General Gashapon/Small Figurine Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Re: POST YOUR GASHAPONS !!!

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Id need to do some serious research and find the best version and most consistently in scale version of each kaiju.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

WarpedBandicoot99
Samurai

Post by WarpedBandicoot99 »

I know it's unlikely, but a gashapon set based off of the Toho-distributed short film Godzilla vs. Gigan Rex would be pretty neat.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

WarpedBandicoot99 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:32 pm I know it's unlikely, but a gashapon set based off of the Toho-distributed short film Godzilla vs. Gigan Rex would be pretty neat.
I don't think it's an impossibility. This was way more avaiable to watch versus the Ride, and there is some form of demand for the Gigan Rex MMS figures. The awkward thing is what monsters do you include, assuming the set has four? Godzilla, Gigan Rex, and two other randos? Or Godzilla, Gigan Rex, and Gigan Miles +some other monster? Maybe a sort of glowing white Godzilla, or Gigan Rex in a circle to reflect the end of the short film?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

I think it can work: Godzilla 2022, Gigan 2022, Gigan Rex 2022, and Glowing Godzilla 2022 (same mold, different paint or make it a chase with translucent parts).

Could also be a set with both shorts: Godzilla 2021, Hedorah 2021, Godzilla 2022, and Gigan Rex 2022.
Godzilla & Gamera High Grade (gashapon) collector.
Looking for: spare High Grade insert papers (various sets)

WarpedBandicoot99
Samurai

Post by WarpedBandicoot99 »

I'd personally love a set based on the short, I really dig the modern take on Gigan's design and especially enjoy the design of Gigan Rex.

I highly agree with making the White Glow Godzilla some kind of chase figure, that is if HG still does those every now and then.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

This is coming in late, but the thread says to post my Gashapons, so that's what I'm gonna do!

Image Image

Image Image

Now that I've finally acquired the 2021 Gamera set, I'm once again delighted and amused at how Bandai keeps scoring home runs with this franchise. These minifigures are gorgeous. I understand the second set was less than stellar, but I'd be excited if Bandai went ahead with a new GIII set at some point (a Brave set would be even more amazing).

Flying versions:
Image Image

Battle for the universe!

Comparisons with some other small Bandais, etc. - the Gamera set doesn't quite scale with my Godzilla figurines, regrettably:

cicada.human
Yojimbo

Post by cicada.human »

The paint and the sculpts are really amazing on those Gamera figures. They even paint the inside of the mouth. I'm new to Gashapon/ HG figures, just bought some of my first and decided to repaint the G54 figure. I buy off Ebay, is that a good place or is it overpriced?

Andagi1
GPN Volunteer

Post by Andagi1 »

Is it ok to talk about the Sakai Complete Works Dioramas here? Got a big set of them recently and must say they're the real deal, with the VS series entries being my favorite overall (especially 84, 91, and 94). There's so much detail despite the scale, which really attests to YS's skill as a sculptor. It's kind of surreal that these came out nearly 20 years ago.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Andagi1 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:56 am Is it ok to talk about the Sakai Complete Works Dioramas here? Got a big set of them recently and must say they're the real deal, with the VS series entries being my favorite overall (especially 84, 91, and 94). There's so much detail despite the scale, which really attests to YS's skill as a sculptor. It's kind of surreal that these came out nearly 20 years ago.
Sure yeah! I’m a big fan of them myself, been trying to get all of them but they’re a little rare.

I honestly love them. They’re good quality, and they’re pretty much the only way to get some of the older incarnations of the Showa Godzilla designs without resorting to breaking the bank.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

cicada.human
Yojimbo

Post by cicada.human »

Andagi1 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:56 am Is it ok to talk about the Sakai Complete Works Dioramas here? Got a big set of them recently and must say they're the real deal, with the VS series entries being my favorite overall (especially 84, 91, and 94). There's so much detail despite the scale, which really attests to YS's skill as a sculptor. It's kind of surreal that these came out nearly 20 years ago.
Do they scale well with the HG line?

Andagi1
GPN Volunteer

Post by Andagi1 »

I have bootlegs of the HG 72 Gigan and Sokogeki/01 and they're around the same size as the GCW figurines, so you should be alright. The figures and diorama bases are separate so you can display them standalone as well.

Added in 3 minutes 31 seconds:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:28 am Sure yeah! I’m a big fan of them myself, been trying to get all of them but they’re a little rare.

I honestly love them. They’re good quality, and they’re pretty much the only way to get some of the older incarnations of the Showa Godzilla designs without resorting to breaking the bank.
Some of the Showa ones are beautiful, particularly 54 and All Monsters Attack. For Millennium the G2K diorama is one of the best imo.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

The Sakai Godzilla dioramas are phenomenal. I want to try and grab a few at G-FEST this year.

cicada.human
Yojimbo

Post by cicada.human »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:43 pm The Sakai Godzilla dioramas are phenomenal. I want to try and grab a few at G-FEST this year.
Yeah they look amazing, I wouldn't mind grabbing that 55 godzilla one.

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

The next HGX set has been announced: Tsuburaya Productions Shinji Higuchi Selection

This time each figure comes with a piece of Tyrant.

I was hoping for another Godzilla set but I guess this works for the Ultra fans. Its a good lineup, but I am a little curious why 3 of them are green and he rest are in color.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Mirror man is cool. Recently they had a Spectreman one.

However, just because of the “buy and get a piece of one bigger figure” I’m really not interested. It’s clearly a gimmick purely designed to take advantage of OCD in people. It also means complete sets will be incredibly expensive. I’d much rather the effort go more into the individual pieces than some parts to make a tyrant. It’s a shitty way to make more money and I hope this doesn’t continue with inevitable Godzilla/Gamera releases.

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

I wasn't one board with the Godzilla HGX set either, but after I got it and assembled the Destroyah, I was impressed with the detail. The scale is way off from other HG sets but scale has never been a major point of the line. The Burning Godzilla with the LED was nice too, even if most of the rest of the set was smaller sized.

I was thinking the next set was going to be a Gamera set with Legion being the "assembled" figure since Gamera Two had 2 Legion soldiers and a larger Legion makes sense. Definitely was not expecting an Ultra set, but I like the idea of a person selecting the characters to include. Since P-Bandai did the HGEX Biollante, their aren't too many other large kaiju left. I guess a Showa set with 1961 Mothra being the "assembled" figure could work, the original Mothra had a giant wingspan.

Gojirasaur
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojirasaur »

Saddened to see it's Ultraman, and not more of the earliest era too. I hadn't been adherent in visiting my local shops which carry these when they're out, but have my ear to the ground far more now. Bring on more Showa G era, I say.

Also, aren't many gashopon boxes marked in some way (even if just an embossed code) to know which figure is which now? Is that true of these? (If they are blind)

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gojirasaur wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:31 pm Saddened to see it's Ultraman, and not more of the earliest era too. I hadn't been adherent in visiting my local shops which carry these when they're out, but have my ear to the ground far more now. Bring on more Showa G era, I say.

Also, aren't many gashopon boxes marked in some way (even if just an embossed code) to know which figure is which now? Is that true of these? (If they are blind)
I mean they come in sealed capsules that you crank a machine for. Even if you knew what was inside, you wouldn't really have a chance of picking and choosing. It's all about luck and ratios.
Some people will go through the trouble of getting complete sets and selling them all for 1.3-1.5 the price of what all of them would be together. IE: I've purchased a set where a crank was 500 yen with four figures, for 3000 yen total. It's an extra 1000 yen, but if I did it myself I might've not had a complete set.

Gojirasaur
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojirasaur »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:17 pm I mean they come in sealed capsules that you crank a machine for. Even if you knew what was inside, you wouldn't really have a chance of picking and choosing. It's all about luck and ratios.
Ah, it didn't click with me that these were capsule-based. I was speaking of shokugan vs. gashapon (candy vs capsule), although I read some call those gashapon too.
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:17 pmSome people will go through the trouble of getting complete sets and selling them all for 1.3-1.5 the price of what all of them would be together. IE: I've purchased a set where a crank was 500 yen with four figures, for 3000 yen total. It's an extra 1000 yen, but if I did it myself I might've not had a complete set.
Actually, they got me too on the press conference series. Those were too funny not to get as a set.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

What are those 3 cheap looking all-green things names and from which show are they...?
Size DOES matter!