Depression And Mental Health Support Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Depression And Mental Health Support Thread

Post by eabaker »

Vakanai wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:31 pm Sorry, probably too much of a wall of text there, and more than I intended. Just kind of came spilling out once I started typing. Like my problems aren't that much, people have it much worse than I do. Just got to figure it out somehow. But thank you both, really.
You don't need to apologize for expressing yourself sincerely and openly. With everything you're dealing with, you could probably write a novel and still be leaving things unexpressed, so one long paragraph was definitely not going overboard.
Last edited by eabaker on Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

eabaker wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:14 am
Vakanai wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:31 pm Sorry, probably too much of a wall of text there, and more than I intended. Just kind of came spilling out once I started typing. Like my problems aren't that much, people have it much worse than I do. Just got to figure it out somehow. But thank you both, really.
You don't need to apologize for expressing yourself sincerely and openly. With everything you're dealing with, you could probably write a novel and still be leaving things unexpressed, so one long paragraph was definitely not going overboard.
Thank you. Definitely couldn't write a novel - novels are orderly and structured by nature, and nothing about this is in the least. It's just a random mess of feelings that sometimes haunt me, and other times go off unpredictably. Sometimes I feel moody and depressed, occasionally angry, often awkward and out of sorts, and there's this weird full body awareness that's just unpleasant. Like used to I would forget about my shape and size right. Like I'm a relatively big person at like 5'9 and cursed with a frame a football player might envy, just barrel torso'ed and broad shoulders and thick neck, which like, rationally I know some men would love to have, but I always felt smaller and daintier frankly, and when reminded of my size it would occasionally startle me a bit - but now I feel my size and broadness all the time and it's just horrible, like some misshapen frankenstein monster. I never realized before just how much I used to not feel my body, like I guess I somehow disemodied or dissassociated with it for so long without even knowing that's what I was doing, but know I just...feel my body, all the time and I don't like feeling how big it all is, it's too much. Like I can feel that my toes are way down there, and my shoulders are so far apart, and my forehead is so big, and my waist just doesn't narrow and never will no matter how much weight I could lose. Oh my god, I'm aware of my flat, masculine chest in a way I shouldn't be, and just the longing for "more" there, for Christ's sake.

And those aren't even all the feelings. There's this awkward social thing that'd take another paragraph or two to try and describe. Or the need to shave or pluck my body and facial hair all the time and god I wish my skin was smoother. And I won't go into details, but anything NSFW just is so off putting now and makes me feel so wrong, I just can't do "that" anymore without freaking out after. And sometimes I just feel so disgusting all over, like my body is some nasty gross thing all over and on me. Or how my voice just sounds so manly, even my inner head voice, that thinking or talking to myself can sometimes get me down from that alone a bit. Or how my reflection when I'm trying to not look in mirrors but see it in my side vision feels like some kind of strange cryptid or creepypasta silently stalking me. How I feel around women. How I feel around men. How I feel around family. Just so out of place like I don't belong. Or how good it feels when I do something girly like buff my nails, just think about what it could be like to wear a dress or something pretty, or if my body wasn't this, or just chatting online in "girl talk" mode, and how bad and distressing I feel afterwards knowing why it felt so good.

