Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Re: Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

I think they should have put Gamera in a more action oriented pose. It's a little...static for me. It would have made up for the lack of any articulation.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Loving the colors on display here.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

What is with Bandai putting those gigantic seams across the neck/shoulders area? First Final Wars Hedorah, now Rebirth Gamera? They never used to do this before, at least not that I can recall. Have they forgotten how to toy??
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

While there’s still no excuses, I’m hoping it’s like GFW Hedorah’s seam, where generally the seam isn’t noticeable from most angles. I recall everyone (myself included) not liking the promotional shots of that Hedorah, particularly the seam, and the final figure being quite nice.

Jiger looks good.

Also, I know this has been memed to death, but seriously, how can they make such a good Gyaos figure like that, and fuck up the KOTM Rodan?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I'm going to guess that no one at Bandai cared because it was based on an American film.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Added in 2 minutes 6 seconds:
TitanoGoji16 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:54 pm What is with Bandai putting those gigantic seams across the neck/shoulders area? First Final Wars Hedorah, now Rebirth Gamera? They never used to do this before, at least not that I can recall. Have they forgotten how to toy??
The recent MMS Gamera ‘95 and ‘96 also have the same kind of seam (I don’t have the ‘99)
Last edited by canofhumdingers on Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

If I had to guess, the seams are a cost cutting measure, which I think explains most of these bandai issues, although it might not be apparent to us. It might be easier to make different smaller parts, then one colossal body section including the head. There might be some thing where because of the dimensions of the entiure figure, it's easier to do it that way. Doesn't really excuse the amount of seams though, and there's definitely been figures like GFW Manda that did not need it...
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

What’s the best Gamera of the recent run do you guys think? I don’t have the 96 yet but to me it looks like it’s the best

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

king_ghidorah wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:41 pm What’s the best Gamera of the recent run do you guys think? I don’t have the 96 yet but to me it looks like it’s the best
Oof, that's a difficult question.

If you're reffering to exclusively Gamera, I'd say 95 or 96 is a toss up. The issue is I prefer the 95 design, so I give it to that. The teeth/tusks just look so great. If we talk villains, I'd say Iris wins easily. It's such a complex and detailed figure, with a great paint job. However, Legion is a huge figure that doesn't feel like it should exist, and deserves massive bonus points for being a monster that is relatively hard to capture in vinyl form, compared to other bidepal/humanoid monsters. Super Gyaos is the weakest Gamera figure. The paint is the weakest. However, in it's defense, it's also the cheapest, and it still doesn't even look that bad.

Overall, the recent wave of Gamera figures has been much more consistently better than the Godzilla releases. Even the upcoming Gamera Rebirthfigures continue this trend of being good.

It's funny recalling the 1995 Gamera being released a couple years back, and people being surprised by it's quality, and how it seemingly randomly appeared out of nowehre. Then we got Gamera Gashapons, and Legion, before getting Iris. It's clear that all the Gamera figures recently are sort of a "jumpstart" into the Gamera Rebirth stuff. Bandai/whoever is making Rebirth, very clearly wanted to establish modern Gamera vinyl figures before building up and releasing the new line. I'm still really looking forward to those Showa Gyaos and Gamera figures that will release alongside. I've been collecting all the old Bandais, but they're hard to find in good condition. I have Viras and Jiger in really good condition, with Gamera and Zigra being a bit bent, but still having tags. Gyaos and Barugon are scratched and missing some paint, but I got them for cheap. Guiron remains out of my grasp.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Great write up! So the 99 Gamera isn’t a big fan favorite then it seems?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I gotta say, I can not wait for classic Gamera and Gyaos. It will be interesting to see where they go with the Gamera, as the original 90s figure wasn't that great, while the 1999 MB figure, while much better, was somewhat lacking in the head sculpt.

But don't let me down on that Gyaos, Bandai. I'm warning you.

This is going to be an unbelievably shameless plug, but if anyone is interested in joining my FB page "The Godzilla Collectors Group" I've been doing daily spotlight posts of the 90s Godzilla and Gamera Bandais, with analysis, photos and personal history.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

king_ghidorah wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:04 pm Great write up! So the 99 Gamera isn’t a big fan favorite then it seems?
Gamera 1999's design works well for the context of the film it's in. It's a meaner, more monstorous Gamera that doesn't seem to have any regard for humanity. Outside of the film, it's honestly one of my least favorite Gamera designs because it's so different. The figure itself is pretty good I'd say, minus the lack of articulation. I have the old "fire hand variant" and I sort of wish they'd modernize/redo that figure too.

