Super Godzilla (SNES)

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Re: Super Godzilla (SNES)

Post by Kaijunator »

How did Toho let this game be released in its current state? Were the devs and Toho drunk when they created this? It's not fair that my opponent can attack without punching me, but I have to punch to get a special attack!
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Was shared this, an ad illustration for the game featuring Godzilla mid-transformation:

Looks like the parts influenced by Ghidorah's cells glow gold as he transforms and spark electricity! Hotdamn!
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

GigaBowserG wrote:Was shared this, an ad illustration for the game featuring Godzilla mid-transformation:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8f6c4YXcAACoeE.jpg

Looks like the parts influenced by Ghidorah's cells glow gold as he transforms and spark electricity! Hotdamn!
Like I said elsewhere, your welcome ;).

Would love to find the actual artwork some day.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

GIGAN05 wrote:Like I said elsewhere, your welcome ;).

Would love to find the actual artwork some day.
Looks like the person who did the artwork was Naoyuki Kato, who also did package and other illustrations for Super Aleste/Space Megaforce for the SNES. Totally clueless what magazine or other ads that Super G one was connected to, though.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

GigaBowserG wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:For those of you who find the game a disappointment, what would've you done to refine the game?
Didn't find it disappointing, but it has a difficult learning curve. I'd retain the "punch an enemy to open the attack window", but instead of pulling backwards after punching, have various techniques open to the player on the bottom to select manually. The higher your fighting spirit, the higher the chance of having powerful techniques available/the more powerful your attacks will be. But if you take too long to decide a move, the enemy can counterattack and cancel your move.
^This. Props to you for making a suggestion other than turning the game's fighting mechanics into a typical Stret Fighter-clone as a means to improve it.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

LegendZilla wrote:
GigaBowserG wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:For those of you who find the game a disappointment, what would've you done to refine the game?
Didn't find it disappointing, but it has a difficult learning curve. I'd retain the "punch an enemy to open the attack window", but instead of pulling backwards after punching, have various techniques open to the player on the bottom to select manually. The higher your fighting spirit, the higher the chance of having powerful techniques available/the more powerful your attacks will be. But if you take too long to decide a move, the enemy can counterattack and cancel your move.
^This. Props to you for making a suggestion other than turning the game's fighting mechanics into a typical Stret Fighter-clone as a means to improve it.
I think a battle system similar to monster rancher could have worked if you've ever played that before.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Stevo_1985 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
GigaBowserG wrote:
I think a battle system similar to monster rancher could have worked if you've ever played that before.
I sadly have never played the game, but I did watch the anime back in the day.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

LegendZilla wrote:
Stevo_1985 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
I sadly have never played the game, but I did watch the anime back in the day.
The game is fantastic. I got a ps2 recently and that's on my to get list. I spent hours generating monsters off of any disc I could get my hands on.. but I digress.. the battle system is actually not too dissimilar. I apologize in advance cause I'm gonna butcher this up but in MR you have various ranged attacks at your disposal from long to short range. The distance from the opponent determines which attack you use. You also have a power gauge that constantly recharges throughout battle. These attacks use this energy. More powerful attacks use more energy naturally so there's strategy involved.. i hope that makes sense. Not an overly complicated battle system but works well.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

GreenScar
Monarch Researcher

Post by GreenScar »

Holy retro gaming Batman! I remember stumbling upon this game as a child in a Blockbuster while visiting my Grandparents and begged them to rent it for me. Let me say that first attempt to play it was not the best of experiences. My child brain just couldn't figure out what was going on. As I matured and got better at gaming, I found it again and gave it a shot. I must say I thoroughly enjoyed this game despite it's many flaws. MechaG and Battra are the biggest pain the ass. Always kind of hoped that the Super Godzilla transformation would make it into another game at some point. I don't mind Bagan but I can live without him. All in all, it's a game with many flaws but holds a dear place in my heart.
:g2k: :godzilla: :g64: :spacegodzilla: :mechagodzilla: :gigan: :monsterx:

Top 5 Toho Kaiju I hope show up in the Monsterverse -https://youtu.be/ay28_lPFHvg

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Pardon me if I go off topic, but do you mind if I bring up some ideas of mine regarding if Godzilla as Super Godzilla were to theoretically receive a second-degree upgrade into Ultra-Godzilla?

rodan fan1956
Ronin

Post by rodan fan1956 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Thought somebody would find this cool.

https://twitter.com/necome_titan/status ... 1460191233
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Thought somebody would find this cool.

https://twitter.com/necome_titan/status ... 1460191233
Looks like something out of T's Facto. Either way, I like it a lot! :)
/crawls back under rock

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Someone by the name of NovaBeamer created a randomizer for Super Godzilla! It requires a US v1.1 version of the game to run, but it spits out an SFC file to play after you set up some of the features. https://sgzr.space/

Last edited by GigaBowserG on Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
/crawls back under rock

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Is that a mod?

