If the Heisei Era Continued, Give Jr a line-up of Opponents:

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

If the Heisei Era Continued, Give Jr a line-up of Opponents:

Post by Gojira1604 »

If Godzilla Jr had received his own series, maybe even manga, comic or animated, what Kaiju or sort of Kaiju would you have liked to see the successor battle? What adaptations of Kaiju or even original Kaiju (with brief descriptions if you please).
If I gave the new monster King as many appearances as Godzilla Sr. then:
1. King Ghidorah in 1999 continuity wise. With Mothra, Rodan & Angurius.
2. Godzilla, Biollante & Spacegodzilla 2 Vs Orga (the latter wants their DNA) or Maybe Supernuked Godzilla instead of Bio & SpaceG2
3. Berserk Mechagodzilla!
4. Godzilla Jr & Ghost Godzilla Sr. Vs Ghost Godzilla 1954 !
5. Mecha King Ghidorah 2 & Gigan
6. Bagan
7. Destoroyah

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Re: If the Heisei Era Continued, Give Jr a line-up of Opponents:

Post by JVM »

I think Godzilla 2000 and Godzilla vs Megaguirius could be rewitten to fit a Heisei continuation series easily enough.

The first thing that'd come to mind as an additional film would be Gigan and Anguirus. Both popular classic Toho characters who never made it into the Heisei era. Easy thought.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

JVM wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:08 am I think Godzilla 2000 and Godzilla vs Megaguirius could be rewitten to fit a Heisei continuation series easily enough.

The first thing that'd come to mind as an additional film would be Gigan and Anguirus. Both popular classic Toho characters who never made it into the Heisei era. Easy thought.
Oh yes, those two easily could be rewritten to fit a new Heisei series of movies. Hedorah, Gigan, Anguirus, and those unused monsters from Trading Battle could easily work. Tho, to my brain, Gigan's already appeared in a Heisei continuation and I am satisfied with it.

Dinosaur1993!
Young Farmer

Post by Dinosaur1993! »

I would have liked to see King Kong brought into the Heisei era. I know he couldn’t be due to legal reasons, but I think he could have been a great addition. Have him start out as an enemy of Godzilla Jr and then after a series of battles, he becomes an ally.

Gigan, Anguirus, Another Rodan, Mothra, Bagan, Another Ghidorah, Orga, and King Cesar would be my other choices.
Last edited by Dinosaur1993! on Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Let's say the Heisei series ran for six more films (in place of the Millennium series)
Film 1 - Orga - Why not just do Godzilla 2000 with Junior?
Film 2 - Hedorah - If any other kaiju deserved a Heisei recreation, it's Hedorah. Preferably with a new origin as a human bioweapon or something like that; feels more Heisei than being a random alien lifeform.
Film 3 - Gigan - We already kinda sorta got a Junior vs. Gigan fight in the recent short, but I think doing a proper alien invasion movie in the Heisei timeline with Gigan would be cool. Maybe even tie it into the Millennians.
Film 4 - New Mechagodzilla - Maybe a Kiryu-type Mechagodzilla made from the remains of the original Heisei Godzilla. Either that or a combiner Mechagodzilla similar to the original Heisei concept and Moguera.
Film 5 - Ghost Godzilla - Always thought this was a neat idea. Could directly tie into the prior film if New MG was made from Godzilla's bones and his spirit was unintentionally resurrected.
Film 6 - Bagan - I've never been a big Bagan fan but I know a lot of folks love him and he did fail to appear in several Heisei projects, so why not finally give him a shot in this hypothetical series?
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

A trilogy of movies, and Junior's the bad guy in all three of them. Gigan Rex and Miles are his enemies in the first. Mothra and Battra in the second. In the third, Junior is on the verge of toppling civilization with his constant rampages, so G-Force rebuilds MechaGodzilla using the bones of Heisei Godzilla and pilots it to fight Junior—only for Heisei Godzilla's spirit to wake up and possess another random monster (maybe Anguirus or Baragon) upon Mecha G being destroyed, molding said monster into the shape of Heisei Godzilla when he was alive. Both Ghost Godzilla and Junior team up and destroy civilization in a fit of rage, sending humanity into a post-apocalyptic state. Then Heisei rests in peace, and Junior returns to living in isolation while humankind is left to digest what just happened.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I don't think that fits the tone of the Heisei VS films in the slightest.

What was the tone for those movies, one may ask? "General audience holiday season movies." as the execs put it.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

StardustGenius wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:38 am I don't think that fits the tone of the Heisei VS films in the slightest.

What was the tone for those movies, one may ask? "General audience holiday season movies." as the execs put it.
Good. That means my proposed trilogy would be destoroying that formula.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I suppose! lol

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

I’m not a fan of the Heisei Era but for the sake of this thread I propose that the adopted child of Godzilla should battle the children of his dad’s biggest opponents:
  • Son of Kong. After KKvG, you pretty much have to show their kids take up the call to battle.
  • Prince Ghidorah. He’s got 3 big chips on his shoulders and killing Junior is his best shot of usurping his dad.
  • The Hedorah Twins. They’ll be unstoppable if they merge! Junior is in a race against time to prevent them from meeting as they approach Tokyo from opposite directions.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Hedorah would be the easiest one to translate, since it's already bulky by nature and prefers fighting from a distance. There was an artbook from Shinji Nishikawa, with what I believe is him showing how he'd approach a Heisei Hedorah movie.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

As far as past toho kaiju, Gigan, Megalon, Hedorah, King Caesar, Jet Jaguar, and Baragon are easy to Heisei or Kawakita redesign.
Gigan, Megalon, Hedorah, and Baragon already have a beam weapon of some sort. King Caesar's statue shoots a solar beam so just give that as a standard ability, and King Caesar's beam reflection eyes is essentially another plasma grenade/Fire mirror gimmick. Jet Jaguar is a mech, so Kawakita would have fun. Baragon, Megalon, Gigan, Hedorah, and King Caesar can easily be given thicc thighs and tails. Hedorah and Gigan have Transformations as well. And all except Baragon and KC can fly.

So all of the above have transformations, beams, mechs, stiff flying, and thickness. Doesn't that sound a lot like Koichi Kawakita 😉 ?
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Gigan, Hedorah, and maybe someone else. Maybe bring in a twist that SG wasn't the calamity Mothra went up in space to fight against, and now Mothra and Jr have to team up to stop it? Hmm, almost like Gigan Rex would work.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Already got Gigan Rex

Legendary Minya
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Minya »

I feel like it should end with Ghost Godzilla.....make it the ghost of the 54 Godzilla....which Jr is eventually able to defeat when Miki, in her final act as a psychic (remember, her powers were fading in GvD) is able to harness the lingering spiritual energy (separate from the nuclear energy that Jr absorbed when G died) of the Heisei Godzilla and infuse it into Junior, which allows him to use the red spiral ray.

Leading up to that, I'd love to see Anguirus return to be an ally (have him pop up a few times till Ghost Godzilla kills him.).
Last edited by Legendary Minya on Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"HOW DO YA LIKE THAT, WEIRDO?!!?"

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Thing is, if the Heisei series was meant to continue they wouldn't have killed Godzilla off.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

While that is true, there is evidence for a Plan B of sorts shown in the Heisei Godzilla Perfection books that show production art. My guess these were either made during the production of the Mothra movies, or planned before going with Mothra.

Onto the topic itself here, to me the vs Gigan Rex is a good enough to be a continuation to scratch that itch. Visually a Jet Jaguar redesign would be pretty nice to see in a continuation. Lean in to the Super Robot aesthetics. Maybe get Masami Obari, Masayuki Gotoh or Kunio Okuwara to really lean into that design.
Last edited by StardustGenius on Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I found Gigan Rex to be so far from the Heisei aesthetic and tone that it felt nothing like one of those moves. Putting in the Heisei continuity just seemed like desperate fan service.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I found it more satisfying than some of those movies to be honest. :lol:

Speaking of Jet Jaguar https://twitter.com/aws49T8EvYnPX7U/sta ... 9445703687 redesign straight from Masayuki Gotoh himself. Looks bulkier than I expected, but I appreciate the effort to look more robotic than the TsuPro heroes he usually works on.

Going back to a list of enemies for Jr. to fight, I could picture Hedorah being some kind of early attempt to use CGI into some of his attacks. I'll have to go find it again, but in Shinji Nishikawa's drawings he visualized it doing a lot blobby dodging and splitting.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Firstly I would have Biollante and Mothra return and maybe introduce Angurius.

Movie 1: SpaceGodzilla return, SpaceG is somehow put down for Good.

Movie 2: Keizer Ghidorah. Rodan returns or a second one is found.

Movie 3: Bagan.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image