Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

Post by _JNavs_ »

Debating if I should have my Rebirth Gamera shipped. Says I have 58 days till it auto-ships from the private warehouse, which means I have till May 28th. But the order besides Gamera only consists of Jiger and Gyaos who both have a June estimate, hmmm.. What's the chances of an earlier release for them?
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Baragon (along with Rebirth Gamera and Flying Shin Ultraman) are starting to pop up in stores, courtesy of Twitter. Baragon looks fantastic:

{---HYPERZeTToN---}
G-Force Personnel

Post by {---HYPERZeTToN---} »

_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:13 am Debating if I should have my Rebirth Gamera shipped. Says I have 58 days till it auto-ships from the private warehouse, which means I have till May 28th. But the order besides Gamera only consists of Jiger and Gyaos who both have a June estimate, hmmm.. What's the chances of an earlier release for them?
MMS toys release 2 days earlier from their initial set date, at most, so you're out of luck with that one

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Baragon looks good, but the horn feels like its a little off. Like not long enough and a little too curvy. It's a very minor nitpick, and there's probably a practical reason for doing that, but still.

MMS Baragon, Ebirah, and King Ghidorah should finally arrive today. I should remember that if I order from the Godzilla store directly, they'll bundle with the latest release date. I'll save on shipping, but if I want my stuff sooner than later its a shame. Also, I just got the Rebirth Gamera. I'm excited to add it to my collection, and sooner or later I'm going to create a dedicated Gamera shelf.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

]Okay, here we go:

King Ghidorah 1991 (2023) is a FINE figure, with a lot of great points, and a few specific problems that people will utterly decry it for.
Spoiler:
First the positives:
The detailing is great. You can see Ghidorah's golden scales, and while the picture doesn't do it justice, it feels like Ghidorah has more "meat on him" than the old figures. It feels like Ghidorah can appropriately kick Godzilla into the ground from the air.

The wings:
The wings have a good amount of articulation, and detailing. Check the "veins" on that too. They feel much more like wings, rather than those "chunks of plastic" the old figures have. Even if Ghidorah's necks aren't so long, when the wings are up, it's a striking and intimidating figure.

Ghidorah looks really good from the back.
Spoiler:
Paint is really good too. Matches the film version well.

Negatives:
Price (don't need to elaborate)
Scale: This really isn't an issue for me personally, as I collect figures of varying sizes, but I get some people who wanted a less shrimpy Ghidorah.
Necks: The necks are a little too short and sort of fuse together.

My verdict that Ghidorah isn't a disaster, and is a better figure than the older ones, but overpriced IMO.

Ebirah:
Awesome. While he's short height wise, he's rather long and big. So even though he's short, he's intimidating. His arms have nice articulation and you can get expressive with it.
Spoiler:
I wish its dominant claw was a bit bigger, and more open though.
Spoiler:
It's recognizably Ebirah, and if you want an Ebirah figure, there you go.
The paint is fine, as are the detailing. The black paint is a weird choice, but it works.

Surprised they detailed this part, I wish they painted it:
Spoiler:
But that's like detail that didn't need to be there.

Baragon:
Spoiler:
Baragon is Baragon. Everything is fine about him. You like Baragon, its what you get. A near perfect figure. I wish he was just a slightly more brown color, and his horn was a bit larger, but he's fine. He'll fit along nicely with Varan, and Gorosaurus.

Here's all three:

Anyways, in conclusion:
All three are decent figures, with Ghidorah being the weakest. Baragon and Ebirah are fine additions to anyones collection, especially for Showa fans. Bandai isn't on a roll, but its clear along with the Shin ultra man stuff they can still out out great figures. I hope Bandai just gets around to making Kumonga and Gabara.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:03 am, edited 6 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Good reviews.

You reposted the same figure of Ebirah when it should have been Baragon.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:36 am ]Okay, here we go:

King Ghidorah 1991 (2023) is a FINE figure

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, good one..

Spoiler:
First the positives:
The detailing is great. You can see Ghidorah's golden scales, and while the picture doesn't do it justice, it feels like Ghidorah has more "meat on him" than the old figures. It feels like Ghidorah can appropriately kick Godzilla into the ground from the air.

The wings:
The wings have a good amount of articulation, and detailing. Check the "veins" on that too. They feel much more like wings, rather than those "chunks of plastic" the old figures have. Even if Ghidorah's necks aren't so long, when the wings are up, it's a striking and intimidating figure.

Ghidorah looks really good from the back.
Spoiler:
Paint is really good too. Matches the film version well.

Negatives:
Price (don't need to elaborate)
Scale: This really isn't an issue for me personally, as I collect figures of varying sizes, but I get some people who wanted a less shrimpy Ghidorah.
Necks: The necks are a little too short and sort of fuse together.

My verdict that Ghidorah isn't a disaster, and is a better figure than the older ones, but overpriced IMO.

This KG looks like a sawed-off runt with too many visits to Krispy Kremes, and these photos only reinforce this. Sorry, but with all due respect to "it's actually not that bad / To each their own / It's just an opinion and it's all subjective / yada yada yada"....but NOPE.

Also, not to single you out, but what's with with the "spoiler" tags for figure reviews and photos? :?: :lol: For new film reviews and comics, I can *somewhat* understand (though anyone actually demanding no spoilers on a message board is beyond hilarious), but for figure reviews? :huge: :lol: :shrug: Anyways, I digress...

