Hiya Toys 1/12 Godzilla

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Havoks
Interpol Agent

Re: Hiya Toys 1/12 Godzilla

Post by Havoks »

Like I said, I think it comes down to the terms of the licensing agreement. I don’t think they had issues like this with their other products. It being normal retail only in China probably was a red flag.
:terrestris:

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Fermix wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:17 pm
KingKaiju wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:01 pm I don't want to come off like a snobby asshole, because not everyone has been in the game for as long as many of us. However, I don't quite understand the outrage about this thing being out of stock. I'm not sure what Hiya's attitude is with second or third releases, but this isn't exactly new. I'm hoping, for the sake of those who missed out and because screw scalpers, that they do do more runs of this. But I don't find anything out of the ordinary here.
They just did a press release about how their Godzilla products have been a smash hit, and despite people ordering this mistaken Godzilla reissue, Hiya doesn't seem to want to (or perhaps they are unable to) strike while the iron is hot and release more product into the market to meet demand. Saying it's nothing out of the ordinary doesn't stop it from being a wildly anti-consumer move.
That last part I wasn't aware of. It's a shame that they wouldn't at least say something along the lines of "we could potentially see a restock in the future. However, right now we're currently focused on the rest of this line."

A lot of what I've been seeing are people complaining that this thing isn't sold out. Figures like this are always limited. It sucks, because the aftermarket is garbage. But it's been the nature of this game.
Last edited by KingKaiju on Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I don't think I've seen anyone "outraged" about it being out of stock; it's just kind of disappointing and frustrating to see the item gone seemingly so soon. Sure, it's been in the works and available for preorder for a while, but it was very limited in availability and coming from a brand new company for the license, so not everyone necessarily had a chance to get one or was ready to take the risk. How many times has Monsterarts disappointed people now?

I definitely hope that another "version" of Godzilla will be made available in the (near) future; it's just annoyingly tantalizing at times with how little clear information is provided for this line, as promising as the individual releases seem to be.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Rody wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:13 am A collector on Facebook recieved a concerning email from Hiya Toys directly, regarding the brief window Godzilla 2021 was back in stock:
Dear Hiya Fans. Due to technical reasons, the reservation for Godzilla was opened by mistake. The reality is that Godzilla is out of stock and will not be produced again. We are now giving you a full refund, please accept our sincerest apologies.
Wow. Just wow. At least I know now what I'll be in for, should Hiya announce a G2014 or MUTO.
Last edited by G1985 on Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:03 pm Maybe people are finally getting sick of the "order this right now or fuck you" aspect of this hobby.
Indeed. The days of enough stock to wait for reviews and then buy are gone. You get one chance now.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

cloverfan98 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:27 pm I recall them saying we'd get a Atomic Breath verint of their Godzilla figure so my hope is that they put the brakes on the standard reissue to sell the upcoming variant.
I had forgotten about that but I could see that announced with Ghidorah. The Supercharged Godzilla.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:03 pm Maybe people are finally getting sick of the "order this right now or fuck you" aspect of this hobby.
FOMO in the toy collecting hobby is absolutely bullshit. It's a hobby, I hate having to pre-order everything or risk losing out on it at a decent price down the line.

Sucks ass that so far the only "standard" 1/12 Godzilla from Hiya is completely sold out with no plans for a reissue. They absolutely better be coming out with a 2019 variant or a 2014 design to compensate.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:51 pm
FOMO in the toy collecting hobby is absolutely bullshit. It's a hobby, I hate having to pre-order everything or risk losing out on it at a decent price down the line.

Sucks ass that so far the only "standard" 1/12 Godzilla from Hiya is completely sold out with no plans for a reissue. They absolutely better be coming out with a 2019 variant or a 2014 design to compensate.
I'll br shocked if we don't get supercharged Godzilla especially when how warm the reception has been for Hiya. G14 whole a little retooling is needed is also another safe pick.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Can't say I'm super thrilled about the news either. I'm honestly not sure I understand the reasoning too, since the first one sold out before any other figures were even released with only a couple down the road. Now they have a fairly good-sized Godzilla line going... with no Godzilla for those of us like me who were simply waiting to see if they were going to give us a complete KOTM/Monsterverse (main six) lineup (lest we forget when NECA claimed they were going to be making all the monsters but then left us with an incomplete roster). Fermix put it best, moves like this just feel very anti-consumer and are becoming increasingly commonplace.

If nothing else, I think its safe to say we'll be seeing Godzilla repaints down the road; they did say they were coming some time ago and I don't think they were referring to just the statue line.

Not that I want to create any more false hope, but somebody on Toyark shared a slightly different message after contacting Hiya:
Update: contacted by Hiya. They’ve been having issues with the website and noted the relisting was an error. They did note that there are no current plans to restock BUT said to watch social media as that could change down the road.
https://www.toyark.com/forums/hiya-king ... ah-189170/

Maybe if they're pestered enough to do another run they'll change their mind. They did say in the press release they listen to fans (although I'm sure all toy companies make similar claims).

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

Unless something about the license precludes them making another run, I honestly don't know why they wouldn't.

I suppose it's possible that right now, they have plans to use those molds for other versions (atomic breath, burning, etc.) But eventually they'd be leaving a lot of money on the table not to reissue the basic version.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

From Ned Chang on Twitter

Those paint apps sure are a choice.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Havoks
Interpol Agent

Post by Havoks »

Seems like the paint wash is going to be the big QC issue with Rodan. The video showcasing Rodan’s wing pose-ability had better paint apps.
:terrestris:

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

SHMA definitely has the best face paintwork by a landslide.

I’m sure others will disagree but I actually think Neca has the best paint job outside the head. It’s the most lava-looking. And I always liked the touch of the little yellow embers.

Sculpt wise I don’t thing one really stands out from the others. Each have their pros and cons.

I suspect Hiya will be the best articulation but I thinks it’s too early to call that.

Lecontinentperdu
Monsterland Worker

Post by Lecontinentperdu »

Well, the neca suits me right. And those were available 🤠

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Hiya wins in the sculpt department for sure, definitely the most movie-accurate. SHMA wins in the look of the face, NECA wins on body paint and Jakks wins on price lol.

If all the Hiya needs is a minor black wash to look great, then I'm looking forward to getting it.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Man, if you think the no restocks of HIYA figures is a hard pill to swallow, ya'll should try the Marmit and X-Plus games.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:16 pm Man, if you think the no restocks of HIYA figures is a hard pill to swallow, ya'll should try the Marmit and X-Plus games.
Man, can we just agree it's all shit? Arguing which anti-consumer practice is worst seems like a race to the bottom.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Fermix wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:18 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:16 pm Man, if you think the no restocks of HIYA figures is a hard pill to swallow, ya'll should try the Marmit and X-Plus games.
Man, can we just agree it's all shit? Arguing which anti-consumer practice is worst seems like a race to the bottom.
I mean, we can all agree sure. But it's nothing new in this game. Been around for decades.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:20 pm
I mean, we can all agree sure. But it's nothing new in this game. Been around for decades.
Just because it’s not new doesn’t mean it isn’t shit.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

CyberZilla wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:56 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:20 pm

Just because it’s not new doesn’t mean it isn’t shit.
Well, yeah. I'm not defending it dude. Just lulzy seeing it *NOW* being an issue.

Quote of the Year: