Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2023)

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Re: Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2023)

Post by Shenanigans »

S.P. divided fans, there's nothing new there; its one of the most subjective entries of the franchise.

Anyways, I made this quick comparison of the Jiger designs.

I'm really feeling this new design. It feels bolder than some of, say, the Millennium-era Godzilla monster redesigns, most of which stuck fairly close to their source material; the design for Jiger took a few "risks", which is evident by having a completely new shape/silhouette. But at the same time, it isn't so far removed from the original design that it feels like a completely separate character, like the various Kumongas from Singular Point did.

Its pretty recognizable as Jiger and sports all of her main attributes, but feels very different and "new" as well. I think its the best of both worlds. Now its just a matter of seeing how they utilize this neat design, but so far the action looks on-point. But in terms of just the design aspect, they nailed it, IMO.

Its still somewhat surreal to me to see another Gamera foe who isn't Gyaos coming back. Outside of a stray few video games and comics, Gyaos has been the only Gamera monster to ever return in any major capacity in nearly six decades, so its nice to see them finally mining the franchise's characters again. I'm very excited to see who else they bring back! :D
Last edited by Shenanigans on Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Godzillakuj94
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzillakuj94 »

I get big rat/mouse vibes from the proportions mixed with a little bit of ceratiosian.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Godzillakuj94 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:41 am I get big rat/mouse vibes from the proportions mixed with a little bit of ceratiosian.
Same, I actually thought of that lost "Nezura" rat monster looking at the proportions.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Hmmm that would be kind of neat to give Gamera an enemy based on Nezura.
"I WAS THE ONE THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN CREATED! NOT A STUPID TURTLE LIKE YOU!"
I like mythology gags like that. I'm shocked that some form of rainbow colored Ghidorah hasn't been worked in some way. Be it a sign he's weakening, getting stronger, or just after being formed from a meteor before settling one gold.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I'm not too keen on the proportions myself, sure it's uncanny (and that does work for giant monsters), but the huge head and skinny body just isn't doing it for me.
He Jock it Made of Steel

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Sorry for the non-Gamera tangent, but this is something I've been meaning to address for a while, after reading an interview about Ghidorah's color:

daveblackeye15 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:50 am I'm shocked that some form of rainbow colored Ghidorah hasn't been worked in some way. Be it a sign he's weakening, getting stronger, or just after being formed from a meteor before settling one gold.

The original color of King Ghidorah is a hotly contested debate, where it appears to be a misunderstanding and various sources contradict each other. According to the suits painter, Murase Keizo, it was always intended to be gold:
KM: I made King Ghidorah’s necks. I made them the same way I made Godzilla’s tail. The inner model was made by the Yagi brothers out of wire netting. I also painted the suit.

There are many rumors about King Ghidorah’s color! I only remember gold. (Black was the base color.)

BH: But it was always intended to be gold.

KM: While making the suit, the latex became very sticky, so we put baby powder on it. After that, perhaps it looked blue due how to the baby powder reflected light. But it was not the final stage. It still needed to be painted gold.

We never painted it blue. The SFX scripter (Keiko Suzuki) once said there was a blue King Ghidorah. She must have been in the studio and seen King Ghidorah before it was finished. But the suit was not finished. When I was at Mr. Nakajima’s book publishing party, I told her there was never a blue King Ghidorah. But she insisted that she saw it. So I explained it was not finished when she saw it. Even though she wrote that King Ghidorah was gold in the script, she said there was a blue King Ghidorah. So everybody got confused.
Source:
https://vantagepointinterviews.com/2018 ... est-kaiju/

Seems like there's a bit of misunderstanding and contradiction by multiple people involved, but Mr. Murase has no reason to lie, and was obviously the most informed in the entire proccess. It's still possible Murase is wrong, but it puts a sizeable dent in the definitive idea and may just be a rumor. If you think it's crazy to confuse gold for blue, based on lighting, consider the big internet meme of "what color is the dress" from a few years back.

Back to Gamera:
I'm surprised people are taken aback by Jiger's proportions. It's true Jiger has a large head, but like it always has. A freakishly large head has always been part of it's design. I guess people are surprised by how skinny it is, relative to the head, but Jiger was always pretty lopsided.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

looks like the same big ass headed ugly pointy thing to me

pretty recognizable

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I’ve always hated the Jiger design but this new one is amazing while not losing out on what made the original version unique

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

I don't like the third eye honestly.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

It’s not an eye it’s where it shoots it’s beam out of. There’s no pupil etc.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Jiger's redesign is actually quite reminiscent of Barugon's manga redesign, at least to me.

Its another fairly dramatic redesign that still keeps all Barugon's major features. There's also the dramatic change in color, the emphasis on the features of their backs (the increase in size of Jiger's back sail, Barugon's spikes being larger and glowing), both have a red thing on their heads. And whereas Jiger seems to have some mouse-like aspects, elements of Barugon's design seem to have been inspired partly by a cat.

I like this Barugon redesign as well. If Barugon were to appear in this series, something like this could be neat, though I'm doubtful they'd reuse this design. Still, it feels like it would be a perfect fit given the similarities to Jiger's redesign.

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

Wow. The trailer looks like shit.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Malchik wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:35 am Wow. The trailer looks like shit.
You just watched it? Nothing about it interested you?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I'm guessing you're getting tired off the same jerky 3D-anime look time and time again. That's understandable.

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:22 pm
I'm guessing you're getting tired off the same jerky 3D-anime look time and time again. That's understandable.
You got it. The story might be great, but Goddamn, I can't stomach this animation style any longer.
king_ghidorah wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:30 pm
You just watched it? Nothing about it interested you?
The turtle just deserves better, dammit.
Last edited by Malchik on Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

For those who haven't seen it already, the next batch of news will come in a little over a week.

https://gamera-rebirth.com/news/index00230000.html

Maybe we'll get another kaiju reveal or two. At the very least I would expect a release date; my bet's still on August, which I'm basing on nothing in particular.

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

Shenanigans wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:29 pm For those who haven't seen it already, the next batch of news will come in a little over a week.

https://gamera-rebirth.com/news/index00230000.html

Maybe we'll get another kaiju reveal or two. At the very least I would expect a release date; my bet's still on August, which I'm basing on nothing in particular.
Definitely thinking a another Kaiju reveal, and at least a release window.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

I've been looking forward to Rebirth for weeks; I'm pleased with what I've seen so far and am going to choose to go into it with optimism.

If I had to guess for the May event coming up, we'll get at least one more monster reveal, a possible release date, and probably something in the way of the next batch of Bandai figures.

My money has been on either Guiron/Barugon coming back, and possibly the new monster from the 2016 short that they did.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I would love to see either of them show up. They could do something very creative with Guiron's knife head.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

Why do they keep rehashing the same shit? Gettin' tired member berries. Considering how well the recent Shin-style movies have been this seems rather lazy.