Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995)

Post by JAGzilla »

Cinemassacre has you covered for pronunciation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbPkzk0 ... sacreClips
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

That is the ultimate and coolest way to say it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I noticed earlier that despite being in all three Atari games, Destoroyah was never the final boss. :lol: Don't get me wrong Destoroyah is cool, I just found that funny with all the hype it gets in regards to being a "big bad".
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

And it's the same with the IDW comics. Destoroyah is present, but only as another face in the crowd. Nobody significant, just that one mook that's bigger than the rest and gives our hero a little trouble before he goes down.

I kinda like that, to be honest. Destoroyah certainly can work in the Big Bad role, but he doesn't need to be that serious.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Is he really a mook tho? Zakus, GMs, Putties, Foot Soldiers, are mooks. Is Destoroyah all of a sudden some job guy?

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Destoroyah was the Big Bad in Cataclysm. I also seem to recall it being treated as a big threat in Rulers of Earth, though I only read the first 8 or 9 issues.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

He was a really strong Monster Of The Week in Rulers Of Earth. I've said it before but he reminds me of Doomsday and Broly from DC and DBZ. A big overpowered brute of a creature that is easily one of the strongest of the villains. But are Doomsday and Broly last boss material? They probably stronger than the last bosses of their series, but they seem more like enemies that are often survived, than say a last boss who has to be stopped.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

The Destoroyah/Doomsday comparison is especially apt because both were introduced in the 90s in an arc that involved the death of the main character. The difference of course being that Destoroyah didn't actually kill Godzilla.

As for being "last boss" material, I think that Destoroyah can be but it's portrayal dependent. Compare that to King Ghidorah, who's (pretty much) always a Big Bad. Destoroyah's no mere mook but he doesn't seem to have quite the same main villain potential as Ghidorah, Mechagodzilla or even Space Godzilla, despite the latter having a sorely underwhelming showing in his debut film.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Hedorah, Gigan, and Destoroyah are characters I notice in merchandising and other media appearances, that are just below the big five. They probably need one major movie appearance in Hollywood to "get their lucky break.". In pro wrestling hierarchy terms, they are your upper card talent. Just below the Ace/Main Eventers. I think Destoroyah as a concept, like Hedorah can totally work as a last boss type of creature. This is largely due to their freakshow "enemy to all living things" nature.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Solid point. If there’s a second tier below the big five then for sure these three and maybe Biollante, perhaps Jet Jaguar as well round out the top 10.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:03 pm

As for being "last boss" material, I think that Destoroyah can be but it's portrayal dependent.
I agree. The connection to the oxygen destroyer makes it powerful but can also hold it back story wise.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I just finished another rewatch of this, and it's confirmed my fear of it not being so great. This'll be controversial, but I think it's not that much better than Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla. Still, there's some great scenes and moments, but it's mostly stuff that people talk about: the emotionality of the death scene(s), Destoroyah looking cool and being cool, and the Burning Godzilla suit. The fight between Godzilla and Destoroyah is a highlight of the Heisei series, with a nice mix of melee and beams, but it ends in such a lame way and feels incomplete when you know Godzilla was supposed to get the final blast on Destoroyah. Desotorayh feels confusing and undercooked, with an amazing design but unsure how dangerous they want it to be. The film wants you to draw parallels between Godzilla and the Atomic Bomb with Destoroyah and the Oxygen Destroyer, but the link is so poorly explained and it never seems full needled through. The characters are some of the worst in the series, with making a big deal out of Dr. Ijin, Yamane and the College Student, but then having them do basically nothing at a certain point in the film.

Also here's something. Has anyone ever noticed what MIGHT be photos from Showa films in the movie? I apologize for the photo, it's a photo I shot with my iPhone on a big TV, but I can assure you the actual moment in the film is too unclear to say for certain.

It looks like there's various Showa suits, like the infamous dance on Planet X, the Godzilla from EHOTD about to grab Daiyo, and what might be this. However, it's also possible that the "Planet X jump" is just a static image of Godzilla 1984, this one:

I think that one in the top right might be a variation on this poster/still:
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

That's definitely the jumping dance from Monster Zero. 100% sure of that.

Even though a lot of people don't like how Destroyer is defeated, what they went with looks far better staged and shot than the deleted footage they didn't use.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

One of those stills definitely is from M vs G.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

edgaguirus wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:31 am One of those stills definitely is from M vs G.
I think it’s a pretty funny roarsach test. While I agree with you, what you see as Mothra might also be a specific shot of Ghidorah 91 swooping in to attack Godzilla.

I’m not debating anyone on what they see btw, I’m pretty sure it is all Showa stuff, but I can also see it being Heisei stuff too.

But anyways this confirms…
That poster of the Showa era stills in Godzilla vs. Destoroyah means the Heisei timeline is a continuation of the Showa series, but everyone forgot thanks to time travel in 91! That explains why the Heisei guidebook says The Mysterians attacked! Time to hobble together a 30 minute video on this theory and have a clickbaity image to get tons of views on YouTube!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

That's definitely 1964 Mothra flying over Godzilla.

Kongqueror
Ronin

Post by Kongqueror »

Maybe Godzilla and Kaiju attacks on Japan inspired an in universe movie studio to make movies about similar creatures portrayed by men in suits.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Damn! I came into this thread to say something else but I took another look at this photo and I realized something. All the photos on the wall are of every Godzilla film in release order. Take a very close look - it all works out. Only Godzilla's Revenge is missing, which I don't mind since it's an out of universe story anyway.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Even GVB only stook to photos of G'84.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:50 pm ^Even GVB only stook to photos of G'84.
Come again?