Law & Order: Kaiju Unit - Or The Thread for Legal Stuff in Kaiju Media

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Re: Law & Order: Kaiju Unit - Or The Thread for Legal Stuff in Kaiju Media

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

shadowgigan wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:12 pm
edgaguirus wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:27 pm For the Millenium era, there's the DT. The Outer Space Treaty forbids weapons of mass destruction in Earth orbit. While this law was mainly drawn up to protect against nuclear arms, a weapon that can shoot a small black hole to any point on the surface raises just as much concern.
To expand on this, I think the satellite mounted nukes in G84 would also violate the treaty.
Yeah, IIRC, the US actually launched their missile from the ground while the USSR's was (accidently) fired from space. Maybe in the Heisei universe, this turn of events is what really upends and brings the Cold War and the Soviet Union itself to an end.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

If nothing else, it would hurt the USSR's relations with Japan.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

I'm guessing the series of international incidents that took place in Biollante is low hanging fruit? :lol:
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

edgaguirus wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:45 pm If nothing else, it would hurt the USSR's relations with Japan.
Well, it would probably call into question the Outer Space treaty, among other things. It would almost certainly be prima facie evidence of the USSR's violation. In the American version, the USSR's actions could be interpreted as an act of war.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

NSZ wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:27 am I'm guessing the series of international incidents that took place in Biollante is low hanging fruit? :lol:
Threatening to release a giant monster from a volcano to blackmail a country into handing over top-secret materials is certainly not low hanging fruit. SSS9 has major balls for that plot and makes Namikawa look like a saint.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

edgaguirus wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:33 pm
NSZ wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:27 am I'm guessing the series of international incidents that took place in Biollante is low hanging fruit? :lol:
Threatening to release a giant monster from a volcano to blackmail a country into handing over top-secret materials is certainly not low hanging fruit. SSS9 has major balls for that plot and makes Namikawa look like a saint.
Wasn't that Saradian agent acting in his role as an official state agent? That would likely violate international law.

I assume the US and Japan would set up some sort of task force to deal with Bio-Major.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I haven't seen vs Biollante recently, so I don't know. Well, now I have an excuse to watch vs Biollante.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Yeah, Bio-Major were the ones who detonated Mt. Mihara, SSS9 stole the ANEB in the attempted hand-off... Aaaaand also assassinated Dr. Shiragami under direct orders from Saradia.

And let's not forget the shoot-out at the start of the movie that left many JSDF members dead at the hands of three armed Americans. I can only imagine the political shitstorm that erupted from that.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

There's no way Mr. Tako wasn't sued into oblivion following the events of KKVG, quite possibly putting Pacific Pharmaceuticals out of business.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:53 pm There's no way Mr. Tako wasn't sued into oblivion following the events of KKVG, quite possibly putting Pacific Pharmaceuticals out of business.
Illegal trafficking of wildlife, public endangerment, mistreatment of company workers, infrastructural casualties on a city scale, plummeting stocks….yeah. No way in hell Pacific Pharma survived this movie.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

Dv-218 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:14 pm
MaxRebo320 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:53 pm There's no way Mr. Tako wasn't sued into oblivion following the events of KKVG, quite possibly putting Pacific Pharmaceuticals out of business.
Illegal trafficking of wildlife, public endangerment, mistreatment of company workers, infrastructural casualties on a city scale, plummeting stocks….yeah. No way in hell Pacific Pharma survived this movie.
I’m amazed that the JSDF didn’t arrest everyone on the ship after King Kong broke free from the raft. Talk about getting caught red-handed!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Going into non-Godzilla movie territory, we gonna talk about Dr. Malic from Latitude Zero? This guy is like Frankenstein on crack!

I mean, attempted world domination, multiple attempts of murder, has used multiple unwilling humans and turned them into man/bat hybrid freaks, plus what he did to Kroiga in the creation of Black Moth. (Which she was AWARE OF) Oh, and animal cruelty. That poor lion.

If he didn't already die at the end of the movie, he was probably gonna score the death penalty anyway.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

What's the current status on Japan's nuclear policy; i.e.:

*they won't make nuclear weapons,
*they won't possess nuclear weapons,
*they won't allow nuclear weapons to be imported into their country,
*they won't allow other nations to use nuclear weapons on their behalf.

At least I think that's what it is. It was definitely a major plot point in The Return of Godzilla a.k.a. Godzilla 1985.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Interpol would've had a field day with Dr. Malic. His human subjects are a huge violation of human rights laws.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

mikelcho wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:56 pm What's the current status on Japan's nuclear policy; i.e.:

*they won't make nuclear weapons,
*they won't possess nuclear weapons,
*they won't allow nuclear weapons to be imported into their country,
*they won't allow other nations to use nuclear weapons on their behalf.

At least I think that's what it is. It was definitely a major plot point in The Return of Godzilla a.k.a. Godzilla 1985.
All of this is true however...

lol considering the political situation within Japan, and their foreign policy situation, they might just consider rethinking it.

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

Mr tako is 100% going to jail

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

In G vs TSM, we assume that the bank robber returned to Japan, but Mothra would have flown to Infant Island first. Knowing he's facing a charge of theft, could he claim sanctuary on the island? It all depends on if Japan and the island have an extradition agreement, but imo the natives don't have that much interest in such political treaties. They're friendly to people, even those that nuked their land, but I doubt they want that close a political alliance with the outside world.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

edgaguirus wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:03 pm In G vs TSM, we assume that the bank robber returned to Japan, but Mothra would have flown to Infant Island first. Knowing he's facing a charge of theft, could he claim sanctuary on the island?
I think you mean asylum, and in most countries you can only receive asylum when you have suffered persecution or fear that you will suffer persecution due to race, religion, nationality, social group, or political opinion. Criminal prosecution is not persecution.

Added in 5 minutes 1 second:
It all depends on if Japan and the island have an extradition agreement, but imo the natives don't have that much interest in such political treaties. They're friendly to people, even those that nuked their land, but I doubt they want that close a political alliance with the outside world.
That’s correct. Without an extradition treaty, Japan can’t compel the Infant Islanders to return him – assuming that Infant Island is a nation and not a territory of Japan.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

From what information I can find, Infant Island is part of Indonesia.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Dr. Shiragami is one people have brought up, but I think his violation of moral and ethical lines are more egregious. I understand that grief can drive someone to do bad things, but defiling the remains of your dead daughter and splicing her cells with plant and Godzilla DNA in a desperate attempt to keep her alive borders on being a crime against humanity, especially since it's implied that Erika is fully aware of her situation and is suffering inside Biollante. He may have had noble intentions in his mind, but simply letting her die would have been better instead of the existential hell he made her endure.

Also BioMajor would face a shitton of legal ramifications, including terrorism for bombing the lab in Saradia, threatening to release Godzilla if they didn't get the ANEB (a top secret biological weapon), and the mercs they employed at the beginning attacked and killed JSDF troops, which I think counts as destruction of government property.
Last edited by Breakdown on Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns