How Much Do You Love the Monsterverse?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Where Do You Stand On The Monsterverse?

They're the only Godzilla movies I've ever seen
1%
These are the definitive Godzilla movies
No votes
They're better than any Japanese Godzilla film
2%
I love everything about them
11%
They're mostly great
20%
They're pretty good
42%
I'm totally neutral on them
7%
Some of them suck
13%
They're all completely terrible
3%
I wish they never existed
1%

Total votes: 100

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Re: How Much Do You Love the Monsterverse?

Post by Gojira1604 »

Handsome Shrek wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:10 am I still cannot fathom the sheer hatred for King of the Monsters. Ffs, it got nominated for a fucking Razzie the same year that had shit like Us, Captain Marvel, and Rise of Skywalker 🤦‍♂️

Like I know I am basically a KotM fanboy, but Jesus… was it really THAT awful? Y’all are making it sound like The Room or something

Added in 6 minutes 31 seconds:
And on that note I wanna talk about jokes and humor. Yeah I get it, the gonnorhea joke was lame, but Marvel’s humor has been consistently dreadful for years now. So why do they get a pass? Marvel Studios is playing the filmmaking game on easy mode: they just need a script and people will eat it up.
Search up MCU & most new YouTube vids about it are negative and discussing its "fall".

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Not gonna sugarcoat it, I love these movies. Every time they start promoting new MV movies I get hyped, more than most MCU offerings, even during IW/Endgame era. They’re pretty good and I still rewatch them from time to time. Even got some people who don’t watch kaiju movies much to watch them, so they’re interested in Godzilla and Kong stuff now. It’s made some strange decisions in terms of writing, can’t deny that, but most of them don’t bother me that much unless it’s egregious. They’re comfort movies for me, so that might be part of why I’m generally more forgiving towards them.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

CyberZilla wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:07 pm Not gonna sugarcoat it, I love these movies. Every time they start promoting new MV movies I get hyped, more than most MCU offerings, even during IW/Endgame era. They’re pretty good and I still rewatch them from time to time. Even got some people who don’t watch kaiju movies much to watch them, so they’re interested in Godzilla and Kong stuff now. It’s made some strange decisions in terms of writing, can’t deny that, but most of them don’t bother me that much unless it’s egregious. They’re comfort movies for me, so that might be part of why I’m generally more forgiving towards them.
Also cause, you know, you're a Godzilla fan.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

CyberZilla wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:07 pm Not gonna sugarcoat it, I love these movies. Every time they start promoting new MV movies I get hyped, more than most MCU offerings, even during IW/Endgame era. They’re pretty good and I still rewatch them from time to time. Even got some people who don’t watch kaiju movies much to watch them, so they’re interested in Godzilla and Kong stuff now. It’s made some strange decisions in terms of writing, can’t deny that, but most of them don’t bother me that much unless it’s egregious. They’re comfort movies for me, so that might be part of why I’m generally more forgiving towards them.
I was going to comment something like this but you summed up my feelings lmao. Even down to getting new people into it.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

I love the Monsterverse. But I wouldn't go so far as to say they're the "definitive" Godzilla movies or that they're better than all the Japanese entries. I just view them as part of the franchise. As far as where I would rank them amongst all of the Godzilla films varies as well. I disagree with what some newer Western fans have said online about them being the only good Godzilla films. But I also disagree with fans who exclude them entirely as something akin to the 98 movie all over again. But it wouldn't be a fandom without people who hold radical views.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

wireframemonsters
Ronin

Post by wireframemonsters »

The fact that we get big budget Hollywood cinematic universe Godzilla/Kong films is still unbelieve. The Monsterverse is going to a classic time in the Godzilla's history.

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

I would trade these 4 movies anytime for japanese productions. They did a few things right but there are so much "dislikes" for example the whole hollow earth thing is totally dumb. Or that the monsters always look tiny because the environment is huge like huge caves, giant aircraft carriers or indestructable skyscrapers that can withstand the weight of Kong. And these cheesy story-lines... the movies don´t have a high rewatch value (for me)
Sorry no offense to everyone who loves the Monsterverse.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

wireframemonsters wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:39 am The fact that we get big budget Hollywood cinematic universe Godzilla/Kong films is still unbelieve. The Monsterverse is going to a classic time in the Godzilla's history.
Well, yeah...I guess. Maybe it was unbelievable when they first announced they were doing these. Not anymore. Now the MonsterVerse just feels like just another Hollywood IP merchandise machine. And with Toho doing their own thing at the exact same time, it all kind of just blends into this big Godzilla soup of stuff that keeps happening.

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

Count me in as one of those fans who is fairly neutral on the MV, all four films have some pretty cool things about (like a lot of the monster designs) and some fairly stupid ass things (like the Hollow Earth from GVK)
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

One thing I’m legit curious about. Why are the stupid things in the Monsterverse films unenjoyable while in the Showa era and beyond, they’re seen as endearing?

And for that matter, when people describe GxK as being even more stupid, and yes, entertaining, they say it’s the most Showa era film yet in the MV like KDM has stated?

Does stupid=Showa? I certainly don’t think so. But I’m having a hard time sorting out my thoughts on all of this and would like some help here if anyone has something intelligent to add.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

king_ghidorah wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:36 pm One thing I’m legit curious about. Why are the stupid things in the Monsterverse films unenjoyable while in the Showa era and beyond, they’re seen as endearing?

And for that matter, when people describe GxK as being even more stupid, and yes, entertaining, they say it’s the most Showa era film yet in the MV like KDM has stated?

Does stupid=Showa? I certainly don’t think so. But I’m having a hard time sorting out my thoughts on all of this and would like some help here if anyone has something intelligent to add.

I think it ultimately just comes down to taste. You'll always have people looking at Godzilla tail-sliding or flying and call it stupid. And you'll always have people calling kaiju submitting to Godzilla stupid. Often the former have complaints like the effects being dated or Godzilla being too kid-friendly. The latter will sometimes say that it's fanservice that doesn't understand what makes the Japanese movies what they are. To be clear, I don't agree with any of those complaints. One of the things I love about Godzilla movies is how he can be used in so many different ways. But those are all points I've seen raised in various corners of the internet.

Another point is that the more fantastical aspects of these stories, or camp, can be divisive. You find that what constitutes good camp or bad camp varies wildly from person to person, group to group, or even over the years. The Joss Whedon-style humor and dialogue that has been in nearly every Hollywood adaptation of a comic book over the last decade was certainly seen as charming by the general audience back when the first Avengers movie came out. But now we're starting to see more and more people tire of it. So it may make the shift from "good camp" to "bad camp" soon. And years later it may be seen as good again as whatever the next popular style is starts to become stale.

I know I'm kind of rambling and this may not be exactly what you're looking for, but that's my two cents.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

That’s exactly the type of post I was looking for. Thanks!

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I get hundred million dollar hollywood Godzilla movies, without losing his core characteristics. I'm good! I have a lot of criticisms, but I'm happy with it.

GoKelley86
Samurai

Post by GoKelley86 »

Of all the shared universes trying to capitalize on Marvel's successful business formula, the MonsterVerse is probably the best one of the bunch.

All four films thus far have been, at the least, entertaining.

G14 was an old school, atmospheric, monster flick with an explosive climactic battle that successfully reintroduced Godzilla after a 10 year absence. It had some issues with the writing (killing off Cranston too soon for example), but came through when it counted.

Skull Island was a savage and violent descent into hell with an all star cast that also broke Kong out of his usual routine. Again, it had some issues with the writing (certain things with the characters weren't properly paid off) but the overall experience worked out well.

KOTM was a monster free-for-all starring some of the biggest monster-stars in the franchise. Seeing Godzilla, Ghidorah, Mothra, and Rodan all in one movie made for quite the spectacle that elevated the film above its weaknesses (too much rain and darkness for example).

GVK was a fun and colorful action packed romp that, at the very least, gave the two big stars the spotlight they deserve. The plot is paper thin, but a solid enough framework to give Godzilla and Kong centerstage, so it worked.

In a day and age where modern reboots and returns are often divisive and controversial (Star Wars, Masters of the Universe, Ghostbusters, DC), the MonsterVerse has stayed pretty consistent in being like "Hey, you like Godzilla and Kong? Well here you go!"

I won't say any of the MV films are among my favorites (though Skull Island and GVK are two of the better Kong movies out there) and my heart will always go with the homemade, practical special effects of the past, but as entertaining romps with some of my favorite monsters, these movies do the trick.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

GoKelley86 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:57 am Of all the shared universes trying to capitalize on Marvel's successful business formula, the MonsterVerse is probably the best one of the bunch.

