Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Godzilla21
Keizer

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Godzilla21 »

If something looks fun I'll give it a shot. Doesn't matter if it's a B movie or not. One thing I can't stand is if the movie is boring. I watched that Raiga vs Ohga movie and I was bored out of my mind.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Godzilla21 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:37 pm If something looks fun I'll give it a shot. Doesn't matter if it's a B movie or not. One thing I can't stand is if the movie is boring. I watched that Raiga vs Ohga movie and I was bored out of my mind.
That movie, and a few others, unfortunately turned me away from watching any independent tokusatsu productions. If I recall correctly, a good chunk of it was really painful and cringey slapstick.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

There was an unfortunate trend during the "Wilderness years" of the kaiju fandom where all the big theatrical releases were pretty much tongue-in-cheek parodies or send-ups of the genre and it really kinda stunk. Most of the directors and craftsmen behind them were clearly talented enough that a serious tokusatsu project would probably end up being really great.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

God, the Wilderness Years. I won't lie, constantly getting burned by the output from that time has definitely made me wary of indie productions.

I still haven't checked out Colossal because of it.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Fropston
GPN Volunteer

Post by Fropston »

I haven't watched Ultraman except for the first 10 episodes of the original series (which I watched a decade ago) and Shin, not because of any lack of interest, but because each time I decide that I'm going to watch it I procrastinate doing so due to how many episodes and series there are, alongside not knowing where to find them until relatively recently.
(Less) Rare poster. :pelops2:

ray243
Monarch Researcher

Post by ray243 »

Fropston wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:48 pm I haven't watched Ultraman except for the first 10 episodes of the original series (which I watched a decade ago) and Shin, not because of any lack of interest, but because each time I decide that I'm going to watch it I procrastinate doing so due to how many episodes and series there are, alongside not knowing where to find them until relatively recently.
Each series are usually self-contained and you do not really need knowledge from other series to understand it.

But the Showa era is one timeline (with only some loose connection between the series).

Heisei era is usually having each series having its own timeline like the Millennium Godzilla era:
Tiga-Dyna: Only shared timeline (Neo Frontier Timeline)
Gaia
Max
Nexus
Mebius (connects to Showa era timeline)

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:57 pm
Godzilla21 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:37 pm If something looks fun I'll give it a shot. Doesn't matter if it's a B movie or not. One thing I can't stand is if the movie is boring. I watched that Raiga vs Ohga movie and I was bored out of my mind.
That movie, and a few others, unfortunately turned me away from watching any independent tokusatsu productions. If I recall correctly, a good chunk of it was really painful and cringey slapstick.
By "good chunk" if you mean 90% of it then yes. It's that painful and cringey. The effects are terrible (you can barely see them through the Photoshop effects) and the human characters are neither appealing or interesting. It's probably the worst piece of Kaiju media I've ever seen.
SpaceG92 wrote:

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

I believe the sequel to that movie is the one where you can’t tell what’s happening in the kaiju scenes because there are so many filters and after effects layered on them.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Godzilla21 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:49 am
By "good chunk" if you mean 90% of it then yes. It's that painful and cringey. The effects are terrible (you can barely see them through the Photoshop effects) and the human characters are neither appealing or interesting. It's probably the worst piece of Kaiju media I've ever seen.
Damn, even worse than Gamera Super Monster?

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

At least you can see the stock footage in super monster. When they say you cannot see the kaiju, they aren’t exaggerating. It’s like a 13 year old who just discovered after effects made them.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:54 pm At least you can see the stock footage in super monster. When they say you cannot see the kaiju, they aren’t exaggerating. It’s like a 13 year old who just discovered after effects made them.
Yeah, I was gonna say it was so dark and had so many weather effects and murky shots that even G2014 and KOTM were telling it to lay off haha.
Thing looks like a last-place fan film at G-Fest

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Gamera Supermonster also has a great score!

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I don't think I like these movies anymore is my confession today. I felt very passionate about them when I came back to the board last year, so I've still been into them relatively recently before anyone asks why I've been around, and I had honestly held out for a bit I was just in a bad place, but at this point I do think something's actively changed.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

JVM wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:38 am I don't think I like these movies anymore is my confession today. I felt very passionate about them when I came back to the board last year, so I've still been into them relatively recently before anyone asks why I've been around, and I had honestly held out for a bit I was just in a bad place, but at this point I do think something's actively changed.
Oof.

Well, can’t force you to change your opinion or mind on things. I do hope you can someday rekindle your interests in Toho. Godzilla, and tokusatsu films. Maybe time to break the glass and watch a bonafide tried and true classic?

Personally, I can never jmagine someday growing disinterested in the franchise or these films.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:05 amPersonally, I can never jmagine someday growing disinterested in the franchise or these films.
It happens. I ran into a wall with Star Wars in about 2012. I went from number one fan to near-total disinterest in the space of maybe a few months. I came back with TFA in 2015 and have kinda drifted in and out since, never quite making it up to the original level of enthusiasm.

The same thing happened with my interest in UFOs and the unexplained, but with a happier ending. I believed and loved unquestioningly as a teenager, then realized in my 20s that none of it makes any damn sense and lost interest. In my 30s I've realized that none of it makes any damn sense yet is happening anyway, and my enthusiasm is through the roof again. I don't believe as freely anymore, but the impossible tangle of truth and lie has its own brand of fun charm that I've come to appreciate, along with other branches and aspects of the subject that I never cared about before.

Hopefully your interest can bounce back the same way, JVM.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Gojira18 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:39 pm
Godzilla21 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:49 am

Damn, even worse than Gamera Super Monster?
Yes far worse. FAR worse. I'd watch Supermonster over that movie any time.

Added in 2 minutes 56 seconds:
JVM wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:38 am I don't think I like these movies anymore is my confession today. I felt very passionate about them when I came back to the board last year, so I've still been into them relatively recently before anyone asks why I've been around, and I had honestly held out for a bit I was just in a bad place, but at this point I do think something's actively changed.
I can tell you as someone who's probably one of the older people here that I've gone through a lot of peaks and valleys with my interests over time. I'll be super into Godzilla and Japanese toku for a while but then I'll find my interest waning and I'll be into Alien and Predator hard-core for a while. And then after a while my interest will wane in AVP and go back to Godzilla. So, I'd say this is probably a normal thing for some people. I'm sure when we get closer to the GxK movie your interest might return.
SpaceG92 wrote:

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Godzilla is actually the only franchise I've been consistently into throughout my life. I've been off and on when it comes to stuff like Pokémon, Batman and Halo. I've been off on Transformers for almost a decade now after it was my second favorite series as a kid. I was all over Game of Thrones in college and I barely spare it a second thought now. I guess Godzilla is my "comfort franchise." It was the first series I loved and the one I never really turn away from, even if I temporarily favor something else.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:52 am Godzilla is actually the only franchise I've been consistently into throughout my life. I've been off and on when it comes to stuff like Pokémon, Batman and Halo. I've been off on Transformers for almost a decade now after it was my second favorite series as a kid. I was all over Game of Thrones in college and I barely spare it a second thought now. I guess Godzilla is my "comfort franchise." It was the first series I loved and the one I never really turn away from, even if I temporarily favor something else.
For me I alternate between Jurassic park and Godzilla. I always say they’re my number 1 and 2 franchises, I just alternate between them. I believe I was into Jurassic a couple years more than Godzilla though.

Comfort franchise is an accurate term, I call playing JWE2 my “dinosaur therapy” lol

Added in 8 minutes 20 seconds:
Confession:

I was introduced to Godzilla through the parody book Dogzilla, which is loosely based on the 1984/5 plot. We read it in school one day as a class. It was in one of those textbooks that have that paragraph about the themes and author and such at the end.

This paragraph mostly talked about Godzilla and the franchise up until that point, I think it included his current fight record at the time. I was interested, so that very night I went to blockbuster with my dad and we rented Godzilla 2000. The rest is history.

I remember eating chocolate chip cookies (Freihofer’s) and chocolate milk as we watched it lol.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

For me, it's Godzilla, Jurassic Park and Star Wars. However, I've felt only Godzilla is the one I haven't become disillusioned with. Last Jedi killed any hope I had of Disney Star Wars being good and the new Jurassic World trilogy is overall just a sad reminder of how low the franchise had fallen. With Godzilla, even with lesser movies, 9 times out of 10 they're irrelevant to the ones that come after and you can enjoy them all the same.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:57 am
I was introduced to Godzilla through the parody book Dogzilla, which is loosely based on the 1984/5 plot. We read it in school one day as a class. It was in one of those textbooks that have that paragraph about the themes and author and such at the end.

This paragraph mostly talked about Godzilla and the franchise up until that point, I think it included his current fight record at the time. I was interested, so that very night I went to blockbuster with my dad and we rented Godzilla 2000. The rest is history.

I remember eating chocolate chip cookies (Freihofer’s) and chocolate milk as we watched it lol.
Sounds like a sweet memory! It's cool to reflect on how we got into the Big G. And man, not gonna lie, thinking about Blockbuster & Godziller gives me a flashback like that guy from Ratataouille. Chocolate milk & Godzilla 2000, yessir.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos