Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Re: New Godzilla Series On Apple TV+

Post by Handsome Shrek »

-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Handsome Shrek wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:07 am https://mobile.twitter.com/KDM_Monsters ... 3896773632

Hmm sounds dope
I am intrigued.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Handsome Shrek wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:07 am https://mobile.twitter.com/KDM_Monsters ... 3896773632

Hmm sounds dope
I like how he says old and new titans. I'm guessing we won't have Toho titans, so no Rodan, or Mothra. My speculation is that we will get roughly half new titans and half other legendary titans. I'm guessing we will see mutos again to help bridge the gap between 2014 and KOTM. Possibly skullcrawlers as well. Behemoth and Scylla are good possibilities since Behemoth is a fan favorite and Scylla is a unique design.

Probably each titan will have one episode only appearances, with maybe one final villain titan getting two episodes for the finale (one for build up and the other for the battle with Godzilla).

What's everyone's thoughts?
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

LindenHS
Monarch Researcher

Post by LindenHS »

darthzilla99 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:08 am

Hmm sounds dope
I like how he says old and new titans. I'm guessing we won't have Toho titans, so no Rodan, or Mothra. My speculation is that we will get roughly half new titans and half other legendary titans. I'm guessing we will see mutos again to help bridge the gap between 2014 and KOTM. Possibly skullcrawlers as well. Behemoth and Scylla are good possibilities since Behemoth is a fan favorite and Scylla is a unique design.

Probably each titan will have one episode only appearances, with maybe one final villain titan getting two episodes for the finale (one for build up and the other for the battle with Godzilla).

What's everyone's thoughts?
No Kong outside maybe some background stuff I’m guessing? Skullcrawlers might be referred to, but aren’t Titans. Given where they end up in japan I’m putting money on Orochi. And kaiju in the 50’s during the end of WW2 imma say NA Kika as well.

Added in 36 seconds:
My other money is on some new ones…

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I imagine it will have some tie in to MV5 in one way or another. Introducing a character that will be in that movie, or introducing an earlier form/version of the main threat, or something.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

money is on skullcrawler and batwars or whatever they are called for easier and cheap asset reuse not like a jab at the show but thats what makes sense

also lmao at the people that think the shinamura or muto prime will be in the show, like franchise dont hold themselves tied to *tie in promotional material* for a decade old movie promo lol

LindenHS
Monarch Researcher

Post by LindenHS »

Janjira-York wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:08 pm money is on skullcrawler and batwars or whatever they are called for easier and cheap asset reuse not like a jab at the show but thats what makes sense

also lmao at the people that think the shinamura or muto prime will be in the show, like franchise dont hold themselves tied to *tie in promotional material* for a decade old movie promo lol
Neither, The Hollow Earth was not discovered or visited till GVK and this is set in the 50s and directly after 2014. Prime isn’t happening because that was a year after 2014. Skull Island wasn’t even found until Vietnam… so not showing up outside of scenes set in 2014 if even.

Shinomura however is VERY likely due to being around in the 50s and the character Shaw from Awakeming is in the show.
The comics outside of certain parts of Awakening are canon to the lore according to Legendary.
Last edited by LindenHS on Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

Matt Shakman gave an interview with Collider and gave us some juicy tidbits. (I'm assuming this what prompted KDM's tweets earlier). It's really exciting to see information start coming out about this series. Can't wait!

https://collider.com/godzilla-series-ti ... -comments/

My only concern is the series really contradicts the continuity already established by the films. I know some people don't really care about that sorta thing, and I know this franchise has a history of loose continuity, but little details like that has always been important to me. Doesn't make or break my experience, but a nice tight universe is something I really appreciate.
Last edited by AtomicMorningBreath on Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

AtomicMorningBreath wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:39 pm Matt Shakman gave an interview with Collider and gave us some juicy tidbits. (I'm assuming this what prompted KDM's tweets earlier). It's really exciting to see information start coming out about this series. Can't wait!

https://collider.com/godzilla-series-ti ... -comments/

My only concern is the series really contradicts the continuity already established by the films. I know some people don't really care about that sorta thing, and I know this franchise has a history of loose continuity, but little details like that has always been important to me. Doesn't make or break my experience, but a nice tight universe is something I really appreciate.
I guess we’ll see how it plays out. It might gel better than we think with the existing continuity. If it doesn’t, I hope the story is good enough that we won’t mind as much. All I can say is that this announcement is exciting enough for me and I can’t wait to see how it all plays out!
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LindenHS wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:36 amSkullcrawlers might be referred to, but aren’t Titans.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

LindenHS
Monarch Researcher

Post by LindenHS »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:39 pm
LindenHS wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:36 amSkullcrawlers might be referred to, but aren’t Titans.
They are confirmed not to be Titans… for a year now. The opening credits in GvK was almost entirely stolen fanmade stuff and fan art including the info box saying they are.
They are called by people at Legendary as Sun-Titans along with “Genitor”, Warbats, Rock Critters, Scaly Quadrupeds, Spirit Tigers, and anything else with a full scientific name given on a dossier.
Got this confirmed personally by multiple people working for and with Legendary

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LindenHS wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:44 pm
They are confirmed not to be Titans… for a year now. The opening credits in GvK was almost entirely stolen fanmade stuff and fan art including the info box saying they are.
They are called by people at Legendary as Sun-Titans along with “Genitor”, Warbats, Rock Critters, Scaly Quadrupeds, Spirit Tigers, and anything else with a full scientific name given on a dossier.

Quote of the Year:

LindenHS
Monarch Researcher

Post by LindenHS »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:44 pm

Read what I wrote.. that was stolen from fan content due to the opening being a rush job as confirmed by Wingard.
It’s not canon.

They are not Titans and that’s that kiddo

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LindenHS wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:48 pm They are not Titans and that’s that kiddo
Okay chief, whatever you say. Back to Reddit you go. ;)

Quote of the Year:

LindenHS
Monarch Researcher

Post by LindenHS »

I mean seriously the opening had like… 10 cases of stolen fan made stuff?
Including using incorrect data for MV Godzilla from an article on Heisei Godzilla… the wrong stats for ghidorah if I remember.
And so much stolen fanart….

CamtheGodzillafan
E.S.P.Spy

Post by CamtheGodzillafan »

LindenHS wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:48 pm

Read what I wrote.. that was stolen from fan content due to the opening being a rush job as confirmed by Wingard.
It’s not canon.

Twitter in a nutshell.

If they aren't Titans, then how come they are literally named Titanus Cranium Reptant?

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Isn't this the endless loophole of Word of God vs Word of Law? Seems like a stupid thing to really argue over when either way its either right or wrong.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LindenHS wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:53 pm I mean seriously the opening had like… 10 cases of stolen fan made stuff?
Including using incorrect data for MV Godzilla from an article on Heisei Godzilla… the wrong stats for ghidorah if I remember.
And so much stolen fanart….
So, time for you to drop your little inside sources you got, doncha think?

Quote of the Year:

LindenHS
Monarch Researcher

Post by LindenHS »

CamtheGodzillafan wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:53 pm

It’s not canon.

Twitter in a nutshell.

If they aren't Titans, then how come they are literally named Titanus Cranium Reptant?
Read the comment.. that info box was STOLEN FROM A FANMADE SOURCE

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LindenHS wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:55 pm
CamtheGodzillafan wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:53 pm

It’s not canon.

Twitter in a nutshell.

Read the comment.. that info box was STOLEN FROM A FANMADE SOURCE
Reading a lot like a Reddit comment.

Quote of the Year: