Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:27 pm
StardustGenius wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:15 pm I didn't notice the Bandai Destoroyahs until someone brought it up years later. If I were to compare the two scenes side by side, the horse puppet scene is much worse visually. Those puppets are still bad in 1965.
You seem really determined to make a point here. Can I ask what is it with Heisei fans who hear criticism of those films and have this need to go after films that are decades old and scream "Look, look, those effects suck too!"?
Showa and Heisei fans both take jabs at each other its nothing new.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

darthzilla99 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:27 pm And why is Tsuburaya's reasoning of "it's more interesting/entertaining/funny" a more valid artistic reason than Kawakita's time constraints reasons for the bandai Destroyah aggregates?
You answer your own question here. Tsuburaya used a puppet as an intentional artistic choice. That doesn't mean it looks good, but it's the filmmaker expressing his own artistic vision on his own terms. And having fun.

Kawakita, meanwhile, used Bandai figures because Toho forced him to churn the movie out at top speed and that was all he had time for. It's probably not his fault, it's Toho's fault for not giving a crap, but it's a lousy effect because it's a make-do solution that shouldn't have been necessary.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Rikidozan is the man of course

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Oh I like the discussion comparing King Kong/Skull Island islands. One comment said the mire squid was pointless and I dunno I kind of disagree since it fleshes Kong a bit...it shows one way he gets his food.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

StardustGenius wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:30 pm Rikidozan is the man of course
I just finally looked up who Rikidozan was. To his humble upbringings in North Korea(!), to moving to Japan and becoming a wrestler and businessman, before getting stabbed by yakuza members and dying due to eating too much sushi and drinking, I can say he definitely lived one hell of a life.
daveblackeye15 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:39 pm Oh I like the discussion comparing King Kong/Skull Island islands. One comment said the mire squid was pointless and I dunno I kind of disagree since it fleshes Kong a bit...it shows one way he gets his food.
If people want, we could just make a seperate thread for it, and I'll merge the posts. I'm personally mixed. I think the old Skull Islands were great with darkness and atmosphere, but that the newer ones just feel like Southest Asia. However, I prefer the switch up, and love KSI.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:43 pm
StardustGenius wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:30 pm Rikidozan is the man of course
I just finally looked up who Rikidozan was. To his humble upbringings in North Korea(!), to moving to Japan and becoming a wrestler and businessman, before getting stabbed by yakuza members and dying due to eating too much sushi and drinking, I can say he definitely lived one hell of a life.
daveblackeye15 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:39 pm Oh I like the discussion comparing King Kong/Skull Island islands. One comment said the mire squid was pointless and I dunno I kind of disagree since it fleshes Kong a bit...it shows one way he gets his food.
If people want, we could just make a seperate thread for it, and I'll merge the posts. I'm personally mixed. I think the old Skull Islands were great with darkness and atmosphere, but that the newer ones just feel like Southest Asia. However, I prefer the switch up, and love KSI.
He was the biggest Japanese star of the 50s and early 60s in any kind of media. His wrestling matches drew an 87% TV audience share. That's nuts. Imagine that.

On the subject of Skull Island, the only way I care it's portrayed is if it has giant prehistoric, or strange fauna. Kong 76's Skull Island disappointed me so badly as a kid, that I will uncritically accept any kind of Skull Island that boasts more than just a giant snake.
Last edited by StardustGenius on Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Who’s Rikidozan? Is he an actor? A user?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

He was a sumo and professional wrestler, businessman, and celebrity in Japan.

As for Skull Island, the original does have a foreboding feel. KSI's island lacked the atmosphere, but it did make it feel like a place where humans will never rule. That's the heart of Skull Island imo. It's a place where nature is in charge and modern man is an intruder, especially when we try to exploit it or master it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Excellent points on the Skull Island matter from all of you. Honestly, looking back at it I don’t really think either is better than the other in this case- each one of the main prominent appearances of the locations has something unique to offer atmospherically and appearance wise- 33’s foreboding mistiness, 05’s ancient, untamed wilderness and KSI’s deceptive serenity. They are all different but each one works for the type of story they are telling, and end up bringing new stuff to the table.

Except for 1976 skull island that shit legitimately sucked lol.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

76 Skull Island would jave been good, had Kong and that snake not been the only animals on it. The setting the filmmakers chose for it was fantastic, but without the dinosaurs, it just didn't feel alive.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:40 pm I had to come straight here after seeing it on Twitter. Two fans are angry and hate the Monsterverse because it made Godzilla a swimmer. One person says they need to deshark him and the other says Godzilla was better as an ocean walker and swimming makes him seem less powerful/realistic/scary.
That's so funny because Godzilla DOES walk on the ocean floor in Dominion :lol:

Image Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The above post bears one question: When he walks on the sea floor, does his fitbit measure it in miles of nautical miles?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

edgaguirus wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:49 pm The above post bears one question: When he walks on the sea floor, does his fitbit measure it in miles of nautical miles?
Hopefully there’s a helpful little app installed so he can see both numbers.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

When it comes to Kaiju and water I just learned long ago it's best not to ask questions lol

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

godjacob wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:32 pm When it comes to Kaiju and water I just learned long ago it's best not to ask questions lol
No no, Godzilla floating at mid thigh level?? HAS TO RUIN THE ENTIRE MOVIE IT CAN'T BE BECAUSE OF SOME REASON LIKE HIM BEING BOUYANT OR ANYTHING THIS IS BAD NO MORE GOJILLER
Image Image

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

KingKong2005 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:33 pm
godjacob wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:32 pm When it comes to Kaiju and water I just learned long ago it's best not to ask questions lol
No no, Godzilla floating at mid thigh level?? HAS TO RUIN THE ENTIRE MOVIE IT CAN'T BE BECAUSE OF SOME REASON LIKE HIM BEING BOUYANT OR ANYTHING THIS IS BAD NO MORE GOJILLER
Obviously it’s completely normal for a reptile to grow over 100 meters tall, shoot radioactive energy out of its mouth and be virtually impervious to modern weaponry, but FLOATING!? Hell nah you crossed the line shorties, prepare to get the Gondozillus license revoked smh my head.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

shadowgigan wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:02 pm Were they also against it in Biollante or G2K?
Nah the posters in question seem to have selectively forgotten any instance of Godzilla shown swimming properly in previous Toho films lol.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Dv-218 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:19 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:02 pm Were they also against it in Biollante or G2K?
Nah the posters in question seem to have selectively forgotten any instance of Godzilla shown swimming properly in previous Toho films lol.
But the MV turned Godzilla into a SHARKKKKK. IMO, its preposterous to think Godzilla never swam in a crocodillian-like manner, even if you ignore those two scenes (and GMK in one scene I think).

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

shadowgigan wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:30 pm
Dv-218 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:19 pm
But the MV turned Godzilla into a SHARKKKKK. IMO, its preposterous to think Godzilla never swam in a crocodillian-like manner, even if you ignore those two scenes (and GMK in one scene I think).
Gmk and he swims like that in Return of Godzilla and Godzilla vs the sea monster.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image