Which Godzilla is the face of the Reiwa Era?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.

Witch godzilla is the face of the reiwa Era

Shin Godzilla
90%
Godzilla Earth from anime trilogy
1%
Godzilla SP
4%
Other design like the godzilla ride design
1%
Future design
3%

Total votes: 93

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Re: Which Godzilla is the face of the Reiwa Era?

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:19 pm I've seen a few places where Toho considers this years film number 30. In the slideshow at the Fathom Events GXMG screening, one slide asked how many Toho Godzilla movies there were. The answer was 29.
TOHO hasn't included these films in the official "movie count" for quite sometime. I attended several Japanese G TOHO film festivals in 2018-19 around Tokyo, and the polygon trilogy was never included in the film count in all pamphlets or programs, and never included on the film schedule. And in virtually *all* Japanese G books I've come across, when covering the films in chronological order, these films were always left out of these sections (usually relegated to smaller, separate sections devoted to Zone Fighter / Hana-Barbera cartoon / The Legendary series / Godzilla Island / etc.).

Removes the teeth from the "duh, you have to count them as films even if you think they suck!" nonsense.
Jomei wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:56 am
You're spamming emojis in place of an actual argument.
Wasted arrows my friend. :knife:

Legion and I have already presented very rational arguments (that don't take multiple long-winded paragraphs to make)...you just don't like the conclusion they reach. Oh well.
Jomei wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:06 pm Even if they suck, they are clearly full-fledged Godzilla works. Unless for some reason people think animation or a series "doesn't count," as seems to be the case with ebirahsmeg, then it boils down to a question of whether we like them or not, which to me is a poor metric for if they "count" in an era.
See Legion's point above.

Also, quick hypothetical: Suppose no films were made during the Heisei era after G85. Using the logic I've seen several post here, this board would be arguing it's an "an official full fledge New era of G films! Let's vote who's the face of this era" and would be shoe-horning the Hanna-Barbera cartoon along with G's cameo in "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" or the SNL Kramer vs Godzilla skit. All completely absurd. Furthermore, the "Heisei era" was never even referred to by this monikor until the 3rd or 4th film in.
StardustGenius wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:41 pm

Cope sir

Oh lookie, someone has found a new catch word of the month from TikTok/YT/Reddit Boards...how adorable.

StardustGenius wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:32 am The Reiwa era is an actual period in Japanese history. There's a bunch of Godzilla projects that have released during this period, and the years just before it. Reiwa isn't some made up word to bunch all these releases, its collected under that name because that is when these were released (more or less).

Wait, Japan has eras????! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

After living for 16 years in Japan, I never realized this...thanks for the enlightment!

And by the way, who the hell is denying the existence of Japanese eras? We're strictly talking about "eras" in terms *GODZILLA* films if there are enough films to consider this a full fledge era...when you googled "Reiwa+Wikipedia", you do realize that the "Millennium" wasn't an official era name in Japan and actually still the Heisei era, right? :gordon:

Without a doubt the clumsiest attempt at a straw man argument I've seen in quite some time. (even moreso than the whole "Some just don't like the anime").

Anyways, this has long become boring. As Legion said, enjoy your full fledge "Reiwa era/whose the face of it? consisting of *1* live action film and a few cartoons, ChibiGoji and Godzilla the Ride. I'll be happy to reconsider this a full fledge "era of G films" once the new, upcoming TOHO film is released later this year and if it leads to more live action films, then revisit this thread and actually take this topic seriously....Until then, tata for now
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Mon May 08, 2023 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Toho has also said that there’s two Showa King Ghidorah’s and the Mysterians Invaded in the Heisei continuity too, but you don’t blindly believe that right?

My point is that Toho isn’t always right, and that sometimes they’ll make a commercial choice. If those films were better received I guaranteed they would be listed there.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon May 08, 2023 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Toho themselves have called Shin and the anime trilogy the Reiwa era anyway. I don't see why an era has to be contained to just live action films.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Mon May 08, 2023 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:31 am Toho themselves are called Shin and the anime trilogy a Reiwa era anyway. I don't see why an era has to be contained to just love action films.
Yeah that’s the funniest thing about it all. There are materials showing the anime trilogy as part of the Reiwa era. People are just cherry-picking and acting as if the anime goji isn’t Godzilla because they don’t like it (which is fine!). And Godzilla Ultima somehow isn’t a Reiwa Godzilla because it wasn’t in a movie, despite it having tons of merch, and promotion from Toho.

There’s this weird paradox where people want to discount it as Godzilla content/film but paradoxically say the Reiwa Era is bad just because of it.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon May 08, 2023 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Just because something sucks doesn't mean it shouldn't be counted. For the record, I liked SP and hated the anime movie trilogy, like a lot of folks. "Reiwa era isn't real" is some real ugly gaijin talk.
Last edited by StardustGenius on Mon May 08, 2023 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

edit: Before anyone responds to this, for the sake of this thread's topic, I'm happy to respond in this thread instead
ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:19 amTOHO hasn't included these films in the official "movie count" for quite sometime.
It's funny that if Toho says a movie isn't a movie, you accept it without further thought. It's weird that they distributed them in their theaters and sold theater goods. Their Godzilla.jp site is down (very reliable company), but the international one lists the anime films. Curious. Like I said, eating their cake and having it, too.
very rational arguments (that don't take multiple long-winded paragraphs to make)
Appeal to authority is actually a logical fallacy no matter how long you make your paragraphs (and you're easily outdoing me there now!!)
Also, quick hypothetical: Suppose no films were made during the Heisei era after G85. Using the logic I've seen several post here, this board would be arguing it's an "an official full fledge New era of G films! Let's vote who's the face of this era" and would be shoe-horning the Hanna-Barbera cartoon along with G's cameo in "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" or the SNL Kramer vs Godzilla skit. All completely absurd. Furthermore, the "Heisei era" was never even referred to by this monikor until the 3rd or 4th film in.
Yeah, I agree we probably wouldn't be talking about an era very much in that case, nor calling it Heisei. What does any of that have to do with the three feature-length films released in Japanese theaters and the full-length anime series aired on Japanese TV and streamed worldwide? Is your argument that those are the equivalent of SNL cameos?
I'll be happy to reconsider this a full fledge "era of G films" once the new, upcoming TOHO film is released later this year and if it leads to more live action films, then revisit this thread and actually take this topic seriously....
So again, it's about whether they're animated or not for you, huh? Goal posts keep sliding around faster than 回転ずし。
Until then, tata for now
Surrender accepted.
Last edited by Jomei on Mon May 08, 2023 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

Shin Godzilla is the face of the Reiwa Era! The question now is which one of his two faces?
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^In less than a year, he could be in for some competition.