Just...my life was easier when I couldn't explain my feelings, when I didn't know that my feelings that I couldn't describe were tied into my gender. It was all just background noise I had become accustomed to tuning out long ago because I had accepted there was nothing I could do about it because there was no discernable cause. And now it's not background noise anymore, and I feel it all again, only worse and in strange new ways because I now know the cause and what they mean and I just can't stand it at all. I'm not equipped to deal with these feelings, I never have been, that's why so much of my life has been spent bottling my emotions and feelings and pushing them down, distracting myself with tv and internet and anything that takes my attention and just gets my mind dulled down. Which is probably part of the reason I didn't figure out I was this earlier on in life, so I feel so stupid besides. And I keep bringing up how stupid I feel elsewhere when discussing this or thinking about it because omg I like feeling stupid, because when I'm feeling like an idiot I'm not feeling everything else so much. Focusing on any other fault or flaw of mine, as bad as it makes me feel, makes me feel less bad because I'm not feeling my gender and body and cultural expectations and how I've spent all my life modulating every action and way I talk and act to just try and fail to blend in with everyone else and it's just...so much so often that I often think "I could die", and I'm scared because try as I can not to think about it, I want to die. I'm not suicidal, I'm not a danger to myself, I have no plans to kill myself and I never will - but I still just want to die. Because of this. I want to die because I'm positive I'm a trans woman living in this body and this world and this time and it's all just too much and there's no future I can imagine that's not this hell. And I just want to go back to my hurt ignorance and numb shell of just wistfully moving through the motions of life and wondering "why" like some kind of a ghost. Because as horrid an existence that might sound to any other person, that was my life, and it was better than this.

And let's not forget how aware I've suddenly come about one of the political parties in my country's desire and dedication to destroying rights for people like me, all the talk about bathrooms and sports and pronouns and just all this freaking bull that just ignores and steamrolls over how all of this just feels. I wish every single one of those politicians and conservative news junkies a long and bitter bout of dysphoria and then let them try and talk about the issues like they know anything other than their gut reactions and unease about this.

Ok, so this time I really did go on a bit too long, but I just needed the vent (which is saying something, because I've been venting out these feelings all over the web past little bit), so for real this time, sorry about that. Just, it's a lot that I never thought I had to go through mixed with a lot I never fully understood I was going through because it was just my life you know.

Added in 1 minute 1 second:
Voyager wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:45 pm What’s happened there? ^

Eabaker quoted Vakanai quoting eabaker, but in reality it’s Vakanai quoting himself.
But I didn't quote myself? Sorry? I don't know.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Voyager wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:45 pm What’s happened there? ^

Eabaker quoted Vakanai quoting eabaker, but in reality it’s Vakanai quoting himself.
This seems to be happening a lot lately. I'm not sure if it's just coincidental user error or a bug with the forums. If it keeps happening, I'll mention it to Arbok.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I'm a high functioning alcoholic. I've been an alcoholic since I was 20, but during the pandemic it got worse. No excuses. It's made me paranoid, careless, and stupid. When I'm relatively sober I'm really smart and productive. Even though I've been really successful throughout my life, I feel like I could've done more if I wasn't drinking so much. I’ve never done anything super bad under the influence of alcohol, but I’ve definitely made poor decisions and disappointed people that care/d about me. There’s people I would’ve treated a lot better if I wasn’t such an alcoholic.

I want to stop drinking, but I feel weird because I don't know how I'm going to socialize with people. I think I’ll try to pour my attention towards creative writing, my job, and my family.

First step towards getting over alcoholism is admitting you’re an alcoholic. I’ve been told and questioned by people about my drinking habits before, and while nothing major happened, I kind of just realized a lot of them were right. I need to stop drinking.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:21 am I'm a high functioning alcoholic. I've been an alcoholic since I was 20, but during the pandemic it got worse. No excuses. It's made me paranoid, careless, and stupid. When I'm relatively sober I'm really smart and productive. Even though I've been really successful throughout my life, I feel like I could've done more if I wasn't drinking so much. I’ve never done anything super bad under the influence of alcohol, but I’ve definitely made poor decisions and disappointed people that care/d about me. There’s people I would’ve treated a lot better if I wasn’t such an alcoholic.

I want to stop drinking, but I feel weird because I don't know how I'm going to socialize with people. I think I’ll try to pour my attention towards creative writing, my job, and my family.

First step towards getting over alcoholism is admitting you’re an alcoholic. I’ve been told and questioned by people about my drinking habits before, and while nothing major happened, I kind of just realized a lot of them were right. I need to stop drinking.
Congratulations on taking the first step, and thank you for trusting this group enough to be open.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I don't know if I should put this in this thread or the relationships thread, but I guess it fits here. I've known for a while my continual status as single has more to do with a personal unwillingness to start a romantic relationship than the stoic and carefree personality I project. While there is a myriad of reasons I convince myself to remain single (some true some completely fabricated), one thing that seems to keep happening is a fluctuating mental stability. I've experienced bouts of depression and anxiety in the past (mostly driven by environmental circumstances), but overall I've learned to cope pretty well, and for the most part consider myself to have a really healthy state of mental health. That is when I am not focusing on perusing anything romantic. For whatever reason, almost every time I start fixate on starting a relationship my mental health goes to poop (there have been a few instances this hasn't occurred but they seem to be the exception to the rule). The idea of starting a relationship completely bugs me out, and its not uncommon to induce a state of severe panic or anxiety. So for the most part, I've just avoided doing this to the best of my ability, which works well sometimes, and not so well other times. The reason I write this post is because just the other day a family friend tried to set me up with someone who had a decent amount in common with me, and it completely freaked me out. I ended up rejecting the whole thing, giving a somewhat legitimate reason for not being interested, but the event kind of screwed up the rest of my day. I spent the next few hours ruminating on that, and I really wasn't in a good headspace for the rest of the day, feeling a mix of anxiety, stress, and nausea. I'm doing much better today, and I just wanted to get this off my chest I guess, but I don't know sometimes I wish I could just avoid this entirely. In honest truth, I'm quite happy remaining in a state of being single, yet that internal desire to find someone still pops up every once and a while. I'm usually not one to fantasize about magical hypothetical alternatives, but if I could get rid of any concern to start a romantic relationship by either internal or external stimuli, I probably would.
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:31 pm I'm doing much better today, and I just wanted to get this off my chest I guess, but I don't know sometimes I wish I could just avoid this entirely. In honest truth, I'm quite happy remaining in a state of being single, yet that internal desire to find someone still pops up every once and a while. I'm usually not one to fantasize about magical hypothetical alternatives, but if I could get rid of any concern to start a romantic relationship by either internal or external stimuli, I probably would.
I am glad to hear your doing better, I am sorry you even had to feel this way an for the delayed reply.

I found myself relating to your post as I am also quite content remaining in a state of being single but I to have that desire to find someone especially when I consistently see it with everyone around me.

I often think that there's something wrong with me, if it be my personality, looks, a combination of both or maybe I just truly have nothing to offer so I think why would anyone waste there time.

It just further reinforces me becoming more of a antisocial person because I just feel so uncomfortable in my own skin. It's exhausting feeling this way even after a few hours after I just wake up I feel emotionally drained that I just want to go back to bed. It's been this way for a long time now but it's gotten progressively worse over the last year or 2.

I am honestly clueless on how to further approach the situation anymore.
Last edited by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX on Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Sorry guys, I'm gonna dump a bit here today.
Since school and my relationship have ended, I've been really working on my mental health and trying to embrace who I am. Part of that is being out of the closet.
I'm bisexual, I guess if I had to put a label on it. Some people in my life know, but the way the world is these days, I no longer want to live in uncertain terms. I'm learning to love my queer identity, and now I want to share it here. I've wasted too much time contributing to hate by inaction or talking about things I don't understand from a place of ignorance. I have a lot to make right, and this is my first real step to putting my foot down.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:17 pm Sorry guys, I'm gonna dump a bit here today.
Since school and my relationship have ended, I've been really working on my mental health and trying to embrace who I am. Part of that is being out of the closet.
I'm bisexual, I guess if I had to put a label on it. Some people in my life know, but the way the world is these days, I no longer want to live in uncertain terms. I'm learning to love my queer identity, and now I want to share it here. I've wasted too much time contributing to hate by inaction or talking about things I don't understand from a place of ignorance. I have a lot to make right, and this is my first real step to putting my foot down.
Congratulations on taking that step! I’m glad you are who you are and not necessarily who others want you to be.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:17 pm Sorry guys, I'm gonna dump a bit here today.
Hey, good for you for having the courage to be open about who you are!
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Hey, we're with you all the way man. You're the same great dude no matter what you identify as!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Good on you for having the courage to come out like this. :)

Good luck towards improving your mental health.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Beast Blood
G-Force Personnel

Post by Beast Blood »

My ADHD is driving me absolutely insane. I have a lot of free time, but rarely end up doing anything with it because I simply cannot. I want to be productive, but my mind won't shut up and stay still for more than a handful of seconds. And my medication for it doesn't seem to be doing much. I'm on a waiting list for a new doctor since mine is retiring, so I'm not even sure if I can get proper help for it at the moment.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I talked with a friend today about my experience with depression. Based on how I described it, he said it was situational depression as opposed to clinical. The triggering factor is always when my hopes and expectations for something special is not met, i.e birthdays or going on a trip. It lasts months at a time.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:33 pm I talked with a friend today about my experience with depression. Based on how I described it, he said it was situational depression as opposed to clinical. The triggering factor is always when my hopes and expectations for something special is not met, i.e birthdays or going on a trip. It lasts months at a time.
It wouldn’t be a bad idea to talk to a professional during those bouts of depression. It can be done online if you are pressed for time.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Over the past few days I have began to feel depression rebound.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Rant incoming:
My therapist told me I've made great progress in the last year and a half. And I feel it. But the more progress I make to be "healthy" the more apparent it becomes that being "healthy" just means being more in control of my mess. It doesn't take away the mess. It's like physical therapy for an injury that's never gonna heal to 100% again.
At first being diagnosed with ADHD made things easier for me, but the longer I wait for my medication the more uncertainty creeps into my mind and the more shitty I feel about myself. Why did I have to be born 'broken' y'know? Why didn't anyone notice when I was younger and spare me all these years of existing as a walking dumpster fire of chaos? I saw a specialist and they said that the root of much of my depression and anxiety are shaped my my ADHD brain. If I'd been treated for it instead of treated like a fuck up in my youth maybe I wouldn't be struggling so much at the present.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:15 pm Rant incoming:
My therapist told me I've made great progress in the last year and a half. And I feel it. But the more progress I make to be "healthy" the more apparent it becomes that being "healthy" just means being more in control of my mess. It doesn't take away the mess. It's like physical therapy for an injury that's never gonna heal to 100% again.
At first being diagnosed with ADHD made things easier for me, but the longer I wait for my medication the more uncertainty creeps into my mind and the more shitty I feel about myself. Why did I have to be born 'broken' y'know? Why didn't anyone notice when I was younger and spare me all these years of existing as a walking dumpster fire of chaos? I saw a specialist and they said that the root of much of my depression and anxiety are shaped my my ADHD brain. If I'd been treated for it instead of treated like a fuck up in my youth maybe I wouldn't be struggling so much at the present.
I’m glad you have made progress! I’m sorry that things started out badly but they are behind you. I hope that you can continue focusing on where you are now and maintain your forward progress.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I understand this sentiment. You sound a lot like me. I would say the important thing is you’re getting treatment now. I hope it leads your life in a positive direction. If you ever need to talk about things, especially ADHD related, I’m only a message away. Good luck to you. ADHD doesn’t have to derail your life and there are aspects of it you can learn to use to your advantage!

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Psychological scars can run deep. It might not heal 100%, but I think you’re doing great so far. The best you can do is to try and redefine that relationship you have with your brain. “Be kind to ya mind,” as I’ve learned. I’ve had to do similar things for myself, and it’s a helluva work in progress… but the moments where it works are some of the best feelings I’ve experienced. The moments where you’re more at peace with yourself are worth the struggle.

I hope you can keep trying to live with that ADHD, I know some people who live with it so I was drawn to your post in particular. I’m rooting for you.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image