Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2023)

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Jomei
Futurian

Re: Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2023)

Post by Jomei »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:49 am
Executive Hamster wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:21 am Miguel really is the master of jumping to massive conclusions based on nothing.
What massive conclusions have I jumped to before. I'm speculating like everyone else and the plot mentioning Gamera continues fighting despite his wounds makes me think that he won't be healing quick enough to be recovered as these battles continue on. It also wouldn't be the first time he has sacrificed himself to save everyone.
He comes back from wounds after resting much more often. It's also just strange to me to imagine that they'd be hinting at Gamera dying in an early plot synopsis. The only time I can recall this being done was with Heisei Godzilla, which was to be a definitive cap to a long-running continuity, and they were not subtle about it. "GODZILLA DIES!" was how they were selling the movie.

Gamera coming back to fight despite being wounded is practically his gimmick. It's like Hulk Hogan getting pummeled for ten minutes, then "Hulking up" out of nowhere, becoming invincible, and winning with the leg drop.

Maybe this series will end with its Gamera dying. Very well could be! It's just not even really implied from that synopsis if you know the first thing about Gamera.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Jomei wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:55 am
miguelnuva wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:49 am
Executive Hamster wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:21 am Miguel really is the master of jumping to massive conclusions based on nothing.
What massive conclusions have I jumped to before. I'm speculating like everyone else and the plot mentioning Gamera continues fighting despite his wounds makes me think that he won't be healing quick enough to be recovered as these battles continue on. It also wouldn't be the first time he has sacrificed himself to save everyone.
He comes back from wounds after resting much more often. It's also just strange to me to imagine that they'd be hinting at Gamera dying in an early plot synopsis. The only time I can recall this being done was with Heisei Godzilla, which was to be a definitive cap to a long-running continuity, and they were not subtle about it. "GODZILLA DIES!" was how they were selling the movie.

Gamera coming back to fight despite being wounded is practically his gimmick. It's like Hulk Hogan getting pummeled for ten minutes, then "Hulking up" out of nowhere, becoming invincible, and winning with the leg drop.

Maybe this series will end with its Gamera dying. Very well could be! It's just not even really implied from that synopsis if you know the first thing about Gamera.
He does get wounded a lot and comes back form them. Perhaps I didn't word my original post correctly its just the way I read it reminded me to the Plot of The Wolverine where Logan being unable to heal was a plot point. Maybe the summary is talking about how Gamera normally gets hurt and still wins, my initial reaction was simply maybe he is not getting enough time to heal and will be worse and worse as the series progresses.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I think that’s a cool concept. Over the course of the six episodes he just gets worse and worse.

I really like this design but I’m not sure how I feel about the front of his shell looking so textured. Looks like he has ugh….female attributes.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

king_ghidorah wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:38 am I think that’s a cool concept. Over the course of the six episodes he just gets worse and worse.

I really like this design but I’m not sure how I feel about the front of his shell looking so textured. Looks like he has ugh….female attributes.
That's not real tranquilo yo

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

….what?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I somehow missed this.

My thoughts:
-Plot is decent. Seems like it'll strike a balance between the Showa and Heisei Series, with younger kids, with what seems to be a mixed cast of Japanese-Americans, just like many of the Showa entries. I like the framing of "a summer of monsters". In case this is not obvious, this'll most likely be airing during the late spring/summer. It'll line up nicely. Neato. Really though it reads as a "set-up", like a synopsis for episode 1, rather than the entire plot.

-Gamera's design looks fine. Distinct from Showa, Heisei and Brave. It's face in particular looks fierce but also expressive. If it's face is representative of anything tonally, I don't expect an Anime Trilogy fiasco at the very least.

-Gyaos look cool. They look sickly, and demonic. It's a nice change of pace from the vampiric ravenous constantly evolving creatures from the old school rubbery design.

-Can't say too much about Jiger's design. We can't see too much, but as Shennigans stated, it's nice if it's a design like SP Angurius where some of it's features are exagerated. Jiger's inclusion is pretty cool though. I gotta be honest, other than Gyaos I never expected Gamera foes to make a comeback, so it's a bit surreal actually looking at it. Like Barugon, Jiger lends itself surprsingly well to being a weird parallel to Gamera. Both are ancient monsters, trapped and preserved, if the Atlantis/Mu connection is maintained.

