Boutique Blu-ray

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Re: Boutique Blu-ray

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Attack of the 50 foot woman finally coming to blu-ray.

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/stat ... i1v84_g_aw
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

A UK label called Fractured Visions tweeted this. A teaser for 4 Japanese titles they've just acquired:
... ranging from Kaiju and brutal revenge epics to classic J-horror
https://mobile.twitter.com/FracVis/stat ... 4899552262

Wonder what it'll turn out to be? And, importantly, I hope it's a region free release!

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Angilasman wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:59 pm A UK label called Fractured Visions tweeted this. A teaser for 4 Japanese titles they've just acquired:
... ranging from Kaiju and brutal revenge epics to classic J-horror
https://mobile.twitter.com/FracVis/stat ... 4899552262

Wonder what it'll turn out to be? And, importantly, I hope it's a region free release!
That almost sounds like the Criterion Eclipse “When Horror Came to Shochiku” set. X From Outer Space for kaiju, The Living Skeleton is described as a tale of revenge (I haven’t seen it), and Goke and Genocide are both horror films.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ That's a great guess! I certainly would like to see X on Blu-ray (with both English dubs!)

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

gvamp wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:36 pm Shout Factory has got some good stuff coming out in the next couple of months. Obviously, we know about Army of Darkness and Evil Dead Remake on 4K, but I cannot wait for their November releases of Piranha on 4K and The Company of Wolves on 4K. If you've never seen the latter, it's amazing one of the best werewolf movies made and very atmospheric.
Love Company if Wolves. Have, but haven't read, the book The Bloody Chamber, which contains the short stories that were adapted into the movie. Good excuse to do so before the Blu-ray!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

BTW, Scream Factory has got a pretty great 10th anniversary sale going on their website for a few more days. Good chance to, like me, pick off a bunch of titles that have been on your 'to buy' list for years for half the price!
Last edited by Angilasman on Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Return of Swamp Thing coming in 4K.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Arrow announces both Angela Mao (Hapkido and Lady Kung Fu) and Sonny Chiba (The Executioner 1&2) double features to be released in January. Okay, that's a light month, which is good because Christmas will have just ended. Oh, RoninFlix has announced they're reissuing two Jet Li films, Fist of Legend and Tai Chi Master, as a double feature Blu-ray? Okay, that's three releases. That's doable.

... aaaaand now news leaks that Shout Factory will also be releasing a big Jackie Chan box set (labeled 'volume 1') in January.

It's too much!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Wondering if I should wait for the rumored Shout Factory release of King Kong Lives or just buy Umbrella's region free Blu-ray that's about to come out in Australia?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Angilasman wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:04 am Wondering if I should wait for the rumored Shout Factory release of King Kong Lives or just buy Umbrella's region free Blu-ray that's about to come out in Australia?
Don't think there would be necessarily any issues with waiting. Might as well have all your options available to you.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Cool cover on the Umbrella one, though. The Japanese poster! Guess I'll wait to see what art and extras the US release has. You're right!

m0nster01
Samurai

Post by m0nster01 »

Legend of Dinosaurs and Monster Birds is already out of stock?!

Or did it get delayed?

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ people have already gotten their's, so it must be out of stock! Must've underestimated the sheer popularity of... Legend of the Dinosaurs and Monster Birds?!

In other news, the releases of classic HK genre stuff continues: Iron Monkey and Zu Warriors of the Magic Mountain on Blu from Shout in February. Two legendary flicks I haven't seen!

m0nster01
Samurai

Post by m0nster01 »

As a follow up, Amazon did list some copies of Legend of Dinosaurs and Monster Birds from a third party company.

I ordered it Friday and hopefully it will be here by the sixteenth, although Amazon has been slacking in the two day shipping guarantee lately.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Always great to see the major studios (not just the boutique labels) putting out a new catalog release loaded with new special features, in this case: Paramount's blu-ray/4K of Dragonslayer, which has a new 6-part making of, screen tests, and a commentary track by the director joined by Guillermo del Toro! And this is a movie people were really desperate to have in HD on physical media at all! Lotta folks would've been happy with a bare bones release.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Dragonslayer? In 4K? SOLD!!

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Toei's excellent, star-studded The Bullet Train is receiving a new Blu from both Eureka (UK) and Discotek (US).
Spoiler:
While the Eureka release will include the shorter dubbed export version, Discotek's version does not appear to have it.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ Saw the Discotek livestream where they announced Bullet Train. They actually said it might take a little while for this release to come out because they want to make it better in some way - so maybe they're seeing if they can get more stuff that'll be on the Eureka release? They pointedly didn't give details. They all seemed really jazzed about releasing this movie, so hopefully it'll have some bells and whistles.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Hey, how's that for timing. I was planning on watching Speed soon, but now I can see the movie it was based on first. I didn't even know The Bullet Train existed.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Finally! KINO has licensed Columbo. One blu-ray set for the original '60s-'70s episodes and another for the later TV movies.