Ebirah:
Awesome. While he's short height wise, he's rather long and big. So even though he's short, he's intimidating. His arms have nice articulation and you can get expressive with it.
Spoiler:
I wish its dominant claw was a bit bigger, and more open though.
Spoiler:
It's recognizably Ebirah, and if you want an Ebirah figure, there you go.
The paint is fine, as are the detailing. The black paint is a weird choice, but it works.

Surprised they detailed this part, I wish they painted it:
Spoiler:
But that's like detail that didn't need to be there.
Totally agree....I know I've busted Bandai's chops over the years (and deservedly so), but they really hit a home run here. Nice :g64:

As I previously mentioned, if I didn't already have the Xplus 30cm Ebirah or the Marmit MH FW Ebirah, I would be all over this figure like flies on shit.

Baragon:
Spoiler:
Baragon is Baragon. Everything is fine about him. You like Baragon, its what you get. A near perfect figure. I wish he was just a slightly more brown color, and his horn was a bit larger, but he's fine. He'll fit along nicely with Varan, and Gorosaurus.

Here's all three:

Agreed. Baragon looks decent...but I'm definitely not in the "it's a must own" category. Definitely better alternatives out there.
Anyways, in conclusion:
All three are decent figures, with Ghidorah being the weakest. Baragon and Ebirah are fine additions to anyones collection, especially for Showa fans. Bandai isn't on a roll, but its clear along with the Shin ultra man stuff they can still out out great figures. I hope Bandai just gets around to making Kumonga and Gabara.
I wouldn't mind seeing a Showa Kumonga from Bandai, which is one of the few holes remaining in my collection (the only Showa Kumonga figure I own is the Marmit Parababy).
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

All three look pretty good, though I don't collect MMS as much as I used to so I will be passing on all of them. Baragon's the best of the batch for sure. I think Ghidorah's only real flaw is his price. Destrudos from Ultraman Z got an Ultra Kaiju DX release last week or so, for the same price and he has more volume. I think the molding is better in this Ghidorah than on the older one, especially around the wings and the faces. One of the heads is snarling! Such a wild time for the MMS.

Bring on the Gamera figures!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that Ghidorah is a misfire. The wingspan is impressive but these faces and necks are just completely off. I dont know how anyone can look at the 1998 figure and say this one is much better.

Baragon looks really good. If this figure was the exact same price as the Playmates Baragon people would be tearing that figure a new asshole they way they should be. But as the Bandai Creation figures proved 20 years ago, people will forgive anything if the price is cheap.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I like his faces and the wings! There's a weird curve at the end of the wings that remind me of the suit, and the wings don't seem as puffy. To me, everything looks less puffy compared to the original. Especially the proportion of the heads to the body. I think they could have added different hues to the body. He's just a solid gold color, when maybe some spray painting somewhere else on the body could give him a better contrast.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Less puffy? Most of the positivity I've been seeing directed at this figure is that it's bulkier than the original. How is it less puffy?
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

The more pictures Ive seen of this Ghidorah the more excited I am for it. It genuinely looks amazing. Im more excited for it than either of the other two but Ghidorah is one of my favorite kaiju and I love the movie its from so thats no shock.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:04 am Less puffy? Most of the positivity I've been seeing directed at this figure is that it's bulkier than the original. How is it less puffy?
The wings on the old one are rather thick, with way less curvature. This Ghidorah’s wings are much more accurate and molded nicely. The body of this one is bulkier, but the wings are thinner and better.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Put in an order for Ebirah, Baragon, Megaguirus, and Legion Soldier. As I felt these all seem like such superb Bandai releases. I like it when it seems like Bandai is putting in an effort.

The ones left that I just couldn’t justify the price tag on were Baby Ghidorah and Battra, though considering how few Battra’s there are, I might change my tune on that. The paint on Ghidorah is great, I even love the sculpt on the heads! But the Godzilla side of Movie Monster Series are severely suffering from a lack of a DX subline like Ultraman has. Which is weird considering how many Titans are in the G franchise.

We’ve had Biollantiny and Prince Ghidorah, off the top of my head.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I really wanted that Battra from last year...until I saw it.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Well to continue the disagreement, the new Ghidorah looks great to me. The size is the one thing I would nitpick personally, but scale has never bothered me much with this line. I don’t really understand the problem with the heads, they seem fine to me… maybe someone can explain it?
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:18 am I really wanted that Battra from last year...until I saw it.
Yeah the pearly white teeth, while an issue, wouldn’t have turned me away, but the complete lack of yellow paint on the underside is such a disappointment.

Especially since he’s supposed to hang on a ceiling or a shelf, so all you’d get to see are a lack of paint apps.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

CyberZilla wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:29 am Well to continue the disagreement, the new Ghidorah looks great to me. The size is the one thing I would nitpick personally, but scale has never bothered me much with this line. I don’t really understand the problem with the heads, they seem fine to me… maybe someone can explain it?
They might be a bit bunched up for some folks at the neck. I could see that argument.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Baragon is near-excellent. Almost all the flaws I’m seeing are within the matte coloring and minor sculpt imperfections. It looks great overall, and from what I’m seeing it is on the larger end. Here is a Twitter photo someone got with both the new and original 8” for scale:

Maybe I’m just excited though because Baragon is my favorite monster after Godzilla; it’s really hard for me to pass on a retail version. Between him, Ebirah and Shin Pagos, I have been a happy camper.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Damn, man. The original Baragon was actually underscaled but it was still pretty robust. It's awesome to see that the new one is just as big, even a hair taller.