Super7 Godzilla Line

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
o.supreme
Futurian

Re: Super7 Godzilla Line

Post by o.supreme »

That's interesting about the screen accurate POV. Especially as a kid from the late 70's/80s that grew up with Transformers. Often they didn't look like they did in the cartoon. We acknowledged it, but then still bought the toys anyway. It didn't deter our enjoyment. Now they have Studio Series that goes for super screen accuracy, which is cool, but not essential.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Gojirasaur wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:26 am
Angilasman wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:58 am These ReAction figures aren't for me, but I gotta say: seeing a little display of them at my local comic shop made me super happy. If I was a kid today I'd love them for being able to give me a wide variety of characters at a small size.
I think, as a kid, I'd moan and scream if I got one of these and not a 5 Points XL set. The Super 7 style is meant to be the kind of alternative kitsch that adults can appreciate alongside screen-accurate toys, but kids have eyes, and want what they see on screen if they want Godzilla at all.
You don't have a kid, do you?

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:11 am
Gojirasaur wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:26 am
Angilasman wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:58 am These ReAction figures aren't for me, but I gotta say: seeing a little display of them at my local comic shop made me super happy. If I was a kid today I'd love them for being able to give me a wide variety of characters at a small size.
I think, as a kid, I'd moan and scream if I got one of these and not a 5 Points XL set. The Super 7 style is meant to be the kind of alternative kitsch that adults can appreciate alongside screen-accurate toys, but kids have eyes, and want what they see on screen if they want Godzilla at all.
You don't have a kid, do you?
Obviously not. It depends on the age that's defined to be a kid, though. Personally, even as a teenager, I'd have gladly taken one of those (for today's standards relatively fugly) 90's Trendmasters figures (no offense intended if you like these), but where I live there are to this very day like a handful of options to buy Goji figures domestically, if at all. I had to resort to buying a tagged 6" Imperial Godzilla in a local store during the 90s and I loved it. I'd have enjoyed but didn't need a more picture-perfect representation and so don't my kids today. They are fine with any toy as long as it's hardly resembling the character they like in their imagination.
Size DOES matter!

M92
Yojimbo

Post by M92 »

BigBadToyStore has the pre-orders for Reaction Wave 3

1.) Megalon
2.) Minya (Light Blue)
3.) Godzilla (1974)
4.) Mechagodzilla (1974-Metallic)
They also have a pre-order for a Toho Super Cyborg Mechagodzilla (Clear) Figure for $124.99. I love these Reaction Figures. I'm just missing their L Tail Marusan and Shogun Godzilla Reaction figures
Last edited by M92 on Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

{---HYPERZeTToN---}
G-Force Personnel

Post by {---HYPERZeTToN---} »

New listing for the upcoming Super Cyborg Showa Mechagodzilla + new wave of ReActions:
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Search?H ... ompany=279

Gojirasaur
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojirasaur »

Fermix wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:06 am
Gojirasaur wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:41 am Well, aside from having tried and succeeded with that point, I was a savvy kid. I think I could even spot a KO while in a stroller!

Really, kids today have us all beat on what they expect. Hell, they may order SHMA on Alexa while you're out. :lol:
I'm not buying my young child a 5 point XL or an SHMA. With all of the interchangeable parts on the Mezco stuff, it's just asking for a kid to lose them. SHMA for obvious reasons; I barely feel comfortable handling those things as an adult.

If you're saying that you know of kids with high expectations, then I'm simply saying those kids are spoiled.
I'm not saying most kids aren't. Kids today are ruined by tablets and can see what's out there these days for themselves.
o.supreme wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:17 am That's interesting about the screen accurate POV. Especially as a kid from the late 70's/80s that grew up with Transformers. Often they didn't look like they did in the cartoon. We acknowledged it, but then still bought the toys anyway. It didn't deter our enjoyment. Now they have Studio Series that goes for super screen accuracy, which is cool, but not essential.
I completely agree that back then when we were kids in a TRU, we couldn't do a side-by-side comparison. It was nice getting a toy, but I did go through catalogues back then and looked at the toys and discovered earlier than other kids I knew what was out there. These days it's just easier for kids to know and form, in your estimation, unrealistic expectations. I'm sure as hell not defending it; just acknowledging it.
Legion1979 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:11 am You don't have a kid, do you?
Nope, but I've been saddled with care for friends' kids and it only reinforced my opinions.
Petezilla wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:34 pm Obviously not.
Ok, you may not have kids, but they are far more of a problem these days than when we grew up. There is nothing they say that surprises me anymore.

