Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: New Godzilla Series On Apple TV+

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Really curious how this is gonna play out. Godzilla in a TV show makes me hope we're actually gonna get cool character stuff, and maybe explore some of the interesting ideas the Monsterverse has intermittently mentioned and never explored, like SF being taken over my nature or the other Titans from KOTM.
Also curious how much of this show will be establishing new things to be explored in future movies.
I'm kinda hoping this show does to the Godzilla side of the Monsterverse what Mando did for Disney Star Wars.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

It has a lot of potential on all fronts, especially due to it apparently fleshing out both the 1950s timeframe and the post 2014 one to tie up certain elements in this universe if what KDM says is correct. Excited to see what they have in store, I think it has a chance to be a good bridge between G14 and the rest of the MV tonally and in addition present a spanning storyline thanks to the series format.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

I've been thinking a lot about the monster action for this series. For a while I've been suspecting it might either really bad cgi or pitifully short sequences. But I was just watching some action clips on CW Superman show, and was impressed by it. It looked pretty good. I'm starting to really look forward to this.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I just wish we would start to get more information on these projects. This secretive crap is annoying.

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

Maverick Centigrade wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:59 pm I've been thinking a lot about the monster action for this series. For a while I've been suspecting it might either really bad cgi or pitifully short sequences. But I was just watching some action clips on CW Superman show, and was impressed by it. It looked pretty good. I'm starting to really look forward to this.
CGI in high budget TV has gotten a lot better in recent years, just look at HOTD and Prehistoric Planet. Ofc there will most likely be a few iffy shots, that just happens.

I kinda hope that they have more solo monster rampages than monster brawls, I feel like those usually lean more into natural incorporation of human characters (the monster is in direct conflict with the humans, rather than another monster).

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

According to KDM some episodes are picture locked now minus some VFX shots. So we're progressing.

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

my cynical side knows it may not be that good and will just be a cheap action show cashing into the name

my dumbass 15 year old brain loves goddzilla 2014 and wants it to be good and injected directly into my veins

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Look on the bright side, it can't be any worse than the recent Godzilla animated films and series, and certainly not as bad as the Mandelorian season 3 or Star Trek Picard/Discovery.....right, Legendary???? -_- :sigh:
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

MikeSTZillak2000
Young Farmer

Post by MikeSTZillak2000 »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:02 am According to KDM some episodes are picture locked now minus some VFX shots. So we're progressing.
Wonder how much of them are picture locked.

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

Just gonna say this…. It would be so fucking dope if this released the same year as Cobra Kai Season 6. Definitely way more hyped for Cobra Kai at the moment, but I wanna wait for a trailer for this one before making any judgements
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:54 am Look on the bright side, it can't be any worse than the recent Godzilla animated films and series, and certainly not as bad as the Mandelorian season 3 or Star Trek Picard/Discovery.....right, Legendary???? -_- :sigh:
Yes, it can. We could get something like the initial divide over Agents of SHIELD, where a lot of viewers expected constant references to superhero characters and ended up profoundly disappointed it had virtually none of that. If viewers coming in expecting monster action and get a bunch of MONARCH agents squabbling, it won't go down well, especially considering the AppleTV+ price tag.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Picard Season 3 was pretty good, just saying.

We know very little, but I think the fact that they had outdoor sets and were shooting in Tokyo is indicative of quality. At the very least it probably won’t feel super cheap. We don’t know how much money they’re pouring into this, but it’s worth mentioning that TV/Streaming shows seem roughly on par with budget/what they can do as big movies.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:21 am Picard Season 3 was pretty good, just saying.

We know very little, but I think the fact that they had outdoor sets and were shooting in Tokyo is indicative of quality. At the very least it probably won’t feel super cheap. We don’t know how much money they’re pouring into this, but it’s worth mentioning that TV/Streaming shows seem roughly on par with budget/what they can do as big movies.
Not only that, but I have quite a bit of faith with Matt Shakman. He did fantastic things with WandaVision, and say what you want about the finale (which is stuff I agree with), it's probably one of the best D+ Marvel series, in a good way.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Gojira2K wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:56 amNot only that, but I have quite a bit of faith with Matt Shakman. He did fantastic things with WandaVision, and say what you want about the finale (which is stuff I agree with), it's probably one of the best D+ Marvel series, in a good way.
I loved Wandavision when it first aired. In light of where the storyline headed afterward, it's hard for me to look at it as anything good. It's basically an indictment of anyone who was ever liked a sitcom in their life and a crazy woman's spiral into madness. Nobody learns anything by the end and any pathos in the story feels cancelled out by Wanda's subsequent behavior. So my faith in Shakman is pretty low.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

JVM wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:05 pm
Gojira2K wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:56 amNot only that, but I have quite a bit of faith with Matt Shakman. He did fantastic things with WandaVision, and say what you want about the finale (which is stuff I agree with), it's probably one of the best D+ Marvel series, in a good way.
I loved Wandavision when it first aired. In light of where the storyline headed afterward, it's hard for me to look at it as anything good. It's basically an indictment of anyone who was ever liked a sitcom in their life and a crazy woman's spiral into madness. Nobody learns anything by the end and any pathos in the story feels cancelled out by Wanda's subsequent behavior. So my faith in Shakman is pretty low.
See, I think that was more of a Marvel Phase 4 issue, than a Shakman issue. He had absolutely nothing to do with anything that happened afterwards, that was Marvel rushing Multiverse of Madness thing. From a directorial and show runner standpoint, I Shakman did a fantastic job making WandaVision. I do think it’s a little unfair to criticize for something he had no involvement in.
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

