Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Jomei
Futurian

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Jomei »

godjacob wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:32 pm When it comes to Kaiju and water I just learned long ago it's best not to ask questions lol
This is the correct disposition. It baffles me how fans of a series including movies like King Kong vs Godzilla and Godzilla vs Megalon could be scrutinizing for anatomical and physics accuracy.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

They might be having trouble finding new things to discuss.

I wonder what they say about Godzilla flying.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

edgaguirus wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:42 pm They might be having trouble finding new things to discuss.

I wonder what they say about Godzilla flying.
Honestly I think it would be so cool to see Godzilla fire his atomic breath at the ground and show him actually flying a couple hundred feet with it or something. It could look pretty real weight wise if it's animated right! I can totally see MV Goji doing that
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

The Destoroyah on the Noriyashi Ohrai poster actually looks more menacing and badass than he does in the actual film.

Here's a model kit someone did just for show : Image I'd argue that this provides a glimpse as to what Dessy could look like if brought back with a modern budget and technology.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:19 pm The Destoroyah on the Noriyashi Ohrai poster actually looks more menacing and badass than he does in the actual film.

Here's a model kit someone did just for show : Image I'd argue that this provides a glimpse as to what Dessy could look like if brought back with a modern budget and technology.
It sort of to me, looks like a half-way point between the Flying Destoroyah and the Final Version.

I agree, I think it looks better. Destoroyah starts out as this insectoid crab thing, gets a unique flying form, and then it's all scrapped away for a "Big Bipedal Monster", just like SpaceGodzilla and MechaGodzilla before it. In a bubble it would be fine, because the Heisei series actually has a nice variety in terms of body plans, but it's a bit weird how we go from the wild-multilegged juvenile forms, to the final design. I think mainly, the reason why they chose the adult design, was that it towers over Godzilla. The version on the poster, unless ridiculously large, would ahve difficulty staring down Godzilla.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Logan268
G-Grasper

Post by Logan268 »

I got another hot take to end all hot takes: I actually find all of the more recent Godzillas to be quite interesting and compelling just as much if not more compelling than the Showa Godzilla.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Logan268 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:37 pm I got another hot take to end all hot takes: I actually find all of the more recent Godzillas to be quite interesting and compelling just as much if not more compelling than the Showa Godzilla.
Conceptually, I agree. All the recent Godzilla’s are more fleshed out and elaborated on. Shin Godzilla is a rapidly mutating evolutionary nightmare. Godzilla Earth is a doomsday incarnation/avatar of the planet. Godzilla Ultima is a sort of interdimensional demon. Comparatively, late Showa era Godzilla just sort of shows up.

But then we again run into the problem of which Showa Era you’re talking about. And all the Showa Godzillas are pretty endearing.

Controversial, but Godzilla’s most interesting/compelling was in Son of Godzilla :angel:
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Logan268 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:37 pm I got another hot take to end all hot takes: I actually find all of the more recent Godzillas to be quite interesting and compelling just as much if not more compelling than the Showa Godzilla.
Obviously Maritonic needs to get in here and permaban your entire bloodline for this, but no, you're not at all wrong. Showa Godzilla is more endearing than any other incarnation, and orders of magnitude more fun than most, but in terms of having any kind of complex personality or compelling significance of whatever... yeah, he falls short of some of the others. In most (not all) Showa movies, he just shows up and he is and does what the story requires of him. Which is a strength, though, really. He's not stuck in any kind of box. If he can be whatever a movie needs him to be, he can survive for 21 years and fifteen movies. None of his descendants can claim anything like that, yet.

On a related note, I'm in the process of forgiving Godzilla vs. Kong. I still need to give it a rewatch, but I'm coming to admit that some of my problems with it are more on my end than anything. There's no getting around the grating, shoddy modern Hollywoodishness of it, but it's partially hypocritical of me to harp on the continuity issues. On the one hand, it's explicitly the purpose of a Cinematic Universe to tie all of its films together effectively and logically, ensuring that events and characters stay consistent throughout. GvK fell on its face in that regard, abandoning the world established at the end of KOTM and failing to help the audience understand why Godzilla is so damn pissed off at Kong, to the point where he feels OOC with G14 and G19. No, I don't care about supplementary media. On the other hand, the Monsterverse is only a Cinematic Universe because it was born, through no fault of its own, into the Marvel META. Hollywood lives in the shadow of the MCU right now, and Cinematic Universes are simply the done thing. You slap that term and a semblance of continuity onto your film series, or it doesn't get made. It's a ball and chain that filmmakers are tied to, so to a point, we need to be willing to look past it and take each film on its own merits like we used to.

So in this case, it doesn't necessarily matter what happened in the past of the Monsterverse. We just need to know that Kong is a lonely monkey that wants a family, and Godzilla is an angry bastard with a heart of gold five sizes too small. They don't like each other because there can't be two kings. And Mechagodzilla exists. That level of storytelling would have been fine in a Showa movie. I guess I'll concede that it's fine for a Monsterverse movie, too. Not to say filmmakers shouldn't aim for better, of course.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:19 pm The Destoroyah on the Noriyashi Ohrai poster actually looks more menacing and badass than he does in the actual film.

That version of Destroyah has a creepy dragon feel that would have worked well. As for size, I know of a few Ultraman kaiju that towered over the alien hero. However, the humanoid design is easier for the suit actors and their movements.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

The pose makes me think this Destoroyah could have also loomed over Godzilla if it stood to a full height. Like yeah, it’s hunched, but it also appears it could stand like the suit version. Either way, it’s a neat concept, and a CGI incarnation could take inspiration from it in the future.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Destroyah as a whole feels like he was suppose to be this big bad threat then Toho decided Godzilla needed to go out on top as the strongest monster.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Apparently my unpopular opinion is liking Destoroyah and thinking he was fine in his role lol

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Yeah Destoroyah was amazing honestly. One of the best Godzilla kaiju IMO.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I think he's portrayed just right in the role they gave him. I found him far more threatening than the other Heisei enemies.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:29 am
Obviously Maritonic needs to get in here and permaban your entire bloodline for this, but no, you're not at all wrong. Showa Godzilla is more endearing than any other incarnation, and orders of magnitude more fun than most, but in terms of having any kind of complex personality or compelling significance of whatever... yeah, he falls short of some of the others. In most (not all) Showa movies, he just shows up and he is and does what the story requires of him. Which is a strength, though, really. He's not stuck in any kind of box. If he can be whatever a movie needs him to be, he can survive for 21 years and fifteen movies. None of his descendants can claim anything like that, yet.

On a related note, I'm in the process of forgiving Godzilla vs. Kong. I still need to give it a rewatch, but I'm coming to admit that some of my problems with it are more on my end than anything. There's no getting around the grating, shoddy modern Hollywoodishness of it, but it's partially hypocritical of me to harp on the continuity issues. On the one hand, it's explicitly the purpose of a Cinematic Universe to tie all of its films together effectively and logically, ensuring that events and characters stay consistent throughout. GvK fell on its face in that regard, abandoning the world established at the end of KOTM and failing to help the audience understand why Godzilla is so damn pissed off at Kong, to the point where he feels OOC with G14 and G19. No, I don't care about supplementary media. On the other hand, the Monsterverse is only a Cinematic Universe because it was born, through no fault of its own, into the Marvel META. Hollywood lives in the shadow of the MCU right now, and Cinematic Universes are simply the done thing. You slap that term and a semblance of continuity onto your film series, or it doesn't get made. It's a ball and chain that filmmakers are tied to, so to a point, we need to be willing to look past it and take each film on its own merits like we used to.

So in this case, it doesn't necessarily matter what happened in the past of the Monsterverse. We just need to know that Kong is a lonely monkey that wants a family, and Godzilla is an angry bastard with a heart of gold five sizes too small. They don't like each other because there can't be two kings. And Mechagodzilla exists. That level of storytelling would have been fine in a Showa movie. I guess I'll concede that it's fine for a Monsterverse movie, too. Not to say filmmakers shouldn't aim for better, of course.
To be fair on Godzilla's motivations, in the context of just what is given in the movie without supplemental material,
1. Godzilla and Kong's species had an ancient war
2. Godzilla views the surface world as his territory except Skull island for reasons.
3. Moving Kong off Skull island is traveling through Godzilla's territory and thus indirectly Godzilla's instinct is Kong invading his territory.

It's really just two territorial animals on a global scale is the conflict.

And keep this in mind none of this is outside supplemental material and is spoonfed to the viewer.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

I want to add that Kong was in his way during most of the movie— Godzilla’s goal was to stop what he sensed was Ghidorah’s return. Aka, the old rival that he hates more than any other creature so far. The rage in his eyes when he finally sees Mechagodzilla says it all. Of course he would try and tear the monkey a new one if it stood between him and what he perceived as the greatest threat to his territory. It’s subtext, but it’s nonetheless present in the movie.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Sure, except Godzilla wasn't nearly as animalistic and unhinged when he was up against his parasitic enemies the MUTOs or a high-level territorial rival in Ghidorah. He lost all composure against Kong and was acting like a rabid lizard. Logically we can guess at the reasons for that, but the movie doesn't let us feel them. We don't get into Godzilla's head at all. And... now that I phrase it that way... that might actually have been Toho's doing. Hmm. I wonder, now.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:14 pm ^ Sure, except Godzilla wasn't nearly as animalistic and unhinged when he was up against his parasitic enemies the MUTOs or a high-level territorial rival in Ghidorah. He lost all composure against Kong and was acting like a rabid lizard. Logically we can guess at the reasons for that, but the movie doesn't let us feel them. We don't get into Godzilla's head at all. And... now that I phrase it that way... that might actually have been Toho's doing. Hmm. I wonder, now.
Well Godzilla being unhinged and animalistic wouldn't have been useful towards the mutos or Ghidorah from a tactical standpoint. It was useful on Kong because Kong was an agile opponent and when Kong almost killed Godzilla with the Axe, Godzilla changed his tactics so as to keep Kong from getting distance and possibly keep him from finding the axe again.

Plus a character flaw of Godzilla in KOTM is that he likes to torture Ghidorah just as much as Ghidorah does to him.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:14 pm ^ Sure, except Godzilla wasn't nearly as animalistic and unhinged when he was up against his parasitic enemies the MUTOs or a high-level territorial rival in Ghidorah. He lost all composure against Kong and was acting like a rabid lizard. Logically we can guess at the reasons for that, but the movie doesn't let us feel them. We don't get into Godzilla's head at all. And... now that I phrase it that way... that might actually have been Toho's doing. Hmm. I wonder, now.
Tbh he only got “animalistic” after he already got knocked down by Kong’s axe one time. Beforehand he didn’t really fight any differently than he did against the MUTOs or Ghidorah in terms of power distribution. The way I saw it he merely switched up his strategy in order to gain a better agility countermeasure by going all fours on ground level, and sought to dispose of Kong as quickly as possible to get back to his main goal.

I mentioned it before but personally I always felt like there wasn’t really anything too bordering out of character about his portrayal in this film- it’s just so that his actions inherently seem more antagonistic when placed from Kong’s perspective which is what the narrative follows for a huge bulk of the plot. I do wish we got a few more character building moments on Godzilla’s side, it’s a shame Toho is so weirdly adamant about the emotions thing.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzilla is in a different place in Godzilla vs Kong. He supercharged on fusing with Mothra and he is the Alpha now.

People claim Godzilla was acting different but I'd argue the film just framed him differently because he was fighting Kong who we like not the Mutos or Ghidorah who were bad guys.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image