I should say, that I had considered backtracking on my stance given I tend to think of the Shogun Warrior figures most when thinking of Super 7, but it still holds true for their most screen-accurate figures compared to the others I had mentioned. Once seen, those others can still ruin expectations for a kid getting a Super 7. Call it spoiled. I just see it as the rule and not the exception.
Last edited by Gojirasaur on Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

M92 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:37 pm BigBadToyStore has the pre-orders for Reaction Wave 3

1.) Megalon
2.) Minya (Light Blue)
3.) Godzilla (1974)
They also have a pre-order for a Toho Super Cyborg Mechagodzilla (Clear) Figure for $124.99. I love these Reaction Figures. I'm just missing their L Tail Marusan and Shogun Godzilla Reaction figures
They sure do love Mechagodzilla, huh? Three waves, three MG's. Wonder where the rest of the wave is though, unless four is it this time?

I'm definitely interested in that Cyborg Mechagodzilla thing based on the last pics. I'd probably have to wait to see what it looks like in-hand though, or at least something beyond the usual digital mock-up.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Gojirasaur wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:23 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:11 am You don't have a kid, do you?
Nope
'nuff said.
Shenanigans wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:50 pmThey sure do love Mechagodzilla, huh? Three waves, three MG's. Wonder where the rest of the wave is though, unless four is it this time?
Metallic Mechagodzilla in wave 3 is annoying, and for the same reasons I'm annoyed about the Silver Screen G54 NYCC exclusive. I hate the idea that the definitive versions of these figures with the best paint comes in a second release. Not only that, but it's occupying a slot that could have been used for another kaiju.

It sure seems like the wave is just 4 figures, and I really hope it's not. There are so many characters to get through, and having only 3 new monsters (2 if you don't count Godzilla, fair enough) is underwhelming. If it is 4, my guess would be that they are trying to get these through the door quicker and the other 2 figures intended for wave 3 are taking longer in production and will be included in a larger wave 4. Just a guess, though.
Shenanigans wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:50 pm I'm definitely interested in that Cyborg Mechagodzilla thing based on the last pics. I'd probably have to wait to see what it looks like in-hand though, or at least something beyond the usual digital mock-up.
I could be wrong but I'm mostly sure the photos I posted of the Super Cyborg were actual product shots, not renders. They have not historically released 3D renders of their Super Cyborgs. That used to be true for ReAction as well, but ironically enough the Godzilla ReAction line was the first to use 3D renders as promo shots :P
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I personally think having another MG in this wave and whittling it down to 4 figures is a sign that they don't intend to go as deep with this as people thought. Someone wake me when they start going a little more out of the box with their kaiju choices.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:56 am I personally think having another MG in this wave and whittling it down to 4 figures is a sign that they don't intend to go as deep with this as people thought. Someone wake me when they start going a little more out of the box with their kaiju choices.
I'm not ready to sound the alarm yet but I understand. Their ReAction series are typically closer to 4 figures per wave than 6 anyway. Hell, their first wave of Muppets are just two figures. That pace is painfully slow.

Which kaiju choices would you want to see?
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Fermix wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:13 am Which kaiju choices would you want to see?
Not speaking on behalf of Legion... But if we're really sticking with pre-ACTUAl Heisei era (1985 tops)...

Anguirus '55
Varan
Space Amoeba Trio
Sanda & Gaira
Dogora
Giant f'n Condor
Totem Bagan

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Fermix wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:13 am
Which kaiju choices would you want to see?
Really quirky stuff like Mogera, Gabara or Gezora. But I'd also consider buying Ebirah, Kumonga, Manda or Varan.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:56 am ... whittling it down to 4 figures is a sign that they don't intend to go as deep with this as people thought.
I view it as a sign that sales of the first two assortments aren't as strong as Super7 had hoped for.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

G1985 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:25 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:56 am ... whittling it down to 4 figures is a sign that they don't intend to go as deep with this as people thought.
I view it as a sign that sales of the first two assortments aren't as strong as Super7 had hoped for.
I've seen Wave 1 get restocked repeatedly and the second Wave doesn't even exist yet. I think it's premature to view it this way. EDIT: Also Kyle confirmed in November that waves 1-5 had already been sculpted.

