Life Magazine article on Godzilla

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Freebleeper
Yojimbo

Life Magazine article on Godzilla

Post by Freebleeper »

Hey guys I just wanted to tell you I purchase a Life magazine copy with the whole thing about Godzilla this month as it was a good read with it depicting Godzilla's origin with the bomb, the eiko-maru and other anecdotes that made the character possible. They go really deep with the first movie and tell what the real message for which really was saying as it was ignored from America for years, talks about his popularity in America, the other films from all the other eras, the Americans films as well as Shin. Great behind the scenes pictures as we seen them before and movie posters also. And at the end their was a complete filmography but not the new one which I feel this magazine was published way before it was release but they did mention how the trailers appeal to the fans alot though, so I really like it and i'm going to keep in my collection for the time being.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Life Magazine article on Godzilla

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Freebleeper wrote:Hey guys I just wanted to tell you I purchase a Life magazine copy with the whole thing about Godzilla this month as it was a good read with it depicting Godzilla's origin with the bomb, the eiko-maru and other anecdotes that made the character possible. They go really deep with the first movie and tell what the real message for which really was saying as it was ignored from America for years, talks about his popularity in America, the other films from all the other eras, the Americans films as well as Shin. Great behind the scenes pictures as we seen them before and movie posters also. And at the end their was a complete filmography but not the new one which I feel this magazine was published way before it was release but they did mention how the trailers appeal to the fans alot though, so I really like it and i'm going to keep in my collection for the time being.
Nice find, but could you provide some more info such as the date and issue number?

More interested in the visuals then anything, most people on this site are familiar with how Godzilla is a reflection of contemporary Japanese society.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I know what you're talking about. I saw copies of it in my local Publix, but didn't get it. Definite missed opportunity.

UPDATE: I just found out that it's still there! I might buy it just to see what it's like.

UPDATE 2: I got it a little while back and I liked it! Very good for what it was.
Last edited by mikelcho on Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

I got that magazine too. It has a few flaws, but it's definitely worth picking up.

Freebleeper
Yojimbo

Post by Freebleeper »

Well it says it's on the shelves by the 30th of August and the other numbers I would think are the volumes are (72440 10677) and (96>)

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Saw a lot of salt over this magazine because of some of its jokes about the franchise and tounge and cheek comments.

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

Post by Ultra_Henshin_Fan »

I picked it up, it's not bad at all. It's a thick "magazine", (more like a skinny book). But it's good quality and thick paper-stock, is 100% about Godzilla from cover to cover, and has tons of cool pics and articles.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Guess what I found out yesterday?

The Life magazine special on Godzilla has been recently republished and updated to include Godzilla vs. Kong!

I'm picking this one up first chance I get!

UPDATE: I got it last Thursday! Very good indeed!
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun May 09, 2021 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

I bought one as well, and was surprised to see it because I remembered it being released awhile back and regretted not picking one up
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

No way are you guys and gals going to believe this, but I just bought a third printing that was just released now and this time updates it to the anime trilogy! Hooray for us!
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

mikelcho wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:19 pm No way are you guys and gals going to believe this, but I just bought a third printing that was just released now and this time updates it to the anime trilogy! Hooray for us!
Thank God they included the masterpiece anime trilogy films this time around....yeah, hooray for us :roll:
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:20 pm
mikelcho wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:19 pm No way are you guys and gals going to believe this, but I just bought a third printing that was just released now and this time updates it to the anime trilogy! Hooray for us!
Thank God they included the masterpiece anime trilogy films this time around....yeah, hooray for us :roll:
I didn't say the anime trilogy was liked, I just said they included it so that now the magazine's up to date.

And btw, I haven't even seen the anime trilogy...yet. But I'd like to see it.
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

Finally had time to read through the magazine today. Overall it was a decent read, a few errors here and there but also some info I didn't know. The price seemed a bit high but kind of expected nowadays. I'm sure some more knowledgeable people might have some gripes here and there, but for the average LIFE reader it works.
Godzilla & Gamera High Grade (gashapon) collector.
Looking for: spare High Grade insert papers (various sets)

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I've got all three editions of this magazine, 2019, 2021 and 2023.

M92
Yojimbo

Post by M92 »

mikelcho wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:47 pm I've got all three editions of this magazine, 2019, 2021 and 2023.
It must be one of their best sellers if they reprinted it three times

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

M92 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:24 pm
mikelcho wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:47 pm I've got all three editions of this magazine, 2019, 2021 and 2023.
It must be one of their best sellers if they reprinted it three times
Yeah, I guess it must be.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I forgot to mention that the second and third editions of this magazine are updated ones: the second one to include Godzilla vs. Kong and the third one to include the anime trilogy.

Can't wait for the fourth edition when Life updates it again, this time to include Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire!