IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

kaijukurt wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:16 am

Cover by interior artist Jake Smith:

Fan art by Jake Smith to give you an idea of what to expect:

****sigh**** :( :? :| :dizzy: :eh: Seriously IDW, WTF?

GODZILLA HERE THERE BE DRAGONS #3
IDW
(W) Frank Tieri (A/CA) Inaki Miranda (CA) Tyler Kirkham
Back in the pirate days, the scoundrels and villains that sailed the seas learned of dangers and rewards through shared knowledge, but few dared speak of the existence of a mysterious island full of monsters and hidden treasure. And the sailors under Sir Francis Drake and the British Navy are starting to wonder why. Have Drake and the Queen been conspiring to keep the treasure for themselves the whole time? Or is the "dragon" just too frightful to dare make a go for it? Learn more about how Captain Cortez Blanco initially ended up sailing far beyond the boundaries of the known world, starting off this whole race toward glory in the first place, and what perils lie between civilization and the home of the one and only Godzilla! (Hint: It's super scary giant sea turtles!)
In Shops: Aug 23, 2023

Hope to see Kameobas show up at some point instead of just only generic giant sea turtles (would also be a good chance to finally introduce Ganime into these comics as well as he would fit right in with this type of setting perfectly). Despite the odd generic "giant sea turtle" cover, the whole idea of pirates searching for treasure of an island full of kaiju (Monster Island, perhaps?) should make for an intriguing read. Looking forward to issue 1's release in a few weeks.

Added in 2 hours 20 seconds:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:57 am Cool! Lots to discuss!

Godzilla: War on Humanity: glad to have another IDW miniseries. Likewise, the plot sounds intriguing. Based on the plot description, maybe we’ll have some Hedorah action, before focusing on a new monster, Zoospra. Zoospra is a weird name, but I dig it! I’m guessing that’s it in the background. Maybe it can control other monsters? Maybe that’s why there’s so many? Glad that so long after the Trilobites we finally have a new monster. Glad it’s also just one monster that we can focus on unlike the Trilobites.

In any case, I like the art. Godzilla has too many teeth and big head for my tastes, but everything is detailed and I like the humans. Looking forward to seeing this all in action. I hope despite the bright colors we can get a lot of monster action!

His art style looks like the Xplus Deforeal figures have been cross-bred with Chibi-Goji....not digging this style one bit.
Here be dragons..:okay, Giant sea turtles aren’t what I’d expect. But I’ll take it!
Someone is hyped up on the sauce tonight :lol:

Here's the much better looking alternative cover "B":

GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

I haven’t read any of the newer IDW comics that have come out since they took a hiatus after 2016’s Rage Across Time. Well, today I was in a comic shop and picked up the Godzilla Rivals Round 1 TPB. Read the Hedorah and started the Mothra issue. I’m hooked. I enjoyed most of IDW’s previous output but that was my last time trying to keep up with single issues and I just don’t have the time or energy to bother with that. But I’ll definitely be picking up more of the Rivals trades and probably some of these other mini series.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:48 amHope to see Kameobas show up at some point instead of just only generic giant sea turtles (would also be a good chance to finally introduce Ganime into these comics as well as he would fit right in with this type of setting perfectly). Despite the odd generic "giant sea turtle" cover, the whole idea of pirates searching for treasure of an island full of kaiju (Monster Island, perhaps?) should make for an intriguing read. Looking forward to issue 1's release in a few weeks.
I feel like the Giant Sea Turtles are just an excuse to hide something else. I doubt they'll appear for the whole issue. The plot description is pretty vague too. I predict they'll chase the pirates and be attacked by something much larger, either Kameobas, Ganimes, or even Godzilla itself. At this point, while I'd love for monsters that have barely appeared to appear fully, like Kameobas and Ganimes, I'm also okay with IDW throwing their own monsters, ideas, and creatures into the mix, so long as there's a healthy balance. Hence, Giant Sea Turtles is exciting to me because it might mean something wilder down the line.

Wild speculation on my end, but I think it would be cool if this wound up being a twist on Space Ameoba. We have what appears to be the Giant Octopus, Giant Sea Turtles, and Ebirah, a mutated lobster/shrimp. Gezora and Ganimes seem like a possibility. I'm curious if at all there will be a story explanation for these gigantism.
Here's the much better looking alternative cover "B":
Awesome cover. It's a bit strange that it's not the main cover.

