Favorite times Godzilla lost his s***?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Voyager
Keizer

Re: Favorite times Godzilla lost his s***?

Post by Voyager »

Showa beating the ever loving shit out of Mechagodzilla II and King Ghidorah in DAM. Holy hell he’s a beastly mofo.
For Emperor and Empire!

Thomas Latimer
Yojimbo

Post by Thomas Latimer »

We tend to forget how much of a BEAST Showa Godzilla was, that guy was furious most of the time!

All the moments you guys mentioned are spot on, but my favorite is when he literally stomps over one of Ghidorah's necks in DAM.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Thomas Latimer wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:18 pm We tend to forget how much of a BEAST Showa Godzilla was, that guy was furious most of the time!

All the moments you guys mentioned are spot on, but my favorite is when he literally stomps over one of Ghidorah's necks in DAM.
There’s something oddly cathartic about this moment, like he was waiting years of gradual pent up rage and annoyance at Ghidorah’s constant attempts of conquering earth just to unleash all of it in that confrontation. He was making sure he ain’t gonna fly back to space in any shape this time.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Latimer
Yojimbo

Post by Thomas Latimer »

Dv-218 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:15 pm
Thomas Latimer wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:18 pm We tend to forget how much of a BEAST Showa Godzilla was, that guy was furious most of the time!

There’s something oddly cathartic about this moment, like he was waiting years of gradual pent up rage and annoyance at Ghidorah’s constant attempts of conquering earth just to unleash all of it in that confrontation. He was making sure he ain’t gonna fly back to space in any shape this time.
That final battle is so one-sided, Ghidorah signed up his death the moment he appeared in the skies.

Also, does GMK Godzilla count? I mean, that guy was always angry and yet somewhat calm about it, to the point it's rather scary.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

Thomas Latimer wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:07 am Also, does GMK Godzilla count? I mean, that guy was always angry and yet somewhat calm about it, to the point it's rather scary.
He seemed less calm when he was kicking Baragon in the gravel pit. ;)

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Thomas Latimer wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:07 am
Dv-218 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:15 pm

That final battle is so one-sided, Ghidorah signed up his death the moment he appeared in the skies.

Also, does GMK Godzilla count? I mean, that guy was always angry and yet somewhat calm about it, to the point it's rather scary.
The scene where he utterly annihilates Tachibana’s platoon with an atomic blast is quite possibly my favorite Godzilla-military interaction in the entire franchise. It’s so brutal and merciless, mofo wastes zero seconds with them. Really adds to how unhinged and terrifying GMK Godzilla is as an entity.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The scene in M vs G when the artificial lightning generators fail, and then Godzilla proceeds to melt the tower and tank battalion like butter.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Thomas Latimer
Yojimbo

Post by Thomas Latimer »

There's also that single moment when Godzilla just blows up Orga in G2K, arguably the culmination of the movie.

While not one when the Big G doesn't lose his sh*t, there also that one when Godzilla makes an entire highway explode in PROPHECIES OF NOSTRADAMUS stock footage, but somehow it fits so goddamn well, truly a Badass yet somewhat scary moment.

MC_Lovecraft
G-Force Personnel

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

1. GvK: Godzilla goes berserk. An instant classic, IMO. I feel like I can hear Godzilla just straight up swearing from when Kong jumps on his back to when he finally plants his foot on him.

2. GvH: Godzilla salts Hedorah's earth. Clearly the most frustrating fight Godzilla had experienced in his long career. Can't blame him for wanting to make sure that one stayed down.

3. MvG: Godzilla frees himself from the net trap. He didn't need to take out the towers, or melt all those tanks, but he did.

Honorable Mention 1: Shin Godzilla: They finally provoked a response! :freak: I consider this one less of a going berserk than that the humans actually managed to do something that warranted a counterattack. Demonstrated wonderfully just how far out of their depth our heroes were.

Honorable Mention 2: GAM: Godzilla comes back. This also isn't a berserk incident, but it has a special tension all its own. Godzilla's not just back in Tokyo randomly, he's gunning for Kiryu, and he won't stop until he has him.
Last edited by MC_Lovecraft on Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goji4ever
Ronin

Post by goji4ever »

Well upon thinking about it I have a new top one

1 Godzilla going “primal” vs Kong to end the fight. I was somewhat annoyed at how fast moving the monsters seemed throughout.. but Godzilla finally getting legitimately annoyed and fighting in a fit of rage was great.. just mindless aggression.

2 Return of Godzilla… he comes back to life and is hell bent on wrecking the Super X… it takes off running and the director even tries to give the X a dignified exit by playing the heroic theme of the super X when suddenly Godzilla blasts through the building (shuts off the music with that shot) and just chases after it even as it unloads on him.. determination vs desperation.

One that I found surprising and actually cool was in in G vs Destoyah when at his angriest godzilla is laying into the enemy as expected but suddenly he breaks off into its smaller forms and completely breaks godzillas momentum.. that was a great unexpected turn in that fight
Last edited by goji4ever on Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I mean the ending of the Ginza scene, and pretty much all of -1.0 takes the cake.

"You hit me with tanks? Time to flip the table!"
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Yeah. He's just an angry fella all throughout Minus One and it's hard not to appreciate it. The physical embodiment of rage.

But I think there are other moments that succeed in different ways. Him flipping out in GvK had me speechless in the theater. MV Godzilla tends to be pretty chill unless there's some bad shit going on. So to see him snap is pretty wild.

And then there are the classic "REVENGE" moments in the Heisei movies: Spanking Mechagodzilla after Rodan's sacrifice and going all in on Destoroyah for killing Junior (even if he doesn't get to land the final blow).

I love all of these. But Minus One really was "Godzilla Loses His Shit: The Movie."
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

G.H.B
Interpol Agent

Post by G.H.B »

Just the opening attack on Odo Island is more brutal and violent than the majority of his career. Godzilla’s always had that dog in him, but Minus One is the film where he truly shines as an avatar of black air force ignorance.