Godzilla & Toho Tokusatsu KODANSHA Official MOOK Series

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Godzilla & Toho Tokusatsu KODANSHA Official MOOK Series

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Looks like there is a super cheap Godzilla "Mook" coming out on March 27th (only 770 Yen, slightly less than $5). As it's vol.1 (and apparently focused on G54), one can assume that this is going to be a ongoing, regular series of G books (can't confirm this though). Kodansha has a really good track record with releasing quality G books, so this could be turn out be a nice, under the radar alternative to the much more expensive "Completion/Perfection" Hobby Japan books or the recent Futabasha "Battle of" Mooks.

"TOHO Beautiful Women Armageddon," lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Thu May 04, 2023 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

G-Matt
Futurian

Re: Godzilla & Toho Tokusatsu OFFICIAL MOOK vol.1 Godzilla (Kodansha series MOOK)

Post by G-Matt »

There already was a Vol. 0 that came out at the end of last year. It was basically a general overview of all the SF productions of Toho, both movie and TV productions.

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-2812266

Anyway, I've ordered Vol. 1 and I'm looking forward to getting it. :)
Last edited by G-Matt on Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Re: Godzilla & Toho Tokusatsu OFFICIAL MOOK vol.1 Godzilla (Kodansha series MOOK)

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

G-Matt wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:55 pm There already was a Vol. 0 that came out at the end of last year. It was basically a general overview of all the SF productions of Toho, both movie and TV productions.

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-2812266

Anyway, I've ordered Vol. 1 and I'm looking forward to getting it. :)
How was vol. 0?

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

It's quite good. It offers some pictures that I don't think are usually seen anywhere else, and it gives info on a few Toho produced tokusatsu shows that I hadn't heard of before.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

G-Matt wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:11 pm It's quite good. It offers some pictures that I don't think are usually seen anywhere else, and it gives info on a few Toho produced tokusatsu shows that I hadn't heard of before.
Thanks for the insight. I just noticed that Anthony Romero posted a review of Vol. 0 on TK's main page:

https://www.tohokingdom.com/books/godzi ... sha22.html

This series looks really great...from the looks of it, it seems like a more in-depth/expansive version of the TOHO Tokusatsu DVD w/ Booklet collections they released way back from 2014-2018-ish (they eventually published all of them in one *massive* book).

Imagehttps://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61UVYLirjdL.jpg

*sigh*, why can't we get G books like this over here in the West :(

G-Matt
Futurian

Re: Godzilla & Toho Tokusatsu KODANSHA Official MOOK Series

Post by G-Matt »

Got Vol. 2 a couple of days ago. I was a bit surprised that it was a bit thinner than the previous two, but still, plenty of nice pictures and stuff to look at.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

G-Matt wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:10 pm Got Vol. 2 a couple of days ago. I was a bit surprised that it was a bit thinner than the previous two, but still, plenty of nice pictures and stuff to look at.
Cool..sounds like quality over quantity.

It appears Vol. 4 will be focused on Rainbow Man (Not really my cup of tea) before Vol. 5 will cover GvsBiollante in late May:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/%E8%AC%9B ... 844&psc=1

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Pretty cool. Interested in volumes 8, 9, 16, 20, and 40.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

I always have so much trouble keeping track of these books.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Just released today:

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Some photos from Vol. 5. What I like about these books is they don't seems to just be using the same stills we often see over and over again. Reminds me of the approach the fantastic Shogakukan Film books took back during the Heisei/Millennium films.

ImageImage

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

That looks like a really cool book. The layout is nice and there are some nice photos in there. The Super X 2 page is particularly nice.

I do wish they relied a little less on stills from the film itself. Lots of good photos there but it would be nice if more of them were actual on-set, behind the scenes, or promotional photos instead of just being frames from the film itself.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

canofhumdingers wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:31 am That looks like a really cool book. The layout is nice and there are some nice photos in there. The Super X 2 page is particularly nice.

I do wish they relied a little less on stills from the film itself. Lots of good photos there but it would be nice if more of them were actual on-set, behind the scenes, or promotional photos instead of just being frames from the film itself.
Fair point and I agree, if there's one thing missing from these neat little books, it's more behind the scenes / making of photos (Though in fairness, that's not what they seem to be focusing on with these particular "Mooks").

But it definitely can be done. One of my all time favorite "Mooks" was this little gem dedicated to Godzilla 1954:

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Volume 6 is out and covers my personal favorite film of the series :KingGhidorah64: :Rodan56: :g64: :Mothra61:

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Volume 7 is out now:

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Volumes 9 & 10 (strange that they included GvsSG & GvsD together....but neither of those films are particular favorites of mine, so no big deal for me personally):

Curious to know how Vol. 10 stacks up with the Hobby Japan GFW book.

ShyGuyPal101
Monsterland Worker

Post by ShyGuyPal101 »

I got Volume 11 today (found it at a local JP store)! I bought Vol.1 (G1954), 2 (GvsKingKong), 10 (Final Wars), and now 11 (vsKG, vsMothra). I ordered other Godzilla volumes too that I missed out on. I like these booklets because of their thickness (in terms of how thin they are) and just focusing on one or two movies. It is a good casual book for a cheap price.

What I found especially good about them is that they go over all the main actors AND the vehicles! Also at the end there's always a bonus interview or cool facts about either the movie, merchandise, etc. that you may not find easily elsewhere. For example, in the Final Wars book, there's an interview about how they used the Trendmasters toy for FW Zilla. I'm sure most of this content can be found in beefier mooks of the various movies, but its cool to have it all in a compact book for $5. Very effecient use of space!

My only gripe is that mayn of the images of the monsters are blown-up and blurry on the spread pages. They have multiple images of the monsters, but its kind of goofy to make the main image in the center blurry. I don't know what what the deal with that is. Either way, for like $5 its definetly worth it if you like a particular movie (or movies)!.
Last edited by ShyGuyPal101 on Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

ShyGuyPal101 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:01 pm I got Volume 11 today (found it at a local JP store)! I bought Vol.1 (G1954), 2 (GvsKingKong), 10 (Final Wars), and now 11 (vsKG, vsMothra). I ordered other Godzilla volumes too that I missed out on. I like these booklets because of their thickness (in terms of how thin they are) and just focusing on one or two movies. It is a good casual book for a cheap price.

What I found especially good about them is that they go over all the main actors AND the vehicles! Also at the end there's always a bonus interview or cool facts about either the movie, merchandise, etc. that you may not find easily elsewhere. For example, in the Final Wars book, there's an interview about how they used the Trendmasters toy for FW Zilla. I'm sure most of this content can be found in beefier mooks of the various movies, but its cool to have it all in a compact book for $5. Very effecient use of space!

My only gripe is that mayn of the images of the monsters are blown-up and blurry on the spread pages. They have multiple images of the monsters, but its kind of goofy to make the main image in the center blurry. I don't know what what the deal with that is. Either way, for like $5 its definetly worth it if you like a particular movie (or movies)!.
I bought the Vs. Mothra/KG a few days ago and there's some interesting small details. One such detail is the woman that Terasawa talks to throughout the film that isn't Emi is confirmed to be Terasawa's "lover"/girlfriend. They also say she's an editor at their company. It's sort of interesting, but a lot of people get caught up in detail with that. I look forward to dissecting these.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

ShyGuyPal101
Monsterland Worker

Post by ShyGuyPal101 »

And just like that, we are already at Volume 19! I am going back and buying any that I wanted and missed.

Anyone else have trouble finding Vol.17 with Rodan and Varan? I really want that one too. It seems like its sold out whenever I check. Guessing it was a popular one?

Also does Vol.16's Zone Fighters show all the monsters? And are there good images of Dogora and Maguma in Vol.19?
Last edited by ShyGuyPal101 on Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.