People need to separate the director from the work nowadays. In today's day and age, especially with these big tentpole franchise films and shows, there's a lot more executive meddling than there used to be. Why has every Phase 4 MCU movie, with the exception of No Way Home, been forgettable as all hell? Right, because there's more to it than just the directors

Added in 1 minute 21 seconds:
And honestly, I never 100% trust any director to give us a satisfying product. Nobody on this planet is perfect. Case-in-point, Taika Waititi with Thor: Ragnarok is phenomenal while Love and Thunder is hot garbage.
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Handsome Shrek wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:24 pm People need to separate the director from the work nowadays. In today's day and age, especially with these big tentpole franchise films and shows, there's a lot more executive meddling than there used to be. Why has every Phase 4 MCU movie, with the exception of No Way Home, been forgettable as all hell? Right, because there's more to it than just the directors

Added in 1 minute 21 seconds:
And honestly, I never 100% trust any director to give us a satisfying product. Nobody on this planet is perfect. Case-in-point, Taika Waititi with Thor: Ragnarok is phenomenal while Love and Thunder is hot garbage.
Agree to disagree. Directors do matter and executive meddling or not usually there's some distinction, stylistically or otherwise. Taika Waititi is a good example of this actually. And Dr. Strange and the Multiverse of Madness is distinctly a Sam Raimi film. Shang-Chi has a clear vision as well. James Gunn is another fantastic example. Despite big labels of everything being samey, there are clear syllistic differences, just that those differences get washed down by larger parts of corporations. The main issue is that they all loosely follow the same formula, but thats part of genre fiction to begin with. See what happens when you put a bad director in a directing chair, with zero vision, and see what you get.

I agree that not everyone is perfect, but some directors are "more perfect" than others.

That being said, I am once again going to say that its ridiculous to compare the MCU to the Monsterverse once again, and whatever happens with the Apple TV+ show will be a different beast entirely.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Gojira2K wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:17 pmSee, I think that was more of a Marvel Phase 4 issue, than a Shakman issue. He had absolutely nothing to do with anything that happened afterwards, that was Marvel rushing Multiverse of Madness thing. From a directorial and show runner standpoint, I Shakman did a fantastic job making WandaVision. I do think it’s a little unfair to criticize for something he had no involvement in.
I could potentially believe that.

To understand me better though, I was under the impression he (though it may have been another individual) had been made aware Wanda was going to be an antagonist in the next film, and you could see how that would justify my thought process.

It's been very confusing to me, because Wandavision and Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness feel like they have completely opposite goals of one another, but I saw nothing but positive feedback for both projects; and unlike some conflicting cases like mv films, I've not really seen people arguing one approach was or wasn't superior.

Also, my bad as someone who complains constantly about Marvel comparisons for somewhat creating one!

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

JVM wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:14 pm
Gojira2K wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:17 pmSee, I think that was more of a Marvel Phase 4 issue, than a Shakman issue. He had absolutely nothing to do with anything that happened afterwards, that was Marvel rushing Multiverse of Madness thing. From a directorial and show runner standpoint, I Shakman did a fantastic job making WandaVision. I do think it’s a little unfair to criticize for something he had no involvement in.
I could potentially believe that.

To understand me better though, I was under the impression he (though it may have been another individual) had been made aware Wanda was going to be an antagonist in the next film, and you could see how that would justify my thought process.

It's been very confusing to me, because Wandavision and Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness feel like they have completely opposite goals of one another, but I saw nothing but positive feedback for both projects; and unlike some conflicting cases like mv films, I've not really seen people arguing one approach was or wasn't superior.

Also, my bad as someone who complains constantly about Marvel comparisons for somewhat creating one!
You might be thinking of Michael Waldron who was one of the writers for Loki, who also wrote Multiverse of Madness. Multiverse of Madness had the issue of being quite rushed and did not have near enough time for the people working to actually make a good film (which is something that could be said most every Marvel since Phase 4 started). Which is the reason I think there is such a disconnect between WandaVision and Multiverse of Madness. It just wasn't thought out enough.

I find that interesting that you've positive feedback for Multiverse of Madness, because I've kind of seen the opposite. From what I have personally seen, Multiverse of Madness has usually been considered one of the more mid to lower films of Phase 4, only really saved by Sam Raimi's directing style. And WandaVision is pretty well liked except for the last episode where it turns into your typical Marvel final battle.

All good. In all fairness, when the main showrunner has worked on a Marvel series, the comparison is going to come up, whether that's fair to Shakman or not.
Last edited by Gojira2K on Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Gojira2K wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:12 pmI find that interesting that you've positive feedback for Multiverse of Madness, because I've kind of seen the opposite. From what I have personally seen, Multiverse of Madness has usually been considered one of the more mid to lower films of Phase 4, only really saved by Sam Raimi's directing style.
I expressed my lack of interest the day after it came out and got chewed out online as one of those mindless Marvel fan drones who can't tolerate anything that deviates from the standard formula and as "part of the problem" because Sam Raimi's directing style would be so different and elevate it since he was a "real director". I had a few less personal but similar experiences to the effect that this was a very unique, out-of-the-box movie and that I should appreciate it more for not adhering to the formula. I've with absolute certainty seen more praise for it than any non-Spiderman movie in ph4; whether that reflects general opinion, I can't say, but I am definitely not misstating my individual experience there. I've still not seen it but I was still considering it up to that point, just to give it an honest chance, but getting talked down to repeatedly about it repeatedly just killed any interest I had, and put me off Marvel for several months.

I did like Wandavision[/b] beginning to end, including most of the finale. I definitely agreed with some of the criticisms and I think I had one issue that other people did not, but my expectations were a lot more limited than a lot of people.