Definitive: “How would you feel about X”

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Definitive: “How would you feel about X”

Post by edgaguirus »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:34 pm HWYFA :

1. A new version of Ghidorah that did not need wings to fly and instead purely relied on anti-gravity powers instead. They could substitute his wings for some other organ that won't make him such an easy target.
2. Going off of #1, Ghidorah did not have eyes since he's always flying in the vacuum of space.
3. They armed Jet Jaguar with Nunchaku?
4. They brought back the Infant Island natives?
1 and 2. It would make Ghidorah seem otherworldly. Making him more alien also might make the space dragon more frightening.
3. That could work, or a kusarigama.
4. I would like to see that.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

HWYFA

1. An 80's Tokyo set period piece Godzilla film, one where we see kaiju illuminated by neon lights?
2. A kaiju film or TV series set in the aftermath of an attack or battle where we focus on interconnected plots about people dealing with the aftermath and rebuilding, where we don't see any [living] kaiju save on footage screens (eg news reports)?
3. A Godzilla film spoofing the greater franchise in the style of Mel Brooks or ZAZ?
Last edited by Al Diplodocus on Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Al Diplodocus wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:31 pm HWYFA

1. An 80's Tokyo set period piece Godzilla film, one where we see kaiju illuminated by neon lights?
2. A kaiju film or TV series set in the aftermath of an attack or battle where we focus on interconnected plots about people dealing with the aftermath and rebuilding, where we don't see any [living] kaiju save on footage screens (eg news reports)?
3. A Godzilla film spoofing the greater franchise in the style of Mel Brooks or ZAZ?
1. Another take on The Return Of Godzilla? Hmm... I think there's something to do there in that setting again (with Bagan!). There were a lot of other things going on in Japan outside Cold War anxiety in the 80s. Lots of economic hubris happening.
2. We've seen that a few times, lately!
3. Spoofs are risky business but I wouldn't mind a more black comedy take a concept like The Return Of Godzilla, or Shin Godzilla. Shin had some subtle moments of that, but something akin to Dr. Strangelove is something I'd like. Also, if you're gonna go with ZAZ, I'd prefer something with inept aliens in over their head on a not so secret invasion of Earth. Something along the lines of Ruthless People would be funny. An outright spoof would bee tricky to do. Less Scary Movie and Naked Gun, and more Ruthless People. Ultraman's done self parody series so who knows.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Al Diplodocus wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:31 pm HWYFA

1. Like in G vs K? It'd be an interesting visual.
2. It sounds like a good drama that would explore an aspect of kaiju events that are seldom told.
3. Monster X Strikes Back was an effective and silly spoof, so I think it could work. The main thing would be to find the right writer and director that could pull it off.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

PuzzledAmphibian
Monsterland Worker

Post by PuzzledAmphibian »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:34 pm HWYFA :

3. They armed Jet Jaguar with Nunchaku?
Sounds incredible, whacky in the best way possible!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

HWYFA:

A modern Godzilla movie shares continuity with an older Toho movie(s) and uses CGI to recreate past monster scenes as a modern stock footage equivalent?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

HWYFA :

1. They brought back the Gargantuas, only to have them tied thematically to Frankenstein rather than in a literal sense.
2. They rebooted the Seatopians, only to have them the same species as the Nebulans instead of humans? It would explain how they were able to get Gigan and maybe the Nebulans are their spacefaring offshoot.
3. They introduced a new quadrupedal Kaiju for Godzilla to fight?
4. A Kaiju-attack on Easter Island?

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:25 pm HWYFA :

1. They brought back the Gargantuas, only to have them tied thematically to Frankenstein rather than in a literal sense.
2. They rebooted the Seatopians, only to have them the same species as the Nebulans instead of humans? It would explain how they were able to get Gigan and maybe the Nebulans are their spacefaring offshoot.
1. Their connection to Frankenstein always seemed more thematic than literal. If you were to show Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein and a gargantua to someone who had never seen FCtW or WotG, they wouldn’t guess the two were tied together. Even the connection to Toho’s Frankenstein is hard to explain to a new viewer given how different he looks from a gargantua.

2. I think the reverse would be more interesting – if the Seatopians were the Nebulans’ first successful colony on Earth. Settling underground would be a clever strategy for avoiding the attention of the military or Godzilla. I have to wonder how successful the Mysterians would have been if they had stayed underground.

3. Quadrupedal opponents tend to be awkward to battle. Godzilla’s best battles are with bipedal opponents who can hit and grab.

4. Granted that Easter Island has historical and cultural significance, I’m not sure what Godzilla’s motivation would be to defend it. Unless you’re imagining something like Space Amoeba where the kaiju are trying to get a foothold in a remote corner of the Earth before moving on to more significant targets? I think it would be more interesting if a larger population was threatened.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Keep in mind, Gamera faced off against 3 quadrupedal foes in the Showa era and even then they gave him a ton of trouble.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:41 am HWYFA:

A modern Godzilla movie shares continuity with an older Toho movie(s) and uses CGI to recreate past monster scenes as a modern stock footage equivalent?
I'd personally love this. No reason we can't revisit classic continuities sometime.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:41 am HWYFA:

I would be completely cool with that. Was always fond of the prospect to revisit old timelines like Showa, Heisei etc in new ways.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

That Showa MechaGhidorah premise is hella fun. Someone adapt THAT!

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

1. I'd be fine with it. Backstory would already be complicated if it retained the Frankenstein thing.
2. Fine with that too
3. Would probably need CG rather then suitmation to work right depending on what kind of creature is used, but would like indeed.
4. Cool, especially if a Polynesian myth-based kaiju is used.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

1. Frank's movie is rather obscure, but if you could give some kind of backstory in the beginning, it might work. Or just call them Frankenstein like the Japanese version does.
2 and 4. If I recall, there was a connection made between Easter Island and the Seatopians. You could have the Seatopians as inhabitants of the holllow Earth, and Easter Island is one of the points leading to the surface world. They would use the island as a base for their invasion.
3. It doesn't matter it has two legs or eight. I'll take any new kaiju.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent

Post by Al Diplodocus »

HWYFA if instead of using Atomic Breath as a finisher, Godzilla instead dragged an opponent underwater and performed a death roll on it like a crocodile does, ripping the body apart while alive?
Last edited by Al Diplodocus on Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Would be completely down for that. It would make for a fantastic finisher for an underwater or shoreline scuffle honestly.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

Al Diplodocus wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:18 pm HWYFA if instead of using Atomic Breath as a finisher, Godzilla instead dragged an opponent underwater and performed a death roll on it like a crocodile does, ripping the body apart while alive?
Fuck yeahp! :godzilla2021:

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

Al Diplodocus wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:18 pm HWYFA if instead of using Atomic Breath as a finisher, Godzilla instead dragged an opponent underwater and performed a death roll on it like a crocodile does, ripping the body apart while alive?
Hedorah would have won.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Didn't Zilla do something like that to the King Cobra?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

HWYFI :

1. Mothra laid a clutch of 40-50 eggs instead of one big one? Like a real moth.
2. Mothra formed a cocoon around one of Japan’s historic castles, like in Osaka?
3. A rebooted version of Varan tied with the extinct Emishi people and culture? It would make sense because both are from the Tohoku region.
4. A Novel-accurate adaptation of Atragon?
5. Toho had a corporate merger with another major Japanese company?