I gotta go check back and see if anyone listed Jiger as one of their monsters for the bingo card.
Edit: lmao Majorspeilberg was the only user to guess/want Jiger
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Fuck yeah IT'S JIGER TIME BABY WOOOOOO LET'S GET IT
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Well we don't know for sure it is Jiger, much as I hope it is. Could be a new monster and they borrowed a few references. "Uh uh it's not Jiger it's new monster Yiger! Yeah that's right!'
I certainly remember being excited that Titanosaurus was going to be in Singular Point and um nope.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:31 pm Well we don't know for sure it is Jiger, much as I hope it is. Could be a new monster and they borrowed a few references. "Uh uh it's not Jiger it's new monster Yiger! Yeah that's right!'
I certainly remember being excited that Titanosaurus was going to be in Singular Point and um nope.
Netflix confirmed it's Jiger. ;)
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:11 pm -Can't say too much about Jiger's design. We can't see too much, but as Shennigans stated, it's nice if it's a design like SP Angurius where some of it's features are exagerated. Jiger's inclusion is pretty cool though. I gotta be honest, other than Gyaos I never expected Gamera foes to make a comeback, so it's a bit surreal actually looking at it. Like Barugon, Jiger lends itself surprsingly well to being a weird parallel to Gamera. Both are ancient monsters, trapped and preserved, if the Atlantis/Mu connection is maintained.

I gotta go check back and see if anyone listed Jiger as one of their monsters for the bingo card.
Edit: lmao Majorspeilberg was the only user to guess/want Jiger
Yeah, that's why I was pretty surprised to see Jiger; of all the Gamera foes she's easily one of the least popular, but in a way that's one of the reasons why I'm happy to see this monster again.

Makes me wonder what other kaiju will be used, as anyone's fair game at this point. As much as I like the Heisei monsters, I'm hoping the rest are Showa, even though they're one short of being able to use them all.

For some reason I'm thinking the last three will consist of two more Showa monsters and a new kaiju based on Mr. Tentacles from the 2015 short. I'm going to be a free-thinker and say the knife-headed frog and goblin shark alien are two of my favorites who I've been hoping to see reimagined, but its really anyone's guess.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

NSZ wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:51 pm
daveblackeye15 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:31 pm Well we don't know for sure it is Jiger, much as I hope it is. Could be a new monster and they borrowed a few references. "Uh uh it's not Jiger it's new monster Yiger! Yeah that's right!'
Netflix confirmed it's Jiger. ;)
Oh it's confirmed? Never mind then. Very cool.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I could see Barugon to freeze over summer, seems like an easy plot for an episode and maybe Zigra, Virus or both temporary shut down beaches?
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

"This is the worst summer vacation EVER! Let's go to space next year!"
*Viras, Guiron, Zirga and Space Gyaos attack the space resorts.* "OH COME ON!!!"

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

oh hi

This grow more mysterious. As far as I can see, these are all labeled Gamera 2023. Yet we have a "burning" color Gyaos and a bright purple Jiger that differ from the poster.

... and that MonsterArts figure appears to be very similar to the design from the trailer we saw years back.
Last edited by Jomei on Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

The Anime Japan event has begun. Not sure what to expect, but we already got some stuff on display.

These were already posted in the Bandai thread but I think its fair to share them here too.

Odd paint aside, Jiger looks pretty creepy. Not sure if I like the really scrawny build, but the fin on the back is great.

EDIT: Damn, Jomei beat me by a minute, haha.
Last edited by Shenanigans on Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Yeah the colors and scrawny build of Jiger are a little off putting. Considering since Gamera is so freaking bulky.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

The headline here is, aside from the MMS Gamera '23, the others all look wildly different from what we expected!

And I'm really puzzling over that trailer Gamera MonsterArts figure. Like, it's clearly different from the anime design we've seen to this point. Either they're just producing a figure of that for the hell of it, or it is set to appear somewhere in this series or something else.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Here's a couple more pics of Gyaos and Jiger, plus the Monsterarts figure in the link:

https://hobby.dengeki.com/event/1882072/

Jiger's head feels too big for his body.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Ok, I take back the two Gameras looking different. It's a discrepancy in the sculpt quality on the shell.

But the SHMA makes it 100% clear to me that this is indeed the latest version of the concept trailer design.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I dunno scrawny Jiger kind of fits since even in her first movie it seems like Gamera could always beat her in a brawl and what made her dangerous were her variety of tricks rather than the usual 'Gamera gets wounded by Gyaos sonic ray.'