Reminds me of the Collossus by Francisco Goya:
Spoiler:
I really like how Hedorah looks there. After seeing the alternative cover though I am curious why the Sea Turtles are getting a bigger focus. Maybe Hedorah is a mild focus? This series does seem to be jam packed with tons of monsters.
His art style looks like the Xplus Deforeal figures have been cross-bred with Chibi-Goji....not digging this style one bit.
When I said the art was good, I was specifically reffering to the humans and or city, not the monsters. I agree though, the monsters are just a tad bit too deformed for my tastes. I've never been a fan of deformed monsters. From vinyl figures to art, I've always not liked that type of style. Still, Hedorah looks pretty good in that other image posted, and I think/hope there's a big difference in what one draws for fan art versus what they do for a fully paid comic.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon May 22, 2023 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Wow! I love the cartoony art on the new all-ages Godzilla book! So cool to see Godzilla and the other kaiju depicted this way. That's classic cartooning, baby!

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:09 pm Here's the much better looking alternative cover "B":
Awesome cover. It's a bit strange that it's not the main cover.

Reminds me of the Collossus by Francisco Goya:
Spoiler:
Nice catch!

More on the 4 comics coming soon/ongoing, it's nice to see varying story tones and art styles with each one.

Variety is the spice of life!
Last edited by kaijukurt on Tue May 23, 2023 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Hold on four comics? What else is coming?
We got the War for Humanity which honestly kind of excited for with that style art. When I was younger I'd probably hate it for not being realistic and dark and grounded.
Pirate mini which sounds like a great idea too.
Oh right SpaceGodzilla Rivals.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:58 pm Hold on four comics? What else is coming?
We got the War for Humanity which honestly kind of excited for with that style art. When I was younger I'd probably hate it for not being realistic and dark and grounded.
Pirate mini which sounds like a great idea too.
Oh right SpaceGodzilla Rivals.
Godzilla Rivals: Spacegodzilla
Godzilla Monsters and Protectors: Summer Slam
Godzilla: Here be Dragons
Godzilla: War on Humanity

No clue about War on Humanity's tone, but we seem to have a nice mix of edgier adult Godzilla comics (Here be dragons), fun and wild fan oriented comics (Spacegodzilla Rivals), and more kid friendly comics (Godzilla Summer Slam). Nice mix all around and good on IDW for the variety.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Summer Slam! That's right!
Yeah I think I'm excited for all the variety. I think that's cool.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

War of Humanity Cover B, by the interior artist! https://twitter.com/JakeSmithArt/status ... 5418326017

Seems to be some confusion earlier. The Cover A was by the writer. This is the cover by the interior artist. Also, it’s WAR FOR HUMANITY, not on, lol.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu May 25, 2023 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Godzilla and Minya’s faces kinda look off but I’m digging it. The humans and Hedorah look pretty good.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:50 pm War of Humanity Cover B, by the interior artist! https://twitter.com/JakeSmithArt/status ... 5418326017

Seems to be some confusion earlier. The Cover A was by the writer. This is the cover by the interior artist. Also, it’s WAR FOR HUMANITY, not on, lol.
Oh yeah, so this is shaping up to be Minilla's IDW debut right?

Also a better look at Zoospora! The fungi-inspired/controlled (?) eyes are intriguing.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

kaijukurt wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:58 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:50 pm War of Humanity Cover B, by the interior artist! https://twitter.com/JakeSmithArt/status ... 5418326017

Oh yeah, so this is shaping up to be Minilla's IDW debut right?

Also a better look at Zoospora! The fungi-inspired/controlled (?) eyes are intriguing.
Yep! I was so distracted by Zoospra, Hedorah, and the humans, I didn't notice!

Yes, this is Minya's first appearance in the IDW comics so far. Technically, Baby Godzilla/Godzilla Junior did appear in one panel in another recent comic, but thats it. This is the first time I'm seeing Minya prominently displayed.

ABOUT DAMN TIME TOO. Minya had TWO major film appearences, and four appearances in total if you count DAM and GFW. While Minya and the Godzilla Junior line are "different characters", Godzilla Junior is really just the Heisei incarnation of that monster. For a monster with so much importance, it's a shame that Minya hasn't appeared before. I'm honestly pretty excited. About time for an adventure together.

I hope it has this energy too:

Zoospra is disgusting looking. I see the fungal elements as well. I can't help but wonder if this will somehow be some legally distinct take on Matango, or having some Matango monster. I hope/think maybe it'll control other monsters with fungus. I also wonder if there's any relationship between Zoospra and Hedorah.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

So is it spelled “Zoospra” or “Zoospora”? That has a dramatic effect on how it should be pronounced. Personally I like “zō-SPOR-uh” better than “ZU-spruh”

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

canofhumdingers wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:23 am So is it spelled “Zoospra” or “Zoospora”? That has a dramatic effect on how it should be pronounced. Personally I like “zō-SPOR-uh” better than “ZU-spruh”
Zoospora. Sorry, new name for a monster I’m not familiar with. I guess the link to mushrooms/spores is more obvious there.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

No worries. I genuinely didn’t know which it was supposed to be.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Everyone looks like old-school vinyl toys!

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Um, wow....so this artist has indeed decided to actually go with this art style for drawing Godzilla and company for the entirety of this series.........wuuuuuut daaa fuq :freak: X_X

Judging from the past hilarious attempts at defending Andrea Bell's B covers for All Hail the King and just the entire Monsters & Protectors series in general, it's going to be rather entertaining to hear the inevitable defenses of this "stylistic choice" here. Getting my popcorn prepared :godzilla2021: :Hedorah:

Hope Bubba Blue from Forrest Gump doesn't sue Godzilla for trademark infringement...

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

A bit late on this, check the past page. I stand by that the humans and Hedorah look great. The colors are fantastic and I love it.

And actually, a lot of people really dig the art style, not only on here.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue May 30, 2023 2:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

While I’m not a huge fan of Godzilla or minya on this cover particularly (i think the past pages are better), I’m glad we’re getting experimentation in art styles, be it monsters and protectors, Godzilla rivals, and now this. Variety, imo, is the sign of a healthy franchise and prevents things from getting stale, and in particular gives me hope that IDWs comic run with Godzilla can withstand their current financial troubles. Having something eye popping is a great advantage, and having a lot of different unique styles can attract a lot of new people into the franchise. Not everyone has to like every output either. Sometimes I swear the Godzilla fandom wants the same old stuff regurgitated indefinitely, and while I get longing for an update on your favorite rendition, if many of the fans (of all flavors) had their way in directing the franchise they’d run it into another ten year hiatus before the fandom even gets over the new design’s feet.
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Tue May 30, 2023 6:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:07 am Judging from the past hilarious attempts at defending Andrea Bell's B covers for All Hail the King and just the entire Monsters & Protectors series in general, it's going to be rather entertaining to hear the inevitable defenses of this "stylistic choice" here. Getting my popcorn prepared
And the fun begins 8-)
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:02 am I stand by that the humans and Hedorah look great.
Gee, that's a shock :roll: :P
And actually, a lot of people really dig the art style, not only on here.
"A lot" eh? I hope for the sake of IDW's sales that you're right about BubbaGump-zilla...
Jetty_Jags wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:18 am Sometimes I swear the Godzilla fandom wants the same old stuff regurgitated indefinitely, and while I get longing for an update on your favorite rendition, if many of the fans (of all flavors) had their way in directing the franchise they’d run it into another ten year hiatus before the fandom even gets over the new design’s feet.
Naah, bullshit. Some of us just want something that looks *GOOD*. Half Century War, Godzilla in Hell, Rage Across Time, and quite a few issues of Godzilla: Rivals were definitely "outside the box" as well as having a variety of different art styles....but the difference is they all looked *good* and weren't an eyesore. This, on the other hand, looks extremely hokey, sloppy, and ugly. Honestly, I think they could draw Godzilla in a pink bunny outfit, and some of you would still defend it for having "variety/experimenting."

Regardless, I genuinely hope neither this nor Here There Be Dragons bombs so we can continue getting future series.