What Gets On Your Nerves 2, The Thread Without a Witty Subtitle!

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Re: What Gets On Your Nerves 2, The Thread Without a Witty Subtitle!

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

I don’t like April Fools day. It’s still the 31st for me at the time of this posting, but I’m already seeing some sites do their jokes, so saying it now. It drives me up the wall more and more every year. There is no overarching reason, it’s not like it killed my grandma or something, I just don’t like it. Websites making themselves actively worse or just fucking unusable for a day, companies thinking they’re funny when they’re goddamn not, people who still fall for this shit despite it being literally like clockwork, it’s just a day that pisses me off.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Props to Sega for giving us an April Fools Day joke that was actually kinda neat.
Spoiler:
Because it's actually a game you can play. :P
TBH I only use April Fools for small pranks. I don't think there's any real way to SURPRISE anyone with it at this point, unless you do it like, two days before.. or wait the day after.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:06 pm I don’t like April Fools day. It’s still the 31st for me at the time of this posting, but I’m already seeing some sites do their jokes, so saying it now. It drives me up the wall more and more every year. There is no overarching reason, it’s not like it killed my grandma or something, I just don’t like it. Websites making themselves actively worse or just fucking unusable for a day, companies thinking they’re funny when they’re goddamn not, people who still fall for this shit despite it being literally like clockwork, it’s just a day that pisses me off.
It's obnoxious because Japan's New Year, as in the fiscal/educational one, begins April 1st, and a ton of important things usually happen here. It's rare, but I had to come into work today (Saturday, April 1st), and when I told American friends that, or something, they thought I was kidding. I also said something rather serious, comment about the trajectory of my life/what my wife and I want to do in a couple of years (quit our jobs and move somewhere else in Japan, Vietnam/Korea, or Canada, or back to America) and it wasn't taken seriously just because of the date.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Oh yeah same here with my girlfriend and I. It has to be the corniest holiday ever, it just allows billions of people to show off their acting chops and ability to lie to someones face, that doesn't sound appealing to me. Like I'll joke all the time, but on April Fools there's people who can't joke, attempting to, and just causing panic or disgust or a whole number of things. So be prepared for World War 3 jokes, gag superhero announcements, frankly the entire pop culture scene and social media is just chaos for a full 24 hours.

It's the one holiday I'm pessimistic about.

The worst is when news outlets attempt it, be it fan news accounts, or "how do you do, fellow kids" reporting sites attempting to be funny.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

People honking at me while I'm out walking. It's one of the worse ways to disrupt the peace of mind I either get or am trying to get during those periods.

Added in 56 seconds:
GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:06 pm I don’t like April Fools day.
Join the club.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I pick up my girl in NYC when she takes a train out here from where she lives. She plans on coming before my birthday (Which is April 26th), but now with this Trump shit popping off come Tuesday I’m worried that we’ll have to deal with a horde of rednecks coming from the hard right states on trains and buses and on the city streets with their flags, guns, and ridiculously sized compensation Pick-up Trucks for the next couple of months.

Added in 7 minutes 54 seconds:
And I’m one to easily get into conflict, just the way I was raised by a drill sergeant dad who was in and out of my life. Now he’s an E9 so I’m glad he’s living down in New Mexico lol.

Anyway I have this thing where I feel like I have to always stick up for and protect my own, even when ignoring the situation is the safer alternative. So when I’m in the city with my girlfriend or my mom I’m like always keeping an eye on everyone, now you introduce a bunch of testosterone filled rednecks itching to get brutal with the civilians of the “absolute shit hole that is New York City”, and we’ve got ourselves a problem.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:52 am Anyway I have this thing where I feel like I have to always stick up for and protect my own, even when ignoring the situation is the safer alternative. So when I’m in the city with my girlfriend or my mom I’m like always keeping an eye on everyone, now you introduce a bunch of testosterone filled rednecks itching to get brutal with the civilians of the “absolute shit hole that is New York City”, and we’ve got ourselves a problem.
I hope your girlfriend or your mom is able to put her hand on your shoulder and remind you that they’re not worth it. A fun day with you is better than a trip to the police station or the emergency room.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:52 am“absolute shit hole that is New York City”, and we’ve got ourselves a problem.
NYC has some problems and quirks, but honestly it’s easily one of the greatest places on the earth, and to live (if you can afford it). NYers complain all the time about NYC, but it’s obnoxious when outsiders use their gripes as a way to undermine one of the best cities on earth. Man I miss nyc lol.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

SpiderZilla wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:32 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:52 am Anyway I have this thing where I feel like I have to always stick up for and protect my own, even when ignoring the situation is the safer alternative. So when I’m in the city with my girlfriend or my mom I’m like always keeping an eye on everyone, now you introduce a bunch of testosterone filled rednecks itching to get brutal with the civilians of the “absolute shit hole that is New York City”, and we’ve got ourselves a problem.
I hope your girlfriend or your mom is able to put her hand on your shoulder and remind you that they’re not worth it. A fun day with you is better than a trip to the police station or the emergency room.
Yeah they definitely do, I then loosen up pretty significantly afterward. What you've mentioned is what I've been realizing pretty recently but I do forget about it sometimes, so I appreciate you bringing it up to remind me.

At 22 I've gotta learn to just let things go and not get tense because as you said a fun day together is certainly better than the alternative. I'm not a kid anymore so if things go sideways there's much more to lose lol. I guess I'm just bracing for the potential stupidity I'll see out there in a few weeks when I go to scoop her (and then when she has to go back)

Added in 4 minutes 12 seconds:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:42 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:52 am“absolute shit hole that is New York City”, and we’ve got ourselves a problem.
NYC has some problems and quirks, but honestly it’s easily one of the greatest places on the earth, and to live (if you can afford it). NYers complain all the time about NYC, but it’s obnoxious when outsiders use their gripes as a way to undermine one of the best cities on earth. Man I miss nyc lol.
Exactly! I'm there all the time so if I see a rat the size of a dog I can joke about it, or how our bagels and pizza are the best because of our dirty water, but it's like if family cracks on you vs if some random does it. Don't get me wrong, I generally take no issue with people voicing their contempt with the city as it's not my problem, even if they're waving cult flags and insulting everything, I'll just ignore them as the obnoxious in-the-box thinkers they are.

But if someone say, points my folks out specifically, while we're having a nice walk through the square, I do feel it'd end up difficult to ignore.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Thats kinda like how Jacksonville natives are except we do in fact hate our city.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:52 am I pick up my girl in NYC when she takes a train out here from where she lives. She plans on coming before my birthday (Which is April 26th), but now with this Trump shit popping off come Tuesday I’m worried that we’ll have to deal with a horde of rednecks coming from the hard right states on trains and buses and on the city streets with their flags, guns, and ridiculously sized compensation Pick-up Trucks for the next couple of months.

And I’m one to easily get into conflict, just the way I was raised by a drill sergeant dad who was in and out of my life. Now he’s an E9 so I’m glad he’s living down in New Mexico lol.

Anyway I have this thing where I feel like I have to always stick up for and protect my own, even when ignoring the situation is the safer alternative. So when I’m in the city with my girlfriend or my mom I’m like always keeping an eye on everyone, now you introduce a bunch of testosterone filled rednecks itching to get brutal with the civilians of the “absolute shit hole that is New York City”, and we’ve got ourselves a problem.
I totally sympathize and hope they don't give you any trouble. If I can be that asshat tossing out unasked for advice, though, I do recommend rereading your post and remembering the stereotypes they associate with you. Ignorant city kid arrogantly looking down on the rural culture he doesn't understand. Loud, brash, obnoxious New Yorker, hostile to outsiders and always looking for a fight. Don't be what they think you are, and hopefully they'll return the favor. Honestly, as bad as the media makes them look, I live out here in Trump country, I know a bunch of people who support him, and they're mostly normal, civil, average joes. Obviously the type that drive up to New York to support him stand a higher chance of actually being the stereotype, but still.

EDIT: I should also toss out that I love New York. One of the few places in America that actually feels important and can stand up there with any of the Old World's great, historic cities. An icon and a global cultural juggernaut. It's very high on the list of places I need to visit someday.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:20 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:52 am I pick up my girl in NYC when she takes a train out here from where she lives. She plans on coming before my birthday (Which is April 26th), but now with this Trump shit popping off come Tuesday I’m worried that we’ll have to deal with a horde of rednecks coming from the hard right states on trains and buses and on the city streets with their flags, guns, and ridiculously sized compensation Pick-up Trucks for the next couple of months.

I totally sympathize and hope they don't give you any trouble. If I can be that asshat tossing out unasked for advice, though, I do recommend rereading your post and remembering the stereotypes they associate with you. Ignorant city kid arrogantly looking down on the rural culture he doesn't understand. Loud, brash, obnoxious New Yorker, hostile to outsiders and always looking for a fight. Don't be what they think you are, and hopefully they'll return the favor. Honestly, as bad as the media makes them look, I live out here in Trump country, I know a bunch of people who support him, and they're mostly normal, civil, average joes. Obviously the type that drive up to New York to support him stand a higher chance of actually being the stereotype, but still.
Absolutely agree with you, and honestly I would've never guessed you lived in Trump country, which pretty much proves your point lol. So I can certainly see where you're coming from, as even with all the differences, holding a certain mindset can create a similar rationale even in two different worlds.

I think the reason I hold the stereotype I do is because I'm close friends with many people down south (and even up North!) who always discuss how backwoods it all is, the judgement, the youth ending up all sorts of messed up from backwards thinking parents, advantageous men, suicides, death justifications, book bannings, yadda yadda the list just gets worse and worse. But I know the good ol southern hospitality has to ring true somewhere! So I do hold a lot of respect for Southerners for their reliance on independence.

A ton of people in my area are big fans of Trump, hell even my best friend and his family who moved to New Mexico love the guy. But like you said, it's those MAGA guys I take issue with, the ones who I have a feeling will try to make themselves heard. I do believe there are good people out there, I just don't believe the MAGA guys are those good people lol. There's actually folk who live out here, who have "ULTRAMAGA" flags on their properties, which I didn't even know was a thing, plus the loud pick up trucks doubled up with trump flags, etc. Comes across as extremely cultish.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

All right, cool, so you do know what you're talking about and your stereotyping is informed. :lol: Good to know. Yeah, the South and rural areas absolutely have their problems. I know people who fall into almost all of the problem categories you listed, and more. Racism is prevalent, and I have family who have been on the receiving end of it. Drugs are everywhere; the police busted a meth lab right on my street a few years ago, and I've had coworkers arrested for dealing or drug related violence. Overly religious/conservative parents and teachers are common and do indoctrinate and screw up their kids; my younger siblings see that every day at school, though fortunately they're savvy enough to keep from being sucked in themselves. The good exists too, though, and it's a lot more visible.

Trump supporters are definitely a wide spectrum. I have no doubt that plenty of them actually are as caustic and backwards as the reputation suggests, but it always pays to give them the benefit of the doubt. I have some neighbors with Trump flags and Back the Blue flags all over their yard... and they're an LGBTQ couple. No way they support the full range of hate and bigotry, you know? Some of the hickest, most in-your-face redneck people around here are also gigantic weebs. You just never know.

Me personally, I'm from Cleveland, Ohio, originally, so if I don't come across as Southern, that's why. I'm not. I've lived in Georgia most of my life, but it's still weird and foreign in a lot of ways. I can't stand dirt bikes or ATVs, I've never tried boiled peanuts, grits are gross, peaches and sweet tea are okay at best. Pecan pie is legit, though, and Coke is way better than Pepsi. Chick-fil-A is one of the greatest fast food chains that will ever exist.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Handsome Shrek
JXSDF Technician

Post by Handsome Shrek »

Just job hunting in general can go to hell

I am taking a break from my career stuff for a while after finishing an internship, so I've just been applying at places like gyms and stuff for temporary jobs (I love fitness). Holy hell, it is so goddamn difficult to get even just an interview holy shit. I had one interview on Wednesday evening with a gym, and I really liked the guy who interviewed me, and the interview went very well. He told me to wait 48 hours or so afterwards for a response, and I still haven't heard anything.

The logical part of my brain knows that often employers can take a while to respond, but my mind works super rigid, so if I am given a time frame for this stuff and I don't hear anything, I freak out and think I'm ghosted lol. I don't know if he 100% ghosted me but if he did then I'm gonna be very sad; he seemed genuine, trustworthy, and respectful though, so I don't think he seemed like the ghosting type.

I really really hope I get this job, because if I don't then it's back on the application train. The other day I applied for another gym, and they made me write like 5 paragraphs explaining why I want the job and such, and made me take a stupid behavior test and cognitive assessment for one minimum wage club staff job where all I do is talk to people and all that lol
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Handsome Shrek wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:46 am Just job hunting in general can go to hell

I am taking a break from my career stuff for a while after finishing an internship, so I've just been applying at places like gyms and stuff for temporary jobs (I love fitness). Holy hell, it is so goddamn difficult to get even just an interview holy shit. I had one interview on Wednesday evening with a gym, and I really liked the guy who interviewed me, and the interview went very well. He told me to wait 48 hours or so afterwards for a response, and I still haven't heard anything.