Seriously, their other lines get knocked down to 3-4 figures per wave on average. I don't think there's any reason to sound the alarm.
Last edited by Fermix on Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

M92 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:37 pm BigBadToyStore has the pre-orders for Reaction Wave 3

1.) Megalon
2.) Minya (Light Blue)
3.) Godzilla (1974)
Ditto

Only holding off on Cyborg until I see the pictures. Im sure its the one from the magazine and I love it as is but I would like to confirm it before I commit another 124$ to the preorder debt. The Super Cyborg figure just hits everything right with a MG cutaway and its a must have for sure.
Last edited by SpaceG92 on Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

If they are going to start releasing fewer figures per wave, I would certainly hope future waves can offer a more diverse lot than this. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to drop the idea that they need 1 or 2 Godzillas per wave. I can understand why they'd want to release a lot of Godzillas early, but hopefully that doesn't last the whole line.
Fermix wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:13 am That pace is painfully slow.
Yeah, this is important to remember. I think Super7 has made it quite clear they intend on being in this for a looooong time based on how they outlined their plans for the Ultimates line. We're talking quite a few years, to say the least. Not saying plans can't change and that we're guaranteed anything of course, but the doom and gloom is a bit rich at this stage of the game.

They came out of the gate strong with the oddball choice of Godzilla 1957; I think we're in for a long ride with a lot more surprises down the road.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

A little perspective though. Aren't the Ultimates made to order? There isn't a lot of risk in that, since they're going to produce an amount that's guaranteed to sell, and they're taking preorders so far ahead that they'll have a good idea of what the demand is.

The ReActions have to succeed in the retail market. At $20 these figures (across the board, not just Godzilla) are already a bit of a tough sell. Having a wave of figures without a Godzilla isn't going to look good on the pegs to a casual consumer. Makes me wonder how deep and obscure they could possibly get with this. Are people going to plunk down $20 at a Target for a super obscure Toho monster they've never heard of? The further they get from the big guns the more likely figures are going to warm pegs. Honestly, Godzilla 1957 is no indication of how far they could go with this, because at the end of the day it's still GODZILLA and it's still going to sell. The casual buyer isn't going to care what the date of the costumer is if they're just want any Godzilla.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

They'll probably mix the obscures with the big hitters. Or they should at least. That usually works in other figure lines.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:37 am A little perspective though. Aren't the Ultimates made to order? There isn't a lot of risk in that, since they're going to produce an amount that's guaranteed to sell, and they're taking preorders so far ahead that they'll have a good idea of what the demand is.

The ReActions have to succeed in the retail market. At $20 these figures (across the board, not just Godzilla) are already a bit of a tough sell. Having a wave of figures without a Godzilla isn't going to look good on the pegs to a casual consumer. Makes me wonder how deep and obscure they could possibly get with this. Are people going to plunk down $20 at a Target for a super obscure Toho monster they've never heard of? The further they get from the big guns the more likely figures are going to warm pegs. Honestly, Godzilla 1957 is no indication of how far they could go with this, because at the end of the day it's still GODZILLA and it's still going to sell. The casual buyer isn't going to care what the date of the costumer is if they're just want any Godzilla.
The risk with Ultimates is making customers spend too much money at once, given how large they are. Brian has talked about it in a couple of different interviews (here is a timestamped one if you want to see it), and he has said "Nothing is little here, every one of these figures is fucking bonkers. And now I'm going to ask somebody to plop down $350 for a wave of Ultimates? It feels abusive, to be frank." That's why the pace for Ultimates has been slowed down - it needs to be a pace that collectors can comfortably keep up with when you're charging that much, especially in this economy.

ReAction is different, but the Toho line isn't exactly facing any unique challenges when compared to some of their other lines. Super7 is on Wave 6 of Transformers ReAction and they don't even transform. They're on Wave 6 of GI Joe while Hasbro's Classified line is thriving. Wave 4 of Power Rangers just landed while Lightning Collection is going. The ReAction stuff is pricey but that cost allows them to make the niche product and tank hits when they don't sell gangbusters.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Anyone still looking for the ReAction Poster G? Gonna swing by Target after work and see if any are still left.