Could the MUTOs (& other Titans) be aliens? What do you think?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Could the MUTOs (& other Titans) be aliens? What do you think?

Post by Gojira1604 »

"The MUTOs are essentially the xenomorphs of their universe. Which also begs the question, they're not of this world are they? I know Gareth played with the idea for a little while because he wanted some kind of bug mammal combination which is super cool, but some say there's no way they thrived throughout ancient history without demolishing most of history itself." I think it's Godzilla's species which kept them in check.
I personally like the idea of them being amphibians that evolved from placoderms but they do make a pretty great alien creature design.

Voyager
Keizer

Re: Could the MUTOs (& other Titans) be aliens? What do you think?

Post by Voyager »

I’ve always thought they were a bug-mammal hybrid :shrug:
For Emperor and Empire!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The Mutos do look a bit alien, but their 6 limbs and body design look arthropod to me.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

I love the idea of them being a sister group of land vertebrates since they dont have the tetrapod body plan of four limbs, it ties well with g14 idea ancient animal without any living relatives that are close (g14 is not a dinosaur but a synapsid with *gills*)

we might put other 4+ limbed vertebrates in their same group on the MV if such exist

LindenHS
Monarch Researcher

Post by LindenHS »

No they are not aliens… it’s straight up said they are native and evolved naturally. The Jinshin-Mushi (actual name for the MUTO) are related to early mammals.

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

see thats canon and all and is perfectly fine but its absolute horse shit about being related to mammals, godzilla as a synapsid hell just a normal based tetrapod would be closer to mammals

Handsome Shrek
JXSDF Technician

Post by Handsome Shrek »

There’s zero explanation for what specific taxa Godzilla or the MUTOs belong to. We know Godzilla is a taxon of prehistoric reptile but that’s all the canon explanation gives. Bear in mind this is a universe where three headed dragons exist, so it’s really up to your own interpretation

Didn’t Godzilla Awakening essentially break established canon anyways? There’s no established lore in the films explaining what geologic era his species was dominant. In my opinion, the films are the ultimate canon. Just like how Star Wars Episodes 1-6 are the ultimate canon. Godzilla is a crocodylomorph in my opinion; Awakening showed sailboats during the Permian Period, so that already kinda destroys all faith I have in that content as canon.

As for the MUTO’s, well obviously nothing like that even exists in the first place. It’s all up to your own interpretation.
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I feel like the Mutos being aliens kind of defeats the point of them? I know it's not really specified but the whole film builds this ecological balance between the two creatures. Making them extra terrestrial just is silly.
He Jock it Made of Steel

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:51 pm I feel like the Mutos being aliens kind of defeats the point of them? I know it's not really specified but the whole film builds this ecological balance between the two creatures. Making them extra terrestrial just is silly.
Yeah and we already have the "invasive species" aspect with Ghidorah. Changing them to aliens does nothing for them.

I don't really care if the Titan stuff seems a bit outlandish or some of the biology doesn't make sense/adhere to evolutionary biology. Spoiler, the Hollow Earth and tons of other stuff is equally unscientific. I don't know why Godzilla, the Titans, or any other creatures here need a fair amount of scuntiny or try to be relaistic. This is all to say that there's no reason or need for them to be aliens just because they aren't similar to real-world creatures.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LindenHS
Monarch Researcher

Post by LindenHS »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:58 pm
Jetty_Jags wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:51 pm I feel like the Mutos being aliens kind of defeats the point of them? I know it's not really specified but the whole film builds this ecological balance between the two creatures. Making them extra terrestrial just is silly.
Yeah and we already have the "invasive species" aspect with Ghidorah. Changing them to aliens does nothing for them.

I don't really care if the Titan stuff seems a bit outlandish or some of the biology doesn't make sense/adhere to evolutionary biology. Spoiler, the Hollow Earth and tons of other stuff is equally unscientific. I don't know why Godzilla, the Titans, or any other creatures here need a fair amount of scuntiny or try to be relaistic. This is all to say that there's no reason or need for them to be aliens just because they aren't similar to real-world creatures.
Minus the square cube law…
Actually most Titans are based on dialed up real life biology, Rodan is the best example with biology based on extremophile bacteria and volcano snails (a deep sea snail with Biomineral chemistry and lives in volcanoes: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... snail.html).

Behemoth and Methuselah as well. Biomineral armor and internal chemistry is a real thing in arthropods mostly. It’s an old subject that has started becoming more studied recently.

Amhuluk actually is the only one that I have trouble figuring out… but he is more alien then Ghidorah even, and he is confirmed to be native.
I just classify him as “WTF” on the same tree as fish because that’s what he is based on…

Added in 3 minutes 33 seconds:
Janjira-York wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:48 pm see thats canon and all and is perfectly fine but its absolute horse shit about being related to mammals, godzilla as a synapsid hell just a normal based tetrapod would be closer to mammals
I have a post I made on discord years ago that I gotta find that actually explains it…
But dumbed down version:
They are not MODERN mammals, probably by related it means they are from a very old branch that due to isolation in the HE changed… I mean the HE made Amhuluk so.. yeah.

If I had to guess I’d say Mammals was used as a general term and may have included Mammal-Like Reptiles, which is a common error.

They lay eggs like early mammals did…

Added in 1 minute 30 seconds:
Agreed!
I mean Amhuluk is confirmed native and… I mean.. *wild arm gestures to point at the telekinetic brain thing animating a plant golem*

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

My point wasn't that the Titan's don't take inspiration from various real-world life forms, just that worrying so much about realism or trying to create a legitimate reason of to why something seems a bit odd, is a useless endeavor when a major plot element in the films is the Hollow Earth.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LindenHS
Monarch Researcher

Post by LindenHS »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:41 pm My point wasn't that the Titan's don't take inspiration from various real-world life forms, just that worrying so much about realism or trying to create a legitimate reason of to why something seems a bit odd, is a useless endeavor when a major plot element in the films is the Hollow Earth.
Most do though.. even Amhuluk is based on Deep Sea fish. Behemoth is a Chalicotherium. Tiamat is a snake or eel.
All Titans evolved from native species and are species themselves.

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

I’ve always thought of MUTOs as an off shoot of placoderms that made the transition to land

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

SEE Im not getting mad and I can 100% go away with the sci fi mumbo jumbo bs with the nuclear reptile, flying alien dragon and all :P

but I would like to express my idea a bit more in detail if you are all willing to hear, that they are non tetrapod vertebrates, tldr four limbed fishes irl related to things like the coelacanth eventually give raise to amphybians, reptiles (diapsids and synapsids) from there you get the synapsids that are mammal like dimetrodon gorgonopsid and eventually mammals and the other branch goes into archosauria who contains crocodriles dinosaurs and birds and the thing is all of these dont just GROW limbs, they can lose them snakes, several kinds of lizards, cetaceans and sirenids, that weird limbless amphibian that looks like a worm you get it. Godzilla, rodan and most of the titans fit into this, with Godzilla being older than the dinosaurs and you know thinks like gills and weird mammal like stuff you could fit it into synapsids (and I was sure at some point it is hinted in some supplementary material? maybe?)

I like the mutos as this VERY FUCKING WEIRD species, from an ancient sibling lineage of tetrapods (inda like what monke's fan headcanon idea fits into this) that convergently evolved into mammal like characteristics, but also well have more limbs, have a parasitic nature, their young develop into this weird larval stage like some fishes do, have FKN compound eyes, Bioluminisence, an internal endoskeleton, leather hide , a pregnant belly with eggs but already developing young before insemination and other WEIRD shit, I like them as this very ancient weird predator that could give the apex predator species a run for its money and that while being very much ''alien'' being genuinely from earth, a shadowy sibling to all of the more ''''normal''' vertebrate life on the planet from an iguana, yourselves and godzilla

also yeeeeeah invasive species is ghidorah's mojo it would be lame that the balance of nature of the ecosystem of 2014 was suddenly cut by : nah they aliens bro

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^I myself am pretty biased towards biological accuracy.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

I've always considered that the Mutos were related to hagfish

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The Muto's exact place in evolution was never meant to be clear. We can take a look at their biology and come up with ideas, but it's not important to the MV to reveal the family tree. Plus, it's more fun to speculate and debate what the heck they are.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

I don't think an alien origin the original intent in the 2014 film, but if the MV ever does an alien arc I could see it being retroactively added as a backround detail.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I wouldn't be against some off shoot theories and such, but leaving such things as vague as possible. Remember, even in the real word, there's people that believe octopus are an alien species. Just google it.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

dude people call anything thats not a domestic animal or even any wild animal that isnt a well known mammal ''pokemon'' for being exotic'' lol

yeah i get your point, some people are like that fore some reason