Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
UltramanGoji

Re: Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

Post by UltramanGoji »

KaijuMan80 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:52 pm So question I live on the west coast but have never seen gorosaurus or the new monsterverse Ghidorah.
You missed Goro by a year or two, he's been out for a while. Wouldn't be surprised if your local stores were raided by resellers or just never got the shipment. Ghidorah hasn't been widely released yet, just trickled out here and there.
KaijuMan80 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:52 pm And where can I go to get up to date news on this line? Thanks!
Literally nowhere but social media accounts and forums like this lol. Sometimes Playmates does press releases for new figures but they never have specific release dates or as in-depth communication with collectors like NECA or other companies do. It's basically just "you'll find out when a figure is out when you find it at your local store".

KaijuMan80
GPN Volunteer

Post by KaijuMan80 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:32 pm
KaijuMan80 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:52 pm So question I live on the west coast but have never seen gorosaurus or the new monsterverse Ghidorah.
You missed Goro by a year or two, he's been out for a while. Wouldn't be surprised if your local stores were raided by resellers or just never got the shipment. Ghidorah hasn't been widely released yet, just trickled out here and there.
KaijuMan80 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:52 pm And where can I go to get up to date news on this line? Thanks!
Literally nowhere but social media accounts and forums like this lol. Sometimes Playmates does press releases for new figures but they never have specific release dates or as in-depth communication with collectors like NECA or other companies do. It's basically just "you'll find out when a figure is out when you find it at your local store".
Ah okay thanks!

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Still waiting for Monsterverse Ghidorah and Baragon desperately. Terrestris and Shin are on preorder.

Could also still use Warbat and Mecha2021, although I'm starting to question if I still want the latter.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

I need to just bite the bullet on a Skullcrawler figure because it looks nice and I doubt MMS will have one anytime soon.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Gojirasaur
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirasaur »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:02 pm Hoping a Varan and Manda are on the way
I'm hoping any Manda they do surpasses what Bandai just did. Not a difficult task, but I do worry about the limbs and whiskers at this scale with the materials they use, and the "toy" aspect versus being made as a collectible. If they mold those feet against the body like the Bandai, I won't be happy.

Being Playmates, his dainty feet might actually be best molded against a Gotengo like on past vinyl figures.

Just get the head and a face right at least...

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Their little one makes an excellent semi-color-matched Two Legged Lizard substitute for Illustrated Kong.

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:02 pm Hoping a Varan and Manda are on the way
Did Bandai ever release a Gabara figure? I don’t collect Bandai vinyls due to price and scarcity, but I don’t ever recall seeing a Gabara. If there isn’t one then I would hope that Playmates would tackle it to help fill in that gap.

I still haven’t found any of the newer Playmates figures beyond Rodan, Gorosaurus and the large Godzilla ‘54.
Katatonia, Within Temptation, Klone, Tool, Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, The Birthday Massacre, My Epic, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Bush, Silverchair ('94-'01), Evergrey, Metallica, etc.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

FlawedCoil82 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:40 pm
Did Bandai ever release a Gabara figure? I don’t collect Bandai vinyls due to price and scarcity, but I don’t ever recall seeing a Gabara. If there isn’t one then I would hope that Playmates would tackle it to help fill in that gap.

I still haven’t found any of the newer Playmates figures beyond Rodan, Gorosaurus and the large Godzilla ‘54.
Bandai has not made a Gabara in any major scale.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

JVM wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:22 am
FlawedCoil82 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:40 pm

Bandai has not made a Gabara in any major scale.
Wow, that’s one Playmates should take on then. It would help fill in a lot of collector’s gaps.
Katatonia, Within Temptation, Klone, Tool, Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, The Birthday Massacre, My Epic, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Bush, Silverchair ('94-'01), Evergrey, Metallica, etc.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I'd imagine people who desperately want a Gabara probably already have the YMSF one.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

I don’t. Never liked the sculpt (or the cheesy paint job most of them had) enough to pay the prices it commanded, even back when it was under $50.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:13 am I'd imagine people who desperately want a Gabara probably already have the YMSF one.
What about the newer collectors who never had the chance to get one?

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Even MMS hasn’t tackled Gabara yet, it seems. Playmates could give it a go if they wanted, I think the adult collectors alone would help it sell decently well.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Gojirasaur
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirasaur »

I love the character, as he's inspired by Japanese folklore (Oni), just like King Caesar (Shisa), and Manda (Ryu). As such, I'd think he has some salability outside the franchise as a representation of a demon. I wish SHMA would tackle him, but he's pretty basic so MMS would be fine for now.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I want Gabara but have never gotten a YMSF of him. :P Bring on an MMS or Playmates.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

UltramanGoji wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:22 am
Legion1979 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:13 am I'd imagine people who desperately want a Gabara probably already have the YMSF one.
Even so, it's not exactly brain dead easy to get YMSF stuff. I didn't even know they existed until relatively recently.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Price and availability will always be factors for a purchase. Also I suppose "aesthetic". Its why for the longest time I held off on 3P Transformers figures. Hasbro would eventually do them more or less well, for an affordable retail price. I am curious what a MMS or Playmates Gabara would look like.

Gojirasaur
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirasaur »

StardustGenius wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:39 am Its why for the longest time I held off on 3P Transformers figures. Hasbro would eventually do them more or less well, for an affordable retail price.
Clearly, you've never seen or held X-Transbots' Klaatu. There's no way TT can ever meet the bar on that 3P Cosmos. He's perfection for that character.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Fermix wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:50 am
UltramanGoji wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:22 am
Even so, it's not exactly brain dead easy to get YMSF stuff. I didn't even know they existed until relatively recently.
I mean, it is legit just messaging them on Facebook or Instagram when they announce figures going on sale.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Gojirasaur wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:53 pm
StardustGenius wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:39 am Its why for the longest time I held off on 3P Transformers figures. Hasbro would eventually do them more or less well, for an affordable retail price.
Clearly, you've never seen or held X-Transbots' Klaatu. There's no way TT can ever meet the bar on that 3P Cosmos. He's perfection for that character.
Very true, but X-Transbots Klaatu is $100+. Generations Legacy Deluxe class Cosmos is a fourth of that, and he scales with what I collect.