Official "Return of Ultraman" Thread

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Re: Official "Return of Ultraman" Thread

Post by gvamp »

Like others have said the news has hit me hard. Return of Ultraman is easily my second favorite Ultraman show and just barely got beat out by Ultraman 80. Go was easily my favorite human ultra host though. A sad loss indeed.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I knew this was an inevitability. However like when an original Trek cast member is lost, this is especially hard for us fans of Ultraman. I am glad we did get the couple of movies in 2007/2008 that we did with the original Ultra Brothers. I just wish they had done a few more. We will never see the glory of Hayata,Dan, Goh, and Hokuto together now. But I guess it makes those movies all the more special now. Oddly enough I just watched them again recently.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Does anyone else think that they should pay tribute to him in the 2023 Ultra season?

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Genuinely heartbroken by this news. While I certainly liked/enjoyed the other shows/fragments of shows I had seem at that point, buying and watching the Malaysian Return of Ultraman DVD set in the summer of 2013 is what completely solidified me as a mega fan. Thanks in no small part to Jiro Dan's performance.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:46 pm Does anyone else think that they should pay tribute to him in the 2023 Ultra season?
Well, as this is (I believe?) the first actor to play host to an Ultraman in a series to pass away, I'm sure there will be multiple tributes for a while. One of the earlier posts mentions a specific classic Ultraman episode being uploaded to view for free on Youtube by TPC
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

o.supreme wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:43 pm Well, as this is (I believe?) the first actor to play host to an Ultraman in a series to pass away
He is the first live action lead Ultra host to pass, though the distinction of the first host to pass would go to Kei Tomiyama (d. 1996), who voiced Choichiro Hikari in The ☆ Ultraman.

In addition, there are several "secondary" Ultra hosts who have left us, such as Peggy Hayama (Mother of Ultra), Isao Tamagawa (Father of Ultra's Santa disguise) and Minoru Tanaka (GUYS' Captain Shingo/Zoffy).
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

Anyone done a check on Anno since RoU is basically his inspiration
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

EarthNeronga
Gotengo Officer

Post by EarthNeronga »

Farewell Jiron Dan you may rest in peace and return to the land of light
Showa Goji best Godzilla

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Just finished Episode 32. Mostly liking it, so far. Though there are some moments where it gets kinda iffy.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

Gonna try to finish this series this summer. I finished the Terochilus double-header last weekend. Wasn't the biggest fan actually, though the monster was cool.
Resized Image

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Finished the series. Overall, it was really good.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah the last few episodes were a bit weaker but I enjoyed the final episode. It is pretty cool this fear of Zetton even if the costume is a bit weaker. I remember pledging the Five Ultra Oaths when I learned Jiro Dan passed away.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I just watched The Monster Channel and Leave This Monster To Me. Beakon was a cool, distinctive kaiju. Memorable appearance and abilities, unique way of moving, and a great final battle. Definitely a standout.

The plastic monster from the next episode was a little more ho-hum, but his webbing spray stood out for the Ultra series and catching missiles out of the air is different. The episode itself came out a few months after Godzilla vs. Hedorah, and also features an anti-pollution message. That can't be a coincidence. The landfill with its clouds of plastic blowing everywhere made a very cool setting for the final battle.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Kaijuking101
Gotengo Officer

Post by Kaijuking101 »

Just started the series, got up to the Terochilus double parter’s first episode. Has some pretty strong episodes (Twin Tail and Gudon, Seamons and Seagorath, Shugaron, Poison Gas Monster episode), and the only weak/unenjoyable episode so far is the Terochilus one. I am taking a break from the series for a bit (binging Dr Who instead since I’m having Tokusatsu burnout from watching too much) but I do plan on completing it sometime within this year (hopefully) or by spring of next year (latest target).
Ultraman Dyna wrote: “Nobody knows your future. Do you know why? That's because the future is for you to make”
Kenzaki Kazuma wrote: "I will fight fate...and win."

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm up to the episode with the killer space beetle attracted to Greek lipstick. It was good and I'm still enjoying this series, but there are a lot of episodes to go and I want to start Ultraman Ace soon. I'm thinking about just skipping through the high points from here on. I can always come back and watch the rest later.

What episodes in the show's second half are must-watch? I'm looking for appearances by other Ultras, particularly interesting/popular monsters, or just especially solid episodes in general.

GoKelley86
Samurai

Post by GoKelley86 »

I recently watched the series based on recommendations I received and I'm glad I did.

It is very enjoyable and represents the best of tokusatsu television. This show has some of the coolest and weirdest monsters I've ever seen in any of these shows, including Bemstar, Builgamo, Draculas, and my personal favorite, Kingstron.

It was delightful pretty much all the way through. I wish we had gotten at least one scene where Ultraman I, II, and UltraSeven all teamed up against monsters, but getting those crossovers was still fun anyway.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I watched Go to Hell With This Blow. Another top notch episode! Finally, a kaiju story that makes use of some of those gigantic Buddhist statues scattered around Japan. Kanon-ji and its three Kannon statues made a really cool setting for the episode. The random asshole dragon with buzzsaw hands is a standout. And the kickboxer's story was a lot of fun. He's one of the best Ultra side characters so far.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

In Between Devil and Angel... was another good episode presenting a complex moral situation. Ibuki taking responsibility and going after Teruo was an important scene for him because he hasn't been very effective as a captain up until now. The horror elements of the final showdown were pretty great for this show, as Ibuki takes the chance of trusting Go, follows this kid into the hospital mortuary, and shoots him in the fucking throat. Then there's this long, tense, graphic moment as Teruo staggers toward Ibuki with blood gushing out of his neck and then finally dies... revealing that yes, he was an alien. Cool stuff.