Dead Space Franchise

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Dead Space Franchise

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Since the remake is coming up what are your thoughts on this series
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Re: Dead Space Franchise

Post by gvamp »

I love this series and will be picking up the remake day one probably. I'm really hoping EA doesn't charge us $70 for the game. I've notice that all there PS5 and Series X/S games are going up to $70 this year. EA has confirmed the game will only be on these platforms.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I love the original trilogy, and I am interested in reading the old Dead Space novel.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

I love Dead Space 1 and 2, but I'm not really a big fan of 3. The series is a lot like the Alien franchise where the first 2 are absolute bangers and the 3rd is mediocre. I would personally have just ended the franchise at 2 as it wrapped things up nicely and gave poor Isaac a happy ending.

It's neat that there's a remake coming, but on the other hand I'm worried EA is going to milk the franchise to death.

Edit: So there's no PC port coming?
Last edited by Breakdown on Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Dead Space - Hunter Death Animation warning Very Gorey and violent
Spoiler:
[YouTube]https://youtu.be/ioujUQ0IAPo[/YouTube]

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

There has been a couple of livestreams of if the remake.

I haven’t checked at all, only some bits but it seems like it’s pretty good

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

So the remake is getting a lot of praise, any thoughts on this. I think it’s surprising that EA of all things do a better job of making a successor to dead space than the creators themselves with Callisto protocol

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:14 pm So the remake is getting a lot of praise, any thoughts on this. I think it’s surprising that EA of all things do a better job of making a successor to dead space than the creators themselves with Callisto protocol
I downloaded it last night but won't get to play until after work tonight, I'll share my thoughts when I do. Apparently, they fixed the original game's shitty zero gravity sections by making it fluid like in DS2, so I'm excited for that.

But yeah, Callisto was a letdown. First half of the game was actually pretty great but then it devolved into repetitive combat and some of the worst boss fights in recent horror game history.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

I can confirm that the Dead Space remake is fan-fucking-tastic. Definitely exceeded my expectations. Honestly, they could've just given it next gen graphics and smoothed over some of the clunkier gameplay of the original, but they went way beyond that. Some of the positive changes:

- The graphics. Holy shit, some of the best I've ever seen. From the way necromorphs are literally stripped apart piece by piece as you shoot them to the spectacular light and fog effects, it all looks amazing.
- The atmosphere is somehow even more intense as it was playing the original. It keeps me on the edge of my seat constantly, even when I know an enemy is about to pull a jump scare. I've already yelled "FUCK!" twice because something scared the life out of me. Where most recent survival horror games have fallen short, this one succeeds.
- The gameplay is just so much more fluid. My biggest gripe with the original Dead Space was that it could feel rather awkward. Isaac was annoyingly slow even when sprinting, aiming quickly and accurately could be a real chore, and worst of all was the godawful zero-gravity gameplay. DS2 improved many of these issues but the remake takes them to new heights. Zero-gravity is just as fluid and just as fun as it was in DS2, and is the biggest improvement overall in my opinion.
- Isaac speaks! I got so used to him being a talking protagonist in DS2 and DS3 that I almost forgot he was a silent protagonist in DS1. Bringing back Gunner Wright was an excellent choice, he really brings the role to life. Some video game protagonists benefit from being blank, voiceless avatars; Isaac Clarke wasn't one of them.
- New details and new side missions help to flesh out the story and the characters. We find out that
Spoiler:
Isaac's mom was a Unitologist and Nicole specializes in helping people escape the Church; that's how they met. Unitology is definitely focused on more than the original DS, to the game's benefit.
- All of the weapons are great. In the OG DS, I had no use for the flamethrower, pulse rifle or force gun, but they all have their uses now. The pulse rifle no longer shoots with the force of a Nerf gun. The flamethrower gets a fire wall alt that's actually useful in situations where you're getting mobbed. The force gun literally strips necromorphs down to bone and muscle, taking full advantage of the remake's disgustingly realistic graphics. But the biggest improvement comes with the contact beam. I was okay with it being a charge-up one-shot weapon a la Halo's Spartan Laser, but now that's only its alt fire; the primary attack is a constant energy beam, similar to Halo's Sentinel Beam. It's gone from being I something I only pulled out for the biggest necros to my favorite weapon.

