Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2023)

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Re: Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2023)

Post by king_ghidorah »

It's a shame....the designs themselves and even the story all seem pretty compelling.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Even a lot of the animators don't like the 3D CG art. The Toei team was pretty upset when they learned Dragonball Super: Super Hero was gonna be CG animated.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I stated this before, but remember that animation will most likely look better by the time of final release.

One thing I really need to see though, is like a 1 minute continue clip of animation, preferably of monsters fighting. We’ll quickly know if it’s a stilted janky mess, or where all the budget went.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I didn’t even think it looked THAT bad outside of a few human character models.

I love the monster designs so I’m here for it at the moment.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

king_ghidorah wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:07 pmI love the monster designs so I’m here for it at the moment.
Me too.

It's still bizarre to me how this year we will still get a new Godzilla film, and possibly the MV Apple+TV Show. This was an unexpected surprise, but the more I see about it, particularly the monsters, the more excited I get.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

Anguirus wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:16 am I suppose this has a lower budget than the recent Godzilla/Pacific Rim anime/cartoons? That would make sense I suppose, given Gamera's long absence.
I don't mind given the long tradition for Gamera media to have lower budgets than Godzilla media. It feels appropriate.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

What news could we be getting next?

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:13 am What news could we be getting next?
Only things we are missing now are the start date and the last three monsters, so probably that.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Keep in mind Dragon Ball Superhero ended up looking really good. Also, if its fun enough people might forgive it (like they did with DBSH) some.

As of now, I really wanna watch. Animation looks janky, but I like the art style being used for the world and the monsters specifically.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

What are we thinking for the release date at this point?

The last wave of figures is currently slated for release in August, so I'm thinking maybe around there. The lack of date reveal in the trailer suggests it'll probably be a little while.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

king_ghidorah wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:52 am Japan twitter isn’t being too kind to the trailer from what I’ve seen. People seem to like the designs but not the animation quality.
Meh, looks fine to me. Judging from what I've seen of stills and the trailer, I'll take the supposedly "shoddy" animation ( :roll: God I loathe fans of this genre sometimes, both here and in Japan) over the absolute utter crap Godzilla fans have received with G: SP or the Animated trilogy excrement. At least Gamera and co. actually look like....*gasp!* Gamera and co. :shock: :idea: Wow, what a concept! None of this "let's make Gamera a tree the size of a mountain and make Legion a city!" or "Instead of bringing Jiger back, let's just combine Jiger with Gyaos and call him "Shit-agon!" bullshit.

Would be nice if TOHO was actually paying attention and taking notes (but I doubt it)...
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Hahhahaha. Very true. People just love to shit on Gamera it seems. Oh well. As a life long Gamera fan, I like what we’ve seen and I’ll pick up every piece of merch to support this unless it’s an absolute turd of a show like the examples you highlighted

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:19 am
king_ghidorah wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:52 am Japan twitter isn’t being too kind to the trailer from what I’ve seen. People seem to like the designs but not the animation quality.
Meh, looks fine to me. Judging from what I've seen of stills and the trailer, I'll take the supposedly "shoddy" animation ( :roll: God I loathe fans of this genre sometimes, both here and in Japan)
God forbid people have different opinions, amirite? :roll:

For the record, I can easily look past the ugly animation style. Said it before, but I'm absolutely here for everything else this series is offering, especially the monster designs, action, and few story details we've already received. Its just so great to have the lean green turtle machine back after being MIA for nearly two decades.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Honestly, I think maybe other than a clip, and another monster or two, they don’t need to show any more/build anymore hype. Release a monster portrait a month, and release a second trailer in May, and then start releasing in June. Assuming they release it weekly, and don’t just drop it all at once, that’s 6 weeks.

God I hope it’s a weekly thing. While some might prefer to binge it, I think it’ll be fun to watch episode by episode and discuss every week.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:49 am Honestly, I think maybe other than a clip, and another monster or two, they don’t need to show any more/build anymore hype. Release a monster portrait a month, and release a second trailer in May, and then start releasing in June. Assuming they release it weekly, and don’t just drop it all at once, that’s 6 weeks.

God I hope it’s a weekly thing. While some might prefer to binge it, I think it’ll be fun to watch episode by episode and discuss every week.
Does Netflix even do serialized releases? I thought they only ever did the "dump it all at once" method for everything.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

If it’s Netflix 99% chance it’s all going to hit at once

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

Shenanigans wrote:
Does Netflix even do serialized releases? I thought they only ever did the "dump it all at once" method for everything.
Singular Point did. But that was because it was also aired on TV.
Loganrules115 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:22 pm I don't mind given the long tradition for Gamera media to have lower budgets than Godzilla media. It feels appropriate.
So true LOL
Last edited by vastatosaurus on Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Anime doesn't run for 6 episodes in Japan if its on TV. Several possibilities. Either this is 12 episodes, split between "two seasons" and it will air in Japan after its run on Netflix, or the opposite; it airs in the US after Japan's run. Most likely scenario? It really is just 6 episodes and a worldwide release within the next few months. Bandai's releasing toys by then.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

StardustGenius wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:04 am Keep in mind Dragon Ball Superhero ended up looking really good. Also, if its fun enough people might forgive it (like they did with DBSH) some.

As of now, I really wanna watch. Animation looks janky, but I like the art style being used for the world and the monsters specifically.
Super Hero also had an unexpected delay that gave the staff an extra 2-3 months though that is important to remember.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

That is true, though keep in mind part of it is because Toei got hacked last year and several of their shows and movies had to be delayed as a result.