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

This is the Godzilla game I had as a kid in the 90s. I still have the instruction booklet and box somewhere.

Maybe I’m looking through the past with rose-colored glasses, but the negative reception it has gotten over the years always felt a bit unwarranted. The game is hard but not unplayable, unless you insist on the cringey directions AVGN gave in his review years back. When I first got it I couldn’t get past Biollante, but over time I was able to figure out some strategies for using the items/energy capsules in combat.

There were also a few “alternate” paths to take in playing. If you’re fast enough you only need to fight Battra once, and depending on when you pick up the “S” energy you can become Super Godzilla early and clobber MKG. But then you need to fight Bagan as the normal Godzilla while waiting for the Super X to refuel, and you will definitely lose lives if you don’t have an invincibility capsule on reserve.

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Post by InfiniteHollywood »

Creature22 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:36 am This is the Godzilla game I had as a kid in the 90s. I still have the instruction booklet and box somewhere.

Maybe I’m looking through the past with rose-colored glasses, but the negative reception it has gotten over the years always felt a bit unwarranted. The game is hard but not unplayable, unless you insist on the cringey directions AVGN gave in his review years back. When I first got it I couldn’t get past Biollante, but over time I was able to figure out some strategies for using the items/energy capsules in combat.

There were also a few “alternate” paths to take in playing. If you’re fast enough you only need to fight Battra once, and depending on when you pick up the “S” energy you can become Super Godzilla early and clobber MKG. But then you need to fight Bagan as the normal Godzilla while waiting for the Super X to refuel, and you will definitely lose lives if you don’t have an invincibility capsule on reserve.
I never owned this game as a kid, but I rented it a few times. I loved it. I'm sure being a Godzilla fan helped, but at the time there wasn't much Heisei info out there and I actually rented and beat this game. It was challenging, but totally playable and had some fun things that made it feel like a whole new world of Godzilla. As the Heisei stuff started to drip and drab out and so much of it was connected to or variations of what was in the Super Godzilla, it really made the game feel so much more authentic.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

InfiniteHollywood wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:55 am I never owned this game as a kid, but I rented it a few times. I loved it. I'm sure being a Godzilla fan helped, but at the time there wasn't much Heisei info out there and I actually rented and beat this game. It was challenging, but totally playable and had some fun things that made it feel like a whole new world of Godzilla. As the Heisei stuff started to drip and drab out and so much of it was connected to or variations of what was in the Super Godzilla, it really made the game feel so much more authentic.
Yeah; I definitely feel that. I want to say I got the game around 1997 or 1998, so many of the later Heisei films were available on video though I had only seen a few of the early ones by that point (Biollante and Ghidorah, as I made the connections with the UFOs and all the action taking place in mountain regions).

Looking back, it definitely has a very "Heisei" vibe compared to Showa (even with the US change for Mechagodzilla). I think some of the selected locations/designs also helped ease me into the more modern "90s Japan" that the Showa movies just didn't have (like the huge modern office buildings behind Osaka castle).

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

I was so pumped when this was released for the SNES...then I rented it absolutely despised it. I was hoping for this be a kaiju side-scrolling beat 'em up like TMNT The Arcade Game / TMNT IV Turtles in Time / Final Fight / The Simpsons Arcade Game...it made be pine away for the original NES Godzilla game.

For anyone who's seen the Angry Video Game Nerd's review of Godzilla games, I too remember seeing the Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters SF2-style tournament fighter being announced in Nintendo Power and how stoked I was....only for it to never be mentioned again. X_X :cry: :evil: Dark days indeed...
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:33 am I was so pumped when this was released for the SNES...then I rented it absolutely despised it. I was hoping for this be a kaiju side-scrolling beat 'em up like TMNT The Arcade Game / TMNT IV Turtles in Time / Final Fight / The Simpsons Arcade Game...it made be pine away for the original NES Godzilla game.

For anyone who's seen the Angry Video Game Nerd's review of Godzilla games, I too remember seeing the Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters SF2-style tournament fighter being announced in Nintendo Power and how stoked I was....only for it to never be mentioned again. X_X :cry: :evil: Dark days indeed...
I think the general expectation is that a Godzilla game must be fighting-related. As a kid, I thought a side scroller/platform type game would be interesting, especially if it incorporated battles ala Super Mario World or Donkey Kong Country.

Maybe I was easy on Super Godzilla because the only other Godzilla game I had was “The Series” on GBC. ANY game is more fun than that.