The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

Post by JAGzilla »

Die Hard, for the first time. Yeah, the number of basic, obligatory movies I haven't seen is scary. Anyway, really good! Bruce Willis is great, obviously, and this was the first time I've seen Alan Rickman play anyone other than Professor Snape. I was never completely sold on him as Snape, but he nailed this role. The action was kickass, lots of cool sequences involving elevator shafts and jumping/falling off of stuff. The explosions deserve a better sound system than mine. It's one of those movies that can go stupidly over-the-top and get away with it. You don't quite believe everything, but it's close enough. Jan de Bont's cinematography surprised me; I wasn't expecting the movie to look as nice as it does, but it really does a lot of the time. Lots of all-time great one-liners and just decent humor overall. One of my new favorites.

And yeah, I'd say it's a Christmas movie. It doesn't have to be, exactly; it's not Christmas Vacation or A Christmas Story, where you'd feel weird watching it any other time of year, but it totally can be, if you want it to.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Mrs. Doubtfire. Kind of an impulse watch; it's never really been on my radar, but I saw it on Amazon video, decided to give it a shot, and that ended up being a good call. It's very much a movie of its time, for better and for worse. For better in that it's just a very comfy, nostalgic kind of movie for a '90s kid. I never saw it as a kid, but it looks and feels and sounds like a ton of movies that I did know and love, so it took me back anyway. For worse in that, y'know, it isn't exactly up to code nowadays.

But Robin Williams was top-tier, and the comedy just had me laughing the whole time. It was appropriately heartfelt and sincere, too, with a good balance between funny and serious. It had a little bit of a sloppy script, maybe, but it all worked out pretty satisfyingly. Good movie.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:04 am Die Hard, for the first time. Yeah, the number of basic, obligatory movies I haven't seen is scary.

And yeah, I'd say it's a Christmas movie. It doesn't have to be, exactly; it's not Christmas Vacation or A Christmas Story, where you'd feel weird watching it any other time of year, but it totally can be, if you want it to.
Wow, I can't imagine growing up without Die Hard but I'm glad you liked it! To be fair, there are lots of obligatory movie I haven't seen either. In my opinion, Die Hard is absolutely a Christmas movie and I watch it on Christmas Eve every year.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:04 am Die Hard, for the first time. Yeah, the number of basic, obligatory movies I haven't seen is scary.
To put the film in context, prior to its release action movies featured heavily-muscled men who rushed into battle with an arsenal of weapons and were nearly invulnerable. Die Hard flipped the script. Bruce Willis was not built like an action hero. His impulse was to flee from the bad guys and find a safe place to hide until the police arrived. And he got beaten and bloodied throughout the film. That kind of hero is more common now but Die Hard paved the way.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The first 3 Die Hard movies are real good. Die Hard 2 I find the weakest of the 3 but it's got some great moments. Personally I love the 3rd one. There's some great chemistry between Bruce Willis and Sam Jackson. 4 and 5 watch at your own risk. They're not awful but they aren't that great either. Vengeance is a more than satisfying conclusion if you want to stop there.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

Just watched Ultraman Ace episode 7 + 8 and gotta say that two-parter was glorious. Ngl, I do enjoy the classic Ultra seasons but they are aside of being very repetitive they also suffer a little of barely having any real characters in it. But the tragedy of Yamanaka and his spouse was great. You could actually understand Yamanakas motive of being aggressive towards Hokuto.
And seeing the infamous scene of Doragory ripping apart Muruchi was breath-taking. Have seen it once before on YouTube but seeing it in the actual episode (even noticed there is gushing blood shooting out of Muruchis neck) is something entirely else. Story- and visual-wise for sure two of the darkest episodes I have seen so far.
The story with the comet about to hit Earth reminded me of Gorath, which is funny, considering I rewatched GFW a few days ago.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

SpiderZilla wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:19 pm
To put the film in context, prior to its release action movies featured heavily-muscled men who rushed into battle with an arsenal of weapons and were nearly invulnerable. Die Hard flipped the script. Bruce Willis was not built like an action hero. His impulse was to flee from the bad guys and find a safe place to hide until the police arrived. And he got beaten and bloodied throughout the film. That kind of hero is more common now but Die Hard paved the way.
Interesting. I don't have a lot of experience with this kind of action movie, but yeah, that definitely sounds like the Arnold Schwarzenegger movies I've seen. Bruce Willis was a relatively realistic hero who played things cautiously and felt like he was in legitimate danger the whole time. He had to get by on brains and luck as much as anything.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Started rewatching 24 for nostalgia. Man I forgot how good this show was. Even though I already know all the twists it's still fun to watch.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Carrerasaurus
Yojimbo

