The Cosmos Thread!

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

The Cosmos Thread!

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Prolly my least favorite of the Heisei era of shows... Cosmos. Just finished the first movie and five episodes into the series. It's just as bleh as I remember when I watched it for the first time about a decade ago. The movie really feels like it's from the makers of the Rebirth of Mothra movies. Basical Baltan is cool, but that's about all it has going for it. I do like the Chaos Header plot of the series and would love to see a few of the monsters and their Chaos forms come back at some point, maybe in a 3-4 episode arc of a newer series. Just not a huge fan of the human cast, nor the Ultra in general, however.

Chaos Bug is still my favorite kaiju of this series, followed by Chaos Parastan. We just don't get enugh Egyptian themed kaiju.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Re: The Cosmos Thread!

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I haven't watch the first movie yet but okay 'rebirth of mothra' vibes makes me nervous. Oh well. But I rather like Cosmos. I dunno people have called Return of Ultraman to have a weird cozy feeling. Maybe that's because Goh is more approachable and normal compared to Hayata never being outside of work and Ken being Ultraseven. But I apply cozy even sooner to Cosmos. I watch it and I feel less stressed out. Silly I guess but I also appreciate the pacifest approach. We'll see if I get tired of it but the first time I started watching it I got about 12 episodes in and enjoyed it.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Cosmos is somewhere in the middle for me. I can appreciate it more as I get older,than I did a decade ago when I first saw it. However, I will say, the ending theme for most of the series and the first 2 movies "Something You Can Do". Is one of the most uplifting and inspirational Ultra Themes of them all. When I feel like crap, that song will instantly improve my disposition.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

I'm about to start this either tonight or tomorrow. I just haven't decided if I want to watch the first movie or jump right into the series then go through the movies. I know the first movie is technically a prequel but I'm trying to decide, if I want to go the Star Wars route where its recommended to start with Episodes IV-VI then do I-III.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I love Cosmos personally. Haven't seen the movies yet because I refuse to buy the DVDs. Still I really like the approach of the show. The later episodes delving into the animosity between EYES and the military makes for some interesting drama. It's also maybe my favorite team of any of the shows being a smaller and more focused group. The supporting cast is really fun too like the lovesick doctor or the young female scientist that Doigaki has a crush on.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

gvamp wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:39 pm I'm about to start this either tonight or tomorrow. I just haven't decided if I want to watch the first movie or jump right into the series then go through the movies. I know the first movie is technically a prequel but I'm trying to decide, if I want to go the Star Wars route where its recommended to start with Episodes IV-VI then do I-III.

It's easiest just to watch in order:

Movie 1
The Series
Movie 2
Movie 3
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Well I went with the prequel movie first then started the series. I watched the movie the other day and thought it was cool. Then yesterday I watched the first two episodes. I like the fact that they're trying to save the monsters in the show vs destroying them but like I said I'm only two episodes in so far. We'll see if I like that formula as the show progresses.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

On episode 10 now, and I think it's one of my favorite episodes now. I don't remember it at all from when I first saw this series, but man does it hit on a different level now. The episode in question features an ancient, stress-eating bronze statue that grows in size and anger with the more stress it consumes. It eventually becomes a giant monster that shoots beams that don't deliver physical damage, but instead amplify stress effects on its victims. IE: some get SEVERE headaches, are paralyzed from stomach pains or get hyper and blindly aggressive.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I keep seeing this on the Board Index and thinking it's a thread dedicated to the Mothra fairies. I've clicked on it twice now expecting that. This is my intelligent contribution for the day.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

o.supreme wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:38 pm Cosmos is somewhere in the middle for me. I can appreciate it more as I get older,than I did a decade ago when I first saw it. However, I will say, the ending theme for most of the series and the first 2 movies "Something You Can Do". Is one of the most uplifting and inspirational Ultra Themes of them all. When I feel like crap, that song will instantly improve my disposition.
I adore that theme, man. The chorus especially, oh it lifts my heart.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

I'm about to finish disc 2 later tonight and so far, I've been really enjoying the show. I was a little worried about starting it since it's so long but I'm trying to do at least three episodes a day, and that seems to be making the show go by fast. I should be able to finish everything by March because on days off I'm going to try and watch six plus episodes.

PC Specs

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

It's interesting seeing Cosmos being enjoyed nowadays. I remember back in the mid 2000s, it was regarded as the worst Japanese produced Ultraman series of all time. I remember James Ballard on the old Tokyo Masters fourms hated this series more than GFW, which was saying ALOT coming from him.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah when younger me heard of this I was expecting it to be really kiddy and there would be no action. Okay it's a bit light hearted but I mean like preschooler kiddy. The two parter Daughter Of Time is a bit heavy.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I was a little worried when I first started Cosmos because of some of the negativity surrounding it, particularly the lack of violence, so I was pretty shocked by how much I really enjoyed it.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

I'm now on Disc 5 and I must say I'm very impressed with this show. I don't know what it is but I've been enjoying pretty much every episode I've watched. Even the ones that start off slow end up being good in the end. It's not my favorite Ultra series but its ranking pretty high up on the list.

PC Specs

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Finished the last bit of Cosmos up and I thought it was a pretty good show. My favorite episode was easily Door of Snow it was just a hauntingly beautiful episode probably one of my top 1o favorite Ultra episodes of all time.

I really enjoyed the second movie Blue Planet and thought the third movie was just okay. Really liked the monster designs for Blue Planet, especially Sandloss which looked like a combination of Orga and Biollante. I think my favorite kaiju design though was Scropus from Blue Planet which reminded me of a combination of Battra, Destoroyah, Megaguirus and Legion Queen.

PC Specs