All four films thus far have been, at the least, entertaining.

G14 was an old school, atmospheric, monster flick with an explosive climactic battle that successfully reintroduced Godzilla after a 10 year absence. It had some issues with the writing (killing off Cranston too soon for example), but came through when it counted.

Skull Island was a savage and violent descent into hell with an all star cast that also broke Kong out of his usual routine. Again, it had some issues with the writing (certain things with the characters weren't properly paid off) but the overall experience worked out well.

KOTM was a monster free-for-all starring some of the biggest monster-stars in the franchise. Seeing Godzilla, Ghidorah, Mothra, and Rodan all in one movie made for quite the spectacle that elevated the film above its weaknesses (too much rain and darkness for example).

GVK was a fun and colorful action packed romp that, at the very least, gave the two big stars the spotlight they deserve. The plot is paper thin, but a solid enough framework to give Godzilla and Kong centerstage, so it worked.

In a day and age where modern reboots and returns are often divisive and controversial (Star Wars, Masters of the Universe, Ghostbusters, DC), the MonsterVerse has stayed pretty consistent in being like "Hey, you like Godzilla and Kong? Well here you go!"

I won't say any of the MV films are among my favorites (though Skull Island and GVK are two of the better Kong movies out there) and my heart will always go with the homemade, practical special effects of the past, but as entertaining romps with some of my favorite monsters, these movies do the trick.
Ditto

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

the MV HAS certainly nailed Kong.

Added in 1 minute 52 seconds:
Legion1979 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:13 am Yes, I'm really doing this.
Why did Legion of all people create this thread ;)

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

king_ghidorah wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:38 pm the MV HAS certainly nailed Kong.
I've stated this before elsewhere, but I firmly believe that all the Kong-content in the MV, including the most recent animated series, has revitalized Kong in a contemporary way for the better. The original King Kong 1933 will always be a classic, an important part of American cinema, but it's incredibly outdated, in regards towards its attitude towards the "other", people of color, and women. While progressive for its time, in perhaps having a well-intended take on conservationism, it's a film that is very dated.

The Monsterverse, and the Kong content, is the first film/media that feels like it has "evolved" Kong as a character beyond a tragic figure and a mere beauty and the beast scenario. It is not that these films, tv shows, and comics, aren't without their own problems, but in contrast to the past it feels like a great leap forward. I feel like it was Spuro who stated it once, that he was glad the MV moved away from "rapist" Kong.

I'm in agreement that the MV has nailed Kong, and made me more interested in King Kong, both as a film character, a cultural icon, and a monster.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Yep!

It’s great that Kong has finally risen to a place where he can equal Godzilla in terms of just having episodic monster mash movies finally and amazingly, it still feels true to the character too.

MV Kong is my favorite Kong and it’s not even close. He’s a great mash up of the western and Japanese takes on the character.

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:39 pm The original King Kong 1933 will always be a classic, an important part of American cinema, but it's incredibly outdated, in regards towards its attitude towards the "other", people of color, and women. While progressive for its time, in perhaps having a well-intended take on conservationism, it's a film that is very dated.
With all due respect i strongly disagree with this take. Just because our society has changed so much in the nearly 100 years since the film came out we can't just write it off as a "dated" film. It's still a piece of art. IMO this kind of thinking can lead to censorship of art and media from long periods ago. Just because what was acceptable then that isn't now does not mean there was any malicious intent behind it.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Titanus_Rodan wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:15 am
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:39 pm The original King Kong 1933 will always be a classic, an important part of American cinema, but it's incredibly outdated, in regards towards its attitude towards the "other", people of color, and women. While progressive for its time, in perhaps having a well-intended take on conservationism, it's a film that is very dated.
With all due respect i strongly disagree with this take. Just because our society has changed so much in the nearly 100 years since the film came out we can't just write it off as a "dated" film. It's still a piece of art. IMO this kind of thinking can lead to censorship of art and media from long periods ago. Just because what was acceptable then that isn't now does not mean there was any malicious intent behind it.
Did I ever say Kong ‘33 wasn’t art? Or that we shouldn’t hold it in high regard? ;)

The point I was making had nothing to do with censorship, I’m in full agreement with you. I was just making a point that the MV has done a good job at updating and removing Kong for more modern audiences.