Post by Carrerasaurus »

I've just finished The Wraith (1986). It's a ghost car film, so that's already enough to make me interested. I found it pretty alright, but I don't think it does enough to stand out. It reminds me a lot of Stephen King's Christine in a lot of things it does, but it was enjoyable regardless. I'd be lying if I said I didn't like it.
Also, Turbo Interceptor. What a name for a car. Makes sense, considering how that thing kills its victims.

MogeGoji1994
Monarch Researcher

Post by MogeGoji1994 »

Been really enjoying The Bad Batch. It's a welcome respite from TLoU and its scratching my Clone Wars/Star Wars itch. The two most recent episodes in particular were great
Resized Image
You want S.T.A.R.S? I'll give you S.T.A.R.S!
7 minutes. 7 minutes is all I can spare to play with you

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

The Vampire Diaries. Still on season 1. First 7 something episodes were interesting enough but after that it got less easy to stay invested in. Lots of meh drama. The latest episode I saw was cooler than some previous had been though.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I've been watching Poker Face with my wife. It's a quirky "dishelved person solves seemingly perfect crimes week after week" akin to shows like Columbo. The inspiration is obvious, but it all clicks together so nicely. We've loved everything we've seen so far (episodes 1-3). The humor is great, the characters of the week are fun too. I love it. Another win for Rian Johnson.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

Just rewatched Scream on Sunday after watching it for the first time a few weeks ago. Gotta say it's my absolute favorite slasher movie. So many of these are rather repetitive and generic so seeing one that actually mocks this type of movie, while still having a rather serious story overall and a killer that can be warded of are absolute genius. Also love the Scooby-Doo reveals at the end. Though I honestly gotta say, part 2 and 3 of the series are rather weak and their reveals are way too cartoony. Revealing out of nowhere
Spoiler:
in part 2 that the report lady is Billys mom and in part 3 that Roman is Sidneys brother
is just lazy and surely dumbed those two down.

Though I'm a big fan of part 4 and 5 which had more of the spirit of the first movie. Looking forward to seeing part Screa|VI with my GF next week.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

I went to Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania yesterday and can confirm it is the latest dud from Marvel and it's also the one that finally killed my interest in this franchise; I already gave up on their shows a long time ago. From now on, I'm only going to a Marvel movie if I'm really interested instead of just going because it's Marvel. Guradians Vol. 3 looks bad and I don't give a shit about The Marvels so I'm only going if they get really good reviews or I see a cool trailer that changes my mind.

But as to Quantumania, you know it's bad when they're cracking joke after joke and no one in the theater is laughing; not even the middle/high schoolers sitting behind me, who are usually easy targets. Beyond the usual cringe humor, which was as bad here as in Love and Thunder, the effects were hit and miss, most of the characters were given nothing to do, and Scott Lang, who's supposed to be our protagonist, has no arc. Oh, and MODOK is hands-down the stupidest character ever in a Marvel movie, brought to life by some atrocious CGI. Kang was pretty much the only redeeming quality.
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Saw Operation Fortune. It was a fun! It never stopped being entertaining so I must say that is an accomplishment. It has a really strong cast too, I recommend it.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Rewatched True Detective season 1 last week. Unsurpassed. (Though a few shows rival it)
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Finally got around to watching CopShop. From the mind behind the Smoking Aces films stars Frank Grillo as a down on his luck con man who seeks refuge in a police station to escape his pursuers, but the hitman who is after him (Gerard Butler) has the same idea. Unfortunately it's an open contract and soon the entire precinct is under siege by a sadistic psychopath (a scenery chewing Toby Huss) intent on killing them all. If you love blackly comedic super violent action pics full of offbeat characters you'll likely find enjoyment in this.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Binging John Wick in preparation for Chapter 4 tomorrow. Almost done with the original.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Finished Chapter 3. Getting ready to head to the theater to see Chapter 4.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The second half of Twilight. Wow. It was exactly what I expected, but still. I wasn't prepared for the soundtrack. The composer, whoever it was, obviously had a background in horror. They really did a great job making everything feel even weirder and more aggressively uncomfortable.