I said in the other thread that it feels like they're charging aftermarket prices from the jump. Maybe they're trying to be the Versace or Gucci of soft vinyl, but it leaves such a bad taste in mouth.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

As long as people buy them they're going to keep doing it.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Fermix wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:39 am Maybe they're trying to be the Versace or Gucci of soft vinyl, but it leaves such a bad taste in mouth.
And that is why I straight up say "fuck this company." Companies like this are one of the things that has taken the collecting hobby and is constantly making it worse.

Added in 21 seconds:
Legion1979 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:43 am As long as people buy them they're going to keep doing it.
And they have every right to. And I have every right to lable these people as part of the problem.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I dont understand why people spend that kind of money on anything that isn't a 50-60 year old vintage Bullmark. Those are history. Those should be the only things that matter. You're a bad collector if you don't acknowledge the history of these toys and spend the big bucks there. I just don't understand why everyone doesn't like the same things I do.

Now, I'm just playin'. Could you imagine if anyone said something that ridiculous?

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:53 am I dont understand why people spend that kind of money on anything that isn't a 50-60 year old vintage Bullmark. Those are history. Those should be the only things that matter. You're a bad collector if you don't acknowledge the history of these toys and spend the big bucks there. I just don't understand why everyone doesn't like the same things I do.

Now, I'm just playin'. Could you imagine if anyone said something that ridiculous?
Man, I wonder what someone with that type of mentality would charge for a figure like the knock off Marmits. I imagine they're the type of person that charges $50 for newly released MMS figures while claiming there's a shortage of them in Japan and trying to make fandom panics over the details of such releases like the marquette '54.

A real piece of shit type of person, ya' know?

Quote of the Year:

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Hmmmmm. A lot of hypotheticals being thrown around here 🤔

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

king_ghidorah wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:03 am Hmmmmm. A lot of hypotheticals being thrown around here 🤔
Go on...

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:38 am The X-Plus Gigantics are expensive but still within the realm of affordability, but have you seen the prices on the XM Studios statues? Good lord.
But isn’t that solely attributable to the materials used? Of course resin costs more than vinyl.

I tried to put a resin kit on the market and cost of production would have caused me to offer it for a ludicrous price. I’m sure someone with more knowledge such as the Spiral people could cut costs down though.
Last edited by shadowgigan on Mon May 29, 2023 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Even if we're looking at vinyl specifically, have you seen just how much some of the new Japanese designer vinyls are starting at these days? The Spiral Studios stuff suddenly doesn't look so insane.

Leunames
G-Force Personnel

Post by Leunames »

I wouldn't say the Spiral sofubi is a "knock off" marmit. I mean the president of Marmit himself is attached to the project, and the sculptor is one of the best stylized Godzilla vinyl sculptors out there. i agree that the price is a bit presumptuous. There is definitely a built in margin for the domestic/US person handling distribution of these. If this toy were offered straight from Japan, it would likely be less expensive.
Last edited by Leunames on Mon May 29, 2023 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Wow, Xplus has really gotten out of hand with their prices these days.

Spiral Studios: Hold my beer...
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Tue May 30, 2023 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)