Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2023)

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2023)

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:57 pm I'm getting worried about the fact they're cramming no less than SIX opponents into one season. Might've been smarter to have at least 3, each with 2 episodes for Gamera to fight them in.
It's 5 opponents not six.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:08 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:57 pm I'm getting worried about the fact they're cramming no less than SIX opponents into one season. Might've been smarter to have at least 3, each with 2 episodes for Gamera to fight them in.
Yeah, but still. Might result in things getting too episodic.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:01 am
Until otherwise proven, I'm assuming that "episodic," is the style this series is going for.

And I'll admit, that's a breath of fresh air for me. The long-form-narrative Godzilla animes have both fallen flat on their face, and Pacific Rim the Black was just... decent at best. Keeping Gamera straightforward may be for the better.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Spuro wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:27 am
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:01 am

Until otherwise proven, I'm assuming that "episodic," is the style this series is going for.

And I'll admit, that's a breath of fresh air for me. The long-form-narrative Godzilla animes have both fallen flat on their face, and Pacific Rim the Black was just... decent at best. Keeping Gamera straightforward may be for the better.
The episodic format is something that my dad always complains about Toku shows.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Absolutely nothing wrong with an episodic TV series. In fact, I wish more TV series were episodic.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

StardustGenius wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:29 pm Absolutely nothing wrong with an episodic TV series. In fact, I wish more TV series were episodic.
Agreed.

Although having an episodic series should be no excuse for ignoring or eliminating any sort of character development and or/progress towards some sort of goal. An episodic series shouldn't "reset" at the end of every episode (or at the very least over an extended duration). The benefit of episodic TV series is that even if one episode is complete crap, the next episode might be a lot better. You never know what to expect. There's plenty of tokkatsu shows, and kaiju media that do the episodic format excellently. See: Original Ultraman.

I absolutely despise the recent trend of something that should've just been a movie, stretched out and expanded with filler, and purposefully saves anything interesting for the absolute end of the episode, just so you keep watching. Would love if this was just a one-and-done thing with each monster, with some overarching plot/central idea that concludes in the final episode.

And Legendzilla, there's far too many unknown variables to really worry about right now. We don't know the episode length. It very easily could be 20-25 minutes, to 40-50 minutes. Even if it was 20 minutes an episode, it's not impossible; all the Ultraman series do that. It won't be such a big deal with already established monsters, with somewhat simple backgrounds like Barugon or Viras. Most of the Gamera foes just sort of "show up".
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

As long as the format fits the story they want to tell, I couldn’t care less if it’s episodic or not. I like both kinds of formats because they can tell stories in different yet interesting ways.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^I have no issue with episodic storytelling myself, it’s just for some people it might be too redundant and formulaic.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:04 pm ^I have no issue with episodic storytelling myself, it’s just for some people it might be too redundant and formulaic.
Considering how a good chunk of "TV Content" is meant to be binged and relies on cliffhangers and serialization, I will gladly take episodic storytelling. Star Trek Lower Decks and Strange New Worlds were enjoyable in part because of that.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Episodic shows have pros and cons. They can quickly feel samey and redundant when you know what to expect from every episode, and that can be a problem. On the flip side, they're easy to drop in and out of. I can stop watching an Ultraman show for months at a time, and then pick back up like nothing happened because there's no overarching story to keep track of. Each episode is more or less a self-contained story.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Episodic has become so rare in the streaming era that it's become refreshing. I'd love if each episode is essentially a mini Gamera movie with it's own villain.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Cast reveal - Hisako Kanemoto, Yoshitsugu Matsuoka, Aki Toyosaki, and Subaru Kimura.

https://twitter.com/gamera_rebirth/stat ... 0415098881

More monster reveals coming soon as well.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Director revealed: Hiroyuki Seshita (Anime Godzilla trilogy)

https://twitter.com/gamera_rebirth/stat ... 9174274048
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

GigaBowserG wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:52 pm Director revealed: Hiroyuki Seshita (Anime Godzilla trilogy)

Should I be concerned, or is the director good outside of that trilogy?
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

GigaBowserG wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:52 pm Director revealed: Hiroyuki Seshita (Anime Godzilla trilogy)

Oh… Umm… Now granted, as far as I know, I haven’t seen anything from this director, but I can’t lie, I wasn’t a big fan of the anime trilogy. So, I’m definitely a little concerned. Now, they could have done a lot better stuff besides the trilogy, so I could be wrong and they might be a really good though. But I’m still concerned.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Would like to point out, the anime trilogy's problems stemmed from Kobun Shizuno, not Seshita.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

NSZ wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:40 pm Would like to point out, the anime trilogy's problems stemmed from Kobun Shizuno, not Seshita.
What was their role in the trilogy again?
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

In general, I think its good to remember that all writers/directors will have their good works and their bad works. And you never really know what's going on behind-the-scenes; directors don't always have all the power to do what they want. Unless you see a clear pattern in someone's work, I wouldn't worry too much, and as best I can tell, this guy doesn't have nearly enough under his belt to establish any sort of pattern yet, good or bad. I wouldn't let him scare anyone (though if he fucks this up, by all means, keep him away from these kaiju franchises).
Gojira2K wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:59 pm
NSZ wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:40 pm Would like to point out, the anime trilogy's problems stemmed from Kobun Shizuno, not Seshita.
They co-directed the three films. Looking it up, it seems that Seshita was a fan of the Godzilla franchise but Shizuno wasn't. Don't know anything else about it.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Shizuno held the role of co-director alongside Seshita, however Shizuno had absolutely zero familiarity with the franchise (& toku in general, iirc), and quashed the creative ideas Seshita & Urobuchi came up with to try and work around the restrictions Toho put in place (like actual creative talent will try to do).

Wanna know why MechaG has zero actual presence in the second film? He's why.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

NSZ wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:17 pm
Shizuno held the role of co-director alongside Seshita, however Shizuno had absolutely zero familiarity with the franchise (& toku in general, iirc), and quashed the creative ideas Seshita & Urobuchi came up with to try and work around the restrictions Toho put in place (like actual creative talent will try to do).

Wanna know why MechaG has zero actual presence in the second film? He's why.
Okay, good to know. Definitely makes me feel a little bit better.
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn