Monster Discussion Thread: MechaGodzilla (2021)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Monster Discussion Thread: MechaGodzilla (2021)

Post by JAGzilla »

It occurs to me, from what I remember, that my handful of posts about MV MG have been totally dismissive in tone and content. And that's what he deserves. *walks out of thread like Bully Maguire going down the street*

Buuut even if he was a CGI nothingburger with an undercooked story and an ugly design, I will say that I actually liked the Ghidorah possession. It's basically what rogue Kiryu might have been. You have this incredibly powerful machine, and there's unexpectedly a soul inside it, somehow. It's alive on some level, able to act independently. And in this case, it's braindead evil and bent on revenge. Cool concept let down again by the execution. It also helps give Ghidorah a second role and establish himself as a 'central' villain of the Monsterverse in a way he's never really been. Godzilla being a central figure that other monsters spawn from is the norm these days, but we've never seen Ghidorah do the same. I'd kind of like to see the trend continue somehow in future movies.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:42 am It occurs to me, from what I remember, that my handful of posts about MV MG have been totally dismissive in tone and content. And that's what he deserves. *walks out of thread like Bully Maguire going down the street*

Buuut even if he was a CGI nothingburger with an undercooked story and an ugly design, I will say that I actually liked the Ghidorah possession. It's basically what rogue Kiryu might have been. You have this incredibly powerful machine, and there's unexpectedly a soul inside it, somehow. It's alive on some level, able to act independently. And in this case, it's braindead evil and bent on revenge. Cool concept let down again by the execution. It also helps give Ghidorah a second role and establish himself as a 'central' villain of the Monsterverse in a way he's never really been. Godzilla being a central figure that other monsters spawn from is the norm these days, but we've never seen Ghidorah do the same. I'd kind of like to see the trend continue somehow in future movies.
The sad thing is that the "Rogue MG possessed by KG" isn't an original idea, even ignoring Kiryu. The original "Berserk" and the Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (Heisei) Manga have that very similar idea. In the 1992 Manga, MG is taken over by a MKG's remaining data.

I have strong opinions about various Monsterverse films, both positive and negative. The problem with MV Mechagodzilla is that it's just a thing for Godzilla and Kong to team up and fight. It's cool when they do, and I love it, but it's not because MG itself is particularly interesting. MV MG is a meh villain. I don't hate it, or love it, or have really any substantial opinion on it.

A fun thought experiment: Have MV Mechagodzilla, under control of Serizawa Junior, fight Godzilla, rather evenly. THEN, when Godzilla is looking strong, have MG be taken over by Ghidorah AND kill the lead crazy mogul. Continue the film as normal. It raises the tension, and adds more.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

MV Mechagodzilla is just there because they were checking off boxes of things that hadn't yet appeared in that series. MG as a third act curveball doesnt work for me.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I like the design, but I also agree he feels a bit wasted. I'd welcome an upgraded return as a feauture length villian. Only thing I'd really change is give him some more projectile weapons. Was really disapointed he didn't have any sort of finger/hand beams.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

RPO design was vastly superior in every way shape and form. They should’ve used that instead.

Otherwise, MechaGodzilla shouldn’t have even been in the damn movie. Should’ve saved him for later.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

TBH out of all the Mechagodzillas we've gotten so far, this one feels the most.. not entirely well thought out. I feel like more should have been done with the "Ghidorah takes over Mechagodzilla" concept. Like, maybe its beam would have turned gold, or it actually started fighting in a way like it still had three heads indicating they were still getting used to the new body? I don't think they're automatically gonna be a pro at using it after all.

Something about its crane hands also kind of rub me the wrong way.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Mechagodzilla in general is my fav Godzilla foe (go figure) and I consider him to be his archnemesis more so than King Ghidorah. But how does Mechagodzilla in the MV stack up? He's fine. I was hyped to see him and I found it to be a joy witnessing the finale battle as a sort of victory lap after King Kong and Godzilla meeting again onscreen.

But on his own this Mechagodzilla does feel wasted. They easily should've done more, and who knows maybe he'll appear very soon in an upgraded form. I could care less about the Ghidorah connection because it really should've been Shun Oguri piloting MG in the finale battle. I've said before that he can play an exceptional villain, and quite frankly the """Team Godzilla""" angle of the film would make more sense following the guy named Serizawa...

Honestly in the context of GvK, Mechagodzilla has the same feeling whenever an Ultraman show brings back a famous villain monster to have a quick awesome fight with limited screentime before moving on to the next thing. I say that because the Godzilla franchise has few moments quite like that. Nothing wrong with fanservice like that! It's just what I can compare it to.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:56 pm Honestly in the context of GvK, Mechagodzilla has the same feeling whenever an Ultraman show brings back a famous villain monster to have a quick awesome fight with limited screentime before moving on to the next thing. I say that because the Godzilla franchise has few moments quite like that. Nothing wrong with fanservice like that! It's just what I can compare it to.
Totally feel this. At least MV MechaGodzilla was treated better than the entire roster of classic kaiju in GFW.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:57 am
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:56 pm Honestly in the context of GvK, Mechagodzilla has the same feeling whenever an Ultraman show brings back a famous villain monster to have a quick awesome fight with limited screentime before moving on to the next thing. I say that because the Godzilla franchise has few moments quite like that. Nothing wrong with fanservice like that! It's just what I can compare it to.
Totally feel this. At least MV MechaGodzilla was treated better than the entire roster of classic kaiju in GFW.
That's fair, yeah this Mechagodzilla was definitely treated better. I'd even say he accomplished more as a threat than FW Gigan and that guy had a second chance in his own film.

I'll never forget this one old livestream where Mr. Fresh Vinyl was like "Kamacuras was in Final Wars?" :lol:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

theres something that I quite dislike and just dont like about him, nothing like I hate or something too obvious to point out, it just feels off.

and its confusing to me why I dont like it since g14 is like number one or two on a bad day to me and this mechaG is REALLY close in body size to my favorite godzilla.

and is frustrating to why I cant quite put it into words lmao

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:52 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:57 am
That's fair, yeah this Mechagodzilla was definitely treated better. I'd even say he accomplished more as a threat than FW Gigan and that guy had a second chance in his own film.

I'll never forget this one old livestream where Mr. Fresh Vinyl was like "Kamacuras was in Final Wars?" :lol:
One of my favorite things to do when watching GFW is put on Survivor's Eye of the Tiger when Gigan attacks Godzilla and just pretend the onslaught up to Mount Fuji is just a Rocky montage.

Quote of the Year:

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

I must be the only one who likes this MG :eh:
I wish he was in the movie a bit more, but I liked the idea behind Apex making him, the Ghidorah through line, and the bits of personality that showed. He felt menacing on screen, even though he only showed up for a little while. The design grew on me and I appreciate the giant grabby claws more than I used to. If they bring back this MG somehow down the line as an even bigger threat, I’d be totally ok with it.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

CyberZilla wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:07 pm I must be the only one who likes this MG :eh:
I wish he was in the movie a bit more, but I liked the idea behind Apex making him, the Ghidorah through line, and the bits of personality that showed. He felt menacing on screen, even though he only showed up for a little while. The design grew on me and I appreciate the giant grabby claws more than I used to. If they bring back this MG somehow down the line as an even bigger threat, I’d be totally ok with it.
There are dozens of us, dozens!

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

This is the first time I've found out anybody besides me disliked the Ghidorah-MG connection. I absolutely couldn't stand that aspect of the film and I otherwise found pretty much everything about it fine. I'm not wild about this MG design and he didn't make a great third-act twist, I think. I think Mecha-King Ghidorah would have fit better and save MG for more of a title role film.

That said, looking at as one of four or five official incarnations of Mechagodzilla, he feels like a valid addition to the group.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

PROS:

• Mechagodzilla’s new design looks cool for the most part, like Machinedramon from Digimon crossed with Megatron from Michael Bay’s Transformers and then molded into the form of Godzilla’s MonsterVerse design.

• The concept of a group of villainous humans constructing Mechagodzilla is a novel idea that hasn’t been done before.

• Mechagodzilla is back to being a formidable villain that Godzilla can’t handle alone. It’s a welcome return to the character’s Showa roots.

• Like the Heisei version, this Mechagodzilla is made by utilizing the remains of Ghidorah after he’s defeated by Godzilla.

• Like the Millennium version, this Mechagodzilla promptly runs amok upon being possessed by the spirit of a dead kaiju still dwelling in its skeletal remains.

• One of the film’s action highlights is the entire third act in which Mechagodzilla bursts out of the mountainside, rampages in Hong Kong, wipes the floor with Godzilla and nearly kills him with his own “kiss of death” technique, with Kong and Godzilla ultimately joining forces to defeat MG. This “final boss” take on the character is a fresh approach and it works very effectively.

CONS:

• Mechagodzilla looks bald without a metal crest on top of his head.

• Despite the novel concept of being constructed by an organization of villainous humans, the whole Apex Cybernetics side of the movie’s plot is half-baked, cliched and generic as hell. That’s the biggest waste of this take on Mechagodzilla, and the biggest waste in all of Godzilla vs. Kong, really.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

I personally like his appearance and character on itself, the rugged and dirty looking metallic particles really give off a vibe that it’s an experimental weapon that was built in urgency. It was cool to see MG in a properly villainous role again even if it wasn’t technically on it’s own agency. Frankly also liked how melee and physical it was in it’s combat style, particularly with how effectively it utilized all of Godzilla’s disadvantages against him.

That being said, MG could have been utilized in a much more substantial manner within the context of the movie. The end result is not terrible but it does feel as if it was a last minute shoehorn to give Godzilla and Kong something to team up against, which frankly feels a bit devaluing from the importance of the character. Either could have had more buildup and proper exposition in a longer version of the film or just saved for a different movie entirely.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:05 am
JAGzilla wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:42 am It occurs to me, from what I remember, that my handful of posts about MV MG have been totally dismissive in tone and content. And that's what he deserves. *walks out of thread like Bully Maguire going down the street*

The sad thing is that the "Rogue MG possessed by KG" isn't an original idea, even ignoring Kiryu. The original "Berserk" and the Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (Heisei) Manga have that very similar idea. In the 1992 Manga, MG is taken over by a MKG's remaining data.

'It's like poetry it rhymes,

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Much like Mothra in KOTM, he was an acquired taste. Was NOT a fan of the design when the playmates toys were leaked, but after seeing it in action and its role in the story, he's grown on me. I wouldn't say he's my favorite as that goes to Kiryu and Showa, but he's a respectable 3rd place next to RPO MG

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

The APEX Mechagodzilla.
THE MONSTERVERSE TERMINATOR.
https://www.facebook.com/raj.vishnu.984 ... 1129934858
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.