Toho's Godzilla 4K Restoration Project

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Re: Toho's Godzilla 4K Restoration Project

Post by goji1986 »

The Mysterians is getting the 4k treatment, with a series of theatrical screenings bowing this August.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10 ... 8214888184
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

God they really need to announce some physical media releases of this stuff.

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:29 am God they really need to announce some physical media releases of this stuff.
exactly, its been almost 10 years since this thread was made, godzilla 2014 released, and we still only have 1 film in kkvsg 4k released on physical media? insane

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

airforce111 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:03 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:29 am God they really need to announce some physical media releases of this stuff.
exactly, its been almost 10 years since this thread was made, godzilla 2014 released, and we still only have 1 film in kkvsg 4k released on physical media? insane
What makes it worse. I don't think a lot of them have really been shown in their full fidelity. Since most of the Godzilla ones have been relegated solely to TV, aren't they all entirely downscaled to 2k (roughly 1080p)? Or does the BS movie channel also have a 4K channel?

From what I hear King Kong vs Godzilla's 4K might have underperformed? Disappointing if that's true, I've wondered if Toho decided to take a risk and lower the prices of their absurdly expensive blu-rays they could potentially set a trend for the Japanese market that is good for us as consumers and allows Toho (and other companies that follow in lowering prices) to rake in more sales overall.
I don't know very much about the market there (outside of the reasoning for the high prices being due to movie rentals still existing), but I imagine part of the reason something like this isn't happening is because buying movies to keep is reserved largely for Otaku; more so than in English markets now. With streaming being more prevalent now than ever, I imagine that this also exacerbates the issue.
"Take that you dinosaur!" - Major Spielberg

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

EvaGhidorah01 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:41 pm
airforce111 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:03 pm
What makes it worse. I don't think a lot of them have really been shown in their full fidelity. Since most of the Godzilla ones have been relegated solely to TV, aren't they all entirely downscaled to 2k (roughly 1080p)? Or does the BS movie channel also have a 4K channel?

From what I hear King Kong vs Godzilla's 4K might have underperformed? Disappointing if that's true, I've wondered if Toho decided to take a risk and lower the prices of their absurdly expensive blu-rays they could potentially set a trend for the Japanese market that is good for us as consumers and allows Toho (and other companies that follow in lowering prices) to rake in more sales overall.
I don't know very much about the market there (outside of the reasoning for the high prices being due to movie rentals still existing), but I imagine part of the reason something like this isn't happening is because buying movies to keep is reserved largely for Otaku; more so than in English markets now. With streaming being more prevalent now than ever, I imagine that this also exacerbates the issue.
BS movie channel did simulcast the restorations on their 4K channel, so they have aired in a presentation as close to their native resolution as possible.

Not sure where you got the idea that KKvsG’s release underperformed - it’s completely sold out on Amazon JP last I checked.

Remember, it took 6 years for Toho to put out the entire HiVision catalog on Blu-ray. They play the long game.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

Hmm, I swear I remember hearing someone on twitter talk about it underperforming based on a quote from the SpaceGodzilla completion book. Could've been complete BS though admittedly.

Good to hear they have actually been broadcast in 4K, I wasn't sure about that/
"Take that you dinosaur!" - Major Spielberg

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Would've been an odd place to mention that.

Also probably worth mentioning that the price of those Japanese discs isn't just Toho being Toho; I think that's pretty typical with Japanese media of all kinds just because the market is so small.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I wouldn't be shocked at all if some 4k disc releases are part of the merchandise coming out in the fall for the new film.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

We can only hope!

alfredparker360
Ronin

Re: Godzilla Films getting 4K Restoration (Toho)

Post by alfredparker360 »

Kaiser wrote: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:05 pm Hopefully they can finally get a decent print of King Kong vs. Godzilla although from what I've heard, the film's condition is so terrible that might be too far gone for a truly intensive restoration. Then again, if they can remaster Manos they can remaster anything. It's just a question of if Toho is willing to shell out the money.
The condition of the film "King Kong vs. Godzilla" is reportedly in poor condition, which may pose challenges for a comprehensive restoration. However, considering the successful remastering of films like "Manos," it ultimately depends on whether Toho is willing to invest in the restoration efforts.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Uhhh, Toho remastered KKvsG in 4k years ago. They already released it on bluray and UHD in 2021. It looks gorgeous.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Also the ability to restore one obscure film (Manos) has absolutely nothing to do with the ability to restore another. It all depends on the quality of the film elements available.

KKvsG has some pretty well known issues with the available film elements. I don’t know all the details offhand but certainly the negative is in rough shape, some parts have had to be sourced from 16mm sources instead of original 35mm (though I think they did manage to dig up some of those bits on 35mm in the latest restoration?) and some frames are just flat out missing.

But none of these issues are completely insurmountable, especially with modern restoration tools. And this is evidenced by the generally good quality of the 4K restoration.
Last edited by canofhumdingers on Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I believe they dug up all the 35mm negative trims, except for one shot that had to be sourced from the 2014 transfer of the US version.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Where does one get these 4k releases and they don’t have subtitles right?
He Jock it Made of Steel

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:55 am Where does one get these 4k releases and they don’t have subtitles right?
Got mine from CD Japan. No subs though.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

No subs but these days it’s not hard to rip the disc and add subs from another source (though getting them timed right can be challenging if you don’t know how to do that properly). Thankfully there’s whole message boards full of people who can walk one through something like that if you do a little digging online.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

canofhumdingers wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:18 am No subs but these days it’s not hard to rip the disc and add subs from another source (though getting them timed right can be challenging if you don’t know how to do that properly). Thankfully there’s whole message boards full of people who can walk one through something like that if you do a little digging online.
I remember hearing about this kind of thing when Tokyo Monsters (the website which is now defunct) was still around. It intrigues me but I also don't know how it works. Any good sources (like the forums you mentioned) for how to do this?

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

I got my start in the technical questions/how-to’s sub forum at originaltrilogy.com.

You may find enough info there or some users might point you to other forums. Some places can be invitation only, so be patient.

As a starter, once you rip a disc you own, tsmuxer and mkvtoolnix are some of the most common apps for manipulating things. Either will let you add or remove your own audio and subtitle tracks. I used to use tsmuxer a lot, but more recently I’ve found mkvtoolnix more advantageous.

PuzzledAmphibian
Monsterland Worker

Post by PuzzledAmphibian »

If your familiar with using command line programs I used the command line for ffmpeg to add sub options to my own 4K rips of Shin Godzilla and KK vs. Godzilla. I ripped them using MakeMKV which is technically free. I plan to do the same with the anime trilogy (just HD in that case) just haven't had as much motivation yet.

If you don't re-encode and just make lossless rips, adding subs and all will use very little cpu or gpu if you are on a fairly modern computer. Re-encoding 4K will take a beast of a machine though and legitimately might show up on your electric bill :oops:

Easiest and least taxing to stay lossless if you have the space for it (50 to 75 GB average for 4K lossless).

I could basically give you the commands you would need to add subs once you had your own copy of the film ripped. (As long as that is within forum guidelines... I'm not sure)
Last edited by PuzzledAmphibian on Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Yeah, go for it. It’s technically not pirating or anything.