Boutique Blu-ray

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Re: Boutique Blu-ray

Post by MaxRebo320 »

^ Somehow missed that announcement! Really excited for those!

Film Movement has announced BDs of three Hideo Gosha films; Samurai Wolf 1 & 2 (with Isao Natsuyagi) and Violent Streets (with the regular Toei Yakuza gang). I haven't seen any of these movies, but I've quite enjoyed the other Gosha films I have seen, so I'll probably pick these up at some point (though I'll probably wait for a sale).

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=32339

Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ The samurai/chanbara genre is one where I tend to like most I see, so I'm definitely up for that double feature!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

We're finally getting a successor to previous Looney Tunes sets: Looney Tunes Collectors Choice vol. 1 is coming soon from Warner Archive. According to Jerry Beck, it'll be 20 new-to-Blu cartoons (some that weren't even released on DVD) and further volumes depend on this success of this one.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Severin Films has announced a release of Toei's Bakeneko: A Vengeful Spirit (1968), directed by Yoshihiro Ishikawa and starring Ryohei Uchida (also featuring Bunta Sugawara in a supporting role). Have not seen this one, so I'm pretty excited.

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=32337

It's been a pretty good time for Toei horror films, with the recent Blus of House of Terrors/Ghost of the Hunchback and A Haunted Turkish Bathhouse. Really hope Shunya Ito's Curse of the Dog God gets a release soon.
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Cat ghosts are some of the best ghosts, so I'm on board!
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:24 am ^ Cat ghosts are some of the best ghosts, so I'm on board!
Would also love to see Nobuo Nakagawa's Black Cat Mansion (probably the best bakeneko film) on Blu here in the US (in addition to his other criminally-underseen horror films), but who knows if that'll ever happen. Criterion released Jigoku on DVD eons ago, and have the streaming rights to it and Nakagawa's Ghost of Yotsuya. A Nakagawa Eclipse Set would have been awesome, back when those were a thing.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Toru Murakawa's "Game Trilogy" starring Yusaku Matsuda are headed to Blu from Arrow in June. I haven't seen any of these (though I have seen Murakawa's Resurrection of Golden Wolf, also starring Matsuda...which isn't great IMO), so I'm certainly curious to check them out. Being Kadokawa titles, hopefully this means releases of films like The Inugami Family, GI Samurai, Virus and Legend of the 8 Samurai aren't too far behind...pretty please?
Spoiler:
https://www.arrowvideo.com/blu-ray/the- ... 39100.html

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Film Masters, a new restoration and distribution company, has been launched. They're goal is to release one film a month on Blu-ray/DVD. Starting in September a double bill of The Giant Gila Monster and The Killer Shrews. They will specialize in classic and cult films.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/film ... 57129/amp/
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Awesome! I tried to watch The Giant Gila Monster on Amazon Prime a few years ago, but the godawful picture and sound chased me away after a few minutes. I'd love to see it as it was meant to be seen. And I've never seen The Killer Shrews at all.

The Beast From Haunted Cove is their next release. Another one I haven't seen!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Arrow is releasing Ringu in 4K.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Vinegar Syndrome, the absolute madmen that they are, stealth dropped a 4K UHD + Blu-ray release of GORGO slated for release later this month!!

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/collections ... ucts/gorgo

This special limited edition 2-disc 4K UHD/Blu-ray set comes with a spot gloss hard slipcase + slipcover combo (designed by Matt Frank) and is limited to 6,000 units. It is only available on our website and at select indie retailers. Absolutely no major retailers will be stocking them.

When an underwater volcanic eruption tears up the sea bed off the coast of Ireland, two treasure hunters make the discovery of a lifetime when they encounter a gigantic prehistoric monster that’s been unleashed from the earth’s crust. After capturing the beast, the pair transport the creature down to London where it’s given the name of “Gorgo” and put on display to an avid public. Little do they realize that Gorgo is just an infant, and that his exponentially larger mother is about to emerge from the depths to avenge the capture of her offspring. As Gorgo’s mother begins her advance on the British capital, not even the considerable might of Her Majesty’s Armed Forces can stop her colossal devastation!

