IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Post by darthzilla99 »

kaijukurt wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:37 pm The premise sounds good & art looks very solid.

Can't believe it's been this long for Godzilla-pirate story to happen, can't wait!
The closest to pirates was in the Dark Horse comics where a mad scientist is time traveling with Godzilla. Godzilla wrecks the Spanish armada.

Looking forward to this series. I'm hoping for a mix of new and classic sea monsters
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shenanigans wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:45 pm This series already has a different "feel" to me compared to their latest titles, like something IDW would've done back in the day. IDW's most recent series since their big 2021 return have consisted of a couple series aimed at children, a crossover series, and a collection of one-shots. Here we finally have something that feels like a good ole' fashioned IDW Godzilla miniseries, if that makes sense.
I get exactly what you mean. As much as I like Godzilla Rivals, they suffer from all being unconnected and having horrific gaps in release scheduales. Likewise, while MMPR was great, it was a crossover that relied heavily on simply mashing two franchses together, rather than taking time to develop an original plot or setting. I maintain that Godzilla Monsters and Protectors is ALRIGHT for what it is, but it's certainly a little awkward without something more adult oreinted accompanying it. I've missed things like Gangsters and Goliaths,Half Century War, and Catacylsm (even oblivion!), where each month you'd wonder how the story would advance or change. Done well, 5 issue miniseries can be prefferable to ongoing series as there's less likely to be a sudden cancelation or some other issue.

This feels like a nice way to appeal to a variety of audiences. The Godzilla folks were already interested, but I'm sure someone that is casually interested in history (or pirates!) might see this on a shelf and give it a read. It's a "cross-over free crossover," if that makes sense.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Here's (half) of a variant cover featuring a whole horde of monsters:

I like how its never a question of "if" Anguirus appears in a comic, but "when". Assuming he appears in the pages itself, Anguirus continues his perfect streak of appearing in every IDW comic series, sans Rivals, which is of course still ongoing.

Baragon's there too; it'd be nice to see him more in these comics. I'm surprised at how little everyone's favorite doggy is used. I also spy a Gigan claw; not against aliens making appearances but I hope they can stick with more Earthly-kaiju for the most part. I want to see more sea monsters in particular (it would be a crime to omit Manda from this series, assuming that isn't him in the preview pages).

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Shenanigans wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:34 am Here's (half) of a variant cover featuring a whole horde of monsters:

I like how its never a question of "if" Anguirus appears in a comic, but "when". Assuming he appears in the pages itself, Anguirus continues his perfect streak of appearing in every IDW comic series, sans Rivals, which is of course still ongoing.

Baragon's there too; it'd be nice to see him more in these comics. I'm surprised at how little everyone's favorite doggy is used. I also spy a Gigan claw; not against aliens making appearances but I hope they can stick with more Earthly-kaiju for the most part. I want to see more sea monsters in particular (it would be a crime to omit Manda from this series, assuming that isn't him in the preview pages).
I'm still processing this whole "Godzilla vs pirates" concept. I had a very similar reaction when Godzilla in Hell was first announced a few years ago....not what I exactly wanted nor expected. Godzilla in Hell was a very mixed bag, but I enjoyed in nevertheless. I'm just relieved that we're getting a new series that isn't another vapid Monsters and Protectors pile of excrement. Eager to see how this rather bizarre concept is pulled off...should be a fun ride hopefully.

It will be great to see Baragon's return :Baragon: Other than ROE, he's done next to zilch in these comics.
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:27 pm I am LOVING this idea and the art.