In summary: 10/10, one of the best video game remakes ever, on the same level as the Resident Evil 2 and Demon Souls remakes. Would recommend to anyone who loved the original or anyone who just wants to experience a great survival horror game in a dark sci-fi setting. Would not recommend to the weak of stomach.
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:57 pm I can confirm that the Dead Space remake is fan-fucking-tastic. Definitely exceeded my expectations. Honestly, they could've just given it next gen graphics and smoothed over some of the clunkier gameplay of the original, but they went way beyond that. Some of the positive changes:

- The graphics. Holy shit, some of the best I've ever seen. From the way necromorphs are literally stripped apart piece by piece as you shoot them to the spectacular light and fog effects, it all looks amazing.
- The atmosphere is somehow even more intense as it was playing the original. It keeps me on the edge of my seat constantly, even when I know an enemy is about to pull a jump scare. I've already yelled "FUCK!" twice because something scared the life out of me. Where most recent survival horror games have fallen short, this one succeeds.
- The gameplay is just so much more fluid. My biggest gripe with the original Dead Space was that it could feel rather awkward. Isaac was annoyingly slow even when sprinting, aiming quickly and accurately could be a real chore, and worst of all was the godawful zero-gravity gameplay. DS2 improved many of these issues but the remake takes them to new heights. Zero-gravity is just as fluid and just as fun as it was in DS2, and is the biggest improvement overall in my opinion.
- Isaac speaks! I got so used to him being a talking protagonist in DS2 and DS3 that I almost forgot he was a silent protagonist in DS1. Bringing back Gunner Wright was an excellent choice, he really brings the role to life. Some video game protagonists benefit from being blank, voiceless avatars; Isaac Clarke wasn't one of them.
- New details and new side missions help to flesh out the story and the characters. We find out that
Spoiler:
Isaac's mom was a Unitologist and Nicole specializes in helping people escape the Church; that's how they met. Unitology is definitely focused on more than the original DS, to the game's benefit.
- All of the weapons are great. In the OG DS, I had no use for the flamethrower, pulse rifle or force gun, but they all have their uses now. The pulse rifle no longer shoots with the force of a Nerf gun. The flamethrower gets a fire wall alt that's actually useful in situations where you're getting mobbed. The force gun literally strips necromorphs down to bone and muscle, taking full advantage of the remake's disgustingly realistic graphics. But the biggest improvement comes with the contact beam. I was okay with it being a charge-up one-shot weapon a la Halo's Spartan Laser, but now that's only its alt fire; the primary attack is a constant energy beam, similar to Halo's Sentinel Beam. It's gone from being I something I only pulled out for the biggest necros to my favorite weapon.

In summary: 10/10, one of the best video game remakes ever, on the same level as the Resident Evil 2 and Demon Souls remakes. Would recommend to anyone who loved the original or anyone who just wants to experience a great survival horror game in a dark sci-fi setting. Would not recommend to the weak of stomach.
Totally agree, in many expects this game it’s much better than the original. If they continue with this remakes, I wonder what they’ll do with dead space 3

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

I finished my first playthrough of the remake last night, had a great time with it up through the end. A few more observations:
- Not as hard as I remembered! I did play on Medium, to be fair, but I struggled with the last four levels even on that difficulty the first time I played. I think playing a lot of FromSoft games has made me better at video games in general. I'm planning to start a New Game + playthrough soon, I'm sure that will be more punishing.
- All three boss fights were drastically improved but they're still my least favorite part of the game. The devs seem to have felt the same way, since there's only one boss fight at the end of DS2. Then again, DS3 had several mediocre boss fights, so maybe not. I think survival horror as a genre just doesn't work well with traditional boss fights. SH games should stick to "chase bosses" like the Hunter from this game and the Tyrant from Resident Evil 2, and then maybe have one boss fight at the end.
- I'm really happy Hammond and Daniels were given actual characterization in the remake.
Spoiler:
I was just waiting for both of them to die in the original, this time I was actually a little sad when Hammond died (and said death scene was much better, too).
- I like that they actually explained why there was tension between Isaac and Nicole this time; IIRC the original just acted like it was because they were struggling with long distance. That said, I do feel like the twist that
Spoiler:
Nicole is dead
was too obvious in the remake. While I figured it out in the original, they were much more subtle about it. This time around, they dropped so many hints you'd have to not being attention at all to NOT figure it out, assuming you hadn't played the original already.

On a final note, I would LOVE a Dead Space survival mode, a la Horde from Gears of War or Firefight from Halo. Really, really hope that's added as additional content at some point.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

This remake has been utterly superb and I would see much better than the original in my opinion, even though I do have my Nitpick. Wonder what they’re gonna do with the DS series now I kinda excited for DS 2 and 3 remake. On 2nd Remake I don’t know how much they can change the only thing I want is the tormentor Bossfight rather in the original game a quick time event but I guarantee they can surprise me, what I’m really interested in is what they can do with 3. The third game wasn’t really the best game according to the community I say I do like the gameplay I have to agree the story did fell flatten a lot of areas, it wasn’t too scary either is more of action than horror. Makes me wonder a lot about this speculative 3rd remake, there gonna be a lot of changes I can guarantee that
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:27 am On a final note, I would LOVE a Dead Space survival mode, a la Horde from Gears of War or Firefight from Halo. Really, really hope that's added as additional content at some point.
That actually doesn’t a bad idea

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I don't want to read above for spoilers, but man I'm excited for this. Once I finish Lost Judgement for PS5 I intend to get this. Unfortunately for some reason Japanese Ps5 games are ridiculously expensive on release (around 90USD used) so I may have to wait a bit. I'm worried the same thing might happen with the RE4 remake. I don't want to spend so much on a remake, but it seems like they added some content to keep the experience fresh.

I love Dead Space, and I hope they remake 2 and maybe then do an alternative version of 3 or a completely different sequel.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Remaking Dead Space 2 would be hard because it's a near-perfect game. It's telling that some of the gameplay innovations in the DS remake (namely, the better zero-G sections and the improved kinesis) were copied from DS2. I wouldn't be opposed to a DS2 remake that enhances the graphics to modern standards and adds the other new features of the DS remake but it wouldn't do as much for me.

DS3 has room for improvement but I like it a lot better than some do. Its fatal flaw was placing an emphasis on action over horror, which is the same thing that happened in Resident Evil 5/6. That's a new direction that's not necessarily bad but it's no surprise that some fans of the earlier games were rubbed the wrong way. The weapons system was also unnecessarily revamped for the worse. Once I figured it out, I was able to craft some solid weapons but the game made no effort to explain it properly; moreover, the Bench system in the first two DS games was great and didn't need to be changed.

Honestly, I'd be happier if they skipped remaking DS2/3 and just moved on with Dead Space 4. Follow up on DS3's cliffhanger but bring the gameplay back to its survival horror roots so that it plays more like the first two games. I'd love that. As for the setting of DS4, I think DS3 gave us the perfect set-up. Remember how DS3 starts with a Necromorph outbreak on the Moon, but then quickly shifts the scene to Tau Volantis? I think DS4 should follow Isaac having to return to the now fully infested Moon for whatever reason. I'd love for DS4 to be a more open-world game where you get to explore the dark streets, alleys and buildings of the lunar colony at your leisure. That's the vision I've had for DS4 since before the remake was announced. But whether it's that or something completely different, I just hope that's what the development team does next.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Didn't DS3 ultimately end with
Spoiler:
everybody dying due to the Brethren Moons having all converged on Earth like a buffet line
or am I remembering that wrong?
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:30 am Honestly, I'd be happier if they skipped remaking DS2/3 and just moved on with Dead Space 4. Follow up on DS3's cliffhanger but bring the gameplay back to its survival horror roots so that it plays more like the first two games. I'd love that. As for the setting of DS4, I think DS3 gave us the perfect set-up. Remember how DS3 starts with a Necromorph outbreak on the Moon, but then quickly shifts the scene to Tau Volantis? I think DS4 should follow Isaac having to return to the now fully infested Moon for whatever reason. I'd love for DS4 to be a more open-world game where you get to explore the dark streets, alleys and buildings of the lunar colony at your leisure. That's the vision I've had for DS4 since before the remake was announced. But whether it's that or something completely different, I just hope that's what the development team does next.
i would love to agree but I would much rather have the first two sequel get remade then the classic dead space 4, that’s for open world I think Dead Space 3 could benefit that idea, since there’s so much to explore even the original there is a lot to explore

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

I'm not opposed to a DS2 remake but there isn't much that needs to be changed; so little that I don't think it's all that worth it. I might not even buy that one, despite loving this franchise, because I've already played through DS2 about eight times and the appeal of better graphics isn't enough. I can think of exactly three gameplay sections that I'd like to see reworked and it isn't much:
1 - As you mentioned above, I'd like a true boss fight with the Tormentor.
2 - The fight atop the giant mining drill kinda sucks. Would like to see that cut out or reworked.
3 - The part immediately afterward where you have to hack a control panel while infinitely spawning enemies attack you is some major league horseshit that needs to go.

And that's really it. DS1 was held back by clunky controls, atrocious zero-G gameplay and really bad boss fights, all things that the remake fixed. There just isn't much to fix in DS2 and I don't think DS3 is popular enough to warrant a remake. Now, if EA wants to just remaster/fine-tune both DS2 and DS3, release them together for the price of one, and THEN do Dead Space 4, that sounds great to me...

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I agree I didn't hate Dead Space 3 like most; I actually liked a lot of it's plot revelations and while pretty hard to make a sequel for, I did appreciate the downer ending. While revisionist and perhaps taking the climac to the extreme (you fight a moon!), I do think it's a pretty terrifying concept. I also liked being on a frozen alien planet, rather than a ship, and the idea of the aliens was really cool.
Spoiler:
Dead Space 3 ended pretty normally with Isaac defeating the Elder Moon. However, the DLC (which was pretty decent), ended it with the Elder Moons already having destroyed earth. It's actually an ALRIGHT downer ending that feels pretty hard to make a sequel.
I like Hedorahisbestgirl's ideas for Deadspace 4. If everything is gone, why not just have a pure isolationist survival horror game where Isaac is just trying not to off himself and survive, while maybe coming across SOME HOPE for the future of humanity.

I agree Dead Space 2 is perfect, and you're right, from what I've heard about many of the remake's improvements being from DS2. Dead Space 3 could benefit from a heavy overhaul:
-Removal of Microtransactions and the ways the guns worked
-A slight downplay on action, and a major uptick in the survival horror elements
-Cutting or heavily modifying the co-op parts of the game

I hope EA doesn't fuck this up.

FYI: if anyone wants a good video essay on survival horror and Dead Space/Resident Evil, I reccomend TheSpherehunter's channel on YT.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:31 pm 1 - As you mentioned above, I'd like a true boss fight with the Tormentor.
2 - The fight atop the giant mining drill kinda sucks. Would like to see that cut out or reworked.
3 - The part immediately afterward where you have to hack a control panel while infinitely spawning enemies attack you is some major league horseshit that needs to go.
1. That sounds good but the more I think about it, I like the idea that you I have to sneak away from Tormentor first Because you don’t have the right equipment yet but around the end of the game it comes back and you have the right Equipment to defeat the creature

2. I thought that it wasn’t really too bad but do you see your point, I would like the mining grill to be a little more difficult like you have to fight both Brute and tripod at the same time

3. Yeah I can agree on that, I can live without it

Added in 6 minutes 47 seconds:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:03 pm I like Hedorahisbestgirl's ideas for Deadspace 4. If everything is gone, why not just have a pure isolationist survival horror game where Isaac is just trying not to off himself and survive, while maybe coming across SOME HOPE for the future of humanity.
I think this is the logical Way to do this because it’s downright impossible to destroy a Brethren Moon, let alone seven of them, Maybe Isaac gets the survivors from these giant escape shuttles, and have to figure out which shuttle is full with survivors or Necromorph
I hope EA doesn't fuck this up.
From their track record of recently I wouldn’t doubt EA at this point

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Do you guys remember those two animated dead space movie, I’m currently watching them right now I think there are some good elements in the movies but they could’ve been better