The logical part of my brain knows that often employers can take a while to respond, but my mind works super rigid, so if I am given a time frame for this stuff and I don't hear anything, I freak out and think I'm ghosted lol. I don't know if he 100% ghosted me but if he did then I'm gonna be very sad; he seemed genuine, trustworthy, and respectful though, so I don't think he seemed like the ghosting type.
I hate to say it, but you probably didn’t get the job. I agree it’s ridiculous though, and stupid. I wish jobs would just flat out reject you. However, I think for many jobs they choose to ghost in fear that someone they reject is some psycho who takes it way too personally.
The other day I applied for another gym, and they made me write like 5 paragraphs explaining why I want the job and such, and made me take a stupid behavior test and cognitive assessment for one minimum wage club staff job where all I do is talk to people and all that lol
The cynical part of my mind is telling me that the essay part is sort of a filter to see if you’d get angry and say no. I wouldn’t mind working at a gym or doing some part time gig, but I’d find the entire idea of writing an essay for something like that incredibly condescending. I’d probably start lecturing them that (if they specified five paragraphs exactly) that the five paragraph essay is a lazy way to teach writing and one of the failures of the American educational system (lol). Then they’ll promptly tell me to get out and they don’t want me, and then I won’t disagree. That’s what that essay is for I believe, to filter out people.

I might have to think about that in a year or so. The fucked up thing is I might not mind working a simple part time job TEMPORARILY making not so much money, as long as it gives me time to spend with my family+time to walk into other endeavors. Theres stuff I could lock myself into, and be fine, but not worth it. But then just wanting to take a break from some long term career, like in your experience, may be alienating to potential employers.

Anyways, good luck with the job hunt. I hope I’m wrong and you get a call shortly from that gym.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:35 am
Handsome Shrek wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:46 am I had one interview on Wednesday evening with a gym, and I really liked the guy who interviewed me, and the interview went very well. He told me to wait 48 hours or so afterwards for a response, and I still haven't heard anything.
I hate to say it, but you probably didn’t get the job. I agree it’s ridiculous though, and stupid. I wish jobs would just flat out reject you. However, I think for many jobs they choose to ghost in fear that someone they reject is some psycho who takes it way too personally.
The cynical part of my brain thinks they’re waiting to see how desperate you are. If you call after 48 hours, they’ll offer you the job but pay you less than if they had to take the first step. I don’t know what advice to give you. I suppose it depends on your wage requirements. Worst case, you call and they say they’re passing on you. Second worst case, you call and turn them down because they’re trying to lowball you on wages.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Finally got to chill with a friend of mine after 4-5 years of kinda going our own ways. We had a great time, got loaded on Jack and Coca-Cola, but then as soon as it hit us like a bus, some weirdo(s) with their phone lights on, looked inside my yard fence while I was laid out on the grass laughing at my friend who had also fell.

It felt invasive, weird, creepy, so I managed to get myself back there and opened the gate, but they had already walked up the dark alley which is meant for the electric towers, and I was too loaded to chase after em.

It could’ve been a nosy neighbor or graffiti kids or something but still, really weird.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:04 am Finally got to chill with a friend of mine after 4-5 years of kinda going our own ways. We had a great time, got loaded on Jack and Coca-Cola, but then as soon as it hit us like a bus, some weirdo(s) with their phone lights on, looked inside my yard fence while I was laid out on the grass laughing at my friend who had also fell.

It felt invasive, weird, creepy, so I managed to get myself back there and opened the gate, but they had already walked up the dark alley which is meant for the electric towers, and I was too loaded to chase after em.

It could’ve been a nosy neighbor or graffiti kids or something but still, really weird.
Just tell yourself you and your friend saw an alien/a sasquatch and it goes from creepy to a night to remember!
That is strange though and definitely vibe killing. Maybe a thief (though why draw attention with a light).

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:48 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:04 am Finally got to chill with a friend of mine after 4-5 years of kinda going our own ways. We had a great time, got loaded on Jack and Coca-Cola, but then as soon as it hit us like a bus, some weirdo(s) with their phone lights on, looked inside my yard fence while I was laid out on the grass laughing at my friend who had also fell.

Just tell yourself you and your friend saw an alien/a sasquatch and it goes from creepy to a night to remember!
That is strange though and definitely vibe killing. Maybe a thief (though why draw attention with a light).
:lol: :lol: I wish I could witness the rural supernatural experience! But in a borderline town suburb it's hard to imagine anyone besides weirdos and nosy neighbors in the area. Like you said, could've been a thief, but we were loud and the whole flashlight thing was incredibly weird. When I managed to get back there I looked one way and saw a shadowy figure at the end of the road by the street light, but if it were a neighbor I'd imagine they'd of just slipped back into their nearby gate door quietly. So I'm incredibly perplexed and now I guess I'm to assume if I ever make it big in the future I'll probably see whatever footage they might've taken of me :lol: .

I'm not one to be so easily embarrassed though, just mainly pissed about the invasion of privacy.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

It's a little thing, but books that don't have titles on their spines. I just got the 1972 UFO contactee book Visitors From Lanulos, a cheaply printed edition by a tiny, now defunct publisher, and the spine is blank. Lame. I'm a collector, so the appearance of a book on the shelf is half the point for me.

Amazon got it to me a day ahead of schedule, though, so there's that.