Added in 7 minutes 59 seconds:
Ryu wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:18 pm https://twitter.com/spankzilla85/status ... 9037900802
An idea by Matt Frank, to try to continue the Heisei period. It was rejected by Toho. One of the reasons was actors' image rights, as well as Toho doesn't want comics to be direct sequels whatever the period of films.
Good, because I REALLY despise that design for Godzilla. Too much like his old Neo stuff.
Agreed. Way too "Godzilla-Neo" for my tastes. Glad this never saw the light of day.
Shenanigans wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:45 pm Here we finally have something that feels like a good ole' fashioned IDW Godzilla miniseries, if that makes sense.
I don't know if I'd use the term "good ole' fashioned" to describe past IDW series :lol: I'll concede they've hit some home runs in the past with Half Century War & Rage Across Time, but Godzilla in Hell , was "good, but not great", G: Legends, Gangsters & Goliaths and G: Catalysm were all " meh, ok", and Oblivion was pure garbage X_X ). A very uneven track record all around.

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:32 pm I maintain that Godzilla Monsters and Protectors is ALRIGHT for what it is....
Um, nope....Just....stop :facepalm:
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Ryu
Samurai

Post by Ryu »

https://twitter.com/FrankTieri/status/1 ... 6601011354
In the comments, the writer says that maybe ebirah will have a main villain role.
I'm also not enjoying seeing Godzilla lose his nuclear origin. Well, that's Toho policy.
But come positive, they are more experimental. Perhaps they manage to succeed where the pirates of the caribbean comics failed.
And I'm not talking about the 2004 adult parody.
Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Where do you see Godzilla losing their nuclear origin? I'm trying to find it. It could simply be Godzilla was awakened by nuclear testing, rather than created by it. Ebirah would make for a neat main villain. He's no match for Godzilla, but more than a threat for pirate ships!

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Concept art by Inaki Miranda!

https://twitter.com/InakiMiranda/status ... 9353939968

Looks like we're getting Godzilla 2004, which I believe will be the first time its being used for a full miniseries.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I was going to say 'I'm pretty sure Final Wars Goji was in Gigan Rivals' But no you said 'mini-series.'
Hm I dunno a part of me kind of wishes it was somewhat based on Ebirah Godzilla...I mean Red Bamboo were kinda like pirates in a way.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

darthzilla99 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:07 pm The closest to pirates was in the Dark Horse comics where a mad scientist is time traveling with Godzilla. Godzilla wrecks the Spanish armada.

Looking forward to this series. I'm hoping for a mix of new and classic sea monsters
Oh yeah, that was a fun issue. The splash page of Godzilla vs. the Spanish armada was one of the highlights of that whole time travel arc for me.

Also, interesting that with this mini-series, the Godzilla franchise has interacted with cowboys (Marvel), knights (Rage Across Time), and now pirates!
Formerly known as kurtzilla

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

kaijukurt wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:04 pm
darthzilla99 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:07 pm The closest to pirates was in the Dark Horse comics where a mad scientist is time traveling with Godzilla. Godzilla wrecks the Spanish armada.

Oh yeah, that was a fun issue. The splash page of Godzilla vs. the Spanish armada was one of the highlights of that whole time travel arc for me.

Also, interesting that with this mini-series, the Godzilla franchise has interacted with cowboys (Marvel), knights (Rage Across Time), and now pirates!
Also add Roman Legions (Dark Horse) to that list as well.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

This kind of stuff tells me that a historical/fantasy period piece Godzilla movie could totally work. That's one of the greatest strengths of the character. He's so malleable. This might be a fun read. The art looks pretty good so far.
Last edited by StardustGenius on Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

StardustGenius wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:38 am This kind of stuff tells me that a historical/fantasy period piece Godzilla movie could totally work. That's one of the greatest strengths of the character. He's so malleable. This might be a fun read. The art looks pretty good so far.
Have you by chance read Godzilla Rage Across Time? They vary heavily in contents and approach, but issue 3 is pretty rad.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Alternate cover by Tyler Kirkham:

Shenanigans wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:34 am I want to see more sea monsters in particular (it would be a crime to omit Manda from this series, assuming that isn't him in the preview pages).
I think it's chances of Manda appearing are good based on this "map" with a sea serpent bearing a striking resemblance to Kingdom of Mu guardian:

I also think Megalon would be perfect for this type of storyline (hell, throw in Seatopia or the Kingdom of Mu into the mix among Sir Francis Drake's various encounters & voyages). :antonio: :Megalon:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I hope King Ghidorah, Rodan, and Mothra are all relegated to cameos tbh. Hell, have King Ghidorah in an issue but don’t make him the main focus. Legit just have him swoop over the seas causing thunderstorms or something and leave it at that. Or show briefly in a montage of monsters that ravage the sea…

That octopus actually looks like Gezora too. Could be either Oodako or Gezora, but who knows if the former is even properly trademarked.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:17 am That octopus actually looks like Gezora too. Could be either Oodako or Gezora, but who knows if the former is even properly trademarked.
That's definitely a (or the) Giant Octopus; the pointed head isn't usually the norm for him, but the other features match up. That, or it's a stand in for something like the Kraken. A giant cuttlefish wouldn't be too far removed from a story like this, though.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Man I'd love to see the Giant Octopus make a proper comic appearance. He recently appeared in a video game, so its certainly possible. Gezora and the Yog crew would be preferable, of course. I'm not so sure about the map dragon being Manda though. Could just be stylized being map artwork, but the fin on the back makes me think more generic sea dragon than Manda.

Right now I'm thinking we might see the ship wind up on an island which our pirates quickly discover to be Monster Island, which will give us cameos from the likes of Rodan, Ghidorah, and Mothra while not focusing on them for more than brief encounters, maybe similar to the first issue of Gangsters & Goliaths.

Regardless, its nice to see IDW truly utilizing the Toho roster again. That's another thing that makes this series feel like one of IDW's older installments. Pleased to hear Ebirah will have what sounds like a decent role.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

From this post on IG, you can clearly see Megalon on the back of the RI cover (though I’m not really digging the artwork in general of this particular cover….Gigan looks like he has Downs Syndrome. Definitely the weakest of the 3 covers revealed thus far):

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqTXW7SusPU ... MyMTA2M2Y=

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gigan does look a bit off, but I quite like the colors and atmosphere of the cover. It really feels like a perilous encounter on the high seas.

I like Ghidorah a lot though. Not sure what it is, but it’s definitely stylized, with larger (proportionally) angular heads.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:13 am….Gigan looks like he has Downs Syndrome
Hey let’s cool it with the ableism, bud. You can criticize the artwork to your liking without resorting to these types of descriptors.

Minyaboioh
Young Farmer

Post by Minyaboioh »

There's a Godzilla Library Collection coming in October (I can't post the Amazon link for some reason).
Myths and legends about The King of the Monsters abound. Now is your chance to read them all!

The Godzilla Library Collection is a comprehensive line of books that will collect every comic series by IDW!

In Gangsters & Goliaths, Detective Makoto Sato is on a quest to bring down the Takahashi crime syndicate but Sato's efforts earn him a one-way trip to a tropical getaway, courtesy of the Tokyo criminal underworld--MONSTER ISLAND! Alone and facing death at the hands of both gangsters and goliaths, Sato must use his wits to survive--and enlist the aid of some unusual friends. By John Layman and Alberto Ponticelli.

In a world where monsters roam freely, some stories have been lost to time... until NOW! In Legends, the kaiju of Godzilla's fearsome rogues' gallery get the spotlight. Featuring Anguirus, Rodan, Titanosaurus, Hedorah, and Kumonga! By a host of talent including Chris Mowry, E.J. Su, Bobby Curnow, Dean Haspeil, Mike Raicht, Tony Parker, Jon Vankin, Simon Gane, Matt Frank, and Jeff Prezenkowski.

Then, in The Half-Century War, follow one man's journey from the moment Godzilla's reign of destruction begins in 1954 and continues over his lifetime, taking him from Ghana to India, and maybe the end of the world, by James Stokoe.