An international co-production between the United Kingdom, United States, and Ireland, visual effects pioneer Eugène Lourié’s (The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, The Giant Behemoth) GORGO - often referred to as the “British Godzilla” - was one of the first, and arguably one of the best, giant monster films to follow in the wake of Japan’s sci-fi landmark. Between its astonishing, special effects-laden climax, which sees Gorgo’s mother wreak fiery destruction on the streets of Central London, and its unique and unusual ending, GORGO quickly solidified its place in the sci-fi canon, spawning numerous comic book adaptations and spin-offs which further expanded the “Gorgoverse”. Now, newly restored in 4K from its untouched-for-decades original camera negative by the monster maniacs at Vinegar Syndrome, GORGO bursts up from the depths in its worldwide UHD debut, loaded with a fittingly gargantuan array of extras, both old and new.

directed by: Eugène Lourié
starring: Bill Travers, William Sylvester, Vincent Winter, Christopher Rhodes, Joseph O'Conor
1961 / 77 min / 1.85:1 / English Mono

Additional info:

2-disc Region Free Set: 4K Ultra HD / Blu-ray
4K UHD presented in High-Dynamic-Range
Newly scanned & restored in 4K from its 35mm original camera negative
Sound options: original English mono soundtrack, a brand new commentary track with film historian and cartoonist Stephen R. Bissette and an isolated music & effects track
"Gorgo Lives!" - film historian and cartoonist Stephen R. Bissette on the legacy of Gorgo
"The 9th Wonder of the World: The Making of Gorgo" - an archival making-of documentary (extended version)
"Gorgo: Behind the Scenes" - archival making-of featurette
"Waiting for Gorgo" - a short film from 2009, directed by Benjamin Craig
Behind-the-scenes featurette from “Waiting for Gorgo”
Original theatrical trailer
Promotional image gallery
Original production notes - video gallery
Lobby cards & posters - video gallery
Pressbook - video gallery
Photos - video gallery
Gorgo: The Monster from the Sea - video comic book
Reversible cover artwork
English SDH subtitles
Absolute dream release. Holy shit. The maniacs. Instantly pre-ordered.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Wow! Not an enormous Gorgo fan, have the previous (not terribly good picture quality) blu-ray... but this package is hard to resist!

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

So is it only the slipcase version limited to 6000 copies? The site has both limited edition slipcase and standard edition options available to order. Will the contents be the same between the two?

Added in 8 minutes 57 seconds:
Ah to heck with it. Ordered the limited edition. I’ve missed out on too many genre/boutique releases over the years.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Trying to decide if I need this...
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Angilasman wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:48 am Wow! Not an enormous Gorgo fan, have the previous (not terribly good picture quality) blu-ray... but this package is hard to resist!
Is the featurette "Ninth Wonder of the World: The Making of Gorgo" the same length on both this Blu-ray and the earlier VCI Blu-ray (the latter's the one I have and it's copyrighted 2014); namely, 31 minutes?
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ I think so. 'Archival' indicates a previously available extra.
Last edited by Angilasman on Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Looks like a nice release, but I'll be passing. I have the old Blu-ray (still need to actually watch it...) and way too many other disks to spend the money on.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Just fyi, the old VCI Blu ray is pretty terrible. I don’t know what film materials they used for that transfer but they were obviously in pretty bad shape. This new release is a new restoration from the original negative and looks dramatically better from what we’ve been shown.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

canofhumdingers wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:32 am Just fyi, the old VCI Blu ray is pretty terrible. I don’t know what film materials they used for that transfer but they were obviously in pretty bad shape. This new release is a new restoration from the original negative and looks dramatically better from what we’ve been shown.
I'm sure. Eh, it's going to be one of those things where I'll buy it if it hangs around, but I'm not concerned enough to rush out and grab it right away. I'm prioritizing Shin Ultraman and Invaders From Mars this month, and there are dozens of other releases I'd rather pick up before I upgrade a movie I already own in some form.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

canofhumdingers wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:32 am Just fyi, the old VCI Blu ray is pretty terrible. I don’t know what film materials they used for that transfer but they were obviously in pretty bad shape. This new release is a new restoration from the original negative and looks dramatically better from what we’ve been shown.
Then I guess I'll probably get this one on eBay, not only because of this, but also because of Waiting for Gorgo (which I've seen on Wikizilla). VCI asked its dircctor, Benjamin Craig, if they could include it as a special feature on their home video release, but he turned them down. I guess he learned his lesson this time around.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.