And yes Legion, I'll consider taking a look at your write-ups and memories on that group.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

canofhumdingers wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:31 pm Ebirah and Legion Soldier went to my HLJ private warehouse last night. Still waiting for Baragon and a couple other things to show up in the next few weeks before shipping.

One item I’m waiting on is a restock of MMS Legion mother. Really hope it arrives before my first items have to ship in about 30 more days.
Please note that HLJ may show a timer though items don't necessarily have to be shipped out til then or will be shipped automatically as they used to. During Corona they stopped with that.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:42 pm
king_ghidorah wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:04 pm Great write up! So the 99 Gamera isn’t a big fan favorite then it seems?
Gamera 1999's design works well for the context of the film it's in. It's a meaner, more monstorous Gamera that doesn't seem to have any regard for humanity. Outside of the film, it's honestly one of my least favorite Gamera designs because it's so different. The figure itself is pretty good I'd say, minus the lack of articulation. I have the old "fire hand variant" and I sort of wish they'd modernize/redo that figure too.

And yes Legion, I'll consider taking a look at your write-ups and memories on that group.
I get that. I used to feel that way about Gamera 99 but it’s become my favorite version of the character. He’s monstrous, borderline evil looking but he still has a heart of gold. Willing to blow his own arm off to save a young girl who wants nothing more than to kill him.

I like that dichotomy of something ugly being something kind and benevolent…very Miyazakian to me.

That being said, I think the anime Gamera really kind of nails the dark and scary aspect of the character (65-66) with the kinder, friend of all children that he eventually became known for. He looks menacing but he’s got this big, puppy dog kind of eyes. I really dig it.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

I like the ‘99 Gamera and I think it kind of solidified the character in some regard; sort of like how the Heisei Godzilla is what Toho uses, I feel like I see the 90s Gamera on a lot of the marketing material, pachinko games, etc.

One thing I’ve noticed is that the shell got progressively larger following the Heisei era. The Showa Gamera had a flatter shell almost like that of a slider, but now we’ve got these massive tortoise shell designs. I like both, but I often wonder if the flatter Gamera will ever make a return.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Oh man, I really love the bulky shell.

I do echo what Legion said in that I can’t wait to see the new Bandai Showa Gamera and Gyaos. While I love the 99 design, I also adore the Showa era look.

I’d like to see basically a modified Showa design for the next live action film if we ever get one. Basically the Showa design with more mass and weight.

Right now though, I’m very happy with the different designs we have gotten for the character…albeit I’m not very keen on the Brave/Toto.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

I think Toto looked good but it had a weak Movie Monster Series vinyl (the head at least). I’m still hoping for a new Toto and Zedus but it looks like it will be awhile before Bandai decides to do them, if ever. I wouldn’t rule it out though.

I also love the Showa Gamera design, and wouldn’t mind a revamp of that in future media. I’m such a sucker for the Masao Yagi designs (Gamera, Gyaos, Yongary, etc). The light up eyes, hanging jaws and polished teeth are a staple. I think the Sega Crane Game figures really captured these looks but I’d love to see Bandai one-up them.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I'm doing for a revival of Showa Gamera in some media.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

canofhumdingers wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:59 pm
TitanoGoji16 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:54 pm What is with Bandai putting those gigantic seams across the neck/shoulders area? First Final Wars Hedorah, now Rebirth Gamera? They never used to do this before, at least not that I can recall. Have they forgotten how to toy??
The recent MMS Gamera ‘95 and ‘96 also have the same kind of seam (I don’t have the ‘99)
True, but at least they attempted to hide it better along the folds of Gamera's neck and the ridges in the shell. Granted, their designs makes it easier to hide than on this new design, but I feel like just a little bit of effort could've made it look better than the final look they went with. Just feels sloppy to cut so cleanly across the body and shell like that, but it may not be as visible on the actual figure like Hedorah.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Has anyone besides me preordered the Rebirth figures? The Gamera may not be the best looking figure ever